PDA

View Full Version : Impressed with Melendez

Gurry
06-01-2007, 02:08 AM
Watching todays TUF i gave Brandon Melendez a good shot but had very little confidence in his ability to stop Grays takedown, but yet in the start of the fight it seemed impossible for Gray to hold Brandon down. In true Chuck Lidell fashion Brandon repeadetly got up until he ultimatley gassed and tapped via Guillotine. My point is, I was impressed with how well he did against a good fighter and impressed at how crisp and technical his stand-up is. I think with proper training and cardio Brandon can be a force at 155.

Gmunit
06-01-2007, 09:21 AM
I like him as a fighter, he was kinda impressive, but as far as his personality goes I think what he said to Jens was a little bitchball-ish

Diesel Riggs
06-01-2007, 09:34 AM
He wouldn't stay down, but Gray was taking him down at will. Melendez's takedown defense is like nonexistant. He was, however, close to finishing Gray a couple times. He switched to top position a few times from the bottom.

da@LARGE
06-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Melendez-Maynard was the best fight so far IMO.

earle
06-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Melendez-Maynard was the best fight so far IMO.

Agreed, great fight. I was surprised Melendez was so tough. When I saw him crying earlier in the show I thought he was done for. Good ground skills though, defended well.

Masscore
06-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Gray = This year's Koscheck

I thought it sucked for Melendez that all Gray did was take him down and try to lay on him. I think if he lasted the final round it would have gone to a 3rd extra round.

After his first fight I thought Gray was the favorite. But now I think anyone thats left, outside of Hill, will beat him.

Wouldn't mind seeing Melendez fight Emerson or Miller on the finale though.

Unreal
06-01-2007, 12:13 PM
melendez is alright imo

im just really hoping we dont see an upset between diaz and hill, diaz belongs in the finals with lauson

jlruthven84
06-01-2007, 12:21 PM
melendez is alright imo

im just really hoping we dont see an upset between diaz and hill, diaz belongs in the finals with lauson

Yeah, my dream finals match is a fight between some combination of Manny, Joe, and Nate.

My other finals dream match is to see anyone beat the fuck out of Corey Hill. I definitely think he's got loads of potential, but there's no way he should have been allowed on the show with 0 pro fights.

Krazikarl
06-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Melendez has potential, but I dont think he will ever amount to anything because of his mental condition. Maybe he will grow out of it, but he is pretty immature about his training, and I just think that the people who act more professionally will always do better even if they have lesser talent.

Gray actually looked pretty slugish at times (and he was super gassed at the end), so I think that BJ was correct when he said that the guy overtrains. He just didnt look crisp although you could tell that he had athletic ability. Get the guy more rested before his fight and I think he would look a lot better.

Beatts35
06-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Melendez was gassed from the get go. And he had the look of defeat on his face for most of the fight. Way to many sloppy tries at flying knees and superman punches.

Now, Melendez is a guy who usually fights 170 so he has a big cut to 55. Like he said if it wasn't for wang he wouldn't have made it. and he said as long as he makes 55 he doesn't care if he has zero energy left to fight.

I thought Melendez did pretty good though. He used his JJ very very well in escaping, reversing and surviving everything Grey threw his way. He was gassed and i think kinda gave up his neck without a fight in the end. It was an exciting fight and Melendez did well, he'll be back and i hope he either fights at his usual weight or gets better cardio for 55.

Grey looked pretty sloppy too. He wasn't able to control Melendez very well. and He tried choking him way to many times. He should have just started unloading on melendez when he had his back. boz the shit out of his ears.

Unreal
06-01-2007, 02:10 PM
i wanna see emerson vs miller at UFN

im really dissapointed that miller got eliminated, from his first fight (1st show) i thought he'd make it to the finals, but he had to fight the toughest guy in there and also recieved an illegal elbow. in a regular 3 round fight and without the illegal elbow im sure miller could have caught lauson with a sub.

Unreal
06-01-2007, 02:15 PM
damn that flame fest with "god" really affected my reputation, to bad we dont all live in a small island, if we did he'd have no reputation and no teeth either.

sandywh
06-01-2007, 03:03 PM
It was a funny fight. Maynard seemed to show no real defense to anything. He also put himself in a lot of bad postiotions that a more aggressive fighter would have finished him quickly. Conversely, Melendez showed no real offense. Maynard left several opportunities on the table for chokes, punches, he even left his arm out there a few times. However, Brandons defense was phenomenal. How many rear nakeds did he avoid? He spun / exploded out of a lot of bad postions. It sucked that he never capitalized on any of that. Both guys need to improve quite a bit, but I can see future for both guys provided they train hard to improve on their weaknesses.

MichaelK
06-01-2007, 03:45 PM
I was some-what impressed the way he got out of certain position, but I was moreso impressed with the way he cut the weight he did in such a short amount of time.

808botz
06-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Melendez is a big 155. He looked strong vs Gray. But common now. He had no take down D and Gave up his back to much times. He looked like Heath Herring when he fought Jake O brein. I feel cory and Melendez would of been a good fight. Dana you cock sucker Make it happen!

singinkangaroooo
06-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Melendez is a big 155. He looked strong vs Gray. But common now. He had no take down D and Gave up his back to much times. He looked like Heath Herring when he fought Jake O brein. I feel cory and Melendez would of been a good fight. Dana you cock sucker Make it happen!

ya i also wasnt really impressed with meledez either... he got taken down without even putting up any sort of defense... and his reversals are just gray's sloppy top game... idk that fight wasnt all that exciting for me.. but then again before the show i watched Huerta vs. Garcia a few times before it so that could make most fights seem dull... but still i dont think he is that impressive not even mentioning how poorly he treated Jens... poor form

ozzy2525
06-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Melendez is one fucking big 155er I think he overpowerd Gray but gassed out.
I do think that he is good but if the cut to 155 is too much for him he should stay at 170. Gray overtrained for the fight and he is way better than what he showed

leedogg900
06-01-2007, 07:38 PM
it was a good tilt, i dont think gray will make it to the finals, but hes got potential if he learns some more.

