PDA

View Full Version : UFC editing: Creating what they want us to see

Steel
06-16-2007, 02:09 PM
We've had a few posts on the topic but after last nights viewing of the last 2 eps, I can see that UFC goes through a careful editing & planning process to pain the right pic of what they want us to see & feel.

The comments during the pong match..Dana's comments about BJ's demeanor, the whole bit about him hating losing, the bit about Jenns being so carefree per se.

It's like they want us, the viewing audience to see Jens as the rogue wildmanand BJ as the focused professional and they're making sure we get it.

The cool thing was BJ's clip stating how he wants to beat Jenns so he can retire them and they can be friends..I'm surprised that made it to the show as it detracts from the "hatred" they have for each other.

I remember thinking Leben was a goof after seeing his behavior on Season 1 and now wonder how much goofiness was removed regarding other fighters as they were building an image for Leben.

TUF is starting to make UFC more wwe-like.

spinach
06-16-2007, 04:14 PM
You are going to get that with any reality series.

I also agree that the UFC is becoming more WWE like.

The only real truth that you can get from anyone is unedited and straight from the mouth.

perc10
06-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Im pretty sure Spike produces the show

Steel
06-16-2007, 04:45 PM
I'm sure UFC knows the direction it wants the program to go in as well as the crowd response to each individual fighter hence we see what they want us to see no matter if it's UFC and/or Spike produced.

I wish MMA were included in more ESPN and other non-bias arenas so we could get a better view the same as we see other sports and their players.

perc10
06-17-2007, 06:29 AM
I think your reading into it too much,the UFC conspiracy

sandywh
06-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Sure its edited. However, you can only do so much. The crazy stuff sells, but you can't make an asshole look like a nice guy, and a timid guy look crazy. I personally think that they edited the Karo stuff enough to make Nate look pretty inocent. Every other confrontational scene had Nate jumping up and reaqdy to throw without much provication, but then they made it look like Nate was calm while Karo bullied him. I'm sure that the edits made are to only intensify the personalities of the people in it. Leben was a mental case, and they portrayed that to a maximum level. Gabe was a drama queen and they exploited that. Thats the best term to use.
Exploiting.
They don't make shit up, but they do exploit what is already there. You can look back on every season.
1) Leben being looney tunes
2) Cummo being a space cadet
3) Hamill being a bitch
4) Serra a leader, and the flare up with Laimon
5) Gabe and his drama

Steel
06-17-2007, 09:13 PM
I think your reading into it too much,the UFC conspiracy

Never said conspiracy..I think it's marketing 101 in effect.

Bullock
06-17-2007, 09:17 PM
all I can say to threadstarter:

DUH

We've known this since the very first season, lol

flexn488
06-17-2007, 09:33 PM
It's a show for Entertainment. That's all. Sure they edit it to create a certain response, Even my 14 year old kid knows that. Lets just hope that the UFC doesnt head toward the WWE type thing. That would be a total let down.

Bullock
06-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Hughes was really nice in TUF5 too...

He just like to bust balls and some people can't take it. He rips on Jens pretty good.

Bollman
06-17-2007, 10:19 PM
It's a show for Entertainment. That's all. Sure they edit it to create a certain response, Even my 14 year old kid knows that. Lets just hope that the UFC doesnt head toward the WWE type thing. That would be a total let down.

They're dancin' a fine line with the reality show bs. Dana will throw out his claims of how much he's done to legitimize the sport yet pander to the lowest common denominator with the reality show.
I don't see why they keep a house full of fighters around once they've been eliminated if it isn't to cause drama out of bordom or just plain stupidity. It's one thing to show the guys as people you can get to know as opposed to bored (sometimes drunk) antics painting a bad picture of mma participants, ie. the Sims/Thomas bs.

Bollman
06-17-2007, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE=

Can anyone name all contestants from TUF 1 or 2 with out looking or cheating?[/QUOTE]

No, because they have become obsolete. Only the cream of the crop of the newbies are worthy of sticking around to make a name for themselves. The rest fall by the wayside. There are soooo many good (or great) fighters out there that until they (inexperienced novices) are proven aren't worthy of recognition. (IMO)

Bollman
06-17-2007, 11:35 PM
I see what you are saying, but IMO it is a smart business move on the UFC's part to keep these guys around simply for the fact that they will be more know and when you slap them on the undercard or even a PPV people will say, "Hey, I know that guy".

True that, and I like tha idea that you get to see the guys and get to know their character, or atleast the character that the UFC wants to build (see prev post about editing). It's what built my respect for Serra ( and dissapointment in Karo). But I see them as a distraction to the guys in training and as an add on to the reality drama. But I do see what you're saying.
BTW, I think a better match up last week woulda been Gray V. Manny and Diaz V. Luozon. All this talk about Diaz, I think he would fall to a supiror striker and Manny would have a hard time against a good wrestler or bjj guy. Looking forward to tuesday, though.

flexn488
06-18-2007, 01:27 AM
Anyone else find it strange that the two finalists are related to two UFC fighters? It just seems a little too coincidental to me.

sandywh
06-18-2007, 01:59 AM
Anyone else find it strange that the two finalists are related to two UFC fighters? It just seems a little too coincidental to me.
Doesn't suprise me one bit. At the levels that Nate and Manny are at, experiences count as heavily as talent. Working these guys corners and being able to pick their families brains after a fight can definately give them an edge over a fighter that has similar talent but not the experiences as others. Its one thing to train in a camp with lots of veterans. Its another to be friends with those guys. Its even another thing to corner the same guys. But nothing will ever compare to getting into a veterans head and hearing his fears, his weeknesses, his mistakes, all on top of his sucesses.

BTW, those match ups were set to get Joe Lauzon versus Nate Diaz. Manny threw a wrench into the works, and may throw it into the whole thing.

Also, as far as I know Nick Diaz is still in the UFC's doghouse.

sandywh
06-18-2007, 03:13 AM
Manny has only lost a decision to Sherk. And is a damn good fighter.
No pun intended. Manny is the freakin' man. In my eyes, he's a 55-45 favorite over Nate on the finale.

chuteboxechamp
06-18-2007, 06:06 AM
manny was my pick from the start right after his first fight.