PDA

View Full Version : The Natural vs The Executioner

eazye76
07-22-2007, 11:09 PM
I was one of the 30 or so people who voted for Bernard Hopkins over Randy Couture. Randy is amazing, and continues to impress me every time he fights, but I am personally more impressed by Bernard. They have both been champs in their careers, and both been great in their 40's. What it came down to for me is - who has had the most impressive moment. In my opinion, Hopkins knocking out De la Hoya w/ the body shot was cooler than the Couture/Sylvia. Nothing against Randy, I've just been a huge boxing fan for years.
Both guys are great, it's an interesting question. What do you guys think?

Salvy_Mic
07-22-2007, 11:58 PM
Okay, by the title of the thread, I though you were asking who would win in an actual fight, to which the obvious answer is Randy. Even if Hopkins was an MMA expert, he's still about 50 lbs. lighter than Randy anyway.

But since you're asking about who's had the more impressive career in light of their respective sports, as well as the most impressive moment, I think Bernard may just nip Randy by the smallest of margins. No one has been on top as long as Hopkins has through his career and dominated as many top notch guys as he got older. In fact, all of Hopkins' signature wins came when he was past the age of 38 (Trinidad, de la Hoya, Tarver, and now Wright). While Randy's had his golden year moments (Liddell, Ortiz, Belfort, and Sylvia), he's also had unquestionable losses in the same time period. Hopkins' losses to Taylor were all highly controversial that many argue should have been wins for B-Hop. Randy's losses to Chuck were by KO. But there is no one asides from these two who consistently put the smackdown on guys much younger than themselves, and to these two fighting masters, I have only the deepest and most profound respect.

Afro
07-23-2007, 02:08 AM
I believe its a lot harder to beat Winky in Boxing then it would be to beat Tim Sylvia in MMA, or maybe even Antonio Tarver so Ya I would say B Hop is more impressive.

eazye76
07-23-2007, 02:40 AM
As much as I like MMA, I think boxing is the more impressive sport. I don't think that it is as unpredictable as MMA, and I feel it's more scientific. I woud like to get some feedback from some Couture people, but as loved as Randy is I'm sure it's coming.

Atnan
07-23-2007, 08:07 AM
if randy beats gonzaga, crocop or nog and somehow beats fedor.....no one in the history of sports will be able to touch him - let alone bhop

eazye76
07-23-2007, 04:03 PM
if randy beats gonzaga, crocop or nog and somehow beats fedor.....no one in the history of sports will be able to touch him - let alone bhop
I will agree with you when Randy wins a Tour de France or at least an NBA Finals MVP. lol

Atnan
07-23-2007, 08:15 PM
I will agree with you when Randy wins a Tour de France or at least an NBA Finals MVP. lol

fedor >>> tour de france + nba finals mvp

eazye76
07-23-2007, 08:26 PM
HaHa - Fedor > A French guy in a speedo, on a bike.

TheBonger
07-23-2007, 09:32 PM
I believe its a lot harder to beat Winky in Boxing then it would be to beat Tim Sylvia in MMA, or maybe even Antonio Tarver so Ya I would say B Hop is more impressive.

in general Yes, but in the situation i would say NO. Let B-Hop fight a guy that has 11 in of reach, 40-50 lbs and 7 in of height over him, then you can make that comparsion.

I would say Randy just because Im alot more of a MMA fan, but its really close and both guys are obviously legends of their respective sports.

Punk Ass
07-24-2007, 12:08 AM
in general Yes, but in the situation i would say NO. Let B-Hop fight a guy that has 11 in of reach, 40-50 lbs and 7 in of height over him, then you can make that comparsion.

I would say Randy just because Im alot more of a MMA fan, but its really close and both guys are obviously legends of their respective sports.

Good point but look at overall skill of both. Wayyy more harder for a P4P boxer to beat one of the P4P best boxers than it is for a guy who probably way below amature stiking skill wise to beat another way below amature striker.

Winky is a grandmaster at his craft; so is B Hop, that makes for a chess match, where as it's not that hard at all to hit Tim, reach or not if he can't use his height to his advantage. JMO.

Afro
07-24-2007, 02:06 AM

Im sorry but, Winky brings more to the table then 11 in reach, 7 in of height, and 40-50 lbs

Atnan
07-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Im sorry but, Winky brings more to the table then 11 in reach, 7 in of height, and 40-50 lbs

yea he bring ABSOLUTE NO POWER....whens the last time the dude knocked someone out...lol

eazye76
07-24-2007, 07:08 PM
yea he bring ABSOLUTE NO POWER....whens the last time the dude knocked someone out...lol
There are two sides to that statement. It has been a minute since he's won with a knockout... But he does has knocked out 25 guys in his career. I see what your saying, and I guess technically your right, but boxing is not about power and knockouts as much as it's about skill and precision. And let's not forget how hard it is to knock Winky out.

Atnan
07-25-2007, 07:12 PM
There are two sides to that statement. It has been a minute since he's won with a knockout... But he does has knocked out 25 guys in his career. I see what your saying, and I guess technically your right, but boxing is not about power and knockouts as much as it's about skill and precision. And let's not forget how hard it is to knock Winky out.

if winky opens up- he will get knocked out!

vasquez had a easy time knocking him the hell off his feet with ease!