PDA

View Full Version : Thread Content

The Natural994
07-10-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm just thinking in terms of the betterment of this forum...So...
I don't mean to sound like a stickler or whiner, but I have some discrepancies with some of the content in threads...Particularly the swearing.

I know a lot of people on here just operate off of the Dana White F-this and that mentality and think it's completely ok becasue the president of the UFC does it...But I think it sounds un-educated and is annoying especially when its used so loosely all the time around here.... It especially becomes a problem when bantering goes back and forth...but anyways...

I can't stand it, and I can't stand the fact that people can't communicate on here without all the cussing.

Is there a way to eliminate it? Or Possibly bring down rep points ?

I dont know...Just a suggestion...I'm by no means 100% innocent of this my self but I think if there was a penalty or some sort of auto-edit that posts something else when you try to type a work or something..I'm just rambling and it's merely a suggestion to improve the discussion.

Ramma
07-10-2007, 02:27 PM
to be honest... if you think swearing on these forums are bad... then we are your grace land.. head over to Sherdog's forums... a curse every other word. And I don't think too much cursing goes on here.. only when people are angry...

What I would suggest instead is to make it so that members have the ability to filter out curses. For example. SHIT may show up for someone who doesn't care while the other person can set a filter feature and it appearing as S**T or just simply ****... or we could go Quebert $#!%...

Clint
07-10-2007, 02:30 PM
to be honest... if you think swearing on these forums are bad... then we are your grace land.. head over to Sherdog's forums... a curse every other word. And I don't think too much cursing goes on here.. only when people are angry...

What I would suggest instead is to make it so that members have the ability to filter out curses. For example. SHIT may show up for someone who doesn't care while the other person can set a filter feature and it appearing as S**T or just simply ****... or we could go Quebert $#!%...

Interesting idea. I don't care if people curse, so right now the only things filtered are racist terms.

Gmunit
07-10-2007, 03:24 PM
i don't really care either way, however cursing CAN be funny as hell if put in the proper context, it can also portray passion about the topic and cursing while arguing means you REALLY mean what you are saying

Submissionist
07-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Cursing is ok in my book as long as its not directed to another member. There is a difference in saying "f*ck you insano1" and saying this thread is f**king awesome.

2mcgrath
07-10-2007, 10:55 PM
i use cuss words in some of my posts as well.but i dont do it just because im on an internet forum posting,i do it because this is the way i talk in person.i use them loosely in face to face conversation.and most people i know or hang out with do the same.to me cuss words are just that words.no different from any other word to me.and alot of the time they help you get your point across

Mungo
07-11-2007, 06:07 AM
I think it's fucking bullshit that motherfuckers are always tryin to limit what the fuck I have to say. Cuss words or not, if it's proper or not, if it makes me sound uneducated or not, it's my point of fucking view and it's me. Nobody is going to change me or edit me, not if I have anything to say about it. Accept what others say for them just being themselves. Emapthy and understanding is whats needed here, not editing.

As for the racism being edited, if it's in a joking manner that equally offends everyone. Does it really have to be edited? Can the serious racist remarks stay unedited and just resuilt in a ban? Racism isn't always just racism. Dave Chapelle and Carlos Mencia aren't racist, it's just comedy right? Tell that to Don Imus, ignorant cunts got him fired for something, that if said by Carlos or Dave would have gone unnoticed. We all need to embrace the idea that all races are welcome to be jokingly EQUALLY racist, as long as they are always friendly and usually NEVER serious.

Clint
07-11-2007, 08:46 AM
I think it's fucking bullshit that motherfuckers are always tryin to limit what the fuck I have to say. Cuss words or not, if it's proper or not, if it makes me sound uneducated or not, it's my point of fucking view and it's me. Nobody is going to change me or edit me, not if I have anything to say about it. Accept what others say for them just being themselves. Emapthy and understanding is whats needed here, not editing.

As for the racism being edited, if it's in a joking manner that equally offends everyone. Does it really have to be edited? Can the serious racist remarks stay unedited and just resuilt in a ban? Racism isn't always just racism. Dave Chapelle and Carlos Mencia aren't racist, it's just comedy right? Tell that to Don Imus, ignorant cunts got him fired for something, that if said by Carlos or Dave would have gone unnoticed. We all need to embrace the idea that all races are welcome to be jokingly EQUALLY racist, as long as they are always friendly and usually NEVER serious.

