PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre NBA Trade

TheBonger
07-20-2007, 05:34 PM
ok maybe someone who is alittle more into the NBA can explain this too me,
the suns just traded Kurt Thomas and there 2008,2010 first rd draft picks too the Sonics for .................................................. .... a conditional second rd pick in 09??? What?!?!?!?! If I were a Suns fan I would be PISSED, so basically they are paying Seattle two first rders too take Thomas off there hands? I realize they have salary cap issues and were inline for a large luxury tax but come on they just mortgaged the teams future for what? Unless they plan on using this $8million trade exception too get KG this is a total loss, one of the worst deals I have seen in quite a while.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2943588

NinjaShogunRua
07-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Mainly it was a cost cutting move to free up some cap room. As the article says, the Suns have the 4th highest payroll. Also Thomas isn't getting any younger at 35, and his 4.6 points a game were nearly 6 points less than his career average. It was actually a good move for the Suns.

TheBonger
07-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Mainly it was a cost cutting move to free up some cap room. As the article says, the Suns have the 4th highest payroll. Also Thomas isn't getting any younger at 35, and his 4.6 points a game were nearly 6 points less than his career average. It was actually a good move for the Suns.

A good move? trading away two First round picks too drop alittle salary?

NinjaShogunRua
07-20-2007, 06:24 PM
A good move? trading away two First round picks too drop alittle salary?

late 1st rounders(which is what the picks will be) aren't worth as much as say a 1st round pick in the NBA draft. You can get just as good value, for much cheaper, in the 2nd round. So yes, for the Suns it works out, for another team that was trying to rebuild it may not have as much value.

TheBonger
07-20-2007, 06:50 PM
late 1st rounders(which is what the picks will be) aren't worth as much as say a 1st round pick in the NBA draft. You can get just as good value, for much cheaper, in the 2nd round. So yes, for the Suns it works out, for another team that was trying to rebuild it may not have as much value.

Its pretty safe too assume that the 08 pick will not be a lottery pick but the 2010? That very well could be a lottery pick, the suns window is limited and IMO if they wanted to use picks too improve that is one thing but just too GIVE them away too save money on a luxury tax is bullshit. I would figure the importance of draft picks is much greater in the NBA where there are only 2 rds per draft, so basically they gave away atleast 50% of 2 of there next four drafts for what? IMO this is a move that suns fans will look back on in 5-10 years and think wow that really fucked us.

Afro
07-20-2007, 07:43 PM
This is a good move, its the NBA lol and the suns need to make cost cutting moves if they want to keep Marion, if they lose Marion there done for.. end of story so yes, this is a good move.

CM PO
07-20-2007, 07:55 PM
Welcome to the NBA. Owners sacrifice winning it all to stay near the top and make money(thus being a salary dump move). How important was Kurt Thomas against the Spurs? If u saw it, he was was important to what they did the first 4 games and could have won that series if not for suspensions. Now without em, the chance of gettin pastin the Spurs lessens. But the owner saves money so hes happy not winning a trophy.

Afro
07-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Welcome to the NBA. Owners sacrifice winning it all to stay near the top and make money(thus being a salary dump move). How important was Kurt Thomas against the Spurs? If u saw it, he was was important to what they did the first 4 games and could have won that series if not for suspensions. Now without em, the chance of gettin pastin the Spurs lessens. But the owner saves money so hes happy not winning a trophy.
The Suns got Grant Hill right? there in danger of losing Marion.. you cant replace Marion with Grant Hill!

What would happen to that team if Marion is gone, Kurt Thomas may of been important.. but Marion is 100 x more important, Amare is injury prone.. you know hes got chronic knees, Grant Hill is old and injury prone, who did they draft again? you dump salary.. keep Marion, and your lookin at a strong chance of the finals.. you lose Marion, you wont even sniff the finals.

CM PO
07-20-2007, 08:08 PM
^^^see what im talkin bout. How would u lose Marion? U can pay em the same money hes makin now and keep em as well as payin every1 else. But the luxury tax is the problem. No1 wants to pay it. So u run the risk of losin Marion cuz of the Owners own selfish greed of wanting to save money and NOT payin the luxury tax. KG aint a Sun right now cuz of this. 26.5 million dollar salary next year if he got traded. Owner said NO TOO MUCH!! It should be about winning the title not "well lets see save some money and be competitive instead of payin a dollar on the dollar for goin over the tax cuz its not worth winning the title."

Hill will be used prolly as a Point Froward(similar to Diaw since they play pretty alike) cuz ALANDO TUCKER(sleeper!!!!!) got signed 2 fast for 2 much money not to be in the rotation.

Marion disappears when needed. How truly valuable is he?