JMH
06-01-2007, 07:43 PM
wang actually redeemed himself a little bit in my eyes. Not making execuses for the way he fought, but he redeemed himself for the kick off of Team Penn.

Zenshotokai
06-01-2007, 11:11 PM
wang actually redeemed himself a little bit in my eyes. Not making execuses for the way he fought, but he redeemed himself for the kick off of Team Penn.

How do you redeem someone that is UNCOACHABLE? He did not listen to a word that BJ said and got his ass kicked. Now he helps another fighter who has no RESPECT for his coach. The two deserve each other....on the loser sideline!

Of course that is just my opinion! :grinsmile1:

JMH
06-02-2007, 12:13 AM
How do you redeem someone that is UNCOACHABLE? He did not listen to a word that BJ said and got his ass kicked. Now he helps another fighter who has no RESPECT for his coach. The two deserve each other....on the loser sideline!

Of course that is just my opinion! :grinsmile1:

They didn't go out like Gabe though.

Remember that.

Stupidity before dis-honor.

perc10
06-02-2007, 01:02 AM
I dont know about dishonor its not the core,Id go with laziness

TravelinMonty
06-02-2007, 12:40 PM
IMO Melendez severely lacks the mental toughness to be a true force in MMA. The man can't handle being coached by one of the best fighters in the world. It wasn't like he was being hazed, he just couldn't handle it. And than made up a story about wanting to be coached by both... how would that be fair to any of these guys.

It seems that 155 is a stretch for a lot of these guys and cutting the weight takes a toll on them.

With more time Maynard could be a force at 155.

As far as Andy Wang goes.... He seems like a really nice guy. But he's got serious fucking mental problems. That dude either needs intensive therapy or just get out of MMA. He's a friggin disgrace.

JMH
06-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Yea, I don't think he's that bright. His perception is mos def skewed.

Is it cause he's so short?

Mac
06-02-2007, 01:32 PM
IMO Melendez severely lacks the mental toughness to be a true force in MMA. The man can't handle being coached by one of the best fighters in the world. It wasn't like he was being hazed, he just couldn't handle it. And than made up a story about wanting to be coached by both... how would that be fair to any of these guys.

It seems that 155 is a stretch for a lot of these guys and cutting the weight takes a toll on them.

With more time Maynard could be a force at 155.

As far as Andy Wang goes.... He seems like a really nice guy. But he's got serious fucking mental problems. That dude either needs intensive therapy or just get out of MMA. He's a friggin disgrace.
Agreed, that shit Melendez pulled with the training was crap. He just couldn't take Pulver's pace.

As far as Wang goes, he's this year's Danny Abbadi.

leedogg900
06-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Agreed, that shit Melendez pulled with the training was crap. He just couldn't take Pulver's pace.

As far as Wang goes, he's this year's Danny Abbadi.

wang is ross pointon, and weems is abbadi

Zenshotokai
06-02-2007, 05:44 PM
They didn't go out like Gabe though.

Remember that.

Stupidity before dis-honor.

I guess I should just take a colonic!:blink:

You are right...that was the WORST way to go out!

Mac
06-02-2007, 06:41 PM
wang is ross pointon, and weems is abbadi
Wang is Abbadi, the way he followed Melendez around being his little bitch, just like Abbadi did with that Twat Hammill.

Gurry
06-10-2007, 06:13 PM
I guess I should just take a colonic!:blink:

You are right...that was the WORST way to go out!

even though this fight things obviously done for gabe, maybe he should look into proctology. (w/e i know it sucked, i tried ok)

CaptainCaveman
06-12-2007, 12:09 AM
http://populationpaste.com/img/2006/05/goatse/goatse01.jpg12

CaptainCaveman
06-12-2007, 12:09 AM
http://populationpaste.com/img/2006/05/goatse/goatse01.jpg12

edhttp://populationpaste.com/img/2006/05/goatse/goatse01.jpg

blah
06-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Watching todays TUF i gave Brandon Melendez a good shot but had very little confidence in his ability to stop Grays takedown, but yet in the start of the fight it seemed impossible for Gray to hold Brandon down. In true Chuck Lidell fashion Brandon repeadetly got up until he ultimatley gassed and tapped via Guillotine. My point is, I was impressed with how well he did against a good fighter and impressed at how crisp and technical his stand-up is. I think with proper training and cardio Brandon can be a force at 155.
yeah same. to the lurker poster below that said "no td d" that's not true. melendez has a good sprawl. i was expecting a dominant performance from gray, you know that typical lnp from an excellent wrestler, but he didn't look as good in terms of wrestling as i thought. melendez was close to finishing him in the 2nd with those shots he landed. on a side note, melendez was once a lhw, search him on youtube

Palma
06-22-2007, 06:06 PM
yeah same. to the lurker poster below that said "no td d" that's not true. melendez has a good sprawl. i was expecting a dominant performance from gray, you know that typical lnp from an excellent wrestler, but he didn't look as good in terms of wrestling as i thought. melendez was close to finishing him in the 2nd with those shots he landed. on a side note, melendez was once a lhw, search him on youtube

There is more to takedown D then just the sprawl and Melendez is below average at best with his sprawl.