Yeah context is everything, so it only edits the handful of words that are most likely to offend people. Anything else is taken in context before it's handled.

The Natural994
07-11-2007, 01:09 PM

That is by far one of the stupidest things i've ever read...

Anyways, my point is with eliminating or atleast editing some of the cussing it will at the least....at a minimum.... make it NOT worth a "trolls" time to waste on here hijacking a thread.... I'm also not talking about editing and eliminating cussing every forum and i'm not talking about eliminating every word on here.... For instance, there is no context on here when certain words should be used. Those words...and we all know which 2 or 3 can really trigger someone to go off and it leads to an entire thread of good mma banter being ruined.

Also, there are a lot of memeber to this place and who knows the age range..Younger MMA fans don't need that crap.....But...at the end of the day i'm sure nothing will change so long as all the people are hiding behind their computers, that way anyone can say whatever they want. Just remember...Irregardrdless of what anyone say on here.... no one talks like that at work, public, or wherever. If you do, thats your problem and have a nice life living in your parents basement or whatever and cleaning toilets.

Oh well just a thought.

Other than that, you moderators do a good job and this is the best mma forum i've found...

valheruking
07-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Dude get over yourself sounding like your too good to associate with us, i talk like that in normal life as do all my friends and family, its no big deal, there only words we can handle them, if you cant handle people swearing thats your problem, as 99% of the forum is educated enough to realise that words are words and many swear words are used to express peoples feelings and thats all, last time i checked nobody was throwing racist or hurtful slurs around here so calm the fuck down (see swearing is great for emphasising your point).

The Natural994
07-11-2007, 02:17 PM
99% of the forum is educated enough to realise

while you must be the 1%

Just messing with you....:grinsmile1:

Listen buddy, this is a feedback/suggestion forum....All i was doing was merely suggesting to the moderators was that they think about it..I personally think that it would improve the board by cutting down on the trolling and name calling...The moderators tend to disagree...I'm over it and i'll still be sticking around here...It's not my problem. I just saw something that I thought would improve the board. Don worry about it :thumbsup:

valheruking
07-11-2007, 02:43 PM
I really didnt have a problem with your original suggestions, but when you start saying that people are basically trash if they swear in everyday life, to me thats someone jumping on their high horse and judging others, you dont know how people speak in everyday life around their family and friends and to suggest that they are toilet cleaners or whatever because of something as stupid as the words they use, is kinda immature imo.

It's not my problem. I just saw something that I thought would improve the board. Don worry about it
Hey thats cool with me im not a mod or anything, just a normal poster like you, so your suggestion is just as valid a mine, but maybe you should show a little restraint next time and you wont bring people into the picture that didnt have a problem with your original point.

Mungo
07-11-2007, 06:19 PM
That is by far one of the stupidest things i've ever read...

Anyways, my point is with eliminating or atleast editing some of the cussing it will at the least....at a minimum.... make it NOT worth a "trolls" time to waste on here hijacking a thread.... I'm also not talking about editing and eliminating cussing every forum and i'm not talking about eliminating every word on here.... For instance, there is no context on here when certain words should be used. Those words...and we all know which 2 or 3 can really trigger someone to go off and it leads to an entire thread of good mma banter being ruined.

Also, there are a lot of memeber to this place and who knows the age range..Younger MMA fans don't need that crap.....But...at the end of the day i'm sure nothing will change so long as all the people are hiding behind their computers, that way anyone can say whatever they want. Just remember...Irregardrdless of what anyone say on here.... no one talks like that at work, public, or wherever. If you do, thats your problem and have a nice life living in your parents basement or whatever and cleaning toilets.

Oh well just a thought.

Other than that, you moderators do a good job and this is the best mma forum i've found...

People like you really get under my skin. I love how people insult me without backing up their insult with any logic. If you think what I just said was stupid why don't you atleast explain why, instead of just degrading what I say.

I do cuss in public and I don't live with my parents or scrub toilets. I don't say anything on here I wouldn't say in person. You should be ashamed for assuming the things you do.

Legend
07-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Gay

Dork8503
07-11-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm just thinking in terms of the betterment of this forum...So...
I don't mean to sound like a stickler or whiner, but I have some discrepancies with some of the content in threads...Particularly the swearing.

