PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Make Polamalu Highest Paid Safety

JoeKickAss
07-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2946532&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

The Pittsburgh Steelers, the first NFL team to sign all of its rookies, opened training camp with a bang Monday by reaching a four-year contract extension with safety Troy Polamalu.

Polamalu became the league's highest-paid safety by agreeing to a deal that will pay him $33 million through the 2011 season, which will allow the 26-year-old to be in line for another long-term contract in his early 30s.

Polamalu was scheduled to become a free agent after the 2007 season. He will receive $15.375 million in both guarantees and roster bonuses.

With Polamalu slated to make around $2.85 million this season, the extension will net him slightly more than $30 million over the ensuing four years. From the Steelers' standpoint, they will keep one of the best safeties and one of the best playmakers in the league under contract for $6.6 million per year until 2011.

Re-signing Polamalu was one of the keys to the season. The fifth-year safety is ranked among the best at his position in football for range and play-making ability. In four seasons, he has 301 tackles and 10 interceptions, but few safeties do what Polamalu can do.

He's a tireless runner. Often, Polamalu will run from his position to the line of scrimmage and then run all the way back to his safety spot to confuse quarterbacks. When the ball is in the air, few safeties can move as quickly as Polamalu to be in position to make a play.

Polamalu, a first-round pick of the Steelers in 2003 out of USC, has missed only three games (all in 2006) in four seasons. As a rookie, he quickly established himself as one of the best defensive players in the league.

"Troy Polamalu is a very special football player who has been a key ingredient to our success over the past few seasons," Steelers president Art Rooney II said. "We are excited to know he will be a Steeler for many seasons to come."

With Polamalu signed, the Steelers still have to decide what to do with linebacker Clark Haggans, right tackle Max Starks, guard Kendall Simmons and fullback Dan Kreider -- starters whose contracts expire at the end of the season. Pittsburgh already has determined it will lose guard Alan Faneca, a Pro Bowl player waiting to cash in on a $7 million-a-year contract. Faneca is a free agent after this season.

Afro
07-24-2007, 01:12 AM
I guess the new thing in the NFL is to make the overrated players of the league the highest paid ones as well

eazye76
07-24-2007, 04:12 PM
I guess the new thing in the NFL is to make the overrated players of the league the highest paid ones as well
Polamalu has been a great player, with the exception of last year. That's what doesn't make sense to me, he had a down year last year and they are still paying crazy $. With DB's like him and Nate Clements getting that kind of cash what happens when Ed Reid's contract time comes.
By the way, I read an article somewhere that Julius Peppers is about to get a new deal that is as big, or bigger than the Manning contract - just a rumor though.

Severn
07-24-2007, 04:48 PM
As a life long, diehard Steeler fan I'm glad they spent the money on him. Mike Tomlin's upcoming hybrid defense needs Troy to be the key to his new system. I'm glad he's in there for a few more years.

JPeezy
07-28-2007, 01:33 AM
I'd love to hear how Polamalu is over-rated??? He is the best Safety in football near the LOS, a terror when he blitzes, outstanding vs the run, and very good in coverage. He had 1 bad game last yr due to injuries and is a perennial Pro Bowler...

stonedface
07-29-2007, 02:31 AM
its never good to have the highest paid player at any position just means your paying to much

Kimuras"R"Us
07-29-2007, 02:37 AM

This coming from a guy who LOVES Sean Taylor.
haha I remember like a year ago we had a convo afro on who the top safeties were and you were hatin on polamalu then too.

As for him having a bad year last year few people outside of Pittsburgh know Troy played the whole season completely banged up. He'll be back to his old self this year, especially in Tomlin's D.

Afro
07-29-2007, 03:01 AM
This coming from a guy who LOVES Sean Taylor.
haha I remember like a year ago we had a convo afro on who the top safeties were and you were hatin on polamalu then too.

