PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or was PRIDE 34 extremely depressing?

maxp84z
07-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Knowing that this is clearly the last PRIDE we've all known to love etc, throughout all the years... (I've been a fan since 2002/03) I wish they could have made it a stronger card but overall the event delivered as always...

Noob
07-28-2007, 09:17 PM
No offense, but Pride 34 was almost four months ago.

The value commentary is a little late.

maxp84z
07-28-2007, 09:19 PM
No offense, but Pride 34 was almost four months ago.

The value commentary is a little late.

Yes, but it was the LAST PRIDE event. That should mean something. I just popped it into my DVD player. I'm watching it.

Noob
07-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Eh. Still probably an unecessary thread.

But whatever. Maybe I'm being nitpicky. I usually trust Dork's intuition a little more on these kinds of things.

Dork8503
07-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Eh. Still probably an unecessary thread.

But whatever. Maybe I'm being nitpicky. I usually trust Dork's intuition a little more on these kinds of things.

Na you are right, this is a Noob Jack thread and thats why i moved it their

maxp84z
07-28-2007, 09:37 PM

ahhaha, did you notice that Don Fryes head was actually cut open from James Thompsons head, like the pre fight stare down when they're forehead to forehead!! It's a little cut, but you can tell.

Noob
07-28-2007, 09:38 PM

Well done. I think it was a god judgment call.

I didn't even think of tossing it in here, but I like it.

dagreat1
07-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Yes it was not the typical stacked PRIDE card. My theory behind that is they knew they were selling their company and did not want to pump the typical massive amount into fightter payouts and production so they watered it down. I consider PRIDE 33 the final PRIDE even as far as them putting forth effort and putting on the type of stacked events they're known for.

I think there was something like 10 top 10 world ranked fighters on that card (and that's not even including Soko since he was nowhere near the top 10 at the time and was a 10:1 underdog), Pride's cards were always sick and after watching events like their grand prix's, shockwave's or Bushido's and then watching the following UFC event, it was always a huge step down in quality of cards.

The UFC is starting to put more effort into stacking their cards but are still spreading the talent throughout as many PPV's as they possibly can so the cards are still nowhere near as stacked as the GP's or Shockwave's but hopefully they will eventully get back to their cards where you would see Liddell, Couture, Hughes, Sherk, Horn, Lindland, etc. on the same card.

maxp84z
07-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Yes it was not the typical stacked PRIDE card. My theory behind that is they knew they were selling their company and did not want to pump the typical massive amount into fightter payouts and production so they watered it down. I consider PRIDE 33 the final PRIDE even as far as them putting forth effort and putting on the type of stacked events they're known for.

I think there was something like 10 top 10 world ranked fighters on that card (and that's not even including Soko since he was nowhere near the top 10 at the time and was a 10:1 underdog), Pride's cards were always sick and after watching events like their grand prix's, shockwave's or Bushido's and then watching the following UFC event, it was always a huge step down in quality of cards.

The UFC is starting to put more effort into stacking their cards but are still spreading the talent throughout as many PPV's as they possibly can so the cards are still nowhere near as stacked as the GP's or Shockwave's but hopefully they will eventully get back to their cards where you would see Liddell, Couture, Hughes, Sherk, Horn, Lindland, etc. on the same card.

Yeah, agreed. You always have to realize that the UFC hosts more events, PPVs than PRIDE ever did, so naturally they water down their product.

djkilljoy77
07-28-2007, 10:05 PM
does anybody know when and if pride 33 will be released on dvd? it was probably one of the best shows in a few years. diaz beating gomi just drives me nuts everytime i watch it on dailymotion.

maxp84z
07-28-2007, 10:12 PM
does anybody know when and if pride 33 will be released on dvd? it was probably one of the best shows in a few years. diaz beating gomi just drives me nuts everytime i watch it on dailymotion.

I have the unofficial dvd of PRIDE 33..plus i was there LIVE.

