PDA

View Full Version : Best Athlete of all time??

oscar
07-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Who you think its the better Athlete of all time,and I mean the popularity,outside the game and inside,huge impact.

1.Cassius Clay I say is the best ever.

earle
07-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Who you think its the better Athlete of all time,and I mean the popularity,outside the game and inside,huge impact.

1.Cassius Clay I say is the best ever.

It's hard to narrow it down to just one. I would put Wayne Gretzky and Michael Jordan right up there but Muhammad Ali is a good choice.

oscar
07-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Give Me Reputation

jesusatemyhotdog
07-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Give Me Reputation

Give me a blowjob.

Severn
07-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Hard to argue against Jim Thorpe.

Clint
07-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Chuck Norris?

Metalhead
07-13-2007, 09:36 PM
It's hard to say as athletes in the old days didn't have the training knowledge they have now. Pretty sure Wayne Gretzky never touched weights in his day and he blew everybody out of the water. You kind of have to narrow it down to athlete of the decade.

Metalhead
07-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Mind you, Randy Couture is a pretty amazing athlete. He'll definatly be over looked had this not been posted on an MMA forum.

Afro
07-14-2007, 12:59 AM
Michael Jordan

Ali is arguably the 2nd best boxer of all time so its kinda hard to say hes the best athlete of all time

Metalhead
07-14-2007, 01:33 AM
Michael Jordan

Ali is arguably the 2nd best boxer of all time so its kinda hard to say hes the best athlete of all time

Who's number 1 then?

BigBanda
07-14-2007, 01:45 AM
Hulk Hogan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol jk

Thats a hard one but I hold Michael Jordan up really high.

Severn
07-14-2007, 02:11 AM
Seriously, no love for Jim Thorpe?

If you want to talk about Single sport stars lets mention Pele, Sugar Ray Robinson, Jim Brown, Dan Gable...

Punk Ass
07-14-2007, 02:17 AM
I think MJ without a doubt. The dude won championships whenever he played, with a flu, injury, (wiat, he hardly ever got injured, so that says something,) he scored 50 something points when he was 40 years old. That dude is the greatest, hands down.

Omoplata
07-14-2007, 03:05 AM
Jim Brown. Many say he was the greatest player ever in 2 different sports, football and lacross. Great Amature Track Star and I believe All State at another sport in HS, I want to say it was Baseball. Now give me reputation Damn it! LMAO... what was up with that guy?

Severn
07-14-2007, 05:09 AM
Jim Brown. Many say he was the greatest player ever in 2 different sports, football and lacross. Great Amature Track Star and I believe All State at another sport in HS, I want to say it was Baseball. Now give me reputation Damn it! LMAO... what was up with that guy?

I remember the late Dick Schaap mentioned that Brown was the greatest lacrosse player he ever seen.

As for that guy, that was weird wasn't it?

Omoplata
07-14-2007, 05:21 AM
"I made a half way interesting thread, gimmie rep so I can beat off to vids already!" Lame, search google or somethin.

Severn
07-14-2007, 05:43 AM
"I made a half way interesting thread, gimmie rep so I can beat off to vids already!" Lame, search google or somethin.

God forbid he contributes.

neonatural45
07-14-2007, 05:46 AM
If the RZA aproves of Jim Thorpe then I do as well. Its best athlete, not best at their proffesion

Omoplata
07-14-2007, 05:53 AM
Dont get me wrong Im all for contribution, I love to read and reply to a great topic like this but the idea of posting a good thread just for rep seems weak. Anyway, I'd throw in Thorpe, Ali and Bo Jackson as a top 4. Maybe MJ to close out a top 5.

SgtFrenchy
07-14-2007, 06:05 AM
Bo Jackson! I'm a Raiders fan and I didn't even think of him, nice! Have to throw Barry Sanders name in there somewhere too.

Severn
07-14-2007, 06:10 AM
Dont get me wrong Im all for contribution, I love to read and reply to a great topic like this but the idea of posting a good thread just for rep seems weak. Anyway, I'd throw in Thorpe, Ali and Bo Jackson as a top 4. Maybe MJ to close out a top 5.

