PDA

View Full Version : My new routine to get back in Shape

Clint
07-10-2007, 09:20 PM
At this point my ass has fallen off the health wagon completely and it's time to get back in shape. Some note on my situation:
* I live in an apartment and don't have a gym membership. I do have plenty of equipment for what I need:
- Powerbands (heavy ones not those little thin ones)
- adjustable DBs (up to 50lb each)
- Medicine ball
- Handfull of other stuff

* I work at a desk but have my own office. So I will shut the door, change my shirt and do a short complex on my lunch break and I will also be doing some GPP on regular intervals through the day so that I'm not so tired when I get home. (It's weird that doing nothing will make you more tired than doing something)

* It's like 105 degrees with the heat index outside at the moment (The humidity is terrible) so I doubt I'll be doing too many outdoor workouts but as summer breaks some I'll add some sprints in.

So my daily routine will look like this:
Lunch Time at work:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Minute Drill

Tuesday, Thursday
Pedal under desk bike, use powerball

Minute drills (there are a couple of there but they all look similar to this):
Burpees 20 sec
Split Jumps 20 sec
Jumping Jacks 20 sec
Mountain Climbers 20 sec
Grasshoppers 20 sec
Squats 20 sec
Rest 30-60 sec
Repeat 4-6 times

The GPP I will be doing through the day will be things like knocking out 20 quick BW squats or doing a minute or two of isometric wall pushes. Just something to keep flood flowing and my metabolism running.

After Work:
Note QS stands for Quality set, since I'm using bands for some stuff, I have to adjust since the bands aren't exact.
Monday
Deadlift 5x5
BOR 3xQS
Cuban Press 3xQS

Tuesday
ab wheel 3xQS
Hip Swing 3x15
Crunches 3xQS

Wednesday
1 arm Pushups 5x5
Dips 3xQS
OHP 3xQS

Thursday
ab wheel 3xQS
Hip Swing 3x15
Crunches 3xQS

Friday
1 leg Squats 5x5
OH Squat 3xQS
Lunges 3xQS

Clint
07-10-2007, 09:28 PM
As for my diet, I will be doing the following:
Breakfast: 1 scoop muscle milk. 1 serving greens+, Celery or other veggie, Piece of Fruit

(The breakfast veggie lasts me until damn near lunch, so theres no snack inbetween)

Lunch: Left overs from dinner OR a Frozen South Beach Diet Dinner and additional veggie OR Chicken and veggie

Snack: Fresh Spinach, Tuna (or Salmon or canned chicken), either a touch of salad dressing (no sugar) or a bit of Mayo

Dinner: Varies but typically a meat (usually chicken), veggies, and if there is a grain it is brown rice or whole wheat

Snack: no Sugar Yogurt OR Ricotta Cheese and frozen berries

The only drinks: Green tea with Splenda or Water
If I'm hungry at other times, I will be sticking to lean protein (probably chicken breast) and/or raw veggies.

Rufio
07-11-2007, 02:04 AM
I'm about 175 right now. I was 227 like 2 and a half years ago. It's doable. You'll have to ween yourself off the junk food. If you really want to eat burgers, do some heavy lifting (like where you reach failure within 5-7 reps) and eat it an hour or so after your workout.

Clint
07-11-2007, 04:09 AM
I dunno what I weigh at the moment. Our scale got fucked up in moving and we haven't bought a new one.

Bullock
07-11-2007, 04:22 AM
I am at 210 right now. I think I can get to around 190 and still be healthy. I am just so broke that I can't afford healthy food.

Eating off the $1 menu is not a good way to keep fit, even if you rarely eat the bread like me.

I wish I had enough money to buy Xyience and take 68 supplements a day Sherk-style.

Clint
07-11-2007, 05:46 AM
I am at 210 right now. I think I can get to around 190 and still be healthy. I am just so broke that I can't afford healthy food.

Eating off the $1 menu is not a good way to keep fit, even if you rarely eat the bread like me.

I wish I had enough money to buy Xyience and take 68 supplements a day Sherk-style.
Meh Xyience is shit. You can actually supplement pretty cheap if you stick to the basics.

