PDA

View Full Version : Could of been "Greatest" players whose careers were cut short

Afro
07-24-2007, 01:37 AM
Sterling Sharpe and Bo Jackson come to mind

jesusatemyhotdog
07-24-2007, 01:52 AM
Bobby Orr

Mac
07-24-2007, 02:08 AM
Michael Vick!

JoeKickAss
07-24-2007, 05:52 AM
Len Bias

Thaistylist
07-24-2007, 05:53 AM
Ted Williams, dude fought in two wars and still hit that many HRs.

Also, Peter Warrick's career was cut short by a misdiagnosed knee injury. How does a surgeon mistake a hairline fracture for a torn acl?

Kimuras"R"Us
07-24-2007, 06:21 AM
Definitely Bo Jackson, and Griffey's stats would be even more ridiculous now if he wasn't hurt for three straight years.

Nice to have you back to Afro.

Spain215
07-24-2007, 07:05 AM
Tommy Frazier

kickass32
07-24-2007, 08:24 AM
I don't know about "coulda been the greatest" But Eric Lindros had all the tools to be one of the best ever.....amazing size, great hands, nice shot, decent set up guy.....certainly hall of fame material, until.....Enter Scott Stevens!

SimpleJack
07-24-2007, 03:31 PM
TERRELL DAVIS
GRANT HILL
Larry Johnson (Most people don't know about his back problems)
Gerald McClelland (Made me almost cry)
Frank Mir??????? (Just a thought)
Riddick Bowe (Sad what has come of him)

Imagine if Ali would have fought during the years of banishment.

Gmunit
07-24-2007, 03:32 PM
I don't know about "coulda been the greatest" But Eric Lindros had all the tools to be one of the best ever.....amazing size, great hands, nice shot, decent set up guy.....certainly hall of fame material, until.....Enter Scott Stevens!

also, maybe not "greatest" but Paul Kariya enter Gary Suter

EDIT:

GRANT HILL

good one

eazye76
07-24-2007, 04:24 PM
How about Francisco Liriano, the pitcher from the twins. Kid was great and blew his elbow out. Also Rick Ankiel, he was the Cardinals ace back in 99-2000 or so. He had HUGE upside, but one day lost his control. It got to the point where he was lucky to hit the backstop. Not really the biggest names, by the time I saw this thread everybody was taken.
By the way, what ever happened to Eric Gagne? Havn't heard anything about him since he got hurt.

Severn
07-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Bo Jackson immedietly comes to mind.

As a curveball I'll throw in Jim Brown's name. He quit the NFL in his PRIME.

jesusatemyhotdog
07-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Bo Jackson immedietly comes to mind.

As a curveball I'll throw in Jim Brown's name. He quit the NFL in his PRIME.

He is still acknowledged as the greatest to play the game, though. He is also regarded as the best U.S. college lacrosse player in history. Many people say he was even better at lacrosse than football

jesusatemyhotdog
07-24-2007, 04:34 PM
How about Francisco Liriano, the pitcher from the twins. Kid was great and blew his elbow out. Also Rick Ankiel, he was the Cardinals ace back in 99-2000 or so. He had HUGE upside, but one day lost his control. It got to the point where he was lucky to hit the backstop. Not really the biggest names, by the time I saw this thread everybody was taken.
By the way, what ever happened to Eric Gagne? Havn't heard anything about him since he got hurt.

Ankiel is now in the Card's minors system as a position player. He is doing quite well last I heard.

Gagne is with the Rangers, he got roughed up last night. Three runs in one inning of work.

kickass32
07-24-2007, 04:39 PM

He's pitching in Texas now..................

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6342

Check out his stats........14 saves this year.....

Mac
07-24-2007, 04:40 PM
Liriano isn't done yet, he's only 21 or 22 and will be back next year.

Rick Ankiel was a good one, he was the top pitching prospect in all of baseball at one point. He has actually made the transition to center field quite nicely. He is leading AAA in homeruns and would have been called up when Edmonds went down but he is out of options. He will be in the majors by September though.