I know a lot of people on here just operate off of the Dana White F-this and that mentality and think it's completely ok becasue the president of the UFC does it...But I think it sounds un-educated and is annoying especially when its used so loosely all the time around here.... It especially becomes a problem when bantering goes back and forth...but anyways...

I can't stand it, and I can't stand the fact that people can't communicate on here without all the cussing.

Is there a way to eliminate it? Or Possibly bring down rep points ?

I don't know...Just a suggestion...I'm by no means 100% innocent of this my self but I think if there was a penalty or some sort of auto-edit that posts something else when you try to type a work or something..I'm just rambling and it's merely a suggestion to improve the discussion.

I'm sorry but posts that look like this **** **** **** ***** ****** ***** **** *** **** ****would get annoying

Its not like every post is hey fuck you, no fuck you, no fuck that, no fuck me lol.

I mean i hate to say it but if the cussing bothers you maybe your in the wrong place.

The Natural994
07-11-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm sorry but posts that look like this **** **** **** ***** ****** ***** **** *** **** ****would get annoying

Its not like every post is hey fuck you, no fuck you, no fuck that, no fuck me lol.

I mean i hate to say it but if the cussing bothers you maybe your in the wrong place.

I don't even know where to start....So i'll just click you...

Listen (this isn't directed at you Dork)...Let me make this clear...The swearing isn't going to drive me away and I DO think i'm classier than any one who CAN'T express their opinion with out littering it with f'this and f'that. Thats not going to change so don't waste your time arguing with me.

Now...Am I guilty of polluting threads with that crap in the past....Absolutely. I try not to resort to that ...but... around here... and any other forum for that matter...Excessive cussing is there and its HEAVILY contagious and can really take away from some good conversation.

The second someones opinion or view gets drowned out by someone who knows more, thinks they know more, is ignorant, defiant, etc....a response is usually given filled with all that crap and then it goes back and forth and about 9 pages later the thread just ends. Ruins good covo in my opinion. Not to mention...I really thought it would make the moderators jobs easier and make this place not so appealing to trolls.

Oh well, I was wrong...It's the moderators choice and I was merely trying to make a suggestion that might make this a better place.

I'm over it.

Like I said, this is a good forum, i'm not going to leave over this I was just making a suggestion.

Clint
07-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Yeah suggestions are always welcome. We've implemented quite a few things people have come up with.

Dork8503
07-11-2007, 10:46 PM
I wasnt trying to tell you to leave if thats what you thought.

Imput is always great.

I understand some people like to cuss alot, myself being one of them.

But if you cut the swearing out you will have a bunch of this ***** and imo that takes focus away from the reading.

2mcgrath
07-11-2007, 10:51 PM
yeah i mean we are all grown ups here,so i would rather see the cuss word as opposed to seeing this *****.i have seen plenty of funny movies take american pie for instance,when it isnt edited its funny as hell,when it is edited its not that funny,alot of the stuff is stupid in the movie without the cuss words

The Natural994
07-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Seriously, Thanks for making a suggestion, that's what this forum is for. I don't see how that would make our job easier though, if anything, it would make it harder having to patrol for cussing???

Well what I was thinking was using something like an auto edit which would require no patrolling and just eliminate it and **** would just show up for CHOICE words, not every cuss word in the book....I also think it doesn't take away from the focus nearly as much as vulgar language can...Also, eventually people would get sick of seeing that **** And then they would just type a normal response then and eliminate it period. There could also be something like a rep decrease for things that get out of hand...Those are just a few off the top of my head... I guess its something you moderators would really have to discuss.....As for making the job easier though... I was thinking along the lines of trolls who ruin everyone else's fun would be deterred by not being able to litter threads with cus words and start a battle and completely shift focus to them away from the mma stuff....It's a complete assumption but that alone I assume would probably make the job a lot easier.

Oh well, it was just a thought.

The Natural994
07-11-2007, 11:40 PM
yeah i mean we are all grown ups here,so i would rather see the cuss word as opposed to seeing this *****.i have seen plenty of funny movies take american pie for instance,when it isnt edited its funny as hell,when it is edited its not that funny,alot of the stuff is stupid in the movie without the cuss words

I don't remember because it's been so long since I registered....But we may not actually all be adults....