You know, if Bo had a longer, injury free career he would easily be up there. I think he's already one of the best running backs to ever play. Maybe the best overall athlete to play that position.

Imagine someone like him at his peak trying his hand at MMA. Different time different era but man he was such a beast.

Omoplata
07-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Bo Jackson! I'm a Raiders fan and I didn't even think of him, nice! Have to throw Barry Sanders name in there somewhere too.
Oh Bo is classic when it comes to this topic. Football, Baseball and Track star. Amazing, could have been known as the greatest ever if not for the hip injury.

SgtFrenchy
07-14-2007, 06:18 AM
Oh Bo is classic when it comes to this topic. Football, Baseball and Track star. Amazing, could have been known as the greatest ever if not for the hip injury.
Ya that injury was brutal. I remember watching that game too.

Afro
07-14-2007, 06:34 AM
Who's number 1 then?
I say Ali, but many many many will say Sugar Ray Robinson

mcdev88
07-14-2007, 09:32 AM
immediatly i said MJ when i saw this thread.s he is no. 1 in my book.

sandywh
07-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Absolutely Bo Jackson

I'm old enough to remember him in his prime.
The dude was on his way to Hall of Fame careers in both sports.

Omoplata
07-14-2007, 04:46 PM
When I think best athlete I have to go with multi sport guys: 1) Jim Brown 2) Jim Thorpe 3) Bo Jackson. Those guys not only played multiple sports but excelled at them. Close out a top 5: 4) Ali - He is still the most recognizable face and name in the world. 5) Michael Jordan - Transended his sport and became a pop culture Icon.

Spain215
07-14-2007, 06:13 PM
alexander karelin the man dominated olympic wrestling for like 12 years only to be dethroned by the university of nebraskas own Rulon Gardner. God bless the USA.

Nebraska's in the House

cks
07-14-2007, 06:59 PM
Did anyone mention Herschel Walker? He played in the NFL, was part of the U.S. Olympic Bobsled team in 1992, almost made it as a sprinter. He also holds a 6th degree black belt in tae kwon do. (Source: Wikipedia)

So as far as greatest athlete he's got my vote. Hard to narrow this down though cause most people are looking at the greatest in just one sport, not across the board.

teshore
07-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Who's number 1 then?

mayweather said frazier was #1 and ali 2, that coming from the best boxer today, i personally think sugar ray robinson is the best

Severn
07-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Did anyone mention Herschel Walker? He played in the NFL, was part of the U.S. Olympic Bobsled team in 1992, almost made it as a sprinter. He also holds a 6th degree black belt in tae kwon do. (Source: Wikipedia)

So as far as greatest athlete he's got my vote. Hard to narrow this down though cause most people are looking at the greatest in just one sport, not across the board.

Good call on Hershel Walker. Carl Lewis is another one that should be mentioned in that category.

kickass32
07-15-2007, 08:45 PM

I didn't know he played lacrosse as well.........I obviously never saw him play, but it's hard to imagine him being better than a Jack Bionda, or the Gaits or Tavares......he could very well be though.....

drjones
07-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Seriously, no love for Jim Thorpe?

If you want to talk about Single sport stars lets mention Pele, Sugar Ray Robinson, Jim Brown, Dan Gable...
I'm with you on this one. don't even need to think about this one, the answer just jumps right out.

Jim Thorpe hands down.

TheBonger
07-15-2007, 11:35 PM
mayweather said frazier was #1 and ali 2, that coming from the best boxer today, i personally think sugar ray robinson is the best

i read a Mayweather interview where he said Larry Holmes was the greatest HW of all time. Also im going to have to agree with everyone who is saying Jim Thorpe im going to have to agree. For those of you not familar with thorpe here is alittle excerpt from his Wikipedia page.

"Jacobus Franciscus "Jim" Thorpe (Meskwaki: Wa-Tho-Huk) (May 28, 1888–March 28, 1953[1]) was an American athlete. Considered one of the most versatile athletes in modern sports, he won Olympic gold medals in the pentathlon and decathlon, played American football collegiately and professionally, and also played professional baseball and basketball. He subsequently lost his Olympic titles when it was found he had played two seasons of minor league baseball before competing in the games (thus violating the amateur status rules)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thorpe

Afro
07-15-2007, 11:45 PM
No love for Neon Dieon?

