PDA

View Full Version : Has this season of TUF changed your mind on the Coaches?

poike
06-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Well, the fifth season of this show is coming to an end, with only the finals left to fight this saturday. As we all know, the fighters probably wouldn't be there without coaching.

As with every other season of TUF, the coaches for each team were in fact UFC-fighters, answering many of our questions on how they work outside of the octagon. Therer has been great coaches, and there has been "not so great coaches", but I for one almost always changed my opinion on the coaches after seeing how they came out on this show.

So my question to you guys, is, has this season of TUF changed your view on either BJ Penn or Jens Pulver, and if so, how? Was it to the better, or worse?

I actually had a slight personal issue with Jens 'Little Evil' Pulver, thinking he might have been overconfident and pretty cocky before this show and thinking BJ Penn is truely a good fighter to look up to. Now it's almost the contrary. Jens was a great coach on this show, always supportive and having no other requirement than the fighters to be loyal, train hard and listen to him. BJ Penn on the other hand, seemed like he didn't care about his fighters, sending one of his fighters to Team Pulver and acting like a little diva in my opinion. He might have had a reason to do so, but yet it feels like this is the wrong way to go.

Well, those are my opinions. The show itself has shown that there are actually pretty good lightweights coming on to the UFC, such as Nate Diaz (man I like his BJJ), Joe Lauzon and maybe even Corey Hill. We'll see about that last one, but he did generate the quote of this show, being; "This is my zone, this is my home, nobody comes in my zone or my home".

So, what did you guys think of the coaches? How has this show changed your mind about them?

baba
06-18-2007, 11:51 AM
I thought both coaches, depsite contrasting styles, were very good. The more I learned about Jens, the less I disliked him. I always thought BJ was the man, and after seeing this season, I realize that not only is he the man, but he's a hillarious mofo too!

I'm happy with this season -- though I was really pulling for Joe over Manny. I think Nate will take this one in the finale, just by virtue of being a Diaz (That whole family must be tough as nails).

sandywh
06-18-2007, 12:45 PM
I think both coaches played to their respective styles. Pulver is a veteran and shared nuggets of wisdom with his guys. He also seemed (creative editing maybe) to not try and punk anyone. He respected everyone of his guys. Even when he was giving Weems a hard time, it was for his own good, and still kept encouraging him. BJ was more a stand back and watch coach. From what you could see on the show (creative editing maybe) he seemed to want clones. The people he did roll with, he went in there and made them look like the rookies they were. i.e. Rolling with grey w/ no mouthpiece and hooking in sub after sub. Pulvers guys seemed more disciplined in the gym (fighting or trainning) where you saw BJ's guys kind of doing their own things (creative editing maybe).

I don't think I saw anything that changed my opinion of the two guys that much. I wasn't a big BJ fan before. I'm still not. I thought Pulver was the kind of guy you'd love to be cool with and hate him if your not.

808botz
06-18-2007, 03:25 PM
I hated Jens before this. But as the seaon went on i got to respect the dude. He seemed like a cool guy and really tryed to reach out to his team. As for coaching. I truely belive Jens had a better team. Besides Cory hill i feel no fighter on Jens team learned a whole bunch. If you watch the fights. Bj is always screaming and telling them what to do. While Jens was a mute. But Jens seemed to reach out to his team and bonded with them. He got there Trust and that can go a long way.

perc10
06-18-2007, 05:46 PM
I think BJ is a good coach,he just gets mad when guys dont listen to his cornering and I think he has natural talents and cant unerstand why some guys cant get it done like him

tmac
06-18-2007, 08:11 PM
This season kind of changed my opinion of Jens. In the sense that I learned more about him. I wasn't really into UFC when he was fighting, so from the show I learned that he was cool. My opinion of Bj didn't change any. I had heard so much about BJ and he did not disappoint.

So before the fight I was really rooting for BJ and did not give Jens a chance. I still think BJ will win, but I am hoping that he doesn't beat Jens too bad now.

