PDA

View Full Version : Gray Maynard: Rematch with Robert Emerson Discussed by UFC

TriangleChoke
06-25-2007, 06:39 PM
From UFCJUNKIE.COM:

Gray Maynard (2-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC), whose fight with Robert Emerson (6-6 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at The Ultimate Fighter 5 Finale ended in a controversial no-contest this past Saturday, has already spoke to the UFC about a possible rematch.

Maynard delivered a second-round, fight-ending slam that rendered Emerson incapacitated — and Maynard dazed and apparently unconcious. Emerson entered the fight with a rib injury, and the force of the slam looked to worsen it. Reeling from the pain, he was forced to tap.

The fight was quickly stopped, but afterward, referee Steve Mazzagatti noticed that Maynard was also unable to continue. Replays showed he had smashed his own head into the canvas during the slam, and upon the initial impact, his eyes closed and his body went limp. In the seconds that followed, he stumbled around the Octagon floor before regaining his composure.

Maynard didn’t learn the fight had been ruled a no-contest — rather than a submission victory — until the official post-fight announcement. The Xtreme Couture fighter, who had dominated the first round of the fight, immediately protested the decision to the referee and then to UFC broadcaster Joe Rogan during a post-fight interview.

During an interview last night on The Fight Network’s “The LAW” radio show, Maynard said he had not decided whether he would officially contest the ruling, but he did state that the UFC had already spoken to him about a possible rematch.

The rematch would likely be part of a UFC Fight Night event or possible undercard filler for a UFC pay-per-view event.

I dont like Emerson, so I'd like to see Gray whoop that ass again..although i do think gray is somewhat of a bitch now that i saw his reaction after the NC.

sandywh
06-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Gray went super-bitch when he heard the decision. I'm cool for being pissed, but dude knew he was knocked cold. The answers he had were the ones that his corner told him. I lost a ton of respect for him when he flipped. IMO he deserved no worse than a draw. (A NC is like frenching your sister. Yeah it happened, and it was fun,but neither one of you will admit it.) But to react like a scolded 3 year old was over the top. If he was gonna act that way, he should have at least called the whole thing BS and said that he would whoop Emerson's ass anytime, anywhere, in any org (that won't fix a decision in order to cash in on the rematch).

neonatural45
06-25-2007, 08:09 PM
I dont really blame gray for throwing a bitch fit

1. He trained hard for this fight, and he thought he won untill the announcement.... that would suck

2. He could be telling the truth and he was just rocked from the slam, not unconsious

3. If he was out cold then it could have affected his memory and if his corner told him that he won and that he was fine then he probably beleived it

scottsec
06-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Do we really need to see this fight again???

Severn
06-25-2007, 08:20 PM

No we really don't.

perc10
06-29-2007, 06:30 AM
Yeah I think Gray has a little bitch in him, he composed well most of the season but that last fight when he trotted out of the room like a four yr old,then hes arguing he wasnt out I started to believe about being tired until he rolled on his face with his ass in the air. Ive only seen that once when a girl did a whip it at a party and fell on her face like that and she wouldnt believe she was out cept for grass stain on her forehead. But Grya arguing with Rogan about it,I mean Rogan cant reverse decisions,I dont even think White can isnt it the NSAC?

leedogg900
06-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Yeah I think Gray has a little bitch in him, he composed well most of the season but that last fight when he trotted out of the room like a four yr old,then hes arguing he wasnt out I started to believe about being tired until he rolled on his face with his ass in the air. Ive only seen that once when a girl did a whip it at a party and fell on her face like that and she wouldnt believe she was out cept for grass stain on her forehead. But Grya arguing with Rogan about it,I mean Rogan cant reverse decisions,I dont even think White can isnt it the NSAC?

cant really blame him for being angry. emmerson tapped and he shoulda won even if he was unconscious, which he was.

fighters who are just starting out dont exactly make alot of money..

i dont know for sure but im guessing, 8k for the fight, another 8k to win..

thats 8k down the drain. i dont know about u guys but thats alot of fuckin money to me.

its not like grey was a complete dick on the show and that adds to it, he was a nice guy on the show and actually seemed pretty cool. i think people are being to hard on him for being angry. it was a bs call. he lost 8000$. he shouldnt have argued about being unconscious but also im willing to bet he didnt even know he was out cold.

Omoplata
06-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Grey drove his own head into the ground... what a dumb $hit! Next fight should be in a padded room... or a pillow fight!

perc10
06-30-2007, 08:15 AM
cant really blame him for being angry. emmerson tapped and he shoulda won even if he was unconscious, which he was.

fighters who are just starting out dont exactly make alot of money..

i dont know for sure but im guessing, 8k for the fight, another 8k to win..

thats 8k down the drain. i dont know about u guys but thats alot of fuckin money to me.

its not like grey was a complete dick on the show and that adds to it, he was a nice guy on the show and actually seemed pretty cool. i think people are being to hard on him for being angry. it was a bs call. he lost 8000$. he shouldnt have argued about being unconscious but also im willing to bet he didnt even know he was out cold.
No hes not a dick but I think he has a little bitch in him(likes to cry)

blah
07-04-2007, 11:47 PM
I dont like Emerson, so I'd like to see Gray whoop that ass again..although i do think gray is somewhat of a bitch now that i saw his reaction after the NC.
funny for the fight with the wrestler gray and kickboxer emerson, that gray outstruck him, and emerson took gray down.

808botz
07-20-2007, 11:54 AM
They stoped the fight cuz Emerson tapped. Not because Gray KO himself. So i dont see why it was a NC. In sports if the Ref makes a mistake they dont change the whole outcome.

2mcgrath
07-20-2007, 03:15 PM
i wouldnt mind to see a rematch.i thought the first one was a decent fight.but i think gray will get a win from the rematch.as long as he dont knock his self out again lol.yeah i agree rob did tap and i agree i dont see why they ruled it a nc.

jcflores
07-23-2007, 12:05 AM
Yes. I need to see Emerson get subbed or KTFO for my entretainment. Since he told the world that he was different coming in this fight and the only thing differet that I saw was his hair do. You lied to me Emerson...you lied....why? :confusedsmilie:

eazye76
07-23-2007, 06:26 PM
I like Gray, and I kinda think he got screwed. Let's take a look at Emerson AKA - Dana's Boy.
-Lost his first fight to inexpirenced Corey Hill.
-Got a 2nd chance.
-Lost again!
-Still gets a spot on the Ultimate Fighter Finale, and taps out after a slam.
As odd as it is I feel 100% sure he will get another shot in the UFC, rematch or not.
Anybody else get the feeling that Dana has a little man-crush on Rob?

LethalStriker
07-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Grey drove his own head into the ground... what a dumb $hit! Next fight should be in a padded room... or a pillow fight!

It isn't the first time it's happened before. Mark Kerr and Matt Lindland have both KOed themselves.

BrandonM
07-26-2007, 09:21 PM
lol yea that matt lindland incident was 1 of the funniest things i've ever seen, & especially when his opponent started celebrating like he just won the title or something lol