Rufio
07-11-2007, 08:25 AM
About all I can afford is whey. I've done some thermogenics and BCAAs, but I don't buy them consistently. Never even tried creatine.

Clint
07-11-2007, 03:54 PM
About all I can afford is whey. I've done some thermogenics and BCAAs, but I don't buy them consistently. Never even tried creatine.
If you just buy the Creatine Monohydrate, which is the only one really significantly researched, you can get it for like $0.22 per day so I stick with it and fish oil might be the most important supplement of them all (it's good for you in an amazing number of ways) and as long as it's enteric encoated then you can buy the cheap shit. Damn this all reminds me that I have to get my supplements together so I can start taking them again.

Anyways, analyze my routine fuckers :angrrry: lol. Seriously though anyone see any problems with my plan that I missed?

Rufio
07-11-2007, 06:17 PM
I've heard that it's better to only lift 3 days a week even if you go with a split, because it takes your nervous system about 24 hours to recover, meaning that even working another body part the next day messes with gains from the last workout. This was from a board where professional bodybuilders post. I dunno though.

I'd get a leaner protein powder if you're trying to lose fat, unless you're one of those people who can take tons of saturated fat and it doesn't store as long as you keep your carbs low. I've seen some research linking increased fiber to fat loss. You may want to supplement fiber or add stuff like canned green beans or old-fashioned oatmeal to your diet. I've gotten my best results when it comes to cardio from doing HIIT up this steep hill near my house. It sounds like what you're doing is pretty good for cardio though.

I'd eat more often though and with more protein. It looks like you just eat protein 3 times a day. I'm sure you know this, but you should eat once every 2-3 hours. Spread out the calories more. Buy a protein bar if you don't have time while at work. Try some fat free cottage cheese too. For that matter, why no egg whites?

Clint
07-11-2007, 06:34 PM
I've heard that it's better to only lift 3 days a week even if you go with a split, because it takes your nervous system about 24 hours to recover, meaning that even working another body part the next day messes with gains from the last workout. This was from a board where professional bodybuilders post. I dunno though.

I'd get a leaner protein powder if you're trying to lose fat, unless you're one of those people who can take tons of saturated fat and it doesn't store as long as you keep your carbs low. I've seen some research linking increased fiber to fat loss. You may want to supplement fiber or add stuff like canned green beans or old-fashioned oatmeal to your diet. I've gotten my best results when it comes to cardio from doing HIIT up this steep hill near my house. It sounds like what you're doing is pretty good for cardio though.

I'd eat more often though and with more protein. It looks like you just eat protein 3 times a day. I'm sure you know this, but you should eat once every 2-3 hours. Spread out the calories more. Buy a protein bar if you don't have time while at work. Try some fat free cottage cheese too. For that matter, why no egg whites?
I considered that with the lifting but since the Ab routine won't be that intensive and strength gains are a lower priority at the moment, I figure I can get away with it.

I'll probably go with a leaner powder when my bottle of Muscle Milk is gone but yeah carbs are my big enemy. I think my insulin resistance is all bitched up from so much sugar for years.

As for the protein I'm getting some in each meal (maybe you missed the tuna in my snack and I'm using the dairy as a protein in my last meal) although they are spaced a little far apart. Most of them are 3 hours apart with breakfast and lunch being 4 (but breakfast lasts for quite a while since I snack all morning with it). I might throw a shake in before bed once I pick up something leaner than Muscle Milk.

Right now it was no egg whites just because I'm hate getting up early enough to cook breakfast, but once I get tired of protein powder I'll probably start making omletes and freezing them for the week (surprisingly they reheat pretty well).

Rufio
07-11-2007, 06:48 PM
I just saw that for one "snack" you just had fruits and no protein.

