PDA

View Full Version : Roy Jones wins!!

Punk Ass
07-14-2007, 11:54 PM
12 round dec. victory. War RJJ!

Did anyone see this fight? I didn't.

Omoplata
07-14-2007, 11:59 PM
No I missed it! Im glad to hear hes back to his winning ways. RJJ RULES, AGAIN!

Battlecage Xtreme
07-15-2007, 12:02 AM
I watched the Gatti fight and unfortunatly we had to see Gatti retire.

liddell316
07-15-2007, 12:27 AM
I saw some of the Jones Jr. fight and it seemed to me like he just coasted to a decision. He got a knock down late, but other then a slow first 2 rounds he pretty much controlled every round and landed more straight rights then I could remember. Spent a lot of time on the ropes...seemed like an alright victory for him, but I can't see him making a comeback big enough to ever win a major title again.

stonedface
07-15-2007, 01:10 AM
did he even fight a decent fighter?

Punk Ass
07-15-2007, 01:34 AM
did he even fight a decent fighter?

Well the guy he fought was 21 and 0 with 14 by KO, so he's no can.

Noise Chopped
07-15-2007, 06:52 AM
I, for one, am not impressed. I did like Roy way back when, though. Cool guy.

sabreclaww
07-15-2007, 07:29 AM
what has happened to him? you watch any of the old fights (*well, most of them) and you see such RAW talent like the boxing world NEEDS right now. Then, he decided to jump weight classes like a game of frogger, and that seemed to signal the end of what looked to be a Rocky movie type career!! THOUGHTS?

Punk Ass
07-15-2007, 09:13 AM
Well between jumping weights, and age, it took it's toll on reflexes and energy at the time IMO.

The begining of the end happend when he decided to lose all that muscle to come back down to LHW from HW after beating Ruiz. He just wasn't himself when he fought Tarver and really isn't himself now, not to mention he's 36 or 37 years old.

I think his age really shows now, and his chin isn't as study after sauffering those KOs, but when you see him fight he is still something to admire because of skill. And he's my favorite fighter.

matto
07-15-2007, 07:38 PM
yes!!! that is great, if only gatti could have won as well. i was really pulling for him in the mayweather fight. dont like floyds personality, he has to be beaten before he retires.

Atnan
07-19-2007, 08:58 PM
rjj is a huge risk, tiny reward boxer right now.....theirs no point in title holder facing him...

Salvy_Mic
07-20-2007, 11:21 PM
You think so, Atnan? Personally, I think Chad Dawson would waste him and Antonio Tarver.

Atnan
07-21-2007, 01:58 AM
You think so, Atnan? Personally, I think Chad Dawson would waste him and Antonio Tarver.

i know so my dude.....iam not saying chad or tarver wouldnt waste him again...but honestly whats the point....the public thinks rjj is a washed up steroid addict bum....what would a win over him do???? a lost would ruin ur career i would think and boast rjj....honestly from a bussiness stand point - id let rjj die off and retire- he 3 chances to come back and he got pwned all 3 times in my eyes! if i was an up and commer i would jump at the chance to fight rjj just to test myself out- and if you win- you could say you beat hall of famer, lol

Dork8503
07-21-2007, 03:17 AM
i know so my dude.....iam not saying chad or tarver wouldnt waste him again...but honestly whats the point....the public thinks rjj is a washed up steroid addict bum....what would a win over him do???? a lost would ruin ur career i would think and boast rjj....honestly from a bussiness stand point - id let rjj die off and retire- he 3 chances to come back and he got pwned all 3 times in my eyes! if i was an up and commer i would jump at the chance to fight rjj just to test myself out- and if you win- you could say you beat hall of famer, lol

WOW such hate for Roy. The sad thing is Roy at this age still has more talent then most of the boxers today.

I think Roy at mw would still be hard to beat. He still has the speed an power. To be honest i dont think anyone at mw can beat Roy, i would bet anything that he would beat the shit out of Taylor.

bugsy n
07-21-2007, 03:35 AM
good ....boxing is so dead that you never know if roy can win a last belt before retire ...it could be awsome

Punk Ass
07-21-2007, 08:10 AM
the last thing dead is the MW division, what the hell are you talking about? I can tell you don't watch boxing much.

