PDA

View Full Version : Jiu Jitsu gi

Frasedog
07-14-2007, 06:17 PM
I have been trining no gi jiu jitsu for quite some time now. I just ordered a gi as I plan on taking some gi classes. It's a Gameness, single weave. Gameness was highly recommended by the guys at my gym, and the single weave was like $90 so I bought it.
I also researched Koral, Atama, and a few others. Please share your thoughts, opinions, preferences with me, about gi's, brand, $$, longevity, etc. Thanks.

matto
07-16-2007, 02:34 AM
gi grappling is great but some submissions and moves only work with the gi on or your opponent having it on. just take what you can and dont try to use that in a fight cause ull look funny.

strife
07-16-2007, 04:07 AM
gi grappling is great but some submissions and moves only work with the gi on or your opponent having it on. just take what you can and dont try to use that in a fight cause ull look funny.

That's not what he's asking....

I personally have a gameness gi and to be honest it is decent at best. The drawstring on the pants was a fucking joke and I had to replace it on about the 3rd day training. Platinum weave may be better but I have the regular weave. My next gi will definately be Atama. Remember with anything the general rule is you always get what you pay for. You buy a cheap gi it's gonna be a cheap piece of crap with no durability. It's best to own a couple so you don't have to wash your gi all the damn time.

ccl2087
07-16-2007, 04:26 AM
i was looking into howard combat kimonos, anyone have any experience with those?

Beatts35
07-16-2007, 08:04 PM
I am in the same boat. trained all no gi and now am starting gi. i got a gameness pearl gi. figured it would be good with the hot weather.

Check out Jokerjitsu.com they guy has some very good reviews on just about every gi out there. if you can't find an answer there, when i don't know what to say.

Palma
07-17-2007, 03:33 AM
Anyone try the Addidas Gi? It looks durable and comfortable.

Ubermensch
07-17-2007, 05:12 AM
I don't like Gi's (I'm a Rashguard kinda guy) but Koral make some good ones the got rubber in the collar so the done get as torn up as most do when you are doing your chokes. Anyway go check them out.

Palma
07-17-2007, 06:58 AM
I don't like Gi's (I'm a Rashguard kinda guy) but Koral make some good ones the got rubber in the collar so the done get as torn up as most do when you are doing your chokes. Anyway go check them out.

Ohh tough guy...do you only fight naked people and guys with rashgaurds?

Ubermensch
07-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Ohh tough guy...do you only fight naked people and guys with rashgaurds?

hahaha palma stop being a Douche!! haha No I am in AZ and people here don't like to put on the AC at a Level I can handle and most of the Gi's that I have worn make me hot as hell even the single layer ones. Plus there were a lot of guys when I still trained that used rash guards or T shirts.

Frasedog
07-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Thank's for the input! Keep it coming. I have checked out jokerjiujitsu for reviews. Just wanted your feedback. In the end, I dont know how much gi I will be doing. That is why I went with the cheaper single weave. Also it will be hot and I thought it would be more comfortable. From what I've read, Koral gi's are pretty nice. If I get really into gi stuff I'll need more than one anyway.

Ezekiel
07-20-2007, 12:40 PM
I've had a Krugans gi for 2 years now, it's been really good compared to other gi's I've had. Unfortunatley it is starting to fall apart now, nothing major but still annoying... I'll definatley get a new one soon!

Noob
07-20-2007, 08:26 PM
I have an Atama gi that has served me well. I've worn it 2-3 times a week for a year and it is still holding up well. Atama doesn't make the most inexpensive gi, but they are comfortable enough and fit well imo. That being said, it's the only gi I've ever worn for any length of time so I have nothing to compare it against.

Palma
07-21-2007, 01:42 AM
I've had a Krugans gi for 2 years now, it's been really good compared to other gi's I've had. Unfortunatley it is starting to fall apart now, nothing major but still annoying... I'll definatley get a new one soon!

Good to know. I just got a Krugan (my first Gi) and it seems if anything that it is durable...

Kimuras"R"Us
07-21-2007, 10:09 PM
I wear a Gameness gi it's been about 7 months and no real signs of wear. A little pricey but worth it.

Ezekiel
07-25-2007, 04:04 PM
I wear a Gameness gi it's been about 7 months and no real signs of wear. A little pricey but worth it.

I haven't looked into the price of Gameness Gi's, but I have a training partner who bought a cheap Gameness gi because he was short on cash. And he was actully rather happy with it. I was sceptical about it and some people dissed them here earlier, but according it good. So I'd give Gameness a chance. What gi do you have? Okay, he might not be very experienced with a gi as he has trained no-gi mostly and alittle in his old Adidas judo gi :confusedsmilie:

Legend
07-25-2007, 04:10 PM
I would love to comment on this but I am still waiting on my school to get my GI. I payed for the damn thing a month ago yet I am still rolling with not gi.

methodjg
07-27-2007, 10:14 PM
atama is my favorite. i also have a vitamins and minerals gi which is nice.

