PDA

View Full Version : Pics and Video and Rep

TravelinMonty
06-12-2007, 01:55 AM
Maybe this shouldn't be posted here but I think it may be an important issue for the Mods to address.

With the huge in flux of new membership and the sport's rising popularity, I think there needs to be some steps put in place to preserve the nature of sharing in our community here. I don't know the logistics or legality issues surrounding it but I think we need to protect this site from any detrimental action. It seems that the pics and video forum shows copyrighted stuff including PPV's etc. I think this is an integral part of our community and don't want to see it taken away from us.

So that is why I am doing this poll.

P.S> I started this poll/movement, which looks like it's going to change how we do business around here... and not a single rep point? How about a little love for the Monty? :lovesmilie1:

And to add to the rep hammer... I think once you get a certain amount of neg rep you should be banned from posting... at least for a certain period of time.

klev1
06-12-2007, 02:00 AM
What poll?

CHUCKtheCHAMP
06-12-2007, 02:03 AM
What poll?

yeah wat poll??, never mind..

neonatural45
06-12-2007, 02:03 AM
I think its a fair idea

Chute
06-12-2007, 02:06 AM
Yeah its fair because we dont want newbies milking this site for material.

Mastiff_owner
06-12-2007, 02:07 AM
I voted yes with the grandfather clause but I think that should actually go back to the Rampage v Liddell fight. Anyone that was a member prior to that.

If you decide to go with the rep requirement make the cutoff 200 points because thats how many I have. lol

TravelinMonty
06-12-2007, 02:08 AM
I think it works out great with new threads and I think it will be perfect for the pics and vid section.

CHUCKtheCHAMP
06-12-2007, 02:11 AM
i think its a good idea...i think a person shoudl have at least 100 rep pionts....

Legend
06-12-2007, 02:12 AM
I voted yes. I have always thought you should be a contributer to these forums to be able to view the pic and vids section. So imo you should have at least 500 posts to get access. I really don't care how long you have been here bc lurkers are no different then newbies imo bc neither have really contributed.

TravelinMonty
06-12-2007, 02:14 AM
i think its a good idea...i think a person shoudl have at least 100 rep pionts....
How about 175, Chuck? Do I hear 200?

Seriously, I do think it should be in reason... 50 or maybe a bit less. It's not that difficult if you actually contribute articles or insight...

TravelinMonty
06-12-2007, 02:15 AM
I voted yes. I have always thought you should be a contributer to these forums to be able to view the pic and vids section. So imo you should have at least 500 posts to get access. I really don't care how long you have been here bc lurkers are no different then newbies imo bc neither have really contributed.

Wow... I started this movement and I might get banned?

SimpleJack
06-12-2007, 02:16 AM
Definitely, it's bad enough that Noob and the boys put themselves out there and post live streams, but 4000 people get on and take advantage without bringing anything to the forum and then leaving. Those of us who try to make this place interesting and enjoy the discussions are stuck to listen to the BS afterward.

I say vote it in immediately.

Dork8503
06-12-2007, 02:18 AM
This is funny because i have been trying to get this done today lol

here is what i sent to the mods and admins today

need so many posts to get into the pic video section i was thinking about 40-50

need about 100 posts before you can start a thread.

These things will help from dup threads and alot of other things.

if most of the members are for it, i see no reason why we shouldnt have it. Also it will cut down on the flooding on fight nights with new people trying to catch the vids and make troll posts

Howie
06-12-2007, 02:19 AM
i think its a good idea. might bring the trolls out though

CHUCKtheCHAMP
06-12-2007, 02:20 AM
How about 175, Chuck? Do I hear 200?

Seriously, I do think it should be in reason... 50 or maybe a bit less. It's not that difficult if you actually contribute articles or insight...

yeah i guess 50 would be fine...

TravelinMonty
06-12-2007, 02:21 AM
This is funny because i have been trying to get this done today lol

here is what i sent to the mods and admins today

need so many posts to get into the pic video section i was thinking about 40-50

need about 100 posts before you can start a thread.

These things will help from dup threads and alot of other things.

if most of the members are for it, i see no reason why we shouldnt have it. Also it will cut down on the flooding on fight nights with new people trying to catch the vids and make troll posts

I've been thinking about it since the rep system started and was going to PM the mods about it and never did... I just figured we'd get the real opinion out there and everyone can put their two cents in.

Dork8503
06-12-2007, 02:26 AM
No this needs to be done. It will actually help i think. The more i think about it for the vids i think you should have 200+ posts because some people just come here dont post and get the videos. Also maybe on fight nights you have to have 200 plus posts to start a thread, and not fight nights idk 100, 150.

This way like someone said this will force the trolls out and either they become good posters or they are gone, because they will just make alot of nonsence posts an get banned.