TheBonger
07-20-2007, 08:10 PM
This is a good move, its the NBA lol and the suns need to make cost cutting moves if they want to keep Marion, if they lose Marion there done for.. end of story so yes, this is a good move.

so you mortgage your future? I understand the need too make cost cutting moves but too give up TWO first rd draft picks too do it seems pretty stupid too me. I dont really are about K.Thomas and while he provide very good depth for the Suns especially in Amare's absence, but basically paying someone two draft picks too take a player of your hands that just seems pretty far out there.

Pho wants to win now so they have mortgaged there future but if they are so committed too winning right now and dont give a flying fuck about the future they should have made the move for KG. This is just stupid.

CM PO
07-20-2007, 08:22 PM
so you mortgage your future? I understand the need too make cost cutting moves but too give up TWO first rd draft picks too do it seems pretty stupid too me. I dont really are about K.Thomas and while he provide very good depth for the Suns especially in Amare's absence, but basically paying someone two draft picks too take a player of your hands that just seems pretty far out there.

Pho wants to win now so they have mortgaged there future but if they are so committed too winning right now and dont give a flying fuck about the future they should have made the move for KG. This is just stupid.

They have been doin that the past what 5 drafts. Its nothing new.

yup look

2004 NBA Draft, July 12
Player College Round Pick
Luol Deng* Duke 1 7

* Traded to Chicago for rights to Jackson Vroman, cash and a future first round pick.

2005 NBA Draft, June 28
Nate Robinson* Washington 1 21
Marcin Gortat Poland 2 57

* Traded to New York with Quentin Richardson and future considerations for Kurt Thomas and the draft rights to Dijon Thompson

2006 NBA Draft, June 28
Rajon Rondo* Kentucky 1 21
Sergio Rodríguez ** Spain 1 27

* to Boston Celtics via Los Angeles Lakers
** to Portland Trail Blazers

and this past draft Rudy Fernandez to Portland for 3 Million

now 08 makes it 5 drafts inna row they traded a 1st round pick

Afro
07-20-2007, 08:45 PM
^^^see what im talkin bout. How would u lose Marion? U can pay em the same money hes makin now and keep em as well as payin every1 else. But the luxury tax is the problem. No1 wants to pay it. So u run the risk of losin Marion cuz of the Owners own selfish greed of wanting to save money and NOT payin the luxury tax. KG aint a Sun right now cuz of this. 26.5 million dollar salary next year if he got traded. Owner said NO TOO MUCH!! It should be about winning the title not "well lets see save some money and be competitive instead of payin a dollar on the dollar for goin over the tax cuz its not worth winning the title."

Hill will be used prolly as a Point Froward(similar to Diaw since they play pretty alike) cuz ALANDO TUCKER(sleeper!!!!!) got signed 2 fast for 2 much money not to be in the rotation.

Marion disappears when needed. How truly valuable is he?
Marion is the 2nd most valuable player on the suns roster, hands down. Amare is too inury prone, Grant Hill is too injury prone and old, the Suns needs a better bench period.. and they were NOT going to keep Marion with the cap they had currently I can guarantee you that, im not disagreeing that the owners are greedy.. im just saying they needed to dump anyways. Plus, they had 2 first round picks this season hell.. im still willing to bet they lose Marion regardless of all the dumping lol all im saying is if they wanted to keep Marion, they had to dump.. and keeping Marion is vital.. and yes they are greedy, thus why they need to dump the cash.. thus why the need the extra space to retain Marion, thus why this is a good move for them cuz Marion >>>> Kurt Thomas and low first round picks! end of story! You gonna tell me that the likelyhood of the Suns finding a gem in the lower end of the first round that fits there offense is high enough that they cant afford to lose those picks? I dont see it.. the Suns arent built like that.

TheBonger
07-20-2007, 08:52 PM
the way they are going, I find it funny that you guys keep insisting that they will be low first rd picks. Anyways im not too familar with the NBA's processes for cutting salary but if it is such a common practice to give away first rd picks just too dump salary, could i get a few previous examples?

Afro
07-20-2007, 08:55 PM
the way they are going, I find it funny that you guys keep insisting that they will be low first rd picks. Anyways im not too familar with the NBA's processes for cutting salary but if it is such a common practice to give away first rd picks just too dump salary, could i get a few previous examples?
of course there gonna be low first round picks, the Suns wont be missin the playoffs for years to come

stonedface
07-20-2007, 09:08 PM
maybe there owner is stoned like i am lol but look at the 49ers and cowboys cap problems ruined them for years and now they are finally recovering suns are still a good team but the salary cap can mess with anyteam dishing out high dollars

CM PO
07-20-2007, 09:08 PM
check my post at the top of the page. Suns have done it the past 5 years.

TheBonger
07-22-2007, 02:54 PM
of course there gonna be low first round picks, the Suns wont be missin the playoffs for years to come

lol, so you ready to guarentee me that the Suns will be a playoff team for the 2009-2010 season? Damn your must be physic.