PDA

View Full Version : Lions make Redding Highest paid DT!!

TheBonger
07-17-2007, 12:47 AM
wow and you guys thought Freeney was getting overpaid, The Lions gave this guy a 7year 49 mil contract and he has only played DT for one year! So he is now the highest paid DT in the league, wow someone needs to fire Matt Millen yesterday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2938519

Afro
07-17-2007, 01:03 AM
Matt Millen is horrible, Cory Redding is nothing more then an undertackle that really is just a rotation player and you make him the highest paid DT? thats blasphemy.

TheBonger
07-17-2007, 01:15 AM
it boggles my mind that Matt Millen is still running that team, I mean what in the hell? He most have something incriminating on the Ford family cause fuck, this guy has continue too make blunder after blunder and the coaches are the ones who get fired for it!! I think Redding has alot of potential but fuck the guys career numbers for a 4 year career are as follows 57 games started, 128 Total tackles, 12.0 sacks and 4 force fumbles, now does that really seem like a player who should be the top paid at his position? I just dont know what the fuck his line of thinking could have been, take that money and go sign some fucking decent free agents.

Afro
07-17-2007, 01:17 AM
To Redding's credit, he did have a nice season with 8 sacks last year, and he isnt bad against the run but overall you can find a ton of players like him.. hell its so easy to mold a undertackle into a sack machine.. look at what the Raiders did with Tommy Kelly at UT he was undrafted!

Redding isnt scaring anyone on the DL, and thats what the UT position is about.. just ask Warren Sapp.

But to Millen's defense, they did get the best player in the whole fuckin draft and got rid of that fat ass Mike Williams and added Tatum Bell to there backfield.

TheBonger
07-17-2007, 01:26 AM
To Redding's credit, he did have a nice season with 8 sacks last year, and he isnt bad against the run but overall you can find a ton of players like him.. hell its so easy to mold a undertackle into a sack machine.. look at what the Raiders did with Tommy Kelly at UT he was undrafted!

Redding isnt scaring anyone on the DL, and thats what the UT position is about.. just ask Warren Sapp.

But to Millen's defense, they did get the best player in the whole fuckin draft and got rid of that fat ass Mike Williams and added Tatum Bell to there backfield.

its good to get the best player in the draft it really is BUT when you have taken WR after WR and your OL continues too look like theres does then you have a problem. I mean picking the best available on the board is solid but at what point do you start focusing on actual team needs? They could have done much better then Tatum Bell as far as adding a RB, i mean McGahee, J.Lewis, L.Betts, Thomas Jones all changed teams except for Betts who resigned with the Skins but he was a UFA. How about Jon Kitna as your fucking QB i mean he is a solid backup at the point but too be a starter on a successful team he is going to need ALOT around him. They did get rid of Mike Williams but they also drafted him in the Top 10 what two years ago? Also just for alittle perspective the two players taken directly after M.Williams in the draft were Demarcus Ware and Shawn Merriman.

Afro
07-17-2007, 01:32 AM
Calvin Johnson makes up for the bad draft picks they made in the past, and I dont believe in taking for need.. the Lions wont get a quick fix on the OL even if they draft an OL this year, they would still suck.. so take the best player available and continue to build for the future.. cuz when you do get an OL you'll be protecting for a QB thats throwing to one of the best WRs in the league.. you just dont pass up on Calvin when youve only won 2 games to take need.. not that kinda talent.

TheBonger
07-17-2007, 01:53 AM
Calvin Johnson makes up for the bad draft picks they made in the past, and I dont believe in taking for need.. the Lions wont get a quick fix on the OL even if they draft an OL this year, they would still suck.. so take the best player available and continue to build for the future.. cuz when you do get an OL you'll be protecting for a QB thats throwing to one of the best WRs in the league.. you just dont pass up on Calvin when youve only won 2 games to take need.. not that kinda talent.

When your are that bad as you say I just cant see drafting a player who's position is probably the strongest on your team. If they are not comfortable taking someone else with that pick, I think they have to trade out of it. Being stacked at WR and shitty everywhere else isnt going to help much.

Afro
07-17-2007, 02:00 AM
When your are that bad as you say I just cant see drafting a player who's position is probably the strongest on your team. If they are not comfortable taking someone else with that pick, I think they have to trade out of it. Being stacked at WR and shitty everywhere else isnt going to help much.
When its Calvin Johnson you can make an exception, I wanted the Raiders to draft CJ and they had Moss and Porter... I think shitty teams should build through the best players in the draft, I think people forget that theres more then 1 round in the draft.. unless you got some studs at that position why not draft the best player in the draft if you need that position? then go after your needs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, then next year you can draft all needs if you wish.. it doesnt make sense to me, and I dont see why teams should care.. if you know your 2-3 years away from contention.. get the best player in the draft! just be sure you have that team ready for the playoffs in due time.

The Lions needed a franchise player, someone to fill seats, someone to post up on billboards, someone to really be the centerpiece of that team and they got it!

thus why the Raiders really only had 3 options.. J Russell, Calvin Johnson, or Adrian Peterson.. bad teams need franchise players.

Just remember, the Chargers need a QB a couple years back.. instead they traded down.. the Falcons ended up with Vick, and the Chargers got LT and Shawne Merriman with the extra draft pick they got from trading down. So I dont always believe in drafting for need, I favor drafting the best player even though LT wasnt as highly regarded coming out of college.. whos gonna argue that he wasnt the best player in that draft right?

TheBonger
07-17-2007, 02:09 AM
Just remember, the Chargers need a QB a couple years back.. instead they traded down.. the Falcons ended up with Vick, and the Chargers got LT and Shawne Merriman with the extra draft pick they got from trading down. So I dont always believe in drafting for need, I favor drafting the best player even though LT wasnt as highly regarded coming out of college.. whos gonna argue that he wasnt the best player in that draft right?

i think this statement supports my position more then it does yours. There is no if,ands or buts about it Vick was THE player leading up to the draft. He was the most talked about, most touted, most everything draft pick that year. The Chargers who where really bad(they needed more then just a QB)couldnt help so that used all the buzz around Vick too trade down and as you have pointed out look how it worked out for them. Eventhough the Lions didnt have the 1 pick when CJ fell too three you know there where quite a few teams trying there ass off too move up. CJ is much more comparable too Vick as far as draft status goes, LT was clearly the top RB but i don't remember ANYONE touting him as the best player in the draft.

Afro
07-17-2007, 02:12 AM
Its a crapshoot either way is what im saying

TheBonger
07-17-2007, 02:16 AM
Its a crapshoot either way is what im saying

this is true. but when a team is as bad as the lions have been for as long as they have been, i think the best thing too do is stockpile draft picks and rebuild through the draft. Just a matter of opinion, eventhough the lions like better on paper I still dont see them winning more 5-6 games and thats being nice.

MichaelK
07-18-2007, 11:59 PM

I'm sorry, but Millen get's NO credit for adding Bell. Give the Bronco's GM credit for adding Bly and getting rid of another product of the Denver System. See also: Mike Anderson and Reuben Droughns. Fuck, throw Ron Dayne in as the starting back and he'll rush for 1,100 a year, too!

MichaelK
07-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Sorry, I just learned that Dayne hasn't been in Denver for a bit, now.

Fuck it, throw in Clarett.

Wait, what?

matto
07-23-2007, 07:00 AM
the lions are just imbarrassing here in michigan, the wings are always a good hockey team, the pistons are great, the tigers have the best record in the league and will win the world series this year, and the lions? well they suck and always haved sucked, millen has got to go. but at least they now have calvin johnson although they will still have a horrible season this year.