PDA

View Full Version : Champions of Tomorrow

Thaistylist
05-30-2007, 07:28 PM
Now I follow boxing pretty closely but not as much as some of you. Last week Rogan made that statement that there will be no more new stars in boxing which I think must be dead wrong. So I was just wondering who you guys think will be some of the next big stars in boxing.

My obvious choice would be Sam Peter. Everyone loves a skilled and well rounded hw, he just needs a shot.

who else?

Afro
05-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Chad Dawson at LHW

Joe Calzaghe is already considered an all-time great in his weight class

Manny Pacquiao is still young, still could be one of the best LWs of all-time

Sam Peter at HW for sure

Kelly Pavlik AND Edison Miranda are both exciting, good boxers

Arthur Abraham is severly underlooked

Ricky Hatton is already on the rise, and hes got his first fight against a top, known boxer soon

Paul Williams

Thaistylist
05-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Isnt calzaghe old

Afro
05-30-2007, 08:26 PM
shit he is, I thought he was 28 lol

The Man In Black
05-30-2007, 08:29 PM
I would say sam peter and pac man definatley. Somebody who most likley won't be superstar but is fun as hell to watch is Pavlik. I actually watched him for the first time before the taylor fight and he and and miranda put on a good show and put on a much better fight then the taylor fight.

Thaistylist
05-30-2007, 08:37 PM
I like the way both Pavlik and Miranda fight. What are your thoughts on Juan Diaz

The Man In Black
05-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Haven't seen that much of diaz(none live actually), but he seems like a smart fighter that can mix it up but hes always aware of how hes going to have to win each fight. Also how disappointed were you with the taylor fight. I was away at college for a year and my school doesn't get hbo so i haven't seen a live boxing match(that matters) in a while and the miranda pavlik fight got me pumped up just to be extremely disappointed and actually pissed off.

Afro
05-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Man the Pavlik/Miranda fight was worth it though, that was a worthless card.. it seemed its only purpose was to set up a future match between Taylor/Pavlik which im sure more people will see now since Pavlik gave them reason to, Taylor certainly didnt

Punk Ass
05-30-2007, 10:29 PM
Andre Ward will be the PBF.

Andy Lee is a great prospect.

Julio Ceasar Chavez jr. is really good also.

Salvy_Mic
05-31-2007, 01:59 AM
I like Andy Lee, I also think the Peterson brothers, especially Anthony, can be very special. I also see big things for David Haye, that guy looks like a future HW champion of the world. Also Andre Berto and if Cotto beats Judah, then beats Margarito and somehow is able to get a fight with Hatton or Mayweather, then he can be the next superstar. Hell, wins over Zab Judah and Antonio Margarito make him a legit superstar already, and probably make him the true heir to Felix Trinidad.

JimmyMoore
05-31-2007, 09:21 AM
Yeah, Andre Berto has the potential to be huge. The guy has bricks in both hands and considerable speed. 18 wins with 16 KO's and no losses = keep an eye on this kid.

Afro
05-31-2007, 09:32 AM
I like Andy Lee, I also think the Peterson brothers, especially Anthony, can be very special. I also see big things for David Haye, that guy looks like a future HW champion of the world. Also Andre Berto and if Cotto beats Judah, then beats Margarito and somehow is able to get a fight with Hatton or Mayweather, then he can be the next superstar. Hell, wins over Zab Judah and Antonio Margarito make him a legit superstar already, and probably make him the true heir to Felix Trinidad.
yes the Petersons are damn good

what about David Diaz? hes got a big fight comin up soon

Salvy_Mic
05-31-2007, 11:45 AM
I honestly haven't seen much of David Diaz, but I know he's good. Let's see how he does against Morales the legend, and let's see how much left Morales actually has. The fight's gonna be in Chicago, Diaz' hometown, but since Chicago has mostly Mexicans as far as Latinos go, it'll almost certainly be a pro-Morales crowd. I'd like to know how he'll cope with that. Julio and Juan Diaz, though, look like they can be stars.

Caine2878
05-31-2007, 12:52 PM
I love watching the Peterson brothers and I hope soon they will be put in with someone that will actually test them. Andre Ward will run the LHW div soon. Berto is also a very good prospect.

klev1
06-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Andre Berto, Rey "boom boom" Bautista, Andy Lee, Mikkel Kessler (he's semi-young), and Joel Julio...look out for them.

klev1
06-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Man the Pavlik/Miranda fight was worth it though, that was a worthless card.. it seemed its only purpose was to set up a future match between Taylor/Pavlik which im sure more people will see now since Pavlik gave them reason to, Taylor certainly didnt

This was actually to set up the Taylor/Miranda match. Notice how they had a 10 minute feature on Miranda prior to his fight with Pavlik?

Pa951
06-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Exactly. In my opinion Ward is a Mayweather prototype with better punching power. His defense could use a little work, but barring anything catastrophic, he should be great.

Punk Ass
06-08-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm surprised no one is mentioning Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. He already has 31 wins with 24 by KO, all since his debut in 2003, and he's only 21 year old.

He really seems to be on his fathers fast track to greatness, that's a lot of experience for such a young fighter.

klev1
06-08-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm surprised no one is mentioning Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. He already has 31 wins with 24 by KO, all since his debut in 2003, and he's only 21 year old.

