PDA

View Full Version : Hatton v JLC and clutching

Thaistylist
06-20-2007, 05:25 AM
http://www.thering-online.com/ringpages/ringupdate.html

Interesting read. The clutching is a problem. It seems like no one ever boxes their way out. One guy just muscles the other against the ropes and holds them there. Any chance that the refs actually call this one by the book and call Hatton for holding?

Also, who do you all think will win this fight? I am going with Hatton by 10 round tko regardless of clutching or no clutching.

Dork8503
06-20-2007, 06:52 AM
i think Hatton takes this by ud, i say he wins every round but maybe 1 or 2

Punk Ass
06-20-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm gonna say JLC by Dec. He almost beat PBF the first time around because of the pressure. I don't think Hatton has ever faced anyone quite like him and there style is very simular.

Salvy_Mic
06-20-2007, 05:37 PM
I'm picking Hatton by close decision, because I think both guys are gonna come to fight. Hatton's been craving a FOTY-type match with a top-tier opponent and Castillo's trying to prove he still deserves to be involved in high-profile, big money fights. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this fight.

Salvy_Mic
06-22-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm actually just bumping this thread, especially since the fight is tomorrow. This may as well become the official Hatton vs. Castillo thread.

But just to reiterate, I think Hatton wins a close, thrilling decision that replaces Cotto/Judah as FOTY...at least until Marquez/Vasquez II has something to say about it.

Punk Ass
06-22-2007, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE]But just to reiterate, I think Hatton wins a close, thrilling decision that replaces Cotto/Judah as FOTY...at least until Marquez/Vasquez II has something to say about it.

i agree.

Thaistylist
06-22-2007, 09:56 PM
I am excited for this fight I have a couple of Irish friends at school and they got me into Ricky Hatton. When we'd get drunk we would all sing

"Oh ricky H, will knock you out, oh ricky h will knock you out." To the rhythm of The saints go marching in. It is too bad they are back home for the summer or I'd be even more excited. Those Hatton fans can get raucous

lightsout
06-23-2007, 08:32 AM
hatton= over rated.

Thaistylist
06-23-2007, 05:22 PM
lightsout = troll

Salvy_Mic
06-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Thaistylist=funny

At least at this instant.

SimpleJack
06-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Does Hatton finally get some love now??????

Drunkenmaster
06-24-2007, 01:53 PM
...Probably not. Unless Hatton beats superman with a first round ko there will always be critics.

Punk Ass
06-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Does Hatton finally get some love now??????

Castillo was tailor made for him. He's slow, and doesn't use head movement.

He needs to fight Junior Witter then move back up to WW.

SimpleJack
06-24-2007, 03:17 PM
I just love the fact that 3 weeks ago people were saying that Hatton had to beat JLC in order to legitimize his career. Now, JLC is nothing more than a punching bag that was lined up for him.

Punk Ass
06-24-2007, 03:55 PM
I just love the fact that 3 weeks ago people were saying that Hatton had to beat JLC in order to legitimize his career. Now, JLC is nothing more than a punching bag that was lined up for him.

And people still say Hatton needed to beat JLC, doean't mean that his style isn't tailor made for him.JLC was the JWW world champion, now Hatton is truely the best in his weak ass division. Besides a seemingly old overnight shell of the old JLC there is nobody wirth anything in that division. Not even Witter now that I think about it.

If Hatton goes to the WW division, he's gonna get killed, but it's time for him to step up and see what fighters that can match his speed look like.

Salvy_Mic
06-24-2007, 04:31 PM
I think Hatton could do okay at 147, but he'll definitely lose a few times. I still say he's got a good shot against Mayweather, Hatton vs. Cotto would be a fantastic fight, but he'd get killed against the likes of Mosley and Margarito (bad matchups for Hatton...Mosley's speed and power and Margarito's size and durability are not good combinations for Hatton). Hatton isn't that much smaller than Cotto, and he's only shorter than Mayweather.

As for last night, it was entertaining while it lasted, and the knockout shocked the hell out of me. Hatton did what he was supposed to do and brought his A-game; Castillo, though, is probably through as a top level fighter, although he'll unfortunately keep on fighting for the money. At 140, the only real big fight Hatton could take is against Malignaggi.

SimpleJack
06-24-2007, 04:37 PM
And he'll slaughter Malignaggi. I like the Magic Man, but Hatton is a beast at that weight. I think he'd do well at 147 as well, but Cotto is way too tough. 1 or 2 really nasty body shots can turn the tide in any fight and Cotto is gonna land those.

Punk Ass
06-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Yes, Hatton would do well at 147, by me saying he would get killed, I mean't against Cotto, and Mosley, or even PBF if he desides to man up again.

I accually think Hatton has the speed to beat Margarito though, I havent been overly impressed with him, and he's too slow IMO.

Salvy_Mic
06-25-2007, 04:24 AM
I disagree, I think Margarito's style is a bad matchup for Hatton. First off, Margarito isn't just a tall welterweight, he's pretty big anyway, and that brawling, rangy, windmill style would make it hard for Hatton to get in on Margarito. Not only that, but Hatton's power wouldn't do much harm to Margarito's iron chin. Think Foreman vs. Frazier, because that's the sort of matchup I see between Hatton and Margarito. As for Mosley, he probably hits as hard as Hatton does at welterweight and matches his speed, if not surpasses it outright. I know Mosley likes to fight, and that would make it interesting, but in the end, Mosley's got too many tools in the box for Hatton.

I think Hatton does against Mayweather, because while he's probably a bit slower than Mayweather, his aggressive, bulling style to get on the inside and his bodywork will give Mayweather problems, and Mayweather does not have the power to keep Hatton off of him. Hatton would use the same tactic that Castillo used against Mayweather, just with more speed. As for Cotto, I think Hatton's speed could slightly offset Cotto's size in their inevitable body-punching festival of a match. Hatton's hands are faster, but Cotto is stronger and bigger. Either way, he'd be an underdog against all 4 guys I mentioned, but Hatton would make it a real fight. Hatton vs. Cotto is a FOTY-type match.

I don't how well he'd do against Kermit Cintron though, on paper, Cintron's size and length should give Hatton problems, as well as his potent power, but it looks like Cintron can get mauled and brawled. It would be harder for Hatton to do that against Cintron than it was for Margarito, but it would be an interesting matchup. Paul Williams might have too much height for Hatton though and keep him on the end of his jab of all night.

Greenish
06-25-2007, 08:14 AM
Hatton has pretty short arms which makes WW to hard for him. While his reach is listed as 65" most of it is eaten up by shoulders. Armpit to fist he's only 20" - shorter than most featherweights.

Caine2878
06-25-2007, 03:16 PM
Hatton would not do well at WW. I don't think there is 1 elite WW Hatton can stay with, not 1. The first time he moved up he was given a gift win againt Callazo. I had him losing that fight. A fight with Cotto would be very entertaining while it lasts but it would end badly for Hatton. I think he would be target pratice for PBF because PBF is too fast and accurate for Hatton. Margarito is too big and can take a punch well. SSM too fast and powerful. If he were to move up they would probably put him in with Clottey and he would probably lose that fight. He knows he is not ready for WW which is why he moved back down.

klev1
06-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Although Hatton did look good, JLC did look like a shot fighter. His legs were wobbly from the first bell. I'm not taking anyway away from Hatton, i think he gives EVERYBODY at 147 problems except for Mosley and Cotto.