PDA

View Full Version : Can Frank Mir rise again?

Matt2006
07-26-2007, 04:12 PM
I think it would be kinda cool to see Mir (9-3-0) in the top ranks again perhaps even be a contender for the title, especially after all he has been through in the past years.

He is going to be fighting Antoni Hardonk (5-3-0) at UFC74 which actually should have been back in UFC Fight Night 9 but didnt because he had an injured shoulder.

I dont know much about Hardonk, and havent had time to watch any fights he has been, how do you guys think these 2 will match up and what are your opinions on this topic.

Fan or not of Mir.

eazye76
07-26-2007, 04:22 PM
I used to be a huge Frank Mir fan. I loved his second fight with Wes Simms when he dominated on the ground, then stood Simms up to knock him out - good stuff. Not big on Frank anymore for a couple of reasons. First, he's a shell of his former self(I'm not a fair-weathered fan, athletes who end/fuck up their career on a bike is frustrating). Second, the reason I liked him in the first place was his BJJ, which after the accident, it doesn't look to me like he has it anymore.
Don't really know anything about the upcoming fight, but I hope he wins.

CEVANS
07-26-2007, 04:51 PM
mir is not eventop ten right now and doubt he will be anytime soo too many HW right now for him to even be thought about

TheRichProject
07-26-2007, 04:54 PM
It was good to see Frank come back after the motorcycle accident but I don't see him launching an assault on the top tier of the UFC's Heavyweight Division.

That's not to say that I wouldn't welcome it... but I just think it'd be asking too much of him.

Matt2006
07-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback on this, I was really curious on how everyone felt about him since his accident and I do agree with you all... it does seem like he lost it a little bit.

Unless he whips himself into better shape and trains harder I also agree he probably wont be in the top ranks of the HW division anytime soon.

Keep the comments coming, I figured this would be an interesting topic.

Gmunit
07-26-2007, 05:24 PM
I don't think he will be a Top HW in the future, I think he will be a "gatekeeper" so to speak for lower tier fighters

I hope I'm wrong though, Anyone who breaks Timmy's arm is in my good books for sure

matto
07-26-2007, 06:14 PM
big mir fan, but he def lost his touch since after the motorcycle accident. unfortunately i dont see him rising up again.

CEVANS
07-26-2007, 06:24 PM
yeah i cn't see him moving up at all you got
AA
GG
CC
randy
NOG
Vera
werdum
maybe herring that would beat him then you have a possible fedor coming
so he is falling farther and farther down with the ufc picking up more HW's

bugsy n
07-26-2007, 06:53 PM
mir was like a prodigy when he was on top.....amazing submission skill and was consider a future legend .....but since his crash he look like his head is not in mma anymore and fail to live up to what he was ....will you ever see him on top again ....i say never ... i dont even think he can do better than right now ....sorry but mir is finish ....the fighter he was die in that accident .... what a waste of talent

Donny77
07-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Mir should get it done against Antoni.. We'll know a lot after this fight in which direction Mir's career is going

neonatural45
07-27-2007, 05:24 AM
He should beat Hardonk but I never thought he was that great

Cardio is crap and his standup is less then stellar, plus he is nowhere near the best BJJ practioner in the UFC heavyweight division these days

2mcgrath
07-27-2007, 05:35 AM
since the wreck mir isnt the fighter he used to be.i dont think he will ever be a top 10 fighter again.i think he will remain a gatekeeper, undercard type fighter

Transworld
07-30-2007, 10:12 PM
I used to watch Mir fights just to analyze his transitions into submissions. Some of his submissions were just crazy; he made it look effortless. I think now he is just fighting to make ends meet. I donít think he is mentally in the fight or fight preparation. People like Mir, Joe Riggs and Evan Tanner you just feel for them. You want them to succeed.

neonatural45
07-31-2007, 08:43 AM
Mir should get it done against Antoni.. We'll know a lot after this fight in which direction Mir's career is going
agreed. I thought hardonk would be a big thing but he couldnt even finish a gimme arm bar and his sprawl rivals Kongo's for the most pathetic in that division

scottsec
07-31-2007, 11:51 PM
Mir will never be in the top 5 again.

thasiccest
08-05-2007, 01:02 AM
yeah i cn't see him moving up at all you got
AA
GG
CC
randy
NOG
Vera
werdum
maybe herring that would beat him then you have a possible fedor coming
so he is falling farther and farther down with the ufc picking up more HW's

i agree with all the talent the ufc has now. NO way will mir ever be concidered a top ten anymore~!