He really seems to be on his fathers fast track to greatness, that's a lot of experience for such a young fighter.
Have you seen him fight????? He hasn't fought anyone with a pulse!!! Seriously, i believe the last 2 fights he fought were fighters moving up from the 130 weight class. JCC Jr will be the next Hector Camacho Jr.

I'm not saying JCC Jr. will not be good, he just hasn't shown anything, don't let the record fool you.

Punk Ass
06-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Have you seen him fight????? He hasn't fought anyone with a pulse!!! Seriously, i believe the last 2 fights he fought were fighters moving up from the 130 weight class. JCC Jr will be the next Hector Camacho Jr.

I'm not saying JCC Jr. will not be good, he just hasn't shown anything, don't let the record fool you.

That's not true. Jermaine White and Anthony Shuler are both pretty good up and coming fighters.

Afro
06-08-2007, 02:23 PM
JCC jr wont be the next Hecter Camacho Jr, we still on for that Gatti sig bet I hope.. ill even raise the bar and say JCC surpasses Sr.. I dont care how bold that statement is, im callin it right now.

As for Rogans comment, anyone else find it retarded that Boxing has pretty much a farm system for talent called the OLYMPICS that spawns out prospects every 4 years so no matter what Boxign will have new stars, as long as its an olympic sport.. which would be forever.

BTW Stuart Schaub who is labeled the top sports head in the world right now says that Miguel Cotto will be on a DLH, PBF market level within the next few years.

klev1
06-08-2007, 02:29 PM
That's not true. Jermaine White and Anthony Shuler are both pretty good up and coming fighters.
Jermaine white was a lightweight (135) fighting at welterweight 147 (by the way White only had i believe 10 pro fights before JCC). Shuler was 20-5 when he fought him...

Again, has he fought anybody NOTEWORTHY? ALL HYPE.

Afro, yes our bet is still on, but JCC Jr. still has 2 obstacles to get through before he fights Gatti, and Gatti has to get by Gomez (which i think he should).

Salvy_Mic
06-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Its kinda sad to see that Gatti is just becoming a name opponent at this phase of his career. The heart is there, but the body isn't anymore. I love Gatti to death, but I think after the Gomez fight, he should really think about hanging them up.

I like what I see from Chavez so far, but I think its time to step up his competition, start fighting some veterans and fringe contenders, so as far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on Chavez Jr.

By the way, I agree that out of any of the top tier stars right now, Miguel Cotto does have the best shot at reaching superstardom. He's got a rabid, loyal fanbase both from Puerto Rico and New York who will follow him wherever he fights, he's lined up with two potential big fights (the Cotto/Judah winner is supposed to fight the Margarito/Williams winner in a unification bout), and there's enough talent at or around his division that he can build his name on (Mosley and Cintron at welterweight, Mayweather if his ass decides to come back down, and Hatton if he decides to move up). Not only that, but there's a steady supply of good contenders he can fight who are readying themselves for title shots (Andre Berto, Joel Julio, and of course, Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr.) And if Chavez Jr. is as good as everyone says he is and becomes a big star in his own right, than the next big megafight would be Miguel Cotto/Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr.

eskobar23
06-09-2007, 03:20 PM
andre ward, pavlick, and chavez gots a shot and villario when they give him a shot

klev1
06-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Chavez looked good...again....but....

The guy he fought has lost i believe 4 of his last 5. And the guy he beat was a JCC that didn't even train a day for the fight. They need to let him fight at least a fringe contender. Maybe a guy in the top 20 or something.

Salvy_Mic
06-12-2007, 05:27 AM
I hear talk that they're trying to get Chavez Jr. a fight with Arturo Gatti if he beats Alfonzo Gomez in July. Chavez/Gatti would then be in October or November. I don't really buy it though, I think Gatti could very well retire after the Gomez fight.

Punk Ass
06-12-2007, 08:09 AM
I hear talk that they're trying to get Chavez Jr. a fight with Arturo Gatti if he beats Alfonzo Gomez in July. Chavez/Gatti would then be in October or November. I don't really buy it though, I think Gatti could very well retire after the Gomez fight.

Gotti wouldn't turn down that payday. It would be a hell of a fight also, but I think Chavez will put him into retirement though. JCCjr is one hell of a power puncher, with very grounded, basic skills.

Salvy_Mic
06-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Gatti still has to beat Gomez, and that's not a sure bet. If Gomez beats Gatti, you can bet that Arum will not put those two in the same ring unless there's a title or a title shot on the line; Chavez is too much of an investment yet, chances are good he'll pan out and he's already got a devoted following, considering he's like a prince of Mexican boxing.

Like I said, if Chavez follows through on the promise he has, we could very well see a megafight in the future between him and Cotto.

Punk Ass
06-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Gatti still has to beat Gomez, and that's not a sure bet. If Gomez beats Gatti, you can bet that Arum will not put those two in the same ring unless there's a title or a title shot on the line; Chavez is too much of an investment yet, chances are good he'll pan out and he's already got a devoted following, considering he's like a prince of Mexican boxing.

Like I said, if Chavez follows through on the promise he has, we could very well see a megafight in the future between him and Cotto.

I don't see that as a mega fight, I see that as a 1st round slaughter at the hands of Cotto. I wuldn't even want to see that. I think Gotti would make a good gatekeeper to see if prospects could make it to the next level.

valheruking
06-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Andy Lee and Bernard Dunne.