PDA

View Full Version : BJ Penn's next fight.

standnxplode
07-21-2007, 02:57 AM
Hi!, new here, been reading the forum for awhile and finally decided to post my first.

I came just as the steroid scandal hit Sherk and Franca after thier LW bout there in 73.

Now that Sherk's banned for a year any thoughts on his replacement to fight BJ for the ( now vacant ) UFC LW title?

neonatural45
07-21-2007, 03:22 AM
welcome to the site

personally I think that the next lightweight fights are key to see who deserves to fight Penn (Aurelio vs Guida, Daddy vs Batman, and Din vs Spencer)

The UFC has not released any info (that I know of) regarding his next opponent

standnxplode
07-21-2007, 05:22 AM
Joe Stevenson's the most common sense pick imo, if he beats Batman, if he loses I'd say Batman goes in.

Florian's another obvious choice for the fact that he's on the win streak again after his lost to Sherk. He had quite an impressive win against a pretty good fighter Alvin Robinson in 73.

matto
07-21-2007, 05:26 AM
Joe Stevenson's the most common sense pick imo, if he beats Batman, if he loses I'd say Batman goes in.

Florian's another obvious choice for the fact that he's on the win streak again after his lost to Sherk. He had quite an impressive win against a pretty good fighter Alvin Robinson in 73.

yes florian has been impressive, eaither one of them would lose but stevenson vs. bj would be great.

Submissionist
07-21-2007, 05:44 AM
neither deserves a titleshot and besides BJ would school both of them..... at the same time :beatup:

Palma
07-21-2007, 05:55 AM
neither deserves a titleshot and besides BJ would school both of them..... at the same time :beatup:

I agree, I have a feeling that they will bring in someone good from Pride. I don't see why only the heavier weights would get Pride talent comming in and not the LW division.

neonatural45
07-21-2007, 06:04 AM
The problem isnt that Daddy, Din, Aurelio, Spencer etc arnet qualified enough to fight Penn, becuase they could put the fight together and it would sell well, its just that Penn is on a different Level then them and it would get boring watching Penn defend his title without any challenges, unless penn underestimates one of them and gets KTFO GSP style (which isnt that far fetched)

matto
07-21-2007, 06:14 AM
The problem isnt that Daddy, Din, Aurelio, Spencer etc arnet qualified enough to fight Penn, becuase they could put the fight together and it would sell well, its just that Penn is on a different Level then them and it would get boring watching Penn defend his title without any challenges, unless penn underestimates one of them and gets KTFO GSP style (which isnt that far fetched)

agree, its just that they arent on the level of penn, and nobody from pride is on the level with penn but would probably make for a better fight and sell more.

standnxplode
07-21-2007, 06:25 AM
Agreed, there's no one in the UFC LW's that can beat BJ right now, especially with Sherk out of action. Everyone was looking forward so badly to that fight.

Could be BJ's the Anderson Silva of the LW's in the UFC. I mean who's close, Joe "Daddy", KenFlo, Huerta ?

moisty
07-21-2007, 01:36 PM
If Joe Daddy wins its gotta be him. Although id love to see the UFC sign Gomi and put them against Penn right away

SolidSnake3
07-22-2007, 05:21 AM
Although he is just having his UFC debut, Aurelio if he wins I would like to get a shot. Probably not the most deserving person, but regardless would be an awesome fight.

jjqmkq
07-23-2007, 02:13 AM
Seriuosly can anyone beat BJ at 155? I seriously don;t think anyone mentioned here can win,....puchers chance yes,...but my money goes with BJ at this weight,...he looked ridiculous against Jens, he DOMINATED. Seems like this is the best weight for him anyways,...he looked too fat for 165. Wasn't a BJ fan until after his 2nd fight with Hughes and looked solid again vs Jens.

No real competition for him at 155,....right?

JPeezy
07-24-2007, 04:17 AM
I think BJ Penn should fight Carl Uno... to a draw.... and then the LW division in the UFC should be dismantled...... again :ahh:

(sarcasm)

CEVANS
07-24-2007, 05:34 PM
he looked awsome vs jens if that bj comes in to the cage no one will touch him at 155

redhwan
07-24-2007, 05:48 PM
Can B.J. please beat a Top 10 Lightweight before we say he is the best? Yes he is awesome, but he has yet to beat a Top 10 Lightweight in years. Can he at least win the title before we crown him the number one Lightweight in the world?

Gmunit
07-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Can B.J. please beat a Top 10 Lightweight before we say he is the best? Yes he is awesome, but he has yet to beat a Top 10 Lightweight in years. Can he at least win the title before we crown him the number one Lightweight in the world?

he owned Hughes in both their matchups, aside from the 3rd round when the fight was stopped, he fought GSP to a close decision (an arguable, by most people's standards), and they are 1 + 2 in the weight above, also he beat the #1 Lightweight in the World in Gomi

why does he need the title to be #1 in the weightclass? (see: Shogun Rua)

Tommy88
07-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Suppose to be sherk but....due to the recent bad news its not him any more. Hopefully he fights matt hughes again in a rubber match.

the dazzle
07-25-2007, 06:29 AM
do you guys think there is any chance for a LW tournament? I know that would make my day!

Gmunit
07-25-2007, 02:13 PM
do you guys think there is any chance for a LW tournament? I know that would make my day!

Dana has said he doesn't like the tournament idea, hopefully he changes his mind, he may not have much of a choice

methodjg
07-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Penn vs. Yamamoto at 155