Eric Gagne is closing for the Rangers and is a hot topic of trade rumors.

Edit:
Grant Hill was a good one so was Jim Brown and I'll also say Barry Sanders, he quit when he was 30, I know he still had a great career, but he retired cause he didn't want to hold records and still be a loser.

Severn
07-24-2007, 04:44 PM
He is still acknowledged as the greatest to play the game, though. He is also regarded as the best U.S. college lacrosse player in history. Many people say he was even better at lacrosse than football

Too true but just wanted to throw that out there.

SimpleJack
07-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Ahhh but he was awesome in Mars Attacks.....

Thaistylist
07-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Ankiel is second in the minors to Craig Brazell with 27.

eazye76
07-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Liriano isn't done yet, he's only 21 or 22 and will be back next year.

Rick Ankiel was a good one, he was the top pitching prospect in all of baseball at one point. He has actually made the transition to center field quite nicely. He is leading AAA in homeruns and would have been called up when Edmonds went down but he is out of options. He will be in the majors by September though.

I was hesitant to put Liriano on the list. I know he will be back, but I wonder how good he will be. He was as good, or better than Santana when he was healthy, then he had all the arm problems (He heard popping in his elbow at one point).
As for Ankiel, I saw him pitch in Johnson City for the Cards Rookie league team after he lost control. There are always reports of him getting back into the majors, but at this point I'll belive it when I see it.
How about Mark Prior and Kerry Wood?

TheBonger
07-24-2007, 08:33 PM
gotta put my boy Joe Theismann in there, he had really just came into his own for the last 4 seasons or so. With 2 super bowl appearances and 1 title already in the decade, who knows what a Theismann lead Skins could have done through the '80s and early 90's. (They won two more SB's without him) Also the way Joe's career was cut short has too be one of the most brutal incidents in the history of MNF, and the NFL.

Metalhead
07-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Mario Lemeuix could have (probably would have) broken many of Gretzky's records had he not had cancer and a bad back. This guy retired, went in the hall of fame, and came out of retirement and still dominated.

Mac
07-24-2007, 11:26 PM
Ankiel is second in the minors to Craig Brazell with 27.
My bad, I hadn't checked the stats since the all-star break. I know he lead most of the first half. I am kinda excited about him coming to the majors. If he is able to go from being the top pitching prospect to a really good outfielder who can hit then it's going to be quite amazing. A scout from one major league team said he has the arm of a right fielder, the speed and defense of a center fielder and the best looking swing since Larry Walker.

Thaistylist
07-25-2007, 02:55 AM
I work for the Cards single a short season team and let me tell you

the future of the cards is not bright, they have a new scouting director that isnt a baseball man. Our team is 9-22 the pitching is pretty good...some names to look out for are Clay Mortenson, Jesse Todd, and Daniel Kopp. But hitting wise the cards won't be having a homegrown guy hit more than 20+ hrs from this draft.

JoeKickAss
07-25-2007, 04:02 AM
Mark Prior

BigBanda
07-25-2007, 04:29 AM
Yeah I agree with Grant Hill being 1. I remember whene he first came into the league he was being labeled as the next Michael Jordan. He is still a great player but somewhere along the way he lost a lot of steam.

Mac
07-25-2007, 05:32 AM
I work for the Cards single a short season team and let me tell you

the future of the cards is not bright, they have a new scouting director that isnt a baseball man. Our team is 9-22 the pitching is pretty good...some names to look out for are Clay Mortenson, Jesse Todd, and Daniel Kopp. But hitting wise the cards won't be having a homegrown guy hit more than 20+ hrs from this draft.
Yeah, I was kinda disappointed in the draft. I couldn't believe they took that SS. I mean I know he's supposed to have a great glove but they don't project much from his bat.

Edit: Although I'm also excited about Colby Rasmus, he's in AA right now but they are saying he's our best position prospect.