BTW I don't believe all sugars are neccessarily "bad" carbs. I recall this South Beach chart which put most fruit sugars as low-medium on the glycemic scale (with the exception of watermelon which is high) and milk sugars being low. And I've heard that some of the "complex" carbs in Muscle Milk are actually refined. Here's the chart:

http://www.southbeachdietinformation.com/glycemic_index_food_list.htm

If strength isn't what you're going for though, you may want to do more high volume work that focuses on your slow twitch muscle fibers. Check this article:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1633676

liddell316
07-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Diet is the most important. When I started to get back in shape myself I started getting results by cutting back on junk food, then cutting it out almost completely to one time once a week, then totally to healthy foods. Junk food really tastes bad to me now, and when you read the labels you should think that it totally isn't worth it seeing how hard you would have to work to burn the calories off.

Clint
07-12-2007, 05:00 PM
I just saw that for one "snack" you just had fruits and no protein.

BTW I don't believe all sugars are neccessarily "bad" carbs. I recall this South Beach chart which put most fruit sugars as low-medium on the glycemic scale (with the exception of watermelon which is high) and milk sugars being low. And I've heard that some of the "complex" carbs in Muscle Milk are actually refined. Here's the chart:

http://www.southbeachdietinformation.com/glycemic_index_food_list.htm

If strength isn't what you're going for though, you may want to do more high volume work that focuses on your slow twitch muscle fibers. Check this article:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1633676

The reason fruit sugars are low is because fructose isn't processed with insulin like other sugars (so the only insulin response is from non fructose sugars in the fruit), instead the fructose is processed by your liver. The reason watermelon would be high is that there is a certain level of fructose where your liver cant hold anymore so it just turns the rest into fat. Now ya know

Although I've heard the opposite for milk, that it has a high GI. Either way I try to avoid milk because it makes me feel like shit 9I think I have a mild food allergy). Things like yogurt or cheese don't really bother me though unless I eat an assload of it.

Clint
07-12-2007, 05:04 PM
As for my routine, I'm torn with it because I like to lift heavy but I know that it's not the best choice for my weight loss goal. Ah well I'll try it out on monday and see how everything goes. I'm sure I'll have to adjust things as I go to make things work just right.

I've added the simple GPP things in this week and if you work a desk job I reccoemend it. I feel much better by getting out of my computer chair and doing some squats or pushups quick.

Clint
07-12-2007, 06:43 PM
I never really detailed out my GPP stuff but the plan was:
MWF - Things like squats, pushup variations, band pulls, etc just 30 seconds worth

T, Th - Isometrics. Ross Enamait (I'm using Never Gymless for alot of guidance on working out without weights) is big on Isometric "miniworkouts" randomly thrown in

However today was the first Isometric day and they aren't doing much for me. i'll do them next week but unless something changes they are getting replaced with more squats and shit. Maybe on Tuesdays and Thursdays I pick one exercise I want to improve and just do it for a few reps randomly through the day. I can see where isos would be good for a sticking point in an exercise but the other stuff energized me so much that these just don't seem as cool.

prseinziger99x
07-14-2007, 10:49 PM
a gym membership is out of the question?

maxp84z
07-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Let me give you some tips for snacks/food alternatives.... Dont drink anything besides water. If you want to drink something different, drink V8 JUICE! (low sodium kind perferably) That stuff is healthy and very low in carbs. (10grams of carbs per 8 ounce serving) It's also suprisingly filling. You can drink the greentea with splenda or any diet coke with splenda, it wont kill you.

As for the eggs, I'm hella lazy too! That's why I hard boil my eggs. I just put em in a pot, boil them for 10-15 minutes while I surf the net, etc and just crack the eggs open and take out the yoke. I usually eat 4 eggs for breakfast, 3 egg whites and I eat one whole egg with the yoke. (sometimes I eat 5-6 eggs depending on how intense my training is)

Also If you're looking for a good meal replacement/protein shake, I suggest looking up the Dorian Yates PRO MR shake mix. It has 42g of protein in one serving and only 19 carbs. It tastes pretty good to. I suggest geting the strawberry flavor. You can throw half a banana in with it and it makes it pretty tasty. I wouldnt consume more than 100grams of carbs a day if you're looking for fat loss and to get lean. It really depends on your workout on to how many carbs you're allowed a day.