As for him having a bad year last year few people outside of Pittsburgh know Troy played the whole season completely banged up. He'll be back to his old self this year, especially in Tomlin's D.
I like Sean Taylor, but Sean had a bad season last year too.. I can admit that.. Sean Taylor is highly talented, full of potential.. but he isnt the best Safety in the league. Troy Polamalu isnt either.. and Troy is overrated, he is a liability in coverage.

Thaistylist
07-29-2007, 03:20 AM
polamalu is flashy but nowhere near the best safeties in the league. Ed Reed, Brian Dawkins, and Adrian Wilson are all better IMO. I would say Polamalu is on the same level as Sean Taylor, Kerry Rhodes, and Chris Hope but probably below them due to his lack of tackles/cover ability.

edit* I hope I dont get flamed by steelers fans for this analysis but I will be happy to back up my conclusions with stats.

Afro
07-29-2007, 03:23 AM
polamalu is flashy but nowhere near the best safeties in the league. Ed Reed, Brian Dawkins, and Adrian Wilson are all better IMO. I would say Polamalu is on the same level as Sean Taylor, Kerry Rhodes, and Chris Hope but probably below them due to his lack of tackles/cover ability.

edit* I hope I dont get flamed by steelers fans for this analysis but I will be happy to back up my conclusions with stats.
So right, he misses too many tackles, overshoots too many plays, and should not be trusted for over the top coverage.. hes a headhunter and he makes a lot of plays but technically he is poor.

calibeck
07-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Don't know where you get that tackling bs because even though he was injured last season he was still one of the better tacklers in a top ten ranked defense. Whats more we had no DBs I've never like Deshea and Ike Taylor definitely had a bad year.

Sean Taylors more likely to get kicked out of a game than make any real impact and I can't remember the last time he got an interception.

I would definitely put Troy under Ed Reed in Safety play for #1 and #2. The guy absoultely pivotal in the most well schemed 3-4 defense.

All that being said keep in mind I'm a Steelers fanboy or nuthugger whatevery you want to call it

Thaistylist
07-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Don't know where you get that tackling bs because even though he was injured last season he was still one of the better tacklers in a top ten ranked defense. Whats more we had no DBs I've never like Deshea and Ike Taylor definitely had a bad year.

Sean Taylors more likely to get kicked out of a game than make any real impact and I can't remember the last time he got an interception.

I would definitely put Troy under Ed Reed in Safety play for #1 and #2. The guy absoultely pivotal in the most well schemed 3-4 defense.

All that being said keep in mind I'm a Steelers fanboy or nuthugger whatevery you want to call it

So his wopping 76 tackles and 3 interceptions make up for his numerous lapses in coverage and so on? Sean Taylor had 111 tackles last year. Chris Hope had 121 and 5, Adrian Wilson has been one of the most consistent defenders in the NFL all while playing in one of the leagues worst defenses. I might give you Polamalu over Rhodes but his 98 tackles, 5 sacks, and 4 ints look an awful lot like Polamalus 04 campaign.

calibeck
07-29-2007, 08:05 PM
So his wopping 76 tackles and 3 interceptions make up for his numerous lapses in coverage and so on? Sean Taylor had 111 tackles last year. Chris Hope had 121 and 5, Adrian Wilson has been one of the most consistent defenders in the NFL all while playing in one of the leagues worst defenses. I might give you Polamalu over Rhodes but his 98 tackles, 5 sacks, and 4 ints look an awful lot like Polamalus 04 campaign.

I'd love to argue with you, but honestly you're right. I really just had a moment of sever fan-boy-itis. Only thing I can really say is that the Steelers particular style of 3-4 is predicated on havoc and confusion by the offense and Troy is pretty much the center cog in the whole deal.

I think the way it is, is that Troy has immense value to the Steelers, but his value would'nt be quite the same to another team. I mean look at what the Steelers did to the colts that Super Bowl year.

I think it runs in to that question of when you say MVP. Are we talking about the most valuable player to the league or to a particular team. In this case I would say its either Casey Hampton or Troy that would be the MVPs for the zone blitz scheme we run.

