PDA

View Full Version : #1 Striker in the world

GracieAlumni
05-26-2006, 05:59 AM
Again who does everyone think is the #1 stiker in the entire world of MMA? My choice is Chuck Liddell... he lives and dies by those fists.

killerinstinct
05-26-2006, 06:13 AM
Crocop,Hunt, and Lebanner..

Anthony
05-26-2006, 06:14 AM
When I hear striker, I think of using everything you got and then Vanderlei comes to mind.

GracieAlumni
05-26-2006, 06:15 AM
Fedor is gr8 on the ground too he was my #2

joey sangfroid
12-23-2006, 02:13 AM
Again who does everyone think is the #1 stiker in the entire world of MMA? My choice is Chuck Liddell... he lives and dies by those fists.

crocop

AJL416AZ
12-23-2006, 02:22 AM
cro cop.

easily

DW
12-23-2006, 02:31 AM
most devestating: CroCop
most technical: Spider Silva

jesusatemyhotdog
12-23-2006, 02:34 AM
1. Cro Cop
2. Manhoef
3. LeBanner
4. A. Silva
5. Liddell

devildude
12-23-2006, 02:53 AM
crocop is probably the most dangerous. followed immediately by fedor.
i like silva's techinical approach.
i like gsp techinal approach.
liddell seems to be very dangerous with his goofy looking counter/unorthodox striking.

Afro
12-23-2006, 02:58 AM
Cro-cop, Mark Hunt, Anderson Silva, Melvin Manhoef, Cyborg.

Liddell? Hell no.

devildude
12-23-2006, 03:01 AM
liddell is a good striker and he espcially senses after he's hurt you better than anyone else. but his strikinig his looks very akward but he Ko'd randy twice. so...he must be close to 'world class.'

jesusatemyhotdog
12-23-2006, 03:02 AM
Cro-cop, Mark Hunt, Anderson Silva, Melvin Manhoef, Cyborg.

Liddell? Hell no.

Shit, I forgot all about Hunt.
Santos didn't knock anybody out this year.
Liddell has had KOs or TKOs in his last 8 wins and in 6 fights in a row, so I think that he has to be given credit where credit is due.

Afro
12-23-2006, 03:04 AM
so what if he didnt knock anyone out this year?

are we really that simple minded that we judge striking by KOs alone? thats ridiculous.

BJ Penn only has 4 knockouts on his record, anyone gonna doubt his striking???

tapper
12-23-2006, 03:13 AM
cro-cop and the spider. they both continue to improve, and against skilled opponets. silva is already on top with no real threats, and if cro-cop comes to the ufc it will only be a matter of time before he's there too.

jesusatemyhotdog
12-23-2006, 03:16 AM
so what if he didnt knock anyone out this year?

are we really that simple minded that we judge striking by KOs alone? thats ridiculous.

BJ Penn only has 4 knockouts on his record, anyone gonna doubt his striking???

I don't doubt Penn's striking, but I also do not put him in the top 10 either. When considering striking ability, the fighter's capacity to finish a fight with his strikes definitely should weigh on the decision.

killerinstinct
12-23-2006, 03:21 AM
Here's the top three Mark Hunt,Crocop, and Jerome LeBanner.

jesusatemyhotdog
12-23-2006, 03:26 AM
1. Cro Cop
2. Manhoef
3. LeBanner
4. A. Silva
5. Liddell

Since I had a brain fart, not thinking of Hunt, I have ammended by top 5

1. Cro Cop
2. Hunt
3. Manhoef
4. LeBanner
5. A. Silva

killerinstinct
12-23-2006, 03:27 AM
Since I had a brain fart, not thinking of Hunt, I have ammended by top 5

1. Cro Cop
2. Hunt
3. Manhoef
4. LeBanner
5. A. Silva
You place Hunt above Lebanner ,even though Lebanner holds kickboxing victories where he outclassed Hunt ,even knocking him down in the fights(no easy task)?

jesusatemyhotdog
12-23-2006, 03:33 AM
You place Hunt above Lebanner ,even though Lebanner holds kickboxing victories where he outclassed Hunt ,even knocking him down in the fights(no easy task)?

Yes, yes I do.

Intellectual
12-23-2006, 03:44 AM
Mark Hunt without a doubt.

2nd would be Cro Cop

the future striker will be Gegard Mousasi

CreepingDeth
12-23-2006, 04:02 AM
What about two time defending K-1 grand prix champ Semmy?

jesusatemyhotdog
12-23-2006, 04:08 AM
What about two time defending K-1 grand prix champ Semmy?