bugsy n
07-16-2007, 11:24 PM

form what i hear from fighter here in montreal is that Xyience is not even that good and that most fighter that are sponcer by them dont even take it

matto
07-19-2007, 01:53 PM
At this point my ass has fallen off the health wagon completely and it's time to get back in shape. Some note on my situation:
* I live in an apartment and don't have a gym membership. I do have plenty of equipment for what I need:
- Powerbands (heavy ones not those little thin ones)
- adjustable DBs (up to 50lb each)
- Medicine ball
- Handfull of other stuff

* I work at a desk but have my own office. So I will shut the door, change my shirt and do a short complex on my lunch break and I will also be doing some GPP on regular intervals through the day so that I'm not so tired when I get home. (It's weird that doing nothing will make you more tired than doing something)

* It's like 105 degrees with the heat index outside at the moment (The humidity is terrible) so I doubt I'll be doing too many outdoor workouts but as summer breaks some I'll add some sprints in.

So my daily routine will look like this:
Lunch Time at work:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Minute Drill

Tuesday, Thursday
Pedal under desk bike, use powerball

Minute drills (there are a couple of there but they all look similar to this):
Burpees 20 sec
Split Jumps 20 sec
Jumping Jacks 20 sec
Mountain Climbers 20 sec
Grasshoppers 20 sec
Squats 20 sec
Rest 30-60 sec
Repeat 4-6 times

The GPP I will be doing through the day will be things like knocking out 20 quick BW squats or doing a minute or two of isometric wall pushes. Just something to keep flood flowing and my metabolism running.

After Work:
Note QS stands for Quality set, since I'm using bands for some stuff, I have to adjust since the bands aren't exact.
Monday
Deadlift 5x5
BOR 3xQS
Cuban Press 3xQS

Tuesday
ab wheel 3xQS
Hip Swing 3x15
Crunches 3xQS

Wednesday
1 arm Pushups 5x5
Dips 3xQS
OHP 3xQS

Thursday
ab wheel 3xQS
Hip Swing 3x15
Crunches 3xQS

Friday
1 leg Squats 5x5
OH Squat 3xQS
Lunges 3xQS

adjustable dumbells are the shit, anybody know of the cheepiest adjustable dumbells out there that go up to atleast 50 pounds?

Clint
07-19-2007, 03:55 PM
After yesterday, I have decided that I suck. I've never really trained for endurance since I don;t really like it and I've never been competing in something (where I would have to). So I trained primarily in strength and now a very brief complex at lunch time or a random set of burpees through the day and I'm cramping and sucking air. lol this might be a long process. I'm just going to have to ease into thins slower than anticipated to keep from getting too sore all the time.

a gym membership is out of the question?
Down here is is. It's atleast 50 bucks a month after a $100 fee to join and even then your not allowed to do anything like deadlifts because you might drop the weights and disturb one of the yuppies.

Let me give you some tips for snacks/food alternatives.... Dont drink anything besides water. If you want to drink something different, drink V8 JUICE! (low sodium kind perferably) That stuff is healthy and very low in carbs. (10grams of carbs per 8 ounce serving) It's also suprisingly filling. You can drink the greentea with splenda or any diet coke with splenda, it wont kill you.

As for the eggs, I'm hella lazy too! That's why I hard boil my eggs. I just put em in a pot, boil them for 10-15 minutes while I surf the net, etc and just crack the eggs open and take out the yoke. I usually eat 4 eggs for breakfast, 3 egg whites and I eat one whole egg with the yoke. (sometimes I eat 5-6 eggs depending on how intense my training is)

Also If you're looking for a good meal replacement/protein shake, I suggest looking up the Dorian Yates PRO MR shake mix. It has 42g of protein in one serving and only 19 carbs. It tastes pretty good to. I suggest geting the strawberry flavor. You can throw half a banana in with it and it makes it pretty tasty. I wouldnt consume more than 100grams of carbs a day if you're looking for fat loss and to get lean. It really depends on your workout on to how many carbs you're allowed a day.
Mostly things I knew but thanks. I'll probably hard boil some eggs for a couple of weeks and then get sick of them again. For whatever reason I rotate my breakfast alot because I get tired of it quick. On a side note though, eat a yolk or two, the are good for you in smaller amounts than the whites. They have some nutrients that are necessary to get the other nutrients out of the whites.

