PDA

View Full Version : What if...?

jlruthven84
07-03-2007, 01:26 AM
I got to thinking the other day...what if Nate Quarry hadn't been injured during the taping of TUF1?

Guys like Diego Sanchez and Kos were competing at that weight class on the show, as was Quarry, who had to drop out before getting a single fight due to his injury.

Had he won the show, he might have gone on a completely different fight path. Anyone think the landscape of the UFC MW division might have been altered had he not been hurt?

P.S.-I am incredibly bored.

BIG FLO
07-03-2007, 01:49 AM
this doesn't answer your question Sundance, but didn't he get kicked out for having some alleged ego problems? He didn't strike me as a guy with a big ego.

jlruthven84
07-03-2007, 02:40 AM
this doesn't answer your question Sundance, but didn't he get kicked out for having some alleged ego problems? He didn't strike me as a guy with a big ego.

That's the story, though I didn't see him as that kind of guy either. 'Course, we never got a chance to really know him all that well before the Franklin fight.

And dude, your Sapp gif is priceless. I'd rep you to 200+ if I could.

jlruthven84
07-03-2007, 02:43 AM
Good question, I think that what happend to Nate was the best thing for him. After all he was the first Tuffer to get a title shot and I don't think that winning the show would have gotten him there any faster. I'm pretty sure that Nate is schedualed to make a return before too long and it will be intresting to see how he does. I want to see him fight Rich again if Rich gets beat by the Anderson/Nate winner, call me crazy but I want to see it again.lol

Also, Nate got kicked out of Team Quest, anyone have any idea where he is training now?

I'd like to see them again too. I don't think Nate respected Rich's standup the first time around. He'd probably still lose, but that's what got him KTFO.

He impressed me the few times I saw him. Hope to see him back soon, good and healthy.

blah
07-03-2007, 03:56 AM
well nate got his shot, so that's a very good thing that happened. very interesting to consider how everything would have turned out had couture not slammed the guy on nate's foot.

on a side note, i wonder if the coaches on tuf, or just randy and chuck do/don't get to do some research on the guys outside of/before tuf begins. would they just base it off of their inhouse evaluations. i'm not sure of the complete order of who got picked but i know southworth and quarry were picked first, curious that they would think southworth is better than say griffin, or that standup fighter quarry wouldn't lose to diego. especially watching some of diego's kotc matches, talk about domination.

Spain215
07-03-2007, 07:02 AM
liddell didnt pick forrest for awhile because he knew randy wouldnt pick him. he wanted to get a couple more of the better guys first

rivethead
07-03-2007, 07:18 AM
...pretty sure that Nate is schedualed to make a return before too long and it will be intresting to see how he does. I want to see him fight Rich again if Rich gets beat by the Anderson/Nate winner, call me crazy but I want to see it again.lol

Also, Nate got kicked out of Team Quest, anyone have any idea where he is training now?

Nate has been quoted as stating

"I was told that I just wasn't important, I just wasn't that necessary for the team," he said. "[I was told] that I was tearing the team apart and that my ego was the biggest one there at the gym and I was no longer welcome."

I, for one, just can't see it. With guys like Herman and Leben, I just can't see anyone having an issue with Nate's ego...I think there is a lot of answers in his post-back-surgery-comeback fight.

I don't know that he'll make an impact, I think he has more than a puncher's chance. After the Franklin-all-time-highlight-reel-KO, I'm not certain he has a chance to crack the top 10, but I'd bet on him against Leben or Herman in a heartbeat.

But the ego thing I just think is bizarre...

rh

sandywh
07-03-2007, 06:37 PM

This from Nate: "When I was coming back from my surgery I wanted to be able to regain my place in the pecking order. But with the camp growing and splitting into seemingly two different camps I had no place to go. I wanted to train with the same guys and coaches that I had before and they just didn't have the time. I did complain about this to a few of my teammates and that just seemed to start a bunch of nonsense. Then I was offered an opportunity to train with the "IFL Guys" and at that point I decided that maybe I needed a change of scenary. I have nothing but love for the fighters still fighting in that camp and will always hope that they do well, but for me, right now, the best thing for me to do is to work with the best trainers and coaches regardless of where they are or who they are affiliated with."

To the topic:
I believe that the suits at UFC treated Nate as if he had won the TUF contest. he was the heavy favorite going in and when he stuck around and helped coach the other guys he earned massive brownie points. I honestly beleive that if he had had even one fight on TUF that things would not have worked out as well as they did for Nate. According to his website he should be fighting somewhere (probably UFC) near the end of summer, but he is going to take it easy and no jump back into the pecking order he left at. All that aside. I still think that when he's healthy he's a top 5 fighter.

sandywh
07-04-2007, 02:47 AM
I would like to see Ivan Salaverry put an ass kicking on this kid.
I'd love to see this fight!

blah
07-04-2007, 11:41 PM
liddell didnt pick forrest for awhile because he knew randy wouldnt pick him. he wanted to get a couple more of the better guys first
ah ok. do you know why he thought couture wouldn't pick forrest? not from team quest? not wrestler type?

marko
07-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Couture didn't want to pick forrest as he thought Forrest didn't listen to coaches.

Forrest and Stephan Bonner were sparring during the evaluations and Forrest was warned twice about going too heavy and that the fighters weren't there to injure each other, sure enough five minutes later they butted heads and Bonner suffered a cut !

So Chuck knew that Randy wasn't going to pick Forrest and picked a few of the other guys knowing that he'd be able to get Forrest anyway

da@LARGE
07-13-2007, 10:18 AM
I thikn the UFC tried to reward Quarry for getting injured on the show by giving him that fight against Franklin. It's too bad how afterwards so many people dumped all over him, what was he supposed to do, say no to a title shot?

i wonder if the coaches on tuf, or just randy and chuck do/don't get to do some research on the guys outside of/before tuf begins. would they just base it off of their inhouse evaluations.

I've wondered that, too. But when Ortiz said he'd have picked Herman had he known his history, it makes it seem like they don't do any research on the fighters.

But I figure the coaches are most interested in picking guys they can work with seeing as how it's such an intense training period and they don't want someone who's gonna drag down the team.