I think that we are dealing with who is the best in MMA, not kickboxing. I know that Schilt has a huge MMA background, but he is no where near as dangerous in the MMA arena.

Intellectual
12-23-2006, 04:10 AM
Semmy is great, but when it comes down to mma, he isn't as effective as he is in K1.

CreepingDeth
12-23-2006, 04:17 AM
Guess I misunderstood

dagreat1
12-23-2006, 04:25 AM
1) Cro Cop
2) Le Banner
3) Manhoef
4) A. Silva
5) Hunt

If the fight stays on the feet against any of the above names, you lose 99 out of 100 times IMO.

And if we are talking best striker outside of MMA I would have to go with Buakaw Por Pramuk who fights for k1max, he is simply the best Muay Thai kickboxer on the planet right now and is only 24 years old. He is simply the Fedor of Muay Thai kickboxing.

TriangleChoke
12-23-2006, 05:22 AM
Liddell? Hell no.

I feel like i've become SOMEWHAT of a regular poster...and it's obvious who the true regulars are, so i may get bashed for this question because this question is potentially a very stupid one......BUT im gonna go out on a limb and ask it anyway..afro, you dont like chuck liddell very much do u?

Afro
12-23-2006, 05:29 AM
I feel like i've become SOMEWHAT of a regular poster...and it's obvious who the true regulars are, so i may get bashed for this question because this question is potentially a very stupid one......BUT im gonna go out on a limb and ask it anyway..afro, you dont like chuck liddell very much do u?
no I like Chuck just fine.

baba
12-23-2006, 05:36 AM
And if we are talking best striker outside of MMA I would have to go with Buakaw Por Pramuk who fights for k1max, he is simply the best Muay Thai kickboxer on the planet right now and is only 24 years old. He is simply the Fedor of Muay Thai kickboxing.

Is he the kid they had on National Geographic's Fight Science show??

WBoilers
12-23-2006, 06:06 AM
Chuck of course.....The Cro-Cop

TriangleChoke
12-23-2006, 06:10 AM
chuck before cro cop? not in this life

dagreat1
12-23-2006, 06:16 AM

I am not certain as I have not seen the show but he is from Thailand and is a true Thai kickboxer so if it took place in Thailand and the guy was a very young clean cut killing machine, it was likely buakaw.

I would like to see that show if it was indeed him.

baba
12-23-2006, 06:23 AM
I am not certain as I have not seen the show but he is from Thailand and is a true Thai kickboxer so if it took place in Thailand and the guy was a very young clean cut killing machine, it was likely buakaw.

I would like to see that show if it was indeed him.

The way you describe him it certainly sounds like they same guy. The show was very interesting, and measured the impact of each type of strike among different disciplines (boxing,kung fu, tae kwan do, muy thai, and even a ninja). They concluded that a M.T. knee to the sternum from the clinch had the greatest impact and did the most damage out of all of them. It was a great program -- I highly reccomend it.

ozzy2525
12-23-2006, 06:31 AM
pe de pano :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Palma
12-23-2006, 06:37 AM
Has to be Butterbean. It's all he has and he still wins.

CreepingDeth
12-23-2006, 06:49 AM
The way you describe him it certainly sounds like they same guy. The show was very interesting, and measured the impact of each type of strike among different disciplines (boxing,kung fu, tae kwan do, muy thai, and even a ninja). They concluded that a M.T. knee to the sternum from the clinch had the greatest impact and did the most damage out of all of them. It was a great program -- I highly reccomend it.
Yeah it was a great show. It said the force of getting hit with one of his knees was equivalent to getting hit by a car at 35 mph.

baba
12-23-2006, 07:02 AM
Yeah it was a great show. It said the force of getting hit with one of his knees was equivalent to getting hit by a car at 35 mph.

Yea I remember my jaw dropping when I heard them say that. Thats insane! Too bad I can't upload the show from my DVR box -- its 2 hours long. I think most fans would find it very interesting.