Frasedog
08-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Update on my gi.

My Gameness single weave gi has been holding up just fine. It is still pretty new so I am hoping it will soften up a little. I don't wear a shirt or rashguard under the gi so It is a little rough on the skin but not too bad. I purposely shrunk it as the A3 was too long in the sleeves. Now it fits well.

Brandon
08-24-2007, 09:42 PM
I have the koral competition gi and I really like it so far.

Noob
10-06-2007, 11:06 PM
My next gi will definately be Atama. Remember with anything the general rule is you always get what you pay for. You buy a cheap gi it's gonna be a cheap piece of crap with no durability. It's best to own a couple so you don't have to wash your gi all the damn time.

I have had my Atama for more than a year now, and I would recommend it pretty highly. I bought the single weave, and it has been my only gi for close to 18 months. It has not shown any wear aside from a small catch on the collar. It is well-stitched, comfortable, durable, and looks good.

I would also put in that if you're thinking about buying a Bad Boy gi, to reconsider. Bad Boy buys a lot of their gis from Atama and just puts their patches on. So unless you just really like the Bad Boy look, Atama gis are the exact same thing and tend to be at least $50 cheaper.

Anyone try the Addidas Gi? It looks durable and comfortable.

I actually have heard only bad things about the Adidas gis. I'm not sure if it's with the whole brand, or maybe just one bad manufacturer. But I have read a number of reviews and talked to a few people that owned them and have never heard anything overly positive.

i was looking into howard combat kimonos, anyone have any experience with those?

I just ordered a Howard gi yesterday. Standard single. It will take a while to ship since I'm in Spain, but I will definitely post on what I think of it after I've used it for a while.

From what I've heard they are almost ridiculously thick. The gi pants I have heard described as being like jeans when they are wet after a long workout. The collar is like a horse collar, and the whole gi is generally hard to manipulate. I have never heard anything bad about the gis, other than some personal preferences on them being too thick. And for the price they are nearly unbeatable. For a standard single (unbleached) you're only looking at $50, and $12 to ship. That's a damned good price for a top of the line gi.

Frasedog
10-11-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm looking into buying a seccond gi. I'm constantly washing my Gameness gi because I usually train Mon/Wed, or Wed/Fri. One question for you guys. Is it a faux pas for me (a white belt) to buy a blue, black or red gi? I wouldn't think it would be but I thought I'd ask before I drop the cash.

Noob
10-11-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm looking into buying a seccond gi. I'm constantly washing my Gameness gi because I usually train Mon/Wed, or Wed/Fri. One question for you guys. Is it a faux pas for me (a white belt) to buy a blue, black or red gi? I wouldn't think it would be but I thought I'd ask before I drop the cash.

I do the same thing, that's why I ordered a Howard. It's a pain washing your gi 3-4 times a week.

And about the color, there is no universal rule. It has more to do with your school and the way they look at such things. Some schools could care less as long as your attitude is good, others insist on white gis only and no patches.

I would say to talk to your instructor or another student. It's becoming more rare anymore than anyone really cares, short of you showing up in a red gi with purple polka dots, but it's best to be safe. You don't want to be that guy that shows up in the only colored gi in the academy.

What brand gi are you going to order, out of curiosity?

Frasedog
10-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Many other students have blue gi's so I doubt it's an issue, I just havent noticed any white belts with colored gi's. Im looking at an Atama. This one in particular: http://www.atama-kimonos.com/products/roycegracie/CRW_9380_RT8-1.jpg

I like the way the patches look. They also have a blue one with embroidered USA and Brazilian flags on the shoulders.

Noob
10-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Many other students have blue gi's so I doubt it's an issue, I just havent noticed any white belts with colored gi's. Im looking at an Atama. This one in particular: http://www.atama-kimonos.com/products/roycegracie/CRW_9380_RT8-1.jpg

I like the way the patches look. They also have a blue one with embroidered USA and Brazilian flags on the shoulders.

That looks pretty good. Post here and let us know what you think of it after you've worn it for a while.

Lol, and I think I have the other gi you're looking at. Blue, with the flags on the shoulders. It's been my only gi for more than a year now, and it hasn't shown any wear. I would highly recommend it. Atama makes good stuff, though they are a little on the pricey side.

I ordered a gi about a week ago now, a Howard Combat Kimono.

http://www.howardliu.com/catalog/bjj/single.htm

Have to add some patches to it (http://www.howardliu.com/catalog/accessories/patches.htm) but it's supposed to be a damned good gi, and it only costs about $50. I will post a review once I've worn it for a while.