When Nate Diaz fights Conor McGregor in an immediate welterweight rematch of their UFC 196 fight earlier this month at the upcoming landmark UFC 200 event in July, a fight that is expected to be made official this week, he is expecting all kinds of pre-fight trash talk from “The Notorious” one, even if he’s not sure what McGregor could even say this time around.
Diaz, who isn’t able to talk much about the McGregor fight yet because it hasn’t been officially announced by the UFC, spoke with ESPN’s “SportsNation” on Thursday about trash-talk he expects to hear from McGregor the second time around.
“He’s got his little moves, so he’s probably got a bunch of stuff lined up,” Diaz said. “But there is not much to say.”
Regarding the fact that even in defeat, McGregor is getting credit for going up two weight classes to attempt to fight Diaz when in reality, Diaz is a lightweight contender who took a fight on short notice and had to fight at 170 pounds, the Stockton native admits that it bothers him.
“Yeah, it does bother me,” Diaz said. “He was already talking about going up and fighting the welterweight champ and taking him out and even fighting at 185 and all these things. When he lost the fight, he’s getting all this credit for going up two weight classes. But I’m really only one weight class above him. I’m a lightweight.
“I’m only one class ahead of him. He’s moving up and he already talked about being the welterweight champ. Now he fought a lightweight contender and he’s talking he went up two weight classes.”
McGregor-Diaz II is expected to be officially announced as the UFC 200 main event this week. UFC 200 takes place on Saturday, July 9, 2016 from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.