PDA

View Full Version : Ulcer, Any Drinks Or Foods To Help Deal With It

He-Man
07-04-2007, 04:16 AM
I can't find anything other than mashed potatoes, milk is a no no, tea for some reason helps too.

JTS
07-07-2007, 09:21 PM
He-Man,

Do a search for "low gastric irritants" for some guidelines. Rather than eating foods that will make your ulcer better, it is usually a matter of avoiding foods that make it worse such as pepper, citrus juices, carbonated drinks, minimize/avoid caffeine and alcohol, etc.

Obviously, your diet modifications will be individual to you as far as what your stomach can tolerate as you said that milk makes you worse and tea makes you better. For most it is the opposite. You can consider keeping a food diary and figure out what works best for you.

Have you seen a doctor for the ulcers? Ulcers are commonly caused by a bacteria, frequent use of NSAID's (Ibuprofen/Advil/Motrin, Naproxen/Aleve) and increased acid production. Your doctor may prescribe antibiotics and/or acid blockers in addition to the diet modifications.

Hope this helps.

He-Man
07-08-2007, 12:10 AM
He-Man,

Do a search for "low gastric irritants" for some guidelines. Rather than eating foods that will make your ulcer better, it is usually a matter of avoiding foods that make it worse such as pepper, citrus juices, carbonated drinks, minimize/avoid caffeine and alcohol, etc.

Obviously, your diet modifications will be individual to you as far as what your stomach can tolerate as you said that milk makes you worse and tea makes you better. For most it is the opposite. You can consider keeping a food diary and figure out what works best for you.

Have you seen a doctor for the ulcers? Ulcers are commonly caused by a bacteria, frequent use of NSAID's (Ibuprofen/Advil/Motrin, Naproxen/Aleve) and increased acid production. Your doctor may prescribe antibiotics and/or acid blockers in addition to the diet modifications.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response JTS....

Bullock
07-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Try drinking your own pee.

Bullock
07-09-2007, 12:55 AM
I was reading through the illnesses that pee drinking has supposedly fixes and most of them didn't seem bad enough to make me want to drink pee.

SimpleJack
07-09-2007, 01:36 PM
I would try Crown Royal.

Tick
07-13-2007, 05:23 PM
I have acid reflux disease, had ulcers from removing polyps from my stomach and well just problems in general. I havent realyl found foods that helped but I cut out alot of foods that hurt. What helped for me was writing down what I ate for a few weeks and marking what foods really irritated my stomach. Then I cut these foods out of my diet, or for some of them just ate them alot less. Any tomato based sauces bothered me alot so I pretty much cut them out. Now maybe once every month or two I will have spaggetti. Orange Juice bothers me if I have more than 1 glass in the morning.

There are also little things I found that helped After I eat I dont lay down, if I sit I sit straight up. I try to walk around for at least a half hour after. It helps with the digestion and everything

I also started taking a herbal supplement that is suppose to help heal ulcers and stomach acid problems. I can't remember what it is called at hte moment but I will find out (send me a PM to remind me if you are interested.) What it has in it is d-Limonene, which is the oil extracted from orange and lemon peals. I was scepticle about if it would work. I took two cycles of it. and have had little to no problems since. I took the first cycle last september (a cycle is 1 pill every other day for 20 days) and then I did another in the beginnign of february. I have had little problems at all. At the beginning of may I had my reflux checed out and it went from sever reflux with really back swelling in the esophgus to minor reflux. Whether that stuff helped my stomach heal or my diet change I am unsure. It was probable a combination of the two, but I believe it helped me out alot. I will get the name of the product if I remember. Do your own research and see if it is something that might help you out.