Monsterman
12-23-2006, 07:06 AM
Jarome le Banner if you count him as mma fighter since he mostly fights in k-1. Even Ray Sefo has one mma fight and he would be pretty high in rankings..
Mark Hunt is the best striker of full time mma fighters. He totally dominated Crocop so how the hell anyone thinks crocop is number one? Crocop was scared and ran away from Hunt the whole fight. Even the left highkick looked just a desperate attempt to keep Hunt away.

matto
12-23-2006, 07:09 AM
rofl, where the hell did u find that pic of sylvia and fedor.

hunt, cro cop,

matto
12-23-2006, 07:11 AM
that fedor and sylvia picture i thought was the funnies picture iv ever seen on this site and then when it posts i see the ricco picture. rofl.

baba
12-23-2006, 07:27 AM
that fedor and sylvia picture i thought was the funnies picture iv ever seen on this site and then when it posts i see the ricco picture. rofl.

lol....i think we all owe a debt of gratitude to ricco for filling our hearts with hysterical laughter this holiday season. eat on bro !

Punk Ass
12-23-2006, 02:17 PM
Why has Wand been getting disrespected lately?? Before fighting a True HW the man could not be beaten at LHW, and had people fearing him. He's got to be one of the best strikers in MMA IMO.

especially better than Chuck who is too one dimensional.

Afro
12-23-2006, 04:03 PM
I dont see how Chuck can be considered, great fighter? Yes.. Best striker in the world? Not by a longshot

liddell316
12-23-2006, 04:15 PM
Best striker in the world has to go to Cro Cop right now.

LefthookStcrook
12-23-2006, 05:24 PM
1. Cro cop hands down
2. Chuck- (IM pobably gonna get call UFC Nuthugger but fack it)
his last 6-7 fights in a row have all been ko/tko, and if you like him or not hes knocked out a whos who list in maa fighters from Randy(2), Randleman,
Tito,horn,white,babalu(2)- who went the distance with FEDOR, just to name a few he KO'd
3. Wandy- i was going to put Hunt but i just dont like how he's so conident of his chin that when he gets tired he'll just leave his hand down like with nakamuara. Wand if deffinatly a world class striker that really uses every body part to strike and in any posision so i picked him third

Afro
12-23-2006, 05:28 PM
1. Cro cop hands down
2. Chuck- (IM pobably gonna get call UFC Nuthugger but fack it)
his last 6-7 fights in a row have all been ko/tko, and if you like him or not hes knocked out a whos who list in maa fighters from Randy(2), Randleman,
Tito,horn,white,babalu(2)- who went the distance with FEDOR, just to name a few he KO'd
3. Wandy- i was going to put Hunt but i just dont like how he's so conident of his chin that when he gets tired he'll just leave his hand down like with nakamuara. Wand if deffinatly a world class striker that really uses every body part to strike and in any posision so i picked him third
None of those guys are good strikers though, I just dont get why fighters that go up against world class strikers and outstrike them should be overlooked and bad technique, counter punchin Chuck Liddell should rank over them just cuz hes Chuck Liddell, he is not a great striker.. hes a counter-puncher with KO power there is a HELLLLLL of a lot more to striking then counter-punching wrestlers with average striking.

AudieMurphy1
12-23-2006, 06:03 PM
i'd have to go with either aleks emelianenko or cung le, no disrespect for cro wand or chuck

The Iceman
12-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Shit, I forgot all about Hunt.
Santos didn't knock anybody out this year.
Liddell has had KOs or TKOs in his last 8 wins and in 6 fights in a row, so I think that he has to be given credit where credit is due.
^^^I think that you are right on w/your Lidell argument. I don't base striking on KO's alone but they should play a big factor when you are speaking of the number 1 striker in the world I think.:confusedsmilie: This guy wins just about every fight by KO.

TriangleChoke
12-23-2006, 08:16 PM
None of those guys are good strikers though.
Sorry afro..im having a brain fart and dont quite understand. which guys are not good strikers? R u referring to the guys chuck has knocked out? or chuck, cro cop and wandi...cuz if ur referring to those 3 guys, i'd like to know what defines 'good striker.'

Nate_Deezy
12-23-2006, 08:47 PM

No...I looked it up on google. The guy that was on fight science was a guy by the name of Melchor Menor. You guys should check that show out though. They had some really interesting tests and especially interesting results to said tests. They had fighters from Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai, Ninjitsu, Kung Fu, and even had Rickson Gracie on the show to represent Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Just go to Youtube and type in "fight science." The results will be clips from various segments of the show...not the show in its entirety.

Afro
12-23-2006, 08:56 PM
Sorry afro..im having a brain fart and dont quite understand. which guys are not good strikers? R u referring to the guys chuck has knocked out? or chuck, cro cop and wandi...cuz if ur referring to those 3 guys, i'd like to know what defines 'good striker.'
im talkin about the guys Chuck has KO'd

Chuck and Wandy are good strikers.. but neither are in Cro-cop's league and Cro-cop's league has quite a large roster, Chuck and Wandy.. arent on that roster.

