PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss for MMA

error2k5
06-22-2007, 05:53 AM
I thought I would ask you guys about this because i'm fairly new myself and I didn't want to give out the wrong information. I was recently asked a question that I couldn't answer, any feedback would be appreciated. A friend of mine wants to start going to classes with me but he's overweight. Should he work on weight loss before trying to go?

Metalhead
06-22-2007, 06:14 PM
I think he'll lose weight at class so why can't he go?

error2k5
06-22-2007, 09:17 PM
I think he'll lose weight at class so why can't he go?

he's worried about not being able to keep up I guess

Metalhead
06-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Just tell him to go to class. Nobody there judges and if they do they are assholes.

ftballdk
06-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. I started training 2 weeks after I quit my 2 pack a day habit, and I was probably 20 lbs overweight with no real cardio endurance. I felt like Fatty McGee wheezing up a storm after 5 minutes but, no one criticized, in fact I received only encouragement, leading me to shed those 20 lbs while adding 20 or so of muscle.

Metalhead
06-23-2007, 12:47 AM
Most martial arts places you go everybody is extremely nice.....like almost TOO nice. Fucken weirdos.

jcflores
06-23-2007, 01:03 AM
Most martial arts places you go everybody is extremely nice.....like almost TOO nice. Fucken weirdos.
If they aren't nice to you, you would not get better, if you do get better then you comeback for the team enviroment. Plus being nice will atract more ppl meaning more $$ and the dojo/ gym / whatever can pay its bills. So overall its a win win situation for you, the gym and the trainers.

ukbuckeye
06-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Agree with everyone above - if it's a good dojo then everyone there will be fine with that.

It would be unreasonable for anyone to expect someone who's just starting out to keep up with a group of people who've been training for months or years.

Besides, I bet most people struggled during their first few training sessions... I know I did, I think I needed an oxygen mask at the end! :grinsmile1:

Clint
06-25-2007, 09:59 PM
If he cleans up his diet while doing the MMA classes he will lose the weight pretty fast.

bugsy n
07-16-2007, 10:27 PM
he's worried about not being able to keep up I guess

even if you are skinny it dont mean you gonna keep up....just like any skinny guys he will keep up if he dont quit ....i know what im talking about since i was alot more fat when i started ju jit su ....thake a class is one of the best thing to get fit

krayven
07-16-2007, 11:16 PM
If he cleans up his diet while doing the MMA classes he will lose the weight pretty fast.

quoting this for truth. I started a Minnesota Mixed Martial Arts academy about a month ago, theres a guy I usually end up being paired with since we are the biggest guys in class me being 6'6 215 and he being about 6'4 closer to 280. He could barely clear the warmup drills without damn near dying when we first started and now he is one of the big contributors to the class. You really can't ask for much of a better workout than a BJJ class in my opinion. By all means tell your buddy to go for it. Nobody makes fun of anybody one being that they are focused on what they are doing and 2 most guys like to help out in anyway they can.