2mcgrath
06-18-2007, 10:18 PM
i thought both the coaches done a great job.i thought ken was one of the worst coaches on tuf

CEVANS
06-19-2007, 02:00 PM
yeah agreed ken was a meatstick

the only thing he did was show tito how to play pool

Spain215
06-19-2007, 02:29 PM
i agree as most people, i gained alot of respect for both jens and bj. when ken was a coach he just wanted to beat tito

ArMnHC
06-19-2007, 02:30 PM
i watched the BJ/Jens Bad Blood special last night, and im even more excited for this fight now! not that i wasnt cuz BJ is one of my favs, but this is gunna be great :grinsmile1:

the show of course didnt change my views on either of the coaches. BJ is still the man, and Jens is still the "Mini Ken Shamrock" i thought he'd be before going into the show...but Jens obviously was a better coach then Ken could ever be IMO.

if you didnt laugh at Jens' whole "Conspiracy Theory" antics before the semis, then you have no sense of humor LOL

neonatural45
06-20-2007, 01:47 AM
I really liked both guys before and after the show

scottsec
06-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Pulver is a stand up guy. No bullshit. I lost a little respect for BJ though. That whole wang deal was kinda lame. BJ was just pissed that Dana gave him shit so he took it out on wang..imo. Kinda unprofessional. Wang is a Wang but still BJ couldve handled that better imo. Hes still pretty cool but i think Pulver is the man.

strife
06-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Pulver is a stand up guy. No bullshit. I lost a little respect for BJ though. That whole wang deal was kinda lame. BJ was just pissed that Dana gave him shit so he took it out on wang..imo. Kinda unprofessional. Wang is a Wang but still BJ couldve handled that better imo. Hes still pretty cool but i think Pulver is the man.

Have to understand though he had a talk with Wang before the fight on a gameplan, and Wang told him he would listen and carry out the plan. When the fight started Wang completely ignored BJ, didn't listen to a word he said from the corner and looked like a little bitch after the fight...deservingly. I'm not sure I'd want a liar and someone unwilling to listen to my instruction on my team either, that'd get me extremelly heated. And that was only the fight, I'm pretty sure BJ wasn't just referencing that when he gave ole Wang the GTFO card....but other stuff in the gym too. Maybe some people were trying to mimic Wang's attitude for not listening and BJ had to throw him out to get his team's attention once again. Especially after Dana told him to lock it up.

Bull City Madman
06-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Jens Pulver is the man! Jens won a tough fight the first time. Period. He said it himself, "I was getting my ass kicked the first two rounds and I knew I had to step it up and thats what I did." Enough said. Nevermind the fact he has been with the Miletich camp for going on 7 years. He has kept getting better since they're last fight.The bottom line is BJ is a great fighter but really hasn't shown me he's getting better. As a trainer I think he let his hate for Jens cloud his judgement in regards to his fighters. They're the ones the show was about and they're the ones who suffered the most. Don't believe me, look at the outcome. GO MILETICH!

Have to understand though he had a talk with Wang before the fight on a gameplan, and Wang told him he would listen and carry out the plan. When the fight started Wang completely ignored BJ, didn't listen to a word he said from the corner and looked like a little bitch after the fight...deservingly. I'm not sure I'd want a liar and someone unwilling to listen to my instruction on my team either, that'd get me extremelly heated. And that was only the fight, I'm pretty sure BJ wasn't just referencing that when he gave ole Wang the GTFO card....but other stuff in the gym too. Maybe some people were trying to mimic Wang's attitude for not listening and BJ had to throw him out to get his team's attention once again. Especially after Dana told him to lock it up.

scottsec
06-20-2007, 02:15 PM
well if he wouldve gotten rid of wang on his own fine, but he did it after dana gave him shit..

ZackUFC
06-23-2007, 04:30 AM
no it didnt change my mind at all

but if u watched TUF3
that really changed my mind about tito ortiz

dan the man 67
06-24-2007, 11:15 AM
I think that both of the coaches did excellent jobs, and they both handled themselves well.

The only thing that caught my attention is when they mentioned that Lauzon had beaten Jens in the past - it sort of made him lose some credibilty as being a coach in my eyes. Sort of clouds the view of the whole teacher-student persona. Was I the only one to think this?

RaiderRob71
06-24-2007, 02:00 PM
I like how BJ really got in the ring and mixed it up with the guys.

Pythonfighter14
08-17-2007, 10:42 AM
The only thing that caught my attention is when they mentioned that Lauzon had beaten Jens in the past - it sort of made him lose some credibilty as being a coach in my eyes. Sort of clouds the view of the whole teacher-student persona. Was I the only one to think this?

Not really for me. but what it did make me think about was taht Jens was either really losing his edge, or lauzon is just amazing. I now think its a lil bit of both.