Thaistylist
07-29-2007, 09:03 PM
I'm in no way discounting his big play ability or crazy athleticism. In fact, I believe his numbers may have tailed off due to coaches gameplanning around him. But I admire your fanship as I would argue with anyone that Myron Rolle is the best safety in college strictly because I am an FSU fan.

Kimuras"R"Us
07-30-2007, 02:06 AM
I'd love to argue with you, but honestly you're right. I really just had a moment of sever fan-boy-itis. Only thing I can really say is that the Steelers particular style of 3-4 is predicated on havoc and confusion by the offense and Troy is pretty much the center cog in the whole deal.

I think the way it is, is that Troy has immense value to the Steelers, but his value would'nt be quite the same to another team. I mean look at what the Steelers did to the colts that Super Bowl year.

I think it runs in to that question of when you say MVP. Are we talking about the most valuable player to the league or to a particular team. In this case I would say its either Casey Hampton or Troy that would be the MVPs for the zone blitz scheme we run.

This is pretty much dead on. He's worth that contract to the Steelers without a doubt. He was built for the Steelers D.

Afro
07-30-2007, 02:08 AM
I'm in no way discounting his big play ability or crazy athleticism. In fact, I believe his numbers may have tailed off due to coaches gameplanning around him. But I admire your fanship as I would argue with anyone that Myron Rolle is the best safety in college strictly because I am an FSU fan.
You know damn well Kenny Phillips is

TheBonger
07-30-2007, 02:16 AM

Phillips is nasty, personally I like Zbikowski at ND that guy is just a stud and I love the big hitters. But Kenny is a FS and Zbi is a SS so kinda hard too compare, those two would make a dynamite combo.

Thaistylist
07-30-2007, 07:35 AM

The funny thing is I almost wrote that he was better than Kenny Philips just to get at you. IMO Philips is the best FS and Rolle is the best SS. Rolle is the man, he is a solid player, never lets up big plays, tackles well, and is an ambassador for the university. How many Glocks does Philips have? Most likely more than Rolle's Gpa which hovers around a 4.

Afro
07-31-2007, 04:25 PM
Kenny Phillips made the All-Academic team did he not?

Thaistylist
07-31-2007, 05:00 PM
Rhodes Scholar/Future Brain Surgeon > Academic All-American

Bottom line Philips had 71, 6 tfl, 4 ints as a soph. Rolle had 77, a sack, 6 tfl, and one int as a freshman and thats with him hardly playing in the first two games of the year. Philips missed 2 or 3 games too tho right? Either way I think as safeties go it is Rolle, Philips, Taylor Mays, Zbibi then a huge drop off.

Afro
07-31-2007, 05:03 PM
Kelin Johnson >>> Zbi if u ask me, ND fans hate Zbi and rightfully so.

Thaistylist
07-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Haven't seen much of Georgia. But I think Zbibi is a solid SS and a good return man.

TheBonger
07-31-2007, 08:01 PM
Kelin Johnson >>> Zbi if u ask me, ND fans hate Zbi and rightfully so.

pretty bold statement, all ND fans hate him or just the ones that you know? Because all the ND fans that I know which is only about 5 or 6, love the guy. Typically the big hitters get shown love.

Afro
07-31-2007, 09:29 PM
pretty bold statement, all ND fans hate him or just the ones that you know? Because all the ND fans that I know which is only about 5 or 6, love the guy. Typically the big hitters get shown love.
All ND fans cuz I obviously know all of them

TheBonger
07-31-2007, 10:07 PM
All ND fans cuz I obviously know all of them

lol, so you obviously don't have some type of creditable source or knowledge too back up the statement that ND fans hate Zbi?

Afro
07-31-2007, 10:52 PM
lol, so you obviously don't have some type of creditable source or knowledge too back up the statement that ND fans hate Zbi?
are you serious?

TheBonger
07-31-2007, 11:00 PM
are you serious?

lol, Miami fans hate Kenny Phillips. I know a couple that do, so that make it true?