LefthookStcrook
12-23-2006, 09:03 PM

Me to, either way cop liddel and wand are all excellent strikers, and imo i dont think chuck is just a "couter striker wrestler" he has a full mma backround but he just prefers to strike, and when he does he keeps it at his own pace to land the big bomb, if you've done that your whole mma career and done nothing but KO boys and your ranked top 3 in your weight class in the world he deserves an honourbale mention for sure.

and the only reason i didnt put wand 2nd is becuase i really do think chuck woul d beat him if he survive the first barrage of bombs i think chuck would KO him running back like babalu chuck 2

LefthookStcrook
12-23-2006, 09:05 PM
im talkin about the guys Chuck has KO'd

Chuck and Wandy are good strikers.. but neither are in Cro-cop's league and Cro-cop's league has quite a large roster, Chuck and Wandy.. arent on that roster.

Agree there, Cro cops a nut, i'd love to see him pick apart Tim sylvia

Afro
12-23-2006, 09:11 PM
I honestly dont think Chucks striking is why he is so good, his technique is not that good in fact ill simply label Chucks technique as "lazy" I think his wrestling is what makes him so good cuz he keeps all the fighters he faces standing, he has a good chin but very poor striking D(main reason why I cant see him bein' the best striker in the world) but no one he faced is really gonna knock him out, cuz most of the people hes faced.. are average strikers, Chuck is one of the best in the LHW division.. actually ill rephrase that HE IS the BEST in the LHW division at forcing fighters to fight his game, which is striking.. but he isnt great at striking, just good with a lot of KO power. The thing that makes Chuck better is.. when he goes up against a striker, hes good enough in wrestling to take them down IE: The overeem fight.. but Chuck's biggest challenge would be facing a guy with better striking that also has better wrestling IE: Rampage, or facing a guy with better striking and a good JJ game IE: Wandy, Shogun, and especially Lil Nogs.. out of these 3 the guy he has the best chance against would be Wandy cuz of Wandy's chin.. but against Shogun and Lil Nogs.. if your a Chuck fan just hope he never fights any of these guys, cuz he would have TROUBLE big time..

A) Shogun and Lil Nogs can outstrike Chuck and probably would

B) Chuck can take both to the ground, but will he pass any of there guards? doubt it, and can he defend there submissions? maybe he is a purple belt in BJJ but doubt hes good enough to defend for 3 to 5 rounds.. overall he'll either get submitted or outstriked against these two.. just think that there too good for him.. he can always knock one of them out but it would most likely (95% chance) come in the later rounds, where Chuck's cardio comes into play.. and his cardio isnt that good and when your goin up against guys like Shogun and Lil Nogs, there gonna work you round after round.. there not gonna pull a Jeremy Horn.

Even Ricardo Arona would give chuck trouble, thing with Arona is he leaves his chin out like crazy and his body is wide open when he strikes.. Chuck would have no problem counter-punching him but I doubt Arona would be so dumb to strike with Chuck, Arona is just so techincally sound, he doesnt have to shoot to take Chuck down.. he has many many other ways of doing so.. and if he took the fight to the ground he'd beat Chuck, but honestly.. I say Chuck would win that one.. just not a good matchup for Arona.

sodium_nitrate
12-23-2006, 09:36 PM
you guys are great. :sadsmile1:

Dork8503
12-23-2006, 10:31 PM
i have to agree on the most part with afro, i dont think chuck is a great striker, he is great at countering and has great ko power, i would say he is good but not great, and i dont think aleks is the best striker i wouldnt even say he is great yeah i wouldnt say he is great at all, i say cro crop is the best, i also think wandy is great and i think anderson silva is great too,
afro what do you think would happen if Anderon fought Chuck, i think anderson would out strike him and end up getting beat late in the 2nd

Punk Ass
12-23-2006, 11:33 PM
i have to agree on the most part with afro, i dont think chuck is a great striker, he is great at countering and has great ko power, i would say he is good but not great, and i dont think aleks is the best striker i wouldnt even say he is great yeah i wouldnt say he is great at all, i say cro crop is the best, i also think wandy is great and i think anderson silva is great too,
afro what do you think would happen if Anderon fought Chuck, i think anderson would out strike him and end up getting beat late in the 2nd

I think chuck is too big for him. 205 and 185 is a big difference. thats 3 different weight classes in boxing.

