PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is the definition of a can?

marco47
06-11-2007, 03:46 AM
Before the Houston Alexander vs Jardine fight, my brother said he wasn't interested in the fight because Jardine was fighting a "scrub". I keep reminding him that there is no such thing as a "scrub" in the UFC. I told him that if he would step in the octagon (he has no martial arts training at all), HE would be considered a scrub. I was wonderin what you all think. Is a "can" a fighter with no skills at all? Or a fighter with little to no recognition or experience? Or a fighter with just lesser skills than their opponnent? Hopefully this isn't a dumb question. Thanks.

Rufio
06-11-2007, 03:48 AM
A fighter with a low enough level of skill and effectivness that he has no more than a puncher's chance against most name opponents.

Intellectual
06-11-2007, 03:51 AM
a sealed container for food

SimpleJack
06-11-2007, 04:01 AM
or ELVIS SINOSIC and WES SIMS.

Nate_Deezy
06-11-2007, 04:06 AM
I understand what a can refers to, basically an under-skilled fighter, but I have always wondered why "can" was the word of choice. Anyone?

franco727
06-11-2007, 04:15 AM

lol dude i was going to type the exact same thing

Ramma
06-11-2007, 04:20 AM
can = able, fit to do

can = cylinder object used for storage

can = an unskilled or underskilled fighter, at times being presented as stronger or better than he or she is.

I guessed that the term "can" came from the game "Kick the Can" because it was something easy to do and it was easy to kick and dent.

Steel
06-11-2007, 04:41 AM
I always took as a can being a pre-made meal of some sort being fed to a fighter to eat and quickly digest.

Nate_Deezy
06-11-2007, 04:42 AM
I always took as a can being a pre-made meal of some sort being fed to a fighter to eat and quickly digest.

A little dramatic/ over-metaphoric for my taste, but creative nonetheless.

ozzy2525
06-11-2007, 05:05 AM
Man Alexader has some power in his shots he owned Jardine look at this

http://img38.picoodle.com/img/img38/8/6/10/f_6hggil2m_27cd70a.gif (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?srv=img38&img=/8/6/10/f_6hggil2m_27cd70a.gif)

smoogy
06-11-2007, 05:12 AM
Its borne out of the comparative difficulty of shooting a moving target as opposed to "knocking over cans".

I consider "professional opponents" like Wes Sims and Ruben Villareal to be cans.

jlruthven84
06-11-2007, 05:31 AM

http://img38.picoodle.com/img/img38/8/6/10/f_6hggil2m_27cd70a.gif (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?srv=img38&img=/8/6/10/f_6hggil2m_27cd70a.gif)

Dude, that av is fucking priceless.

LMFAO and rep'd!

Dork8503
06-11-2007, 05:51 AM

Elvis isnt a can, he is just never developed. He is well rounded but never learned how to put everything together.

leedogg900
06-11-2007, 06:04 AM

lol!!!

tapper
06-11-2007, 06:08 AM

agreed. forrest soon to follow.

Dork8503
06-11-2007, 06:11 AM
agreed. forrest soon to follow.

Jardine will be a can before Forrest

smoogy
06-11-2007, 06:14 AM
Jardine will be a can before Forrest

Both of them will make good cans.

jcflores
06-11-2007, 06:15 AM

LOL

neonatural45
06-11-2007, 06:16 AM
if all the PRIDE fighters make their way to the UFC then alot of the fighters that were succesfull will become cans

leedogg900
06-11-2007, 06:19 AM
mm i dont think forrest or jardine is cans..

keep in mind if jardine got the decision vs bonnar [which he shoulda]

he woulda been 5-0 in the ufc

1 loss doesnt make u a can

Dork8503
06-11-2007, 06:22 AM
Jardine shouldnt have won anything against Bonnar, Bonnar won the fight.

If any thing Jardine should have lost to Wilson.

Jardine and Forrest will stay where they are at neither will be top come.

I just want to see Jardine lose about 3 in a row.

leedogg900
06-11-2007, 06:24 AM
Jardine shouldnt have won anything against Bonnar, Bonnar won the fight.

If any thing Jardine should have lost to Wilson.

Jardine and Forrest will stay where they are at neither will be top come.

I just want to see Jardine lose about 3 in a row.

i disagree i think jardine won the fight and got robbed.

but hey were all entitled to our opinions

Dork8503
06-11-2007, 06:26 AM
Bonnar almost had him done a few times, Take away the kicks and jardine pretty much did nothing

leedogg900
06-11-2007, 06:27 AM
Bonnar almost had him done a few times, Take away the kicks and jardine pretty much did nothing

jardine almost ended the fights with kicks a few times

bonnar looked ready to fold after a few solid kicks to the leg

AJL416AZ
06-11-2007, 06:41 AM
take out the punches to the face and Jardine would have beat Alexander. leg kicks are a part of MMA, and people dont understand how much it fucks you up

Thaistylist
06-11-2007, 06:57 AM
danny abadi?

neonatural45
06-11-2007, 07:10 AM
danny abadi?