Things are looking bleak for the future though, it seems Jocketty wants out and that sucks because he's the most underrated GM there is.

Thaistylist
07-25-2007, 06:21 AM
Yea, I guess they hired a business man to run their scouting department to save some money and next thing they know he is their scouting director. That pisses me off because essentially thats what I am going to school to be and he obviously can't scout his way out of a paper bag.

CM PO
07-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Len Bias

people thought he was better than Jordan coming outta college and OD on coke be4 playing 1 game. Poster boy for this thread

killerinstinct
07-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Ian Thorpe-I still can't beleive he retired. He still had a lot of talent left in him and in my opinion was always a better swimmer than Michael Phelps.

Also "Shoeless" Joe Jackson comes to mind.

matto
07-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah I agree with Grant Hill being 1. I remember whene he first came into the league he was being labeled as the next Michael Jordan. He is still a great player but somewhere along the way he lost a lot of steam.

agree, grant hill and ken griffy jr. have to be the top and remind me of each other cause their career took different turns due to injuries. hill could have been a lot better and many belive that griffy jr. would have passed and gotton more career hr's then bonds and a-rod. it sucks that he had to get so many injuries.

teshore
07-26-2007, 08:23 PM
bob fellar

Donny77
07-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Karl Malone coulda been the all time leading scorer in NBA history but deided to retire after his mom's death

SimpleJack
07-27-2007, 05:38 AM
Karl Malone wouldn't have beaten the record and didn't deserve it anyway. Don't get me wrong, he had a great career, thanks to John Stockton. No way does he belong in this discussion.

error2k5
07-27-2007, 07:59 AM
priest holmes

killerinstinct
07-27-2007, 10:27 AM
priest holmes
You know Priest has talked about returning this season.

Donny77
07-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Karl Malone wouldn't have beaten the record and didn't deserve it anyway. Don't get me wrong, he had a great career, thanks to John Stockton. No way does he belong in this discussion.
Lol thanks to Stockton!!! ya okay well John wouldnt have had so many assists if he didnt have the great finisher in the mailman. His only blemish on his resume is he never got his title.. But if the the Jazz had of played any other team then the bulls in that era they wouldve....And ya Malone woulda broke the record , check the stats bud

SimpleJack
07-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Okay......I guess at his current level of scoring (515/year) with the Lakers he would have needed 3 more years......and no one else would have signed him for 3 years. Oh yeah, and Stockton was the reason for all of those open shots, the pick and roll, and the spreading of the defense. Please don't debate that simple fact because I'm not sure it's debatable. There's no doubt that Malone was solid and perfect for the system, but isn't it safe to say that in 98-99 when Stockton was hurt he had the lowest point output since very early in his career???

Donny77
07-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Okay......I guess at his current level of scoring (515/year) with the Lakers he would have needed 3 more years......and no one else would have signed him for 3 years. Oh yeah, and Stockton was the reason for all of those open shots, the pick and roll, and the spreading of the defense. Please don't debate that simple fact because I'm not sure it's debatable. There's no doubt that Malone was solid and perfect for the system, but isn't it safe to say that in 98-99 when Stockton was hurt he had the lowest point output since very early in his career???
First off, he coulda went to a team like a Seatle or somthin just to beat the record.. Thats all im saying. He coulda ben the NBA's leading scorer if he wanted to go to some celler team and score 20 plus a game but he chose to go out his way and didnt play the game just to beat Kareem's record.
Second off, I'm not debating Stockton's importance but u read interviews with John and he'll flat out say that Malone was the NVP of the Jazz. And the whole system thing well.. Lets just see if any other PF's of Sloan can do half the things Malone has done.
Third off, Malone still scored 23 pts/ game in 98-99 when Stockton was hurt.. Im sure u could find stats like that from all the great players , when their second man goes down their scoring drops a bit.