Thaistylist
06-12-2007, 02:35 AM

I better get posting then

TravelinMonty
06-12-2007, 02:41 AM
No this needs to be done. It will actually help i think. The more i think about it for the vids i think you should have 200+ posts because some people just come here dont post and get the videos. Also maybe on fight nights you have to have 200 plus posts to start a thread, and not fight nights idk 100, 150.

This way like someone said this will force the trolls out and either they become good posters or they are gone, because they will just make alot of nonsence posts an get banned.

Wow, the heat is on...

btw... I'm just boosting my post count

Bullock
06-12-2007, 02:50 AM
Dork is turning into a fascist, LOL

Legend
06-12-2007, 02:51 AM
I better get posting then

Yeah newbie you should. lol

Jza
06-12-2007, 02:53 AM
Well I think there should be some sort of system in place, however as I don't post often but do try to make posts I make either mean something or be about me when I'm fighting I still believe I contribute to this forum lol.
Still you have a good set of mods here so whatever you go with I'll do my best to work my way up to that point as I know it will be fair.

petey
06-12-2007, 03:02 AM
i voted yes but with the grandfather clause i would hate to be cut out on all the funny ass pics that get posted on the vids and pics section

twankydawg
06-12-2007, 03:02 AM
I think someone should have 300 posts before they can start a thread and at least 100 rep points before they can access the pics/vids section.

TravelinMonty
06-12-2007, 03:09 AM
I think someone should have 300 posts before they can start a thread and at least 100 rep points before they can access the pics/vids section.

If that was true, I would never have been able to start this poll to begin with.... ouch.

Gmunit
06-12-2007, 02:42 PM
i think signing up to be a member is enough to view pics and vids

with that being said, i rarely (if ever) come up with contributions to the section, so i guess its up to you guys, but i think you have to start watching MMA somewhere / sometime, and the Pics and Vids section is a pretty good vehicle to do so

TravelinMonty
06-13-2007, 02:43 AM
I feel like my idea got hijacked by spiderman...

tmac
06-13-2007, 04:05 AM
I would like to say I don't think that this is a good idea. I just think that it disadvantages people who are new to the board and may end up with a lot of people making dumbass posts, just to get their counts up. Plus, I think having viewership based on the rep points is flawed. Most people end up giving rep points to the same people and if you don't post much you are not going to have rep. Plus, I think people are getting a little fanatical about the rep (i.e. asking or demanding it).

I know personally, I don't post much. Mostly because I am really busy and by the time I get a chance to read any thread, someone has already said what I wanted to say. Or it has gone so far off subject that it is no reason to try to address the original topic

I think it is just a question of quantity vs quality. If you have a few quality posts, is this not as valuable as a person who posts a lot, but never says anything important?

TravelinMonty
06-14-2007, 04:16 AM
I would like to say I don't think that this is a good idea. I just think that it disadvantages people who are new to the board and may end up with a lot of people making dumbass posts, just to get their counts up. Plus, I think having viewership based on the rep points is flawed. Most people end up giving rep points to the same people and if you don't post much you are not going to have rep. Plus, I think people are getting a little fanatical about the rep (i.e. asking or demanding it).

I know personally, I don't post much. Mostly because I am really busy and by the time I get a chance to read any thread, someone has already said what I wanted to say. Or it has gone so far off subject that it is no reason to try to address the original topic

I think it is just a question of quantity vs quality. If you have a few quality posts, is this not as valuable as a person who posts a lot, but never says anything important?

I've never posted a video and my rep has been pretty solid. If you can make a good point, you can easily get rep'd. If you make a good joke you get rep'd. If you find an article you get rep'd. Then again I started this friggin thread about all this shit and it's the biggest debate on the board right now and I didn't get rep'd for it... so who fucking knows?

sfa152lber
07-10-2007, 06:43 PM
So, I am guessing this rule has gone into effect as of Sunday b/c the Pics and Video section is gone for me, which sucks

wonderbee
07-24-2007, 09:17 AM
I chose yes and that all current members get grandfathered but that should be obvious by my rep level.

Ramma
07-25-2007, 11:04 PM
I chose yes and that all current members get grandfathered but that should be obvious by my rep level.
at least you are honest lol

Jem7dbk
07-26-2007, 08:02 PM
So what ended up happening with this? I don't post often, but I've checked the site about two or three times a day for the last 4 or 5 months : / Now I cant view the pics and video section either.

Clint
07-26-2007, 08:09 PM
So what ended up happening with this? I don't post often, but I've checked the site about two or three times a day for the last 4 or 5 months : / Now I cant view the pics and video section either.
You have to have a rep of 30+ to see the pics and vids section. A better explanation is here:
http://forums.mmanews.com/announcement.php?f=3

Gmunit
07-26-2007, 09:27 PM
You have to have a rep of 30+ to see the pics and vids section. A better explanation is here:
http://forums.mmanews.com/announcement.php?f=3

has anyone noticed the crappy threads made by people who HAVE 30 or more rep (mainly old video's or previously discussed topics), trying to boost their rep up, or is it just me?