Salvy_Mic
07-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah seriously, the upcoming Taylor/Pavlik fight is the biggest middleweight fight since 2005, when Taylor and Winky Wright fought each other to a draw (didn't see that fight, so I can't say who I think won and who I think deserved to win). There's still Edison Miranda, Arthur Abraham, and Felix Sturm in the middleweight division, so its definitely competitive and quality, if not star-studded. The real star-studded divisions are welterweight and super featherweight.

I think the only person really willing to fight Roy Jones is Bernard Hopkins, who has wanted a rematch for at least the last 10 years. But as Larry Merchant would probably say, "Bernard Hopkins has aged like wine....Roy Jones Jr. has aged like milk."

Atnan
07-22-2007, 12:48 AM
Yeah seriously, the upcoming Taylor/Pavlik fight is the biggest middleweight fight since 2005, when Taylor and Winky Wright fought each other to a draw (didn't see that fight, so I can't say who I think won and who I think deserved to win). There's still Edison Miranda, Arthur Abraham, and Felix Sturm in the middleweight division, so its definitely competitive and quality, if not star-studded. The real star-studded divisions are welterweight and super featherweight.

I think the only person really willing to fight Roy Jones is Bernard Hopkins, who has wanted a rematch for at least the last 10 years. But as Larry Merchant would probably say, "Bernard Hopkins has aged like wine....Roy Jones Jr. has aged like milk."

yes sir....btw i dont hate rjj....iam just saying it how it is...the dude is probably going to become the most ducked fighter this year...like i said- VERY VERY LOW REWARD, EXTREMELY HIGH RISK!

Salvy_Mic
07-22-2007, 11:08 AM
But RJJ is not risky at this point in his career. Just because he looked pretty good against a smaller, inexperienced guy like Anthony Hanshaw does not make Roy Jones risky. Seriously, I bet real studs like Chad Dawson or Mikkel Kessler would absolutely jump at the chance to add Jones' scalp to their collection at this point in his career. Hopkins has a spot for it already. And you know Calzaghe wouldn't mind that scalp either. Let's see if Jones can rematch and beat Glen Johnson, or beat Clinton Woods or Julio Gonzalez, all of whom would love to fight Jones now and who are all significantly better than Hanshaw or Badi Ajamu.

Atnan
07-22-2007, 11:46 AM
But RJJ is not risky at this point in his career. Just because he looked pretty good against a smaller, inexperienced guy like Anthony Hanshaw does not make Roy Jones risky. Seriously, I bet real studs like Chad Dawson or Mikkel Kessler would absolutely jump at the chance to add Jones' scalp to their collection at this point in his career. Hopkins has a spot for it already. And you know Calzaghe wouldn't mind that scalp either. Let's see if Jones can rematch and beat Glen Johnson, or beat Clinton Woods or Julio Gonzalez, all of whom would love to fight Jones now and who are all significantly better than Hanshaw or Badi Ajamu.

rjj is risky...he still seems to have some left in this fight- i mean hanshaw didnt land one significant punch- i doubt rjj trained his ass off for this fight either....i do agree that chad and kessler would jump at the chance, but iam sure they wont walk thru em....calzaghe is the true champ right now- aint no one fucking with him....we could only wait and see

Salvy_Mic
07-22-2007, 05:02 PM
There's a difference between having some fight left against an untested prospect, and being competitive with the current elite at either 168 or 175. Just like the current Holyfield comeback, until both old-timers start beating some guys that most people view as legit contenders, I think they'd be better off on the links, smoking cigars and reminiscing on how they were once the Kings of Boxing. Otherwise, they end up as just another name on the victory ledger of a talented younger, stronger, faster, and hungrier boxer eager to join the ranks of boxing stardom.

Atnan
07-23-2007, 01:09 AM
There's a difference between having some fight left against an untested prospect, and being competitive with the current elite at either 168 or 175. Just like the current Holyfield comeback, until both old-timers start beating some guys that most people view as legit contenders, I think they'd be better off on the links, smoking cigars and reminiscing on how they were once the Kings of Boxing. Otherwise, they end up as just another name on the victory ledger of a talented younger, stronger, faster, and hungrier boxer eager to join the ranks of boxing stardom.

i agree but in the case of rjj....iam seeing the same dude that once kicked everyone ass....i dont see THAT much of a difference in his fighting now compared to two years ago....the dude is no pushover- i bet he could easily go for 6-7 rounds without any rigorous training!