PDA

View Full Version : Need Perspective: How Great is Buakaw Por. Pramuk?

Severn
07-21-2007, 06:09 AM
I don't know much about K-1 but MMA has exposed me to more types of martial arts. I keep hearing about this guy, see sigs of him here and I'm very curious. I've done some searching and found a wiki entry and some incredibly sick youtube clips of Buakaw Por. Pramuk but just want to hear from people who have seen him and followed him, how great is he?

Thanks in advance.

valheruking
07-21-2007, 06:55 AM
lol damn, where to start,

Severn
07-21-2007, 07:28 AM
Damn, rep'd.

Man, Buakaw sure couldn't catch a break from the Japanese judges. He was so awesome that they changed the rules. That's saying a lot.

valheruking
07-21-2007, 07:48 AM
Haha its true, he's paid his dues though and they love him over there now.

standnxplode
07-21-2007, 08:30 AM
Amazing thai-boxer.

twankydawg
07-27-2007, 02:10 AM
lol damn, where to start, well i should say that the guy has 410 fights and has never been ko'd, now that might sound made up and Rickson-like but he does have about 40 losses too, mainly when he was starting out.

If you're wondering how he has so many fights, thai fighters start at a very young age, Buakaw himself started fighting at the age of 8, and they start to compete professionally in their teens, the result of this is Thai fighters retiring at an early age such as 30.

Buakaw has won many titles, he was both the featherweight and lightweight champion of Thailand, which speaks for itself seeing as how Thailand is the home of Muay Thai, he was the Lumpini stadium champion, which is a significant and respected title to win. More recentley hes known as the only 2 time K1-Max champ, losing in the final in a close decision to Andy Souwer, meaning he has been to the final 3/3 times and has won 2/3 times, a great accomplishment.

As for his actual fighting, damn hes good lol, near when he started out in k1, knees from the clinch were freely allowed and you could clinch your opponent and wait for the chance to knee, when these rules were available Buakaw fought Kohiriumaki who was a greatly loved fighter in Japan and there 2nd best one in k1, well Buakaw proceeded to knee poor Kohi to death from the clinch and won by ko (didnt answer 10 count after knee to body), and so the Japanese decided it was time to update the rules of k1 (convieniently) so as to have the referee break the clinch after a short a mount of time, it was painfully obvious why as a meeting between Buakaw and the k1 golden boy and hero of Japan Masato was inevitable, and a dead Masato wouldnt have been to good for publicity and ticket sales, eventually when they did meet Buakaw put on a clinic with his legs, never allowing Masato to even get into the fight as he kicked him from distance and made Masato look pretty damn amateurish (considering he was a k1 max champ), but despite this beating the japanese judges saw a draw when it came to a decision (convieniently) and the fight went another round, needless to say Buakaw dominated and the judges couldnt pretend they saw something else anymore and thus Buakaw won.

The next important fight Buakaw would have would be against Andy Souwer, a shootboxer and k1 max champ himself having recieved a (controversial) decision win against Buakaw. Being a shootboxer Souwer has great hands and another victory was predicted by the media for Souwer as a great boxer can put off a Muay Thai fighter as they are more suited to coming in close and unloading combos, this was apparantly Buakaws weakness, but when the fight happened Buakaw showed the results of intensive boxing training and proceeded to knock Souwer down twice and eventually ko him using his hands. Buakaw would meet another shootboxer named Shisido, and ko him in 15 seconds, using his hands.

The point of bringing up the above is to try to show how Buakaw is a rally adaptable fighter who, even when he is limited by the rules etc, he can still win by playing by rules that are set out and can adjust his style to suit his opponent. He is a very good fighter and altough hes not unbeatable, its going to be a hard to find someone who will be able to take his place at the top.

Great summary, I had been wondering the same thing about that guy in your sig.

valheruking
07-27-2007, 02:20 AM
Haha thanks man, no problem.

NinjaShogunRua
07-27-2007, 04:28 AM
In short, he's the shit! He has a little brother on the rise too. So, look out.

nickolar
07-27-2007, 01:04 PM
์์No he've never been the lumpinee champion. He was the No. 2 Lumpinee before focusing on K1. But the champ at that time is his teammate, if my memory was not wrong.

valheruking
07-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Yeah you are right he came second, i must have got confused when i was writing and wrote Lumpini stadium champion when i was thinking of the Toyota marathon.
Thanks for letting me know, i didnt even notice my mistake and i read it 3 times lol.