I most certainly am, but there's a lot of members here and I would assume a portion are kids or teens. Granted they aren't going to see anything on here they don't hear in school...But, I just think the place would be better off if (excuse me if I sound like i'm back pedaling) SOME* words were eliminated.

valheruking
07-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Testing: ******
Yep the the N word is banned, its about the only word i think needs to be banned as it can be taken out of context.

valheruking
07-12-2007, 12:14 AM
Then all is right with the world lol

Mungo
07-12-2007, 06:47 AM
Anyone know what words are actually banned?

I know the N word but not Cracker?

What else? Shall we start thinking of bad words to finish this thread up with? Just to see if they are banned of course?

Haha that ties into the double standard I was talkin about earlier.

So even if I'm 100% joking and I make sure to use derragatory slangs towards all races it still gets edited?

Weaksauce.

Clint
07-12-2007, 09:55 AM
the words that are edited are:

Gmunit
07-12-2007, 10:52 AM
the words that are edited are:

I saw someone dropped "The Hard C" ealier in this thread, so that one still works (*hint* rhymes with Gunt)

Clint
07-12-2007, 11:37 AM
I saw someone dropped "The Hard C" ealier in this thread, so that one still works (*hint* rhymes with Gunt)
I just typed a bunch of * to see if anyone would try and guess them. The only 2 words censored are :
* N word - it almost always seems to instigate a fight wether intentional or not

* C word in it's singular form only - If you call someone a C#nt people get pissed off (alot of times not even that person) but if you use the word cunts about a group people typically don't get a pissy.

If something else pops up that causes problems, I would censor it but in general those are the 2 words people use when looking for an emotional response.

Gmunit
07-12-2007, 11:52 AM
I just typed a bunch of * to see if anyone would try and guess them. The only 2 words censored are :
* N word - it almost always seems to instigate a fight wether intentional or not

* C word in it's singular form only - If you call someone a C#nt people get pissed off (alot of times not even that person) but if you use the word cunts about a group people typically don't get a pissy.

If something else pops up that causes problems, I would censor it but in general those are the 2 words people use when looking for an emotional response.

i wasn't complaining as I don't give a darn (lol) about it cursing, just making a statement (and I thought the singular form was banned, and did realize it had been pluralized (sp?) earlier)

anyway, thanks for the clarification

jesusatemyhotdog
07-12-2007, 11:52 AM
If the N word is banned why not kike, spick, gook, chink, etc.?

Not trying to be a pain in the ass, but they are all the same word essentially.

Clint
07-12-2007, 12:02 PM
If the N word is banned why not kike, spick, gook, chink, etc.?

Not trying to be a pain in the ass, but they are all the same word essentially.
I had considered that but none of them have caused any problems (they aren't the immediate standby when looking for a reaction) so generally if one is used it is used in an acceptable context (like here). If someone used one as a slur i would ban the person and consider censoring it if it became a problem.

That and there are too damn many slurs and spellings to censor them all without ending up censoring real words.

Ramma
07-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Interesting idea. I don't care if people curse, so right now the only things filtered are racist terms.

Yeah, racist terms should definitely be filtered no matter what.. that stuff isn't needed here

Fuck That.

Sorry.lol

I knew someone was going to do it lol

Ramma
07-12-2007, 01:17 PM
I had considered that but none of them have caused any problems (they aren't the immediate standby when looking for a reaction) so generally if one is used it is used in an acceptable context (like here). If someone used one as a slur i would ban the person and consider censoring it if it became a problem.

That and there are too damn many slurs and spellings to censor them all without ending up censoring real words.

yeah exactly.. someone could easily get a slur by with alternate spelling.. it would take forever.. adding a second t to the word C U NT or spacing it out like I did could also get it by... it is to hard to do

and people could separate or join the words. for example, calling someone a jewbag (calling them greedy for money)... someone could easily just type jew bag... and the only way to sensor it is by blocking jew and bag...

valheruking
07-12-2007, 02:30 PM
I think the system is fine the way it is, i've never heard/seen any reason to clamp down on the words we can use, its one of the cool things about this forum.

jesusatemyhotdog
07-12-2007, 03:02 PM

Makes sense.