LOL by far the worst TUFfer out there, made jason thacker look like fedor. I honestly dont know why they got a lightweight with no talent to fight at 185

Salvy_Mic
06-11-2007, 07:33 AM
I think its important to try and differentiate between terms like can, journeyman, gatekeeper, fringe contender, etc. a lot people use them interchangeably when they don't necessarily mean the same thing.

Guys like Jardine and Griffin, who've already been past there prospect phase and are shown to NOT be among the best, or top 10 of their respective divisions, are now considered to be fringe contenders. They haven't been fighting long enough to be journeyman, nor do they have enough losses. There's still a remote chance a guy like this can turn it around and become a legit contender.

A gatekeeper is a true veteran who is good enough to get fights with the top guys, but can't beat them, but usually beats all the guys underneath him. This is basically Heath Herring. Similar to a journeyman, but of a higher quality.

A journeyman is a guy who probably never has a shot of getting a title match, but has a lot of experience and usually makes a living fighting up and coming prospects. This is basically Elvis Sinosic, or even Travis Fulton. He's good enough to give anyone a tough fight, but loses about half the time. However, he loses to guys who are good or have promise or potential.

Then you have cans, guys who'll pretty much lose to everyone they fight, and have no real good skills and such. This is someone like Ruben Villareal, who pretty much gets his ass kicked every time out. Also see Giant Silva, and potentially Ross Pointon.

SimpleJack
06-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Elvis isnt a can, he is just never developed. He is well rounded but never learned how to put everything together.
Honestly, he's the can of cans. He's the guy you book when you want to highlight your young fighters and want to make sure the opponent looks at least slightly able. Well-rounded or not, he's a can. An easy opponent for any adept fighter at this point in his career. I like the guy. I wish he was better. But, you can be well-rounded all you want and if you only have about 60% skill in each area, you're gonna have an 8-10-2 record. Just like Sinosic.

rivethead
06-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Its borne out of the comparative difficulty of shooting a moving target as opposed to "knocking over cans".

That's what I took it to mean as well.

I think its important to try and differentiate between terms like can, journeyman, gatekeeper, fringe contender, etc. a lot people use them interchangeably when they don't necessarily mean the same thing.

Guys like Jardine and Griffin, who've already been past there prospect phase and are shown to NOT be among the best, or top 10 of their respective divisions, are now considered to be fringe contenders. They haven't been fighting long enough to be journeyman, nor do they have enough losses. There's still a remote chance a guy like this can turn it around and become a legit contender.

A gatekeeper is a true veteran who is good enough to get fights with the top guys, but can't beat them, but usually beats all the guys underneath him. This is basically Heath Herring. Similar to a journeyman, but of a higher quality.

A journeyman is a guy who probably never has a shot of getting a title match, but has a lot of experience and usually makes a living fighting up and coming prospects. This is basically Elvis Sinosic, or even Travis Fulton. He's good enough to give anyone a tough fight, but loses about half the time. However, he loses to guys who are good or have promise or potential.

Then you have cans, guys who'll pretty much lose to everyone they fight, and have no real good skills and such. This is someone like Ruben Villareal, who pretty much gets his ass kicked every time out. Also see Giant Silva, and potentially Ross Pointon.

I like the definitions, even if I think you are giving Elvis a bit of unwarrented credit.

rh

Salvy_Mic
06-11-2007, 08:13 PM
I dunno, a guy who subbed Jeremy Horn earlier in his career and gave Griffin and Bisping fits isn't quite a can to me yet. I know he has a sub-.500 record, but he's basically that step up from fighting guys who completely suck or guys who are completely green and inexperienced. If he keeps losing though, then he descends into can status as far as I'm concerned. Usually, these sort of distinction differences are easier to define in boxing, but again, there's also guys who fit into those gray areas. Sinosic fits in a gray area as far as MMA goes, in boxing, its Emmanuel Augustus. His career is only slightly above .500, but he fights anyone who's anyone or is about to become anyone between 135 and 147 pounds. Asides from Castillo, Augustus gave Floyd Mayweather a very tough fight and has pretty much fought everyone else of note around, even scoring some wins. The problem with him is that he doesn't seem to care about titles or being a star, he likes to fight and he likes to entertain. He loses a lot of fights because he clowns around too much, trying to put on a show. This is also what a guy like
Jorge "Maromero" Paez became later in his career...incidentally, Paez was also raised as a circus clown, so there you go.

ozzy2525
06-12-2007, 06:50 PM
I respect every fighter. THere are some fighters that are brought in to lose but most are decent and not cans