Noob
07-28-2007, 10:15 PM
I have the unofficial dvd of PRIDE 33..plus i was there LIVE.

That's not really what he asked, but nice personal plug. Very shameless.

maxp84z
07-28-2007, 10:26 PM

Shamless plugging ftw... Noob I get the impression that you dont like me very much :(

Dork8503
07-28-2007, 10:30 PM

LOL well i well i fuck couldnt think of anything

Submissionist
07-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Shamless plugging ftw... Noob I get the impression that you dont like me very much :(

Maybe its the sig, change it and Ill even rep you.

maxp84z
07-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Maybe its the sig, change it and Ill even rep you.

You dont like the Gif? lol

Gmunit
07-28-2007, 11:03 PM
it was depressing, but more so because they let Randleman, Coleman and Trigg sit there for an hour talking about how great Pride was

maxp84z
07-28-2007, 11:08 PM
it was depressing, but more so because they let Randleman, Coleman and Trigg sit there for an hour talking about how great Pride was

I think Saku crying in the ring really did it for me.

Boo
07-29-2007, 01:03 AM

You're not the only one who has that impression. What up?

BTW, I think your sig is funny.

Bullock
07-29-2007, 12:23 PM
LOL Nobb doesn't likey you...

but seriously, Pride 34 was very depressing.

Noob
07-29-2007, 12:40 PM

That and the procession in the ring with the Pride president talking at length in Japanese and the fact that it was at 4 or 5 in the morning didn't help.

deeznizzies
07-29-2007, 12:55 PM
we talking about 33 or 34 here? either way they both depressed the shit outta me.. watching gomi get his ass handed to him broke my damn heart man.. like watching someone in your family get beat up.

and then watching fujita get beat by monson... i felt like pride really did die a little that night (maybe it was a sign of things to come?)

eazye76
07-29-2007, 01:54 PM
we talking about 33 or 34 here? either way they both depressed the shit outta me.. watching gomi get his ass handed to him broke my damn heart man.. like watching someone in your family get beat up.

and then watching fujita get beat by monson... i felt like pride really did die a little that night (maybe it was a sign of things to come?)
Yeah, Lil Nog getting put down so fast depressed me, but 33 was pretty good, if not totally uplifting

Mirko
07-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Pride 33 was one of the best events of the year.

prophet665
07-29-2007, 04:04 PM
You're not the only one who has that impression. What up?

BTW, I think your sig is funny.

Yeah...umm...thats the word I would use to describe his sig...funny...yeah....

Noob
07-29-2007, 06:22 PM

I never get tired of your av. You should post more often.

Boo
07-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Hey now, he changed his sig since I posted that.

prophet665
07-29-2007, 11:12 PM
I never get tired of your av. You should post more often.

I don't get asked to post more because I have insightful ideas or bring a fresh and new perspective to a conversation. Nope, I get asked to post more so people can look at a funny picture of a cat watching you molest yourself.

**SIGH**

neonatural45
07-29-2007, 11:27 PM
PRIDE 34 was ok in my eyes, except for the hour long break in the middle.

It still had aoki, soko, arona, fujita, and monson on it. Plus all fights were finished in the first round

Noob
07-30-2007, 12:15 AM
I don't get asked to post more because I have insightful ideas or bring a fresh and new perspective to a conversation. Nope, I get asked to post more so people can look at a funny picture of a cat watching you molest yourself.

**SIGH**

Lol, you have to take what you can get.

Plus, maybe if you posted more we would all come to appreciate your insights and fresh perspectives.

And it is a pretty funny picture of a cat watching you molest yourself.

matto
07-30-2007, 12:32 AM
decent card, not the best, not the worst. def wasnt pride 33 that was the best. gomi vs. diaz and hendo vs. wand. sweet card, and i think that everybody thinks that the end of pride is sad. it sucks the we will most likely never see a pride show again and a lot of fighters will not get a contract with the ufc or other orgainizations but atleast we will be able to see some dream matches. like sylvia vs. giant silva or even butterbean vs. ricco rod.