PDA

View Full Version : Cael Sanderson greatest college wrestler of all time.

Dork8503
07-20-2007, 06:04 AM
I was just reading about college wrestlers an things because Afro well now Black Man talked about Greg Jones so i wanted to see who really was the best.

Cael Sanderson is the best.

High School Record
4x State Champion record of 127-3

College Record
4x NCAA Champion record of 159-0

2004 Olympic Gold Medalist

Silver in 2003 World Championships

2003-04 Manitoba Open champion

2000 University World champion

2004 U.S. Olympic Team Trials champion
2001-03 World Team Trials champion
2001-03 U.S. Nationals champion
2000 South Olympic Regional Trials champion
1999 University Nationals champion

1999 South Korea National Invitation Tournament champion...

Not sure about this but have no reason to doubt it

3x National Freestyle Champion 01-03

So he might be one of the best wrestlers of all time, idk but he is the only person in history to be a 4x undefeated NCAA champ also to win the Gold

Noob
07-20-2007, 06:08 AM
Why isn't he doing MMA?

And I'm a wrestling retard so forgive me if this question is simplistic, but is he primarily a Greco or Freestyle wrestler?

JoeKickAss
07-20-2007, 06:33 AM
Why isn't he doing MMA?

And I'm a wrestling retard so forgive me if this question is simplistic, but is he primarily a Greco or Freestyle wrestler?

Freestyle. He's also the head coach of the Iowa St. wrestling team.

neonatural45
07-20-2007, 06:35 AM
UNDEFEATED IN COLLEGE????? wow that is very impressive

Palma
07-20-2007, 06:36 AM
Freestyle. He's also the head coach of the Iowa St. wrestling team.

He was a collegiate wrestler not Freestyle. Why isn't this in the grappling forum Dork?

neonatural45
07-20-2007, 06:38 AM
Yah we have to give some life to the grapplin forum

Palma
07-20-2007, 06:38 AM
Yah we have to give some life to the grapplin forum

and how...

Dork8503
07-20-2007, 06:39 AM
He was a collegiate wrestler not Freestyle. Why isn't this in the grappling forum Dork?

cuz i put it here until i want to move it.

He was a collegiate wrestler but at the same time he was a national freestyle champ too.

If he came to mma he would imo by far be the best wrestler in mma.

The guy is a man beast

JoeKickAss
07-20-2007, 06:39 AM

He won his olympic medal in freestyle wrestling.

Palma
07-20-2007, 06:42 AM
cuz i put it here until i want to move it.

He was a collegiate wrestler but at the same time he was a national freestyle champ too.

If he came to mma he would imo by far be the best wrestler in mma.

The guy is a man beast

Yeah, but the grappling fans want to get that forum going, so pretty please my hetero life partner giveth to the grappling forum.

He also was a beast at Greco but he is most famous for his college record and not his freestyle. All wrestlers on that level do alll three forms of wreestling.

He won his olympic medal in freestyle wrestling.

Not to discount the olympics but he is the only 4 time NCAA wrestler with an undefeated record. He is not famous for winning the olympics as much as what he did in college.

neonatural45
07-20-2007, 06:47 AM
Im still amazed that he could go undefeated throughout college. Is he the only one to ever do that?

Dork8503
07-20-2007, 06:53 AM
Im still amazed that he could go undefeated throughout college. Is he the only one to ever do that?

Yes he is.

If you look at what he has done he has one of the greatest list of accomplishments. He is great.

Palma
07-20-2007, 06:54 AM

Yes... and Pat Smith was the only other 4X Division I NCAA national champ.

Here is a great article I found one time about the best college wrestlers of all time:

INDIANAPOLIS---In honor of the 75th Anniversary of the NCAA Wrestling Championships, the NCAA announced its 75th Anniversary Wrestling Team today at Union Station in St. Louis in conjunction with the Division I Wrestling Championships.

A panel of collegiate wrestling experts compiled a list of 45 former wrestlers in three divisions, lightweight, middleweight and heavyweight to be nominated for the 75th Anniversary Team. Fans from across the nation then voted on-line and the top five vote getters in each category were named to the 15-member team.

In the lightweight division, the winners were Fresno State’s Stephen Abas, Iowa’s Tom Brands, Iowa State’s Dan Gable as well as Oklahoma State’s John Smith and Yojiro Uetake Obata.