4th off,Highlights
Selected in 1996 as one of the "50 Greatest Players in NBA History"
Two-time NBA Most Valuable Player (1996-97, 1998-99), one of only nine players in NBA history to win the Maurice Podoloff Trophy more than once
Eleven-time All-NBA First Team selection (1988-89, 1989-90, 1990-91, 1991-92, 1992-93, 1993-94, 1994-95, 1995-96, 1996-97, 1997-98 and 1998-99), two-time All-NBA Second Team selection (1987-88 and 1999-2000), and a 2000-01 All-NBA Third Team selection
Three-time NBA All-Defensive First Team selection (1996-97, 1997-98 and 1998-99) and a 1987-88 NBA All-Defensive Second Team selection
Fourteen-time NBA All-Star selection who played in 12 games (missed 1990 game due to injury and the 2002 game due to family illness), including 10 consecutive contests from 1991 to 2001
Named MVP of the 1989 All-Star Game in Houston after registering 28 points and nine rebounds, and named co-MVP with teammate John Stockton of the 1993 All-Star Game in Salt Lake City after tallying 28 points and 10 rebounds
Ranks second all-time in points scored with 36,374, behind only Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (38,387)
Holds the NBA record most consecutive seasons scoring 2,000 or more points (11, 1987-88 to 1997-98) and shares the record with Michael Jordan for most career 2,000 point seasons (11, 1987-88 to 1997-98)
Tied Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (17) for most consecutive seasons scoring at least 20.0 points per game (17, 1986-87 to 2002-03)
Scored a career-high 61 points, the most by a Jazz player since the franchise moved to Utah, against the Milwaukee Bucks on 1/27/90
Scored a Jazz playoff-record 50 points and grabbed 12 boards against the Seattle SuperSoncics on 4/22/00
Holds the NBA record for most seasons leading the league in free-throws made (seven, 1988-89 to 1992-93, 1996-97, 1997-98) and most consecutive seasons leading the league in free-throws made (1988-89 to 1992-93)
Passed Moses Malone (8,531) to become the NBA's all-time leader in free throws made on 3/24/01 vs. the Washington Wizards
Became the all-time leader in free throws attepmted on 12/10/01 against the Mavericks
Ranks second all-time in field-goals made with 13,335 behind only Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (15,837)
Ranks second all-time in minutes played at 53,479, trailing only Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (57,446)
Ranks seventh all-time in rebounds, with 14,601
Appeared in the 1997 and 1998 NBA Finals against the Chicago Bulls
Named to the 1985-86 NBA All-Rookie Team and finished third in Rookie of the Year balloting after averaging 14.9 ppg and 8.9 rpg
A member of the men's basketball "Dream Team" that won the gold medal at the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona and the 1996 Dream Team that won gold in Atlanta
Winner of the 1997-98 IBM Award
During career, named NBA Player of the Week 22 times and NBA Player of the Month seven times
Notched his third career triple-double with game-highs of 29 points (11-13 FG) and 12 rebounds, and 10 assists, in a 99-82 win over the L.A. Clippers on 5/4/99; recorded his second career triple-double with 32 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists against the Toronto Raptors on 2/27/97
Twelve-time NBA All-Interview First Team selection and 1999-2000 All-Interview Second Team selection

SimpleJack
07-27-2007, 08:25 PM
"Twelve-time NBA All-Interview First Team selection and 1999-2000 All-Interview Second Team selection"

That's a hilarious highlight. I said he was perfect for the system and I still say he didn't and wouldn't have the all-time record......either way.

If you want another PF in Sloan's system who can do it, look at Boozer. He's actually kinda average but he gets 21 a game with 11 RB and 3 ast.....pretty Malone-like, huh. The system highlights PF and PG play. Deron Williams is no Stockton at this time and he and Boozer don't have the chemistry yet. They could do similar numbers if both are together and healthy.

error2k5
07-28-2007, 01:38 AM
You know Priest has talked about returning this season.

yea, it killed me when he got injured because he was my favorite running back at that time...i hope he can return but...i'm a little doubtful

SimpleJack
07-28-2007, 05:44 AM
He's been cleared and will be at camp. Larry Johnson is going to hold out and rumor is that he and the Chiefs aren't even within 14 mil of a contract.

