PDA

View Full Version : Hiit

calibeck
06-02-2007, 10:07 PM
I was wondering if anyone can tell me their results from doing HIIT. I lift fairly regularly (used to lift 5 days a week but now reduced to 3 because of scheduling conflicts). Thing is I have a very good deal of muscle mass, however my BF % is far too high.

I absolutely hate any type of long distance running and I'm pretty sure my body is designed for primarily short twitch actions. This of course causes problems for doing cardio to lower BF%.

So, basically, I'm thinking of jumping in to HIIT because it pretty much sounds like its right up my alley, but I would like some idea of the type of results other people have had and what to expect (time frames n such).

Also what does anyone think the effects of just doing HIIT for awhile (no lifting) would be. My understanding of it is that it maintains lean muscle mass and prevents catabolic loss.

Any knowledge is greatly appreciated

adonis
06-02-2007, 10:21 PM
I was wondering if anyone can tell me their results from doing HIIT. I lift fairly regularly (used to lift 5 days a week but now reduced to 3 because of scheduling conflicts). Thing is I have a very good deal of muscle mass, however my BF % is far too high.

I absolutely hate any type of long distance running and I'm pretty sure my body is designed for primarily short twitch actions. This of course causes problems for doing cardio to lower BF%.

So, basically, I'm thinking of jumping in to HIIT because it pretty much sounds like its right up my alley, but I would like some idea of the type of results other people have had and what to expect (time frames n such).

Also what does anyone think the effects of just doing HIIT for awhile (no lifting) would be. My understanding of it is that it maintains lean muscle mass and prevents catabolic loss.

Any knowledge is greatly appreciated

How do you know how much muscle mass you have if you are unaware of your bodyfat %?
It would be wise to have a starting point such as girth mesurements from a few sites, a bodyfat analysis, and sinfold measurements. that way you know what you need to do to reach the body your looking for.

What would have given you the idea you were fast-twitch dominant?
The majority of the population lies somewhere between fast and slow twitch dominance with approx. a 50/50 split depending on the muscle group tested.
If you are below 15% bodyfat you could include steady state aerobic exercise ot lean down. It works. Always has, and always will.

Hiit results (as with ay type of exercise) vary depending on user participation. You get what you put in. You can expect an increase in appetitie due to the metabolic demand of the exercise. Bodyfat loss would be expected if you are in a caloric defecit. DOMS, due to the muscular demand of hiit type training.

Hiit will not preserve muscle mass; strength training will. It will however limit the amount of time you need to spend on the treadmill. If you are only doing metabolic work, you will loose muscle.

calibeck
06-04-2007, 04:44 PM
How do you know how much muscle mass you have if you are unaware of your bodyfat %?
It would be wise to have a starting point such as girth mesurements from a few sites, a bodyfat analysis, and sinfold measurements. that way you know what you need to do to reach the body your looking for.

What would have given you the idea you were fast-twitch dominant?
The majority of the population lies somewhere between fast and slow twitch dominance with approx. a 50/50 split depending on the muscle group tested.
If you are below 15% bodyfat you could include steady state aerobic exercise ot lean down. It works. Always has, and always will.

Hiit results (as with ay type of exercise) vary depending on user participation. You get what you put in. You can expect an increase in appetitie due to the metabolic demand of the exercise. Bodyfat loss would be expected if you are in a caloric defecit. DOMS, due to the muscular demand of hiit type training.

Hiit will not preserve muscle mass; strength training will. It will however limit the amount of time you need to spend on the treadmill. If you are only doing metabolic work, you will loose muscle.

Thanks for the reply man. My Body fat is looking at like 19% and I've always been very explosive and I find my body responds to lower reps with high weight. From that knowledge I usually employ a pyramid style workout when I lift. So basically I just go down 2 reps every two weeks and increase weight then go back up after 2 weeks of 4 reps till I reach 10 or 12 reps .

In every sport I participate in my explosiveness is what helps me excel.
Thats basically the reason that I've always felt like I was more on the fast twitch side although I've never gotten a muscle biopsy or anything.