Abas was a three-time NCAA Champion during his career which spanned from 1998-2002 while compiling a 103-2 record with 46 pins. Brands was a three-time NCAA Champion with an overall record of 158-7-2 and 46 falls as a Hawkeye from 1989-92. Gable, the top vote getter of the 15-member team, was a two-time NCAA Champion, compiling a record of 96-1 with 72 pins while wrestling from 1968-70. Smith also was a two-time NCAA Champion, racking up a 157-7-2 record with 40 falls during his collegiate career from 1984-88. Obata went undefeated throughout his collegiate career with a perfect 57-0 record while winning three NCAA titles from 1964-66.

In the middleweight division, the team members were Wisconsin’s Lee Kemp, Iowa’s Lincoln McIlravy, Clarion’s Wade Schalles, Oklahoma State’s Pat Smith and Iowa’s Joe Williams.
Kemp tallied 143 wins en route to three NCAA titles as a Badger from 1975-78. McIlravy was also a three-time NCAA Champion during 1993-97 while compiling a 96-3 record. Schalles pinned 106 opponents during his career from 1971-74 in which he won two national titles and went 153-5-1. Smith was the first four-time NCAA Champion while wrestling from 1990-94 and putting together a 121-5-2 record. Williams was a three-time NCAA champion from 1994-98 while compiling a record of 129-9.

In the heavyweight division, the five honorees were Clarion’s Kurt Angle, Iowa’s Ed Banach, Pittsburgh-Johnstown’s Carlton Haselrig, Oklahoma’s Dan Hodge and Iowa State’s Cael Sanderson.

Angle was a two-time NCAA Champion while at Clarion, posting a 116-10-2 record for his collegiate career. Banach reached the finals of the NCAA Championships all four years and managed three NCAA titles, finishing his Iowa career with 141 wins and 73 falls. Haselrig won three NCAA Championships at both the Division I and Division II level for Pittsburgh-Johnstown, becoming the only wrestler in NCAA history to do so on his way to a 143-3-1 record for his career. Hodge never lost in his collegiate career posting 46 wins, 36 by fall, on his way to three NCAA titles. Sanderson is the only four-time undefeated NCAA Champion in history, putting together a streak of 159 wins without a loss.

http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/media_and_events/press_room/2005/march/20050318_75thannivwrestlingteam.html

The Natural994
07-20-2007, 06:54 AM

Yes.

The Natural994
07-20-2007, 07:03 AM
Yes... and Pat Smith was the only other 4X Division I NCAA national champ.

Here is a great article I found one time about the best college wrestlers of all time:

http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/media_and_events/press_room/2005/march/20050318_75thannivwrestlingteam.html

Now how the hell is Greg Jones not on that list??

* One of 39 3-time NCAA champions
* One of 20 wrestlers to win titles at two different weights
* One of 10 wrestlers to win a national title as a freshman
* 126-4 career record
* Those 4 losses were to Otto Olson of Michigan(9-8), Ralph Everett(3-2 t.b.) and Rashad Evans (3-2). The fourth loss was a forfeit.
* West Virginia's all-time wins leader
* Undefeated his junior and senior years
* Ended career with a 51-match win streak
* 4-time Eastern Wrestling League (EWL) champion
* First EWL wrestler to be named Most Outstanding Wrestler at the NCAA tournament
* Was taken down just ten times in his career
* Outscored opponents 298-82 his senior year
* Voted 2004 West Virginia Amateur Athlete of the Year
* 17-2 record in 4 NCAA tournaments
* Member of the Eastern Wrestling League and NWCA All-Academic Teams

per wikipedia*

Worth noting...Kos and GJ tied up Kos's senior year when he was defending his national title....Kos though missed the ENTIRE year and came back just for the national tournament and at the EWL finals GJ beat him in OT. It was a classic....

Also...Kind of surprises me Rashad Evans beat him...Rashad was by no means an "elite" collegiate wrestler imo.

Dork8503
07-20-2007, 07:07 AM

* 126-4 career record
* Those 4 losses were to Otto Olson of Michigan(9-8), Ralph Everett(3-2 t.b.) and Rashad Evans (3-2). The fourth loss was a forfeit.
* First EWL wrestler to be named Most Outstanding Wrestler at the NCAA tournament

per wikipedia*

Good point.

Cael is the best though.

