PDA

View Full Version : tuf 5 jumped the shark?

goldie1692
06-20-2007, 02:34 PM
do you think this season of tuf has jumped the shark?

Malice
06-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Not at all, if anything it has resurrected what TUF should be...
(This belongs in the TUF forum)

scottsec
06-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Clarify yosef kneegrow.

WadoKai
06-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Jumped the shark? If you're going to use slang, use something that's universally known.

Malice
06-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Jumping the Shark:

Jumping the shark is a metaphor for the tipping point at which a TV series passes its peak or introduces plot twists which are inconsistent with what has preceded them. Once a show has jumped the shark, the viewer senses a noticeable decline in quality or feels the show has undergone too many changes to retain its original charm.[1] The term has also evolved to describe other areas of pop culture, including movie series, music, acting celebrities, or authors for whom a drastic change was seen as the beginning of the end. The term derives from an episode of Happy Days in which Fonzie jumped over a shark while on water skis.[2][3][4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark

scottsec
06-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Clarification complete....Fonzie...heh heh.

neonatural45
06-20-2007, 02:43 PM
I think that TUF is going downhill but will be on T.V. for a couple more years. It brings so many new fans in that it would hurt the UFC not to have it. It also helps promote fights/fighters

Malice
06-20-2007, 02:44 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/51/Fonzie_jumps_the_shark.PNG/200px-Fonzie_jumps_the_shark.PNG

I thought everyone knew this? You guys are too young!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpraJYnbVtE

scottsec
06-20-2007, 02:44 PM
I think that TUF is going downhill but will be on T.V. for a couple more years. It brings so many new fans in that it would hurt the UFC not to have it. It also helps promote fights/fighters
Whats funny is that the rating were down but i really like this seasons tuf better than most...go figure.

Malice
06-20-2007, 02:47 PM
If anything, this TUF was more for the hardcore fans, since Jens and BJ fought before the "TUF generation" of fans.

scottsec
06-20-2007, 02:48 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/51/Fonzie_jumps_the_shark.PNG/200px-Fonzie_jumps_the_shark.PNG

Ive never heard that phrase.....and im old enough to say with pride i actually watched that episode when i was a kid.....i was really stressed about the possibility of da Fonz dying.

CHUCKtheCHAMP
06-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Whats funny is that the rating were down but i really like this seasons tuf better than most...go figure.

yeah me too...other than 1 this is the best one imo...i also liked 3

petey
06-20-2007, 02:52 PM
i thought it was one of the best seasons they have had so far. i actually watched the whole season this time.

hops69
06-20-2007, 03:04 PM
yeah ive watched the entire season as well.

Malice
06-20-2007, 03:06 PM
This is the first season I have watched since TUF 1 and I have to say I have enjoyed it.

Mirko45
06-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Jump the shark isn't for a single season but for a series as a whole. And nothing on this season came close to it

thebwit
06-20-2007, 03:35 PM
I didn't really watch the first 2 seasons just episodes here and there. It was too gimicky for me. 3rd season caught my attention and this season was great too. I think it helps when the coaches actually have some beef with each other. Next season should be interesting.

scottsec
06-20-2007, 03:41 PM
I didn't really watch the first 2 seasons just episodes here and there. It was too gimicky for me. 3rd season caught my attention and this season was great too. I think it helps when the coaches actually have some beef with each other. Next season should be interesting.
Yeah this is the first time im actually aticipating a TUF...

Malice
06-20-2007, 03:47 PM
I think it has been a really good season, the bad fighters were weeded out pretty quickly an BJ and Pulver have actually been pretty real IMO.

tapper
06-20-2007, 03:53 PM

i remember that. the sitcom kiss of death, or jumping the shark, is jefferson darcy, where he goes, so does the shark. dude's been on every frickin show.

foutch550
06-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Clarify yosef kneegrow.

:lmfao:

goldie1692
06-20-2007, 03:58 PM
i agree that the content was great, was just talking about the ratings. the casual fan might of lost interest somewhat.

jcurin
06-20-2007, 03:59 PM
I thought this season was great, once they got out of the prelims all the fights were good... and the semis were fantastic. If i saw the lauzon/manny and diaz/maynard fights on a PPV i would've definitely thought i got my money's worth.

some of the guys on the show were tools (Wang, Mr. Indestructible, Gabe), but the quality of the fighting made up for it.

Beatts35
06-20-2007, 04:35 PM
no this season did not jump the shark.

like someone else said tuf 1,3 & 5 have been the best by far. overall i think this season has had the best fights. they seem to really limit what we see in the hosue as compaired to the first 2 seasons. zuffa has a contract with spike and will be producing tuf's through 2008. i don't think the series will go on for more then another 2yrs.

i'm sure after that the will evole into something else.

Tokyo's bad boy
06-20-2007, 04:39 PM
do you think this season of tuf has jumped the shark?

lol, yes. rep

Matt Boone
06-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Jon Hein....he's a rich nerd!

goldie1692
06-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Jon Hein....he's a rich nerd!

HHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIII WELCOME TO THE WRAP UP SHOW!!!! HAHAHAHA BABA BOOEY TO U ALL!!!!

blazeallwayz
06-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Jump the shark is definitely a generational term. I learned it from an ex-room mate of mine who is older. There is even a website dedicated to it if anyone is interested.

And as for TUF 5. I agree with it being more for hardcore fans. The casual fans were probably not interested in "lightweights" competing, but I also feel that this has been the most exciting and successful season regardless of the Nielson media research. I really enjoyed the format of all 16 fighters being in the same weight class. It just makes more sense and keeps things very interesting at the house...

One more thing to add: Am I crazy or is it really weird how Jens is the underdog for this match even though he won last time?? I mean I thought the same thing when Rampage was dubbed the underdog in his fight with Chuck and we all know how that turned out!

2mcgrath
06-20-2007, 07:55 PM
i didnt know what it meant ethier right off.but back on topic i like tuf'er ive liked about all of them.but i will say i have liked this season the best it has had some great fights

Ubermensch
06-20-2007, 08:18 PM
I myself like 2-3 and 5 I think 1-4 sucked.

jj413
06-20-2007, 10:13 PM
It jumped the shark after the first season. The drama/babying wasn't bad compared to the second and third season. It went back to being good with 4 (even though people considered it boring, it was great seeing all these old UFC guys just training and no womenly drama/bitching). Then it jumped back with this season. Next season is probably going to suck.

ufcboss
06-21-2007, 06:09 AM
I think 1, 3, 4, 5 were great but 2 was full of shit, the fights were gay, Cant believe that rashard won, I mean his first fight was the absolute worst performance I have ever seen, What was he thinking acting like a retarted monkey. He said "Thats how I fight" But I havent seen him fight like that since. I pray that Jens KO's BJ, Only because of BJ saying 50 times "Im gonna retire him" over and over. No disrespect to him. Just want him to lose !

TUF 6 should be good but its a shame The battle of the Matt's wont happen at the finale, Those money making bastards! I hope Serra wins so GSP can Knock him out.
All for our enjoyment!

perc10
06-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Yeah this will be entertaining as long as a fight happens every show. Yeah I hope Serra wins too then hell already have a better run than GSP

Gmunit
06-22-2007, 02:51 PM
I "flip the switch" before it "jumps the shark"

ZackUFC
06-23-2007, 03:59 AM
no way this season was one of the best