Donny77
07-28-2007, 06:29 PM
"Twelve-time NBA All-Interview First Team selection and 1999-2000 All-Interview Second Team selection"

That's a hilarious highlight. I said he was perfect for the system and I still say he didn't and wouldn't have the all-time record......either way.

If you want another PF in Sloan's system who can do it, look at Boozer. He's actually kinda average but he gets 21 a game with 11 RB and 3 ast.....pretty Malone-like, huh. The system highlights PF and PG play. Deron Williams is no Stockton at this time and he and Boozer don't have the chemistry yet. They could do similar numbers if both are together and healthy.
Cóme on now, ur comparing Calos Boozer to Karl Malone.. Thats just not right!!
and ya that all interview thing was hilarious

SimpleJack
07-28-2007, 08:08 PM
That's the point. I was highlighting the fact that Sloan's system allows the PF to overachieve.

eazye76
07-28-2007, 08:36 PM
That's the point. I was highlighting the fact that Sloan's system allows the PF to overachieve.
Don't sell Boozer short, he "overachieved" in Cleveland too.

Donny77
07-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Exactly, thats why he signed for big bucks in Utah.. He was playing great before Sloans system

killerinstinct
07-28-2007, 11:29 PM
He's been cleared and will be at camp. Larry Johnson is going to hold out and rumor is that he and the Chiefs aren't even within 14 mil of a contract.
Yeah the Chiefs don't think he's worth as much money as he's asking for considering his age. I think they should pay him whatever he's asking for though. The Chiefs are my favorite team and they always will be, but some of the decisions they've been making has been pissing me off. They should've never got rid of the X-factor, that was total bullshit if you ask me. I just wish Dick Vermeil were still around.

SimpleJack
07-29-2007, 07:09 AM
Exactly, thats why he signed for big bucks in Utah.. He was playing great before Sloans system
I'm gonna have to call shenanigans on that one. He averaged 15.5 there and now he's up to 20.9. Not exactly the same type of numbers on a team where he was a top option.

Donny77
07-29-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm gonna have to call shenanigans on that one. He averaged 15.5 there and now he's up to 20.9. Not exactly the same type of numbers on a team where he was a top option.
k, but the Cav's new whatt he was gonna be, they wanted him beside James bad, but Boozere wanted to be the #1 guy...But im not taking nothing away from Sloan, if he ever had a decent centre he would atleasat have three titles by now

eazye76
07-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Boozer is one of the top 3 PF in the game. When he played w/ Lebron(30+ ppg), they didn't need him to score 30 pts a game. They needed a big body inside to hold down the low post, and do the dirty work for James. When Boozer went to the Jazz, the SF was Andre Kirelenko(sp?) who is a defensive guy first, they needed a big guy who could score. Boozer has always played the game his team needed, including Duke.
BTW - Don't you guys think Carlos would have stood a lot better chance against Duncan than Drew Gooden did in the finals. I simply cannot see how anybody is calling Boozer overrated.

SimpleJack
07-29-2007, 07:20 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA..........TOP 3??? Let me see:

1. Duncan
2. Garnett
3. Nowitzki
4. Elton Brand
5. Antawn Jamison
6. Jermaine O'Neal
7. Chris Bosh
8. Dwight Howard
9. Carlos Boozer
10. Pau Gasol

And please tell me what year Lebron scored 30/game with Boozer??? That's right, they played 03-04 together and he only averaged 20. Just a little shy of 30, wouldn't you say???

He was the only player who played well against the Spurs, but the result was a 4-1 beating by them. Not much better than what Cleveland got. I'm not sure that matching up with Duncan is the answer. You should shut down Parker and Ginobili. They are the game changers. Duncan will do what he does.