Palma
07-20-2007, 07:08 AM

* 126-4 career record

per wikipedia*

Greg Jones is great (and I am not defending the list- especially since I didn't compile it) but he is more famous to the people who haven't been following wrestling for the past 20 years or to people who don't follow college wrestling at all. He is great but not the best of all time. If he would have at least placed his freshman year at nationals then I would say he should be up there, but one out of 39 doesn't mean his in the top five ever.

The Natural994
07-20-2007, 07:13 AM
Greg Jones is great (and I am not defending the list- especially since I didn't compile it) but he is more famous to the people who haven't been following wrestling for the past 20 years or to people who don't follow college wrestling at all. He is great but not the best of all time. If he would have at least placed his freshman year at nationals then I would say he should be up there, but one out of 39 doesn't mean his in the top five ever.

Problem is two things. He didn't to a renowned wrestling school and he hasn't accomplished anything after wrestling which I kind of get a vibe that list is going off of.

His collegiate resume is deserving of that list. It's stronger than SEVERAL of the people on there....

Palma
07-20-2007, 07:17 AM
Problem is two things. He didn't to a renowned wrestling school and he hasn't accomplished anything after wrestling which I kind of get a vibe that list is going off of.

His collegiate resume is deserving of that list. It's stronger than SEVERAL of the people on there....

You can't just say Greg Jones is more deserving then Pat Smith, Joe Williams, Schalles, Lee Kemp, and Mcilravy. Do you even know who these guys are?

The Natural994
07-20-2007, 07:27 AM
You can't just say Greg Jones is more deserving then Pat Smith, Joe Williams, Schalles, Lee Kemp, Mcilravy. Do you even know who these guys are?

Out of everyone on that list he could replace Joe Williams...He is on that list for where he went to school and having the shit he did post college factored in... I'm not saying he wasn't GREAT in college but what he did in college doesn't quite stack up to Jones.. Collegiately Jones' resume stacks up better than Williams. Winning 3 national titles in two different weight classes is insane!!! OW of the tournament too!! I mean c'mon...These "lists" are always biased. He's just on the short end of the stick.

Same thing with Abas...Jone's COLLEGIATE resume is just as strong. The bottomg line the EWL doesn't get the recognition and Jones didn't continue wrestling after college....Therefore he's off the list.

Taking nothing away from Abas of course...He is one of my all time favs...

Just for arguments sake...GJ's resume is sick. It should be up here....

Palma
07-20-2007, 07:30 AM
Out of everyone on that list he could replace Joe Williams...He is on that list for where he went to school and having the shit he did post college factored in... I'm not saying he wasn't GREAT in college but what he did in college doesn't quite stack up to Jones.. Collegiately Jones' resume stacks up better than Williams. Winning 3 national titles in two different weight classes is insane!!! OW of the tournament too!! I mean c'mon...These "lists" are always biased. He's just on the short end of the stick.

Same thing with Abas...Jone's COLLEGIATE resume is just as strong. The bottomg line the EWL doesn't get the recognition and Jones didn't continue wrestling after college....Therefore he's off the list.

You did not just compare Greg Jones to Stephen Abas. Now your just being crazy.

And how can you say these lists are always biased? I search for all kinds of shit about college wrestling and this is the only list I have ever seen like this so what other lists do you have?

The Natural994
07-20-2007, 07:33 AM
You did not just compare Greg Jones to Stephen Abas. Now your just being crazy.

LoL you must be a west coast guy....

Abas was a force...Fun to watch. One of my ALL time favs.

Same thing Greg Jones though in my opinion. Abas won slightly more convincingly...but the results are the same in the end... I REALLY wonder wtf happened to Jones ?!?!

I think he could have been great in MMA or even attempted to qualify for the Olympics....

The Natural994
07-20-2007, 07:35 AM
And how can you say these lists are always biased? I search for all kinds of shit about college wrestling and this is the only list I have ever seen like this so what other lists do you have?

Not JUST exclusive to wrestling lists.

Any list for any sport achievements are always weighted higher to things accomplished in the past. "The Good Ole Days" are always viewed with more mystique. Atheltic accomplishments are like fine wine and get better with age in any sport.

Palma
07-20-2007, 07:38 AM
LoL you must be a west coast guy....

Abas was a force...Fun to watch. One of my ALL time favs.

Same thing Greg Jones though in my opinion. Abas won slightly more convincingly...but the results are the same in the end... I REALLY wonder wtf happened to Jones ?!?!

I think he could have been great in MMA or even attempted to qualify for the Olympics....