Clint
07-26-2007, 09:37 PM
has anyone noticed the crappy threads made by people who HAVE 30 or more rep (mainly old video's or previously discussed topics), trying to boost their rep up, or is it just me?
Yeah I've seen that some. I'm hoping things level out over time with all of the rep-whoring.

mattsoper
07-27-2007, 08:23 PM
good idea but I'm mad. I've been pn this site for over a year. But I only have 25-29 rep points. Not because people hate me, I just don't start threads. hmmm well looks like I gotta go warm up to people

keep in mind I'm njot trying to be a whiner...I just think it sucks because I have been a dedicated member (lol) for over a year and now I can't see the pic?vid section.

Just a thought to trhough in for a suggestion. I think that maybe after a certain amount of months being here...say 6 months, you should get some rep points for being a dedicated member. Now of course rules should apply, like you have to actually post not just join and sit it out. I don't know, something to maybe consider?

Palma
07-28-2007, 03:43 AM
good idea but I'm mad. I've been pn this site for over a year. But I only have 25-29 rep points. Not because people hate me, I just don't start threads. hmmm well looks like I gotta go warm up to people

keep in mind I'm njot trying to be a whiner...I just think it sucks because I have been a dedicated member (lol) for over a year and now I can't see the pic?vid section.

Just a thought to trhough in for a suggestion. I think that maybe after a certain amount of months being here...say 6 months, you should get some rep points for being a dedicated member. Now of course rules should apply, like you have to actually post not just join and sit it out. I don't know, something to maybe consider?

The problem is that there are people who have been comming here for along time just to checkout the vids.

pezz
07-28-2007, 07:32 AM
there is like 90% of the people that come on here is because of the pic & video section isn't it?thats what made this site so popular ,why would you make it restricted.

Clint
07-28-2007, 05:56 PM
because those people bog down teh server and con't contribute anything. They just want a free ride.

pezz
07-28-2007, 07:05 PM
The server never is slowed down,don't think thats the problem.

blightsmite
07-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Would someone be so kind as to give me a rep so I can see the pic and video section (like I have been able to for the past twelve months)?

Thank you kindly,

BlightSmite

Clint
07-28-2007, 11:18 PM
The server never is slowed down,don't think thats the problem.
It's slowed pretty bad during events and even so those people don't contribute, why should they get the services of the people who run do contribute to the forum (remember we do this shit for free)

blightsmite
07-28-2007, 11:35 PM
If I had anything worth while to contribute to this site, I would do it in a heart beat. Things like streaming events and .flv's converted into mpegs are already done by the time I have figured out how to even work them.

What I have (and always will) contributed is intelligent discussion on the various topics at hand.

I've always behaved on this site and given people props for their efforts but now all of a sudden, through no apparent fault of my own, I'm denied certain privileges that I used to be allowed.

I'm not complaining nessessarily, just wanting the "YES, but all present members get grandfathered in and the rule applies to new members " option to be true.

pezz
07-28-2007, 11:36 PM
I understand what you are saying and this sight is free for all ,thats how it started.I bin where for a year and because im not a big poster i can't view the pic & video that just doesn't seem right.just my opinion.

blightsmite
07-28-2007, 11:45 PM
Whoever just helped me out just now. Thank you very much

Catalyst
08-01-2007, 09:40 PM
seriously guys, I've been here for almost a year, and now I'm just cut off from the pics/vids section? I try my hardest to contribute here, but I've had to pick up a second job to pay the rent recently, so my cable/PPV privilege was immediately out the window. Now, I have no access to any televised MMA AT ALL; you guys were my only source for PPVs and Fight Night events... this sucks

danzig187
08-01-2007, 09:57 PM
If I had anything worth while to contribute to this site, I would do it in a heart beat. Things like streaming events and .flv's converted into mpegs are already done by the time I have figured out how to even work them.

What I have (and always will) contributed is intelligent discussion on the various topics at hand.

I've always behaved on this site and given people props for their efforts but now all of a sudden, through no apparent fault of my own, I'm denied certain privileges that I used to be allowed.

I'm not complaining nessessarily, just wanting the "YES, but all present members get grandfathered in and the rule applies to new members " option to be true.

i feel ya man same here, even tho my numbers dont show it i feel i have a perfect rep. been here for over a year, never spoiled anything always all good. i ote to be grandfathered in.

o and if anyone wants to rep me sum points go ahead

steelebone
08-03-2007, 03:19 PM
I've been here for more than a year and I dont post much.i like to listen not speak!!

J zingher
08-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Yeah, me too. I was wondering if someone could help me out. I've been here over a year

Bullock
08-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Yeah, me too. I was wondering if someone could help me out. I've been here over a year

I have never seen you around contributing... :confusedsmilie:

that is probably why you get no love.