PDA

View Full Version : HBO Boxing thread and the Matthysee family

Afro
07-15-2007, 03:09 AM
Hope everyones watchin HBO boxing, good card tonight

Anyone hear, his whole fuckin family fights

his dad and mom were both fighters, his sisters are both pro fighters, his wife is even a damn fighter

thats crazy.

Punk Ass
07-15-2007, 03:31 AM
I wanna see Roy Jones fight :sadsmile1:

Afro
07-15-2007, 03:44 AM
I wanna see Cintron KO Matthysee again

Punk Ass
07-15-2007, 04:26 AM
Gotti is finished, but I think he would have had a chance if he started slugging from the first round.

TheBonger
07-15-2007, 04:33 AM
Margarito/Williams coming up, what does every think? I got a link to the steam btw if anyone needs it

smoogy
07-15-2007, 04:35 AM
This is on the MMATV channel on both Sopcast and TVUPlayer, for those unaware.

Afro
07-15-2007, 04:35 AM
I think Paul Williams puts the Antonio Margarito hype to rest for good

Thaistylist
07-15-2007, 04:37 AM
Good fights tonight. All very exciting.

TheBonger
07-15-2007, 04:40 AM
I think Paul Williams puts the Antonio Margarito hype to rest for good

im gonna go the other way and say Margarito wins a decisive UD.

smoogy
07-15-2007, 04:41 AM
Afro, how the hell do you have less than 1000 rep?

Afro
07-15-2007, 04:47 AM
I got 953 currently

Williams is throwin too much damn punches lol

Matt101
07-15-2007, 04:52 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L3IyNFJwxPo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L3IyNFJwxPo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

smoogy
07-15-2007, 05:02 AM
Afro: What would you say the score is? This is kind of hard to follow with the low res stream.

Afro
07-15-2007, 05:02 AM
4 rounds to zero, Paul Williams

Paul Williams is fightin like Sweet Pea mixed with Miguel Cotto tonight

smoogy
07-15-2007, 05:09 AM
I'm not sure what sweet peas have to do with it, but Williams is definitely in the zone.

I should mention, I'm only a fair weather boxing fan.

Afro
07-15-2007, 05:10 AM
he keeps duckin under margarito's punches and endin up behind him.. thats vintage sweet pea.

smoogy
07-15-2007, 05:18 AM
Geez. Williams seems have freakish speed and stamina.

Afro
07-15-2007, 05:21 AM
Margarito is wearing down big time

smoogy
07-15-2007, 05:26 AM
Yeah, it seems like Margarito is looking for one big counter-punch to save his ass.

Afro
07-15-2007, 05:33 AM
New Champion

Paul Williams is a great boxer, you go from knockin out your last 5 opponents to throwing over 1,000 punches in a fight against your toughest opponent to date.. hes shown great finese skills, and punching power.. and hes only 25 and already he has over 30 wins. Guy is gonna be a beast at WW.

smoogy
07-15-2007, 05:37 AM
Margarito acting like he didn't just get beat is fuckin gutless.

115-113 x 2 is enough of a reach.

error2k5
07-15-2007, 06:12 AM
i'm happy to see gomez finally getting on the radar.

liddell316
07-15-2007, 06:29 AM
I can't believe 2 of the judges had it close enough that if Williams would have lost the last round it would have been a draw.

Hoosier Daddy
07-15-2007, 06:48 AM
Glad the judges got the decision right. Boxing needs more cards on TV like this.

Cintron was very impressive.

I'm glad to see Arturo Gatti is smart enough to get out while the getting is good. He put on some great fights over the years.

WAR GATTI!!!!!

Salvy_Mic
07-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Although I was pulling for Margarito, I definitely feel the judges made the right call in giving Williams the nod, he fought a hell of a fight. Margarito was starting to come on strong though, but then sort of petered out a bit at the very end. So instead of Cotto/Margarito in the fall, it looks like we'll be seeing Cotto/Mosley instead, according to Arum. Not a bad consolation, really.

Glad to see Gatti have the sense to walk away while he can still talk coherently, he looked shot all night, Gomez fought a hell of a fight. I think he'll probably be a handful for most welterweights. He'll sort of be like the Jesus Chavez and/or Carlos Hernandez of that division. He could win a title, but it'll never come over elite competition.