Abas >>> Jones. I am from the same leauge (bay area) as Abas, but that's not why he is better. To tell you the truth, Abas wasn't even the best wrestler from our area until he went to college. He was second of third best.

And Joe Williams is more deserving because not only is he a three time national champ but he placed 2nd the year he wasn't champ and Jones got knocked out of the first round by Rashad. That is why he isn't on there. Everyone else is a 4 time all american and Jones is not. If Koscheck was healthy that year Jones may not have even been a three time National Champ.

Jones was great, but if you are going just off records alone then even Greg Jones is not one of the top 5 wrestlers of all time.

The Natural994
07-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Abas >>> Jones. I am from the same leauge (bay area) as Abas, but that's not why he is better. To tell you the truth, Abas wasn't even the best wrestler from our area until he went to college. He was second of third best.

And Joe Williams is more deserving because not only is he a three time national champ but he placed 2nd the year he wasn't champ and Jones got knocked out of the first round by Rashad. That is why he isn't on there. Everyone else is a 4 time all american and Jones is not. If Koscheck was healthy that year Jones may not have even been a three time National Champ.

Jones was great, but if you are going just off records alone then even Greg Jones is not one of the top 5 wrestlers of all time.

Good point. I totally forgot his only two losses at nationals were in the same freaking year!! Otto and FUCKING RASHAD EVANS. His sophomore year. Touche on that point....I can't argue with that...

But, I guess Aside from that blemish...and you hitting my weak spot with Kos being in baaaad shape going into nationals his senior year..and taking it in my opinion if he would have been healthy....because he barely freaking beat Kos at the EWL's....Anways....

I'm still going to hold firm that the past is always given toooooooo much respect and that winning titles in two different weight classes is a HUGE accomplishment. He's certainly deserving on an honorable mention....

FUCK though...Rashad sucked.

Jones had to be hurt his soph year...I'm going to research that...

Palma
07-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Good point. I totally forgot his only two losses at nationals were in the same freaking year!! Otto and FUCKING RASHAD EVANS. His sophomore year. Touche on that point....I can't argue with that...

But, I guess Aside from that blemish...and you hitting my weak spot with Kos being in baaaad shape going into nationals his senior year..and taking it in my opinion if he would have been healthy....because he barely freaking beat Kos at the EWL's....Anways....

I'm still going to hold firm that the past is always given toooooooo much respect and that winning titles in two different weight classes is a HUGE accomplishment. He's certainly deserving on an honorable mention....

FUCK though...Rashad sucked.

Jones had to be hurt his soph year...I'm going to research that...

Post it on a new thread in the grappling forum. I don't think he was hurt. I remember reading that Rashad just really overpowered him; if you can believe that.

We should also do our own top 5 list or top 10 for P4P wrestlers considering entire careers (High School through the Olympics).

Dork8503
07-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Post it on a new thread in the grappling forum. I don't think he was hurt. I remember reading that Rashad just really overpowered him; if you can believe that.

We should also do our own top 5 list or top 10 for P4P wrestlers considering entire careers (High School through the Olympics).

I dont know a whole lot about wrestling just most of my friends wrestled threw highschool and college so i watched alot of it.

I would say Cael is 1 on that list but maybe im stupid but his records speak for them selfs.

The Natural994
07-20-2007, 03:01 PM

Well it looks like he just flat out lost...Everett knocked him out. Damn, that really surprises me. For some reason I totally forgot.

The Natural994
07-20-2007, 03:04 PM
I dont know a whole lot about wrestling just most of my friends wrestled threw highschool and college so i watched alot of it.

I would say Cael is 1 on that list but maybe im stupid but his records speak for them selfs.

Its not even close. I wish I could explain how unbelievable that is to non-wrestling people.... Div I Wrestling is such a grind on the body and mind and there are so many injuries and your mental toughness has to be right for every match...There are just so many variables in wrestling its unbelievable he never lost...I mean there are so many upsets every year and the competition is so tough ... I truly don't think it will ever be done in my lifetime again.

azfightfan
09-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Had the opportunity to watch Abas his senior yr at nationals and wow, he appeared to just goof off or get lazy and still beat everyone easily. My dad hadn't seen him before and didn't believe me when I pointed Abas out durin his first match because he looked like crap on only beat the guy by a very small margin; I think about 2-3points while he just basically did nothing holding onto the lead. It was frustrating and amazing a guy of his caliber would wrestle like that. A Div. 1 wrestler friend of mine said he did this all the time and that he wouldn't even hardly warm up for his matches.