I'll look into that MRP, although I'm probably gonna end up going with whatever costco has for sale if the numbers look good. Saving up to buy a house sucks (but then again $1200/Month in rent sucks too)

adjustable dumbells are the shit, anybody know of the cheepiest adjustable dumbells out there that go up to atleast 50 pounds?
The Bowflex definitely aren't the cheap way to go. They are fucking expensive but my parent bought them and then never used them, so I took them. The cheapest way to go is to make your own dumbbells and just keep a small stack of 10lb weights around.

matto
07-19-2007, 04:09 PM
shit i wouldnt be able to make my own. i remember some1 posting a make your own equipment thread and it looked neat but i couldnt make shit. btw does anybody know where i can buy a grappleing dummy at? a lot of jj places have them but i dont know where the fuck they buy them from, and there is no way in hell id be able to make the ones off of that site.

Clint
07-19-2007, 04:33 PM
shit i wouldnt be able to make my own. i remember some1 posting a make your own equipment thread and it looked neat but i couldnt make shit. btw does anybody know where i can buy a grappleing dummy at? a lot of jj places have them but i dont know where the fuck they buy them from, and there is no way in hell id be able to make the ones off of that site.
Dumbbells are easy just a 12" peice of pipe and some hose clamps or locks to keep the weights from sliding into your hands.

I have no idea about the grappling dummy, I would say look around on google and see what you come up with.

matto
07-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Dumbbells are easy just a 12" peice of pipe and some hose clamps or locks to keep the weights from sliding into your hands.

I have no idea about the grappling dummy, I would say look around on google and see what you come up with.

thx for the help bud.

Clint
07-23-2007, 09:08 PM
okay change of plans due to a change in goals. Losing bodyfat is still a goal but it is going to have to take a back seat to conditioning.

My wife offered to pay for whatever MMA type classes I want and some of the equipement for my Birthday and just told me to pick a school/classes. That gives me exactly 3 months from tomorrow (24th) to whip my ass into shape before my birthday to not look completely pathetic come class time.

So plan at the moment is Ross enamait's begginers program (as my conditioning blows) for the next 5 or so weeks followed by his 50 day program outlined in Never Gymless (although I'll probably have to bump down the intensity of some of the workouts to complete them)

Anyone know of any good schools for either BJJ, Muay Thai, or MMA in or near Fairfax, VA?

Severn
07-23-2007, 10:41 PM
My wife offered to pay for whatever MMA type classes I want and some of the equipement for my Birthday and just told me to pick a school/classes.

Really? Wow, she deserves some rep points for that. Great gift.

Clint
07-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Really? Wow, she deserves some rep points for that. Great gift.
lol Thats what I thought.

Now I just gotta hurry up and get in enough shape to not look completely pathetic. I'd atleast like to make it through the warm up without collapsing :confusedsmilie: I never realized how much my conditioning sucked until I tried some simple bodyweight circuits.

matto
07-25-2007, 04:27 PM
okay change of plans due to a change in goals. Losing bodyfat is still a goal but it is going to have to take a back seat to conditioning.

My wife offered to pay for whatever MMA type classes I want and some of the equipement for my Birthday and just told me to pick a school/classes. That gives me exactly 3 months from tomorrow (24th) to whip my ass into shape before my birthday to not look completely pathetic come class time.

So plan at the moment is Ross enamait's begginers program (as my conditioning blows) for the next 5 or so weeks followed by his 50 day program outlined in Never Gymless (although I'll probably have to bump down the intensity of some of the workouts to complete them)

Anyone know of any good schools for either BJJ, Muay Thai, or MMA in or near Fairfax, VA?

bjj is grat and all but if you are trying to lose weight you should def sign up for muy thai as it beats the shit outta you and will improve ur conditioning as well, not sayin that bjj isnt good but def not near muy thai. but if you can find an mma class take that, they are hard to find but would be sweet if you could take it. they would teach you everything you needed to know about mma.