Ares
12-24-2006, 12:07 AM
CropCop, Silva, GSP

dagreat1
12-24-2006, 12:26 AM
I think chuck is too big for him. 205 and 185 is a big difference. thats 3 different weight classes in boxing.

In addition to Chuck walking around at 225-230lbs whereas A. Silva is very lean so I find it doubtful that he walks around very much higher than his 185lb fighting weight.

CreepingDeth
12-24-2006, 12:30 AM
A) Shogun and Lil Nogs can outstrike Chuck and probably would

B) Chuck can take both to the ground, but will he pass any of there guards? doubt it, and can he defend there submissions? maybe he is a purple belt in BJJ but doubt hes good enough to defend for 3 to 5 rounds.. overall he'll either get submitted or outstriked against these two.. just think that there too good for him.. he can always knock one of them out but it would most likely (95% chance) come in the later rounds, where Chuck's cardio comes into play.. and his cardio isnt that good and when your goin up against guys like Shogun and Lil Nogs, there gonna work you round after round.. there not gonna pull a Jeremy Horn.

I'm a big fan of shogun but I would be a little worried if he faught chuck. Shogun is agreesive and his chin isn't the strongest. I would be rooting for Shogun and think he could win but I wouldn't be suprised to see him get knocked out.

Noob
12-24-2006, 12:31 AM
In addition to Chuck walking around at 225-230lbs whereas A. Silva is very lean so I find it doubtful that he walks around very much higher than his 185lb fighting weight.

A good point. I think Silva is a better striker in that he is more skilled overall, and is probably the better technical striker. No one can argue with Chuck's KO power though, and the weight difference would make it difficult to say for sure who's better without a doubt since it would give Chuck a significant advantage.

dagreat1
12-24-2006, 12:41 AM
Manhoef - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmcQdSperKM

Cro Cop - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xESpZqzxSw

Le Banner - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23KKDzJHpE4

Hunt - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hPiqS7Ur6s

Anderson Silva - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xicEBzBPPvg

Just randon highlights I pulled off of youtube, those are the 5 best strikers in MMA IMO, it is hard to go against anyone that makes a transition from K-1 to MMA.

NAL987
12-19-2008, 12:59 AM
As for who would win in a standup fight if everyone was the same weight, i think Fedor..

but striker right now Im not really sure, theres too many really good strikers IMO

swalsh
12-19-2008, 02:20 AM
Fedor,A.Silva,Georges

Marouuu
12-19-2008, 03:42 AM
How can u put CroCop before Fedor when he lost to him in a STRIKING match!?!?
Guys dont want to offend ur favourite fighter BUT if u say that Cro Cop out strikes Fedor cause of the beauty of his punches and kicks then... best striker in the world would have to be Jean Claude Van Damme.....LOL

Seriously....Fedor,Shogun,Anderson are the top in their weight classes IMO
Fedor - hardest puncher
Shogun, Anderson - NINJAS

Marouuu
12-19-2008, 03:47 AM
Oh and if u count K-1 as well , without any doubt Ernesto"Mr Perfect" Hoost.

carbondioxide830
12-19-2008, 08:07 AM
bumping year old topics? gay.

edit: sorry...TWO YEAR OLD topics.

Ramma
12-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Hard to say who the best striker in the world is. In terms of MMA, it comes down to Cung Le or Anderson Silva.

But, P4P, the best striker is not an MMA fighter. It really would be someone in K-1, or someone like Yod Fairtex.

b1uef1ow
01-17-2009, 01:29 AM
In MMA i'd break it down to styles so for

-boxing I'd say Rampage and BJ
-Muay Thai I'd say Anderson, Cung Le(well San Shou I guess) and Thiago Alves

-Karate: Lyoto Machida Hands down.

-KO striker would have to be: Chuck and Thiago.

-Ground and Pound striker: Randy and old Rampage.

-Best overall striker encompassing KO power, technique and accuracy would be: Anderson.

In Kickboxing K-1: Alistair Overeem.... JK. Young Buakaw.

Fedorlei Gomipierre
01-21-2009, 04:57 AM
Within an MMA bout, a few that come to mind include Anderson Silva, Thiago Alves, Cung Le, Maurice Smith, Rashad Evans, Paul Buentello, Wandy(although in a more freestyle approach).

I hear this Slice fellow is an amazing striker as well, hope he gets some mainstream attention.