As for Cintron, what a knockout. That was one of the knockouts of the year so far (but I think Donaire/Darchinyan still gets it, just ahead of Wilson/Nwodo).

I think there's a rematch clause for Margarito again, and I wouldnt' mind seeing it again. Maybe he'll come in with a better plan next time, because his more methodical approach let Williams outwork him. What a great fight. If that doesn't go down....Williams/Cintron anyone?

Punk Ass
07-15-2007, 03:20 PM
After seeing Cintron, with him being a great wrestler also, with a little more ground training there's no doubt he would be a very dangerous fight for Sean Sherk if Dana would have gave the nod IMO.

Thaistylist
07-15-2007, 04:57 PM
O god Harlem dont do that. I tried it once and was immediately attacked from all angles.

Also, Williams is the type of fighter I could watch all day. I love volume punchers with great boxing skill. His foot work could use some practice but in all I was very impressed.

whatsreallygood
07-15-2007, 05:04 PM
It was a very entertaining night of fights, HBO needs to have these type of tripleheaders with two main events coming from different venues. As for the fights:

Cintron looked like a total beast against Matthysee. I thought Cintron would beat him but definitely not in that fashion.

Gomez definitely set-up a fight with Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. You gotta love his interview afterwards... he looked impressive against a shot Gatti. I agree with Steward that he would of gave Gatti some problems in his prime... Gomez-Chavez, Jr. would be a great fight to make right now.

As for the main event... what an entertaining fight with two very different styles being showcased. Williams come on strong the first five rounds and depending on the judging won 1 or 2 more rounds after that. The guy absolutely has no power and does this pitter-patter bullsh*t but definitely won the fight in the 12th. With that said, I had the fight 115-114 for Williams but he didn't show me much. Margarito was starting to figure him out from the 6th round on but fought the last round like sh*t and lost because of it. This wasn't the Margarito that lost to Daniel Santos but this definitely wasn't the version of Margarito Arum has been hyping up either. This fight was close enough to demand a rematch... especially considering the champion lost in a very close fight. We all knew Paul Williams had quicker hands and that Margarito packed more power and better bodyshots. Williams did exhibit more "ring generalship", but he's clearly not this great fighter that most boxing heads are making him out to be... not even close. Anybody who watched the fight objectively knows it was a very close fight deserving of a rematch. Williams did win the rounds he won more convincingly. Almost every boxing journalist in the country had the fight near a draw.

Opinion varies on Margarito-Williams

By Kevin Iole

Sunday, Jul 15, 2007 12:03 am EDT

CARSON, Calif. - The media covering the Paul Williams-Antonio Margarito WBO welterweight title fight had a varied opinion on the outcome:

Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports: Margarito, 116-112

Tim Smith, New York Daily News: Draw, 114-114

Steve Springer, Los Angeles Times: Draw, 114-114

Bill Dwyre, Los Angeles Times: Margarito, 115-113

Steve Kim, MaxBoxing.com: Margarito, 115-113

Doug Fischer, MaxBoxing.com: Margarito, 115-113

Jerry Magee, San Diego Union-Tribune: Williams,
116-112

Robert Morales, Los Angeles Daily News: Williams,
115-113

Carlos Arias, Orange County Register: Williams,
115-113

David Avila, Riverside Press Enterprise: Draw, 114-114

Francisco Salazar, Fightnews.com: Draw, 114-114

whatsreallygood
07-15-2007, 05:08 PM
The fights that I would love to see be made right now would be:

Floyd Mayweather, Jr.-Ricky Hatton @ 140
Paul Williams-Antonio Margarito II
Shane Mosley-Miguel Cotto

Punk Ass
07-15-2007, 05:23 PM
IMO Paul Williams would outbox Cotto, Mosley, and DLH. That reach advantage is tremendous, not to mention he may be just as fast as DLH or SSM.

DeepPain
07-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Glad the judges got the decision right. Boxing needs more cards on TV like this.

Cintron was very impressive.

I'm glad to see Arturo Gatti is smart enough to get ut while the getting is good. He put on some great fights over the years.

WAR GATTI!!!!!

Gatti needed to get out about 5 years ago. He slurs his speech and there seems to be neurological damage to his facial muscles.

I was surprised he went down after receiving many many shots to his head. That was his trademark; hit and be hit again and again.