Also, I never said he was overrated, I said he was overachieving. He's definitely a 17 and 10 guy on about any team. But top 3???? You're nuts.

eazye76
07-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Alright Lebron didn't average 30 w/ boozer, but you have to see my point that he is a better offensive player than AK-47. We are both entitled to our opinions, and it seems that my opinion is based a lot more on the playoffs. To me a player shows who he is in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. All those guys you mentioned, other than Duncan, did little in the postseason, or didn't get there at all. I'm sure your list is supported by numbers, but Boozer got his team a lot farther than any of them. Did anybody 2-9 on your list even make it to game 5 of the round 1?

SimpleJack
07-29-2007, 08:32 PM
I just think you are basing your list on THIS season and that's fine. I just adamantly feel that Sloan allows for the PF to be the highlight of the offense. I like BOOZER. Truly wanted him to stay with Cleveland.

Donny77
07-30-2007, 12:35 AM
I just think you are basing your list on THIS season and that's fine. I just adamantly feel that Sloan allows for the PF to be the highlight of the offense. I like BOOZER. Truly wanted him to stay with Cleveland.
dont get off topic Malone could have got the record if he chose to stick around bottomline

SimpleJack
07-30-2007, 01:59 AM
Who would have signed a contract for him????? As a 17 yr. vet his contract would have been outrageous and no one in the L would have paid him for what he had left. He sucked for the lakers.

Donny77
07-30-2007, 02:26 AM
Who would have signed a contract for him????? As a 17 yr. vet his contract would have been outrageous and no one in the L would have paid him for what he had left. He sucked for the lakers.
NJo he did not!! For the players that were on the Lakers he had good numbers when he was in the lineup.. and he woulda beat the record if he really wanted to, just admit it

Buggedoutnicy
07-30-2007, 06:26 AM
preist holmes (coulda had more records if his body would allow it)
Len Bias (supposed to be mj n dided two days after draft)
Reggie lewis (an all star b4 he died)
bo jackson
barry sanders
jim brown
penny hardway (after that surgery he was never the same)

SimpleJack
07-30-2007, 11:08 AM
I just don't see where anyone can honestly say that he DIDN'T want the record. Why wouldn't he? Respect for Kareem? Please.

I will say that he was VERY close. Like 1 all-star calibur season away. But he didn't have that type of game left in him.

eazye76
07-30-2007, 05:37 PM
NJo he did not!! For the players that were on the Lakers he had good numbers when he was in the lineup.. and he woulda beat the record if he really wanted to, just admit it
Don't know anything about the record, but Malone was hurt the whole second half of the season w/ the Lakers. If his knee would have been alright, that would have been a diffrent finals.

Donny77
07-30-2007, 11:23 PM
I just don't see where anyone can honestly say that he DIDN'T want the record. Why wouldn't he? Respect for Kareem? Please.

I will say that he was VERY close. Like 1 all-star calibur season away. But he didn't have that type of game left in him.
His mom died and he didnt have passion to play anymore. He didnt have that drive to play 82 games..

SimpleJack
08-01-2007, 04:54 AM
Could be. I had no idea that had happened because I really never cared for him.

Donny77
08-01-2007, 06:52 PM
i cant beleive after all those pages u finally say it.. No body here in Canada cared for him or the Jazz either.. I think thats partially why i followed his career so closley

sandywh
08-02-2007, 04:19 AM
The list has to begin with Bo Jackson.
He was on his to the Hall of Fame in both sports before the hip injury.
Len Bias
Bobby Hurley
Brian Bosworth
Ted Williams
Kerry Wood

CEVANS
08-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Len Bias
Bobby Hurley
Brian Bosworth
Ted Williams
Kerry Wood
bosworth is that the guy drafted into the nba then died two days later ?????

Donny77
08-09-2007, 03:47 AM
Len Bias
Bobby Hurley
Brian Bosworth
Ted Williams
Kerry Wood
Yep gotta agree especially with Bias

newwatcher
08-10-2007, 12:06 PM
bosworth is that the guy drafted into the nba then died two days later ?????
No that was Bias
Bossworth was on the Seahawks and was also busted in college for using steriods.I personally do not think he would have been a greatest type player even if his knees ahd not gone bad.

