PDA

View Full Version : Is Jens Pulver Washed Up?

da@LARGE
06-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Now I'm pretty biased here, as Pulver is one of my favorite fighters, but people seem to believe he'll be no match for BJ Penn.

No doubt Jens is the underdog, but he's 7-3 in his last 10 fights, he's only 32 years old and he's remained really active in the last few years..

Sure he had the disapointing comeback against Lauzon but we've all seen since what a beast Lauzon is. And just think of the amount of 1st round KOs that have happened since then - great fighters against less-established opponents.

Anyway, I know there's a ton of BJ fans on this forum, so I'm anxious to hear what the rest of you think.

Mac
06-02-2007, 08:25 PM
I don't think Jens can beat B.J. but I think we will see a much better Jens in this fight than the Lauzon fight. Jens does seem to fight up to his competition, meaning he will train harder for Penn than he would a Lauzon. I think he would probably like to fight Lauzon again, cause I don't believe he took that fight seriously at all. He could upset Penn as stranger things have happened, especially this year, but I don't see it happening.

Legend
06-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Pulver is not washed up and anyone who is convinced of that is way to quick to wright a fighter off. If BJ comes in shape with good cardio then my money is on him but no matter what Pulver still has a future in this sport.

Unreal
06-02-2007, 08:44 PM
my money is on pulver, probably by TKO

Afro
06-02-2007, 08:50 PM
No offense to Pulver but how can he be washed up? he hasnt fallen off or elevated, he never had an iron chin or great skills, he was a knockout striker with solid wrestling but lets not forget that Penn took him down before Penn started training hard in wrestling, and didnt even use his judo to take Pulver down.. so Pulver has always been somewhat one-dimensional, and never had the chin to stay on the feet long with guys like Lauzon who has sick skills on the feet.

leedogg900
06-02-2007, 11:44 PM
i think pulver is indeed washed up. look at his fight with bj penn, then look at his fight with joe lauzon. and i dont mean technically look at it. look the difference in his physical build. when he fought penn he was ripped, he looked alot stronger physically and in way better shape. fastforward to his fight with lauzon, he looks alot smaller and weaker, not 1/2 as ripped as he was. am i the only one who notices this? it seems like he went thru an "evan tanner like transformation" physically. not as extreme as tanner but to me he doesnt look at all the same physically as he did in his prime.

sandywh
06-03-2007, 08:48 AM
Jens was the underdog the first time around. He'll be an underdog this time against BJ. Pulver cannot be "washed up" when he still has KO power the either hand. He always one punch away....

da@LARGE
06-03-2007, 10:41 AM
when he fought penn he was ripped, he looked alot stronger physically and in way better shape. fastforward to his fight with lauzon, he looks alot smaller and weaker, not 1/2 as ripped as he was. am i the only one who notices this?

Yeah I noticed that too, there's a helluva difference.

I'd like to hear how his training's changed over the last few years. When he started it's true that a wreslter with KO power could dominate.

But lately I'm not sure how he gameplans - he loves scoring quick knock outs but if that doesn't happen, I'm not sure what his next step is.

BUt besides all that, he's such a cool guy. Has anyone watching this season's TUF become a new Pulver fan?

mjeffers365
06-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Truthfully I think Penn/Pulver is going to be a very fiercely fought contest. I see BJ Penn coming out ahead and really the pressure is on him if he loses to Pulver he is a 28yo with 3 straight losses and that would not be good for him. I think that Pulver would actually prosper a tad more if the UFC were to adopt a 145lb division. But washed up no Pulver is not.past his best no doubt. That being said lots of people can do well past their if their best is what Pulver was at his best which was best in the world.

Destral
06-03-2007, 03:13 PM
i think pulver is indeed washed up. look at his fight with bj penn, then look at his fight with joe lauzon. and i dont mean technically look at it. look the difference in his physical build. when he fought penn he was ripped, he looked alot stronger physically and in way better shape. fastforward to his fight with lauzon, he looks alot smaller and weaker, not 1/2 as ripped as he was. am i the only one who notices this? it seems like he went thru an "evan tanner like transformation" physically. not as extreme as tanner but to me he doesnt look at all the same physically as he did in his prime.

By that logic, BJ is just as washed up. Yes he went up to WW, but he hasn't looked nearly as in shape as his early LW days. If he didn't gas so easily, the outcomes against Matt Hughes and GSP might be very different.

Dsm634
06-03-2007, 08:58 PM
By that logic, BJ is just as washed up. Yes he went up to WW, but he hasn't looked nearly as in shape as his early LW days. If he didn't gas so easily, the outcomes against Matt Hughes and GSP might be very different.

Yeah the outcomes MIGHT have been very different if "insert variable here" but weren't.

I was gonna say BJ isn't in as good of shape as earlier years anyway, but I still think he'll sub or tko Jens.

dudefella
06-03-2007, 09:52 PM
BUt besides all that, he's such a cool guy. Has anyone watching this season's TUF become a new Pulver fan?
No, I think he's a pain in hte ass. And he looks like a fucking bat. What's with that?

chuteboxechamp
06-03-2007, 10:16 PM
after watching this season of TUF and his 2005 lightweight gp appearance against Sakurai, im a big Pulver fan. Even though he lost to sakurai he put up one hell of a fight. One thing you cant hold against Jens is he always comes to fight. I give him respect for that.

smoogy
06-03-2007, 11:54 PM
No offense to Pulver but how can he be washed up? he hasnt fallen off or elevated, he never had an iron chin or great skills, he was a knockout striker with solid wrestling but lets not forget that Penn took him down before Penn started training hard in wrestling, and didnt even use his judo to take Pulver down.. so Pulver has always been somewhat one-dimensional, and never had the chin to stay on the feet long with guys like Lauzon who has sick skills on the feet.

