Cabbage Correira Suspended By CSAC For Pulling Out Of Wargods

Sherdog:

The California State Athletic Commission suspended Wesley “Cabbage” Correira last week for failing to satisfy a one-fight contract to face Buddy Clinton at a co-promoted Wargods and Ken Shamrock Productions event on Feb. 13 in Fresno, Calif.

Correira (19-14) pulled out of the bout backstage at the Selland Arena an hour before his scheduled bout, he said after he learned the promotion would be cutting his fight purse in half to cover last-minute costs for his state-required medical tests.

The 30-year-old Hawaiian known for his granite chin told Sherdog.com on Friday that he’d been issued a letter from the regulatory agency late last week, stating that he must hold up his end of an agreement he signed with the California-based promotion before he would be licensed to fight anywhere else in the state again.

A Wargods representative said the four-time UFC veteran will be asked to headline the promotion’s next event on May 30 in San Diego, though Correira was slated to face Lavar Johnson for the vacant Palace Fighting Championship heavyweight title on May 8 in Lemoore, Calif. PFC promoter Christian Printup could not be immediately reached for comment, though the event is held on sovereign land and not overseen by the CSAC.

DISCUSS THIS NEWS IN THE MMANEWS.COM FORUMS >>


Want to advertise your site in this space? E-mail the website staff today!