Malone has no place in this thread.He had a great carear.Plus if MJ had never left the game for the first time i think he would hold the all time scoring record.So That would also have kept Malone away from it.

Bo knows he would have owned in both sports had he not got hurt.

For going out on top you have 3 players that come to my mind.Brown,Sanders and the Tyler rose Earl Campbell.

dan the man 67
08-13-2007, 11:03 PM
That's an easy one...............Mario Lemieux.

I can't believe nobody mentioned him.

kickass32
08-14-2007, 04:03 AM
Although I am a Gretzky fan, I am one of a few that actually believe Lemieux was the most talented hockey player ever to lace up the skates.

dan the man 67
08-14-2007, 04:09 AM
Although I am a Gretzky fan, I am one of a few that actually believe Lemieux was the most talented hockey player ever to lace up the skates.

I believe Lemieux was the only one who could have beaten Gretzky's records. There were incredibly lofty records, but Lemieux was that good.

I had the pleasure of seeing Lemieux play for Laval in the Quebec Major Juniors, because that is where I grew up. It was not uncommon for him to get 5, 6, 7, sometimes 8 points in 1 game - incredible!

SgtFrenchy
08-18-2007, 05:08 AM
I believe Lemieux was the only one who could have beaten Gretzky's records. There were incredibly lofty records, but Lemieux was that good.

I had the pleasure of seeing Lemieux play for Laval in the Quebec Major Juniors, because that is where I grew up. It was not uncommon for him to get 5, 6, 7, sometimes 8 points in 1 game - incredible!
Oh man I totally agree. In my personal opinion he was one of the greatest hockey players ever. That guy could do anything he wanted with that puck.

mattc25
08-18-2007, 07:09 AM
Herschel Walker- he would have been one of the greatest backs in NFL history,but he chose to go to the USFL first. His shoulder`s were a problem down the road,as he was such a workhorse in college,hence the huge shoulder pads he wore in the pros.......The most dominant college running back ever IMO.

Grant Hill- the 7 ankle surgeries he had and is still playing,he is still a hall of famer though.

Karl Malone was a great player and he should not even be mentioned in this thread,possibly the best power foward of all time. His body broke down at the end of his career,he was not even close to being himself with the laker`s. The only way possible for him to break the scoring record was if Stockton did not retire and he stayed with the jazz.

Len Bias and Bo Jackson are great calls as well,esp Bo.

TookaChinchilla
08-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Joining in on this thread a little late, but has no one mentioned Barry Sanders yet?

Punk Ass
08-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Joining in on this thread a little late, but has no one mentioned Barry Sanders yet?

Hell yes, dude would have cruched the rushing title.

Afro
08-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Barry Sanders.. LOL, hes one of my fav backs ever but damn is he overrated

Thaistylist
08-18-2007, 08:33 PM
How is he overrated? He dominated for years with only one other offensive weapon to compliment him, Herman Moore.

Mac
08-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I said Barry back on the second page but nobody commented on it. I think he could have played at least 3 or 4 more years. There is no way he's overrated, he did what he did on a horrible team.

TheBonger
08-18-2007, 10:09 PM

if Barry is overrated what the hell is Emmit?

Mac
08-18-2007, 10:16 PM
if Barry is overrated what the hell is Emmit?
Lucky to have played on great teams over his carreer. Just imagine if Barry had played for the Cowboys instead of Emmit, we wouldn't know who the hell Emmit Smith was.

kalebarker
08-19-2007, 04:13 AM
Yea him and Bobby Orr are deffinately the 2 top hcokey playes on this list. He had an amzing rookie year. He got like 130 points I think.

scottsec
08-19-2007, 04:29 AM
How is Barry Sanders overated??

Daver46
09-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Good topic. The 2 I frist thought of were Bo Jackson & Barry Sanders.