Are you serious? Pulver stood toe to toe with Sakurai and Gomi and actually hurt both of them. Sure, he lost both fights, but he looked like he could do more than just compete with those guys. I think he is still a bad matchup for Penn because he has comparable or better boxing skills and is tricky to take down.

Mac
06-03-2007, 11:56 PM
One thing you cant hold against Jens is he always comes to fight. I give him respect for that.
Lol, I guess you didn't see the Lauzon fight.

Afro
06-04-2007, 12:07 AM
Are you serious? Pulver stood toe to toe with Sakurai and Gomi and actually hurt both of them. Sure, he lost both fights, but he looked like he could do more than just compete with those guys. I think he is still a bad matchup for Penn because he has comparable or better boxing skills and is tricky to take down.
Your talking about his striking, thats the one-dimension I was referring to

smoogy
06-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Yeah but you said he never had the chin to stand with guys as good as Lauzon... he stood with Sakurai and Gomi for extended periods of time, if he hadn't gotten eyepoked by Sakurai without a chance to recover he might have even won that fight.

Afro
06-04-2007, 12:14 AM
Yeah but you said he never had the chin to stand with guys as good as Lauzon... he stood with Sakurai and Gomi for extended periods of time, if he hadn't gotten eyepoked by Sakurai without a chance to recover he might have even won that fight.
They both TKO'd or KO'd him though thats what im talking about, he doesnt have an iron chin and guys with power like Sakurai, Gomi, and Lauzon (im not tryna put Lauzon in Sakurai or Gomi's class but he does have knockout power) the more he stands with him, the more they punch Pulver the better chance they have of knockin him out.. the guys lost 5 fights by TKO.

spinach
06-04-2007, 12:29 AM
I think this thread is a little premature. We will find about after the fight.

cpac77
06-04-2007, 01:14 AM
Yeah I noticed that too, there's a helluva difference.

I'd like to hear how his training's changed over the last few years. When he started it's true that a wreslter with KO power could dominate.

But lately I'm not sure how he gameplans - he loves scoring quick knock outs but if that doesn't happen, I'm not sure what his next step is.

Yea I have dude. Pulver is cool guy.

jlruthven84
06-04-2007, 04:30 AM
I think Pulver is going to turn out to be a better coach than he is a fighter. He pushes his guys to their potential and past it, and I respect him for that.

That said, I doubt there's any way that Pulver can take out Penn, unless Penn comes into the fight completely overconfident and unprepared. IF IF IF IF IF Penn trains like he should and doesn't gas, he'll kill Pulver, and may even be LW champ within a year if he doesn't try to move up again.

His strikes are slick, takedown defense is near perfect, and he's got arguably the sickest BJJ game out there. Penn by TKO.

2mcgrath
06-04-2007, 04:52 AM
i dont think jens is washed up at all.he said hisself when he lost to joe he didnt bring his fight,he just wasnt there in that fight.i think the bj and jens fight will go alot different than what people think.if bj wins i think it will be a hard fought win.but way things have went recently i just gotta feeling we are gonna see an upset imo

sandywh
06-04-2007, 07:35 PM
You can bet that Jens will as prepared as ever to fight Penn. Penn has been chasing him for 5 years now. All he's heard is how lucky he got. How BJ would have destroyed him if Jens had gone to the ground with him.
I'm betting that he comes to fight.

perc10
06-05-2007, 03:51 AM
One thing he WAS LW Champ and if he never wins again not many guys can say that. And as I said before Jens would be fighting cops at a minimart if he didnt fight in the ring hes just one of thoseguys that fight no matter what and a guy like that isnt stopping til hes dead or disabled I think we will see him fighting for a few more years.

Dork8503
06-05-2007, 04:52 AM
Jens is not washed up but he just wont be a lw champ again. Im picking Penn in the rematch but i dont think he would beat Joe if they fought again or Sherk or Franca.

sandywh
06-05-2007, 06:19 AM
WTF? How can you call Jens washed up? It is a stupid statement a totally out of line, even if Penn beats him in 25 seconds which he might do, Jens can still beat 98% of the lightweights in the world. and about 99.9999% of the people in the world. That is not too shabby.
Agreed. Now i can't wait to see Pulver absolutely run through the 145 lbs. division in WEC. That organization just got a lot better very fast.

Afro
06-05-2007, 06:21 AM
Agreed. Now i can't wait to see Pulver absolutely run through the 145 lbs. division in WEC. That organization just got a lot better very fast.
How can he run through that division with Urijah Faber there?

sandywh
06-05-2007, 06:43 AM
How can he run through that division with Urijah Faber there?
Can you not see Jens getting to a title shot with Faber pretty easily?
See post in Drem Match Ups for further explaination.

Big Daddy Duker
06-05-2007, 05:16 PM
I'd put my money on Penn, but he certainly can't coast his way through this fight. Pulver can't be taken lightly - he's too good at the knockout. That said, it seems like BJ is pretty focused this time around. I don't think Penn wants to leave anything up to chance, or leave any doubt in anyone's mind as to who is the better fighter.

Ramma
06-05-2007, 07:07 PM
In all honesty, I think Pulver is going to win again. I think Penn thinks he is going to run through Pulver and will make the same mistake as Cro Cop and GSP

perc10
06-06-2007, 01:18 AM
I think Penn beat GSP,he dominated on the feet he just got taken down more. But in my eyes a takedown without anything accomplished shouldnt get points. The only possible way for him to lose is to get caught