TheBonger
07-16-2007, 12:03 AM
No love for Neon Dieon?

he was without a doubt a great athlete but he doesnt matchup too well against other prominent multi sport stars, Bo vs Deion i for one would say Bo was far and away the better athlete, both where incredible at football but Deion's baseball skills were lacking and Bo's were not. I never really like Deion especially after the shit he pulled in Washington but i dont think my bias is affecting me when I say he is not in the same league as most of the guys mentioned here i.e Bo,Jim Brown,Jim Thorpe,MJ.

Afro
07-16-2007, 12:07 AM
he was without a doubt a great athlete but he doesnt matchup too well against other prominent multi sport stars, Bo vs Deion i for one would say Bo was far and away the better athlete, both where incredible at football but Deion's baseball skills were lacking and Bo's were not. I never really like Deion especially after the shit he pulled in Washington but i dont think my bias is affecting me when I say he is not in the same league as most of the guys mentioned here i.e Bo,Jim Brown,Jim Thorpe,MJ.
I agree but he should be shown some love, he was very fast and did play two sports

Bo got his love, and deservingly-so.. how many players his size can run that fast? with that kind of power? and also played two sports?

TheBonger
07-16-2007, 12:17 AM
I agree but he should be shown some love, he was very fast and did play two sports

Bo got his love, and deservingly-so.. how many players his size can run that fast? with that kind of power? and also played two sports?

he definitely should get some love but it aint going to be from me not after that little run he had with my Skins.

Metalhead
07-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Sorry for my ignorance as I'm not much of a basketball fan. But is MJ really better than Bird, Chamberlin, and Magic?

sandywh
07-16-2007, 07:29 PM
when doing a list its gotta be:
1a - Bo Jackson
1b - Jim Thorpe
1c - Jim Brown
2 - doesn't matter, the first 3 are in a league all their own

And if anyone does the stpid shit like ESPN did and puts horse in the top 10 you deserve to be run over by a horse.

teshore
07-16-2007, 08:19 PM
i read a Mayweather interview where he said Larry Holmes was the greatest HW of all time. Also im going to have to agree with everyone who is saying Jim Thorpe im going to have to agree. For those of you not familar with thorpe here is alittle excerpt from his Wikipedia page.

"Jacobus Franciscus "Jim" Thorpe (Meskwaki: Wa-Tho-Huk) (May 28, 1888–March 28, 1953[1]) was an American athlete. Considered one of the most versatile athletes in modern sports, he won Olympic gold medals in the pentathlon and decathlon, played American football collegiately and professionally, and also played professional baseball and basketball. He subsequently lost his Olympic titles when it was found he had played two seasons of minor league baseball before competing in the games (thus violating the amateur status rules)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thorpe

your right, it was holmes that he said, for some reason frazier just came to mind... sorry for the wrong information

Omoplata
07-16-2007, 08:54 PM
I didn't know he played lacrosse as well.........I obviously never saw him play, but it's hard to imagine him being better than a Jack Bionda, or the Gaits or Tavares......he could very well be though.....

http://www.lacrosse.org/museum/halloffame/view_profile.php?prof_id=35

Considered by many to be the greatest to ever play the game of lacrosse, Jim Brown began his lacrosse career at Manhasset High School in New York where his midfield play earned him All-Star honors for three years.

At Syracuse University, Brown's all-around athletic ability became evident, as he lettered in four sports and was voted the school's Athlete of the Year in 1956-57. Brown was a Second Team All-American Selection in 1956, and earned First Team Honors in 1957, finishing second in the nation in scoring his senior year. Many believe his last game was his greatest moment as a lacrosse player, as Brown scored five goals in one-half of play against the nation's top players in the 1957 Collegiate North/South All-Star game.

Brown went on to achieve great success with the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League, and was elected into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1971. Although he is best remembered for his gridiron exploits, Brown is quoted as having said, "I'd rather play lacrosse six days a week and football on the seventh."

earle
07-18-2007, 10:00 AM
While we're on the subject of boxers, what about Joe Louis? He was champ a for a long time and a hero to many people.