PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Training For MMA?

matto
07-31-2007, 10:30 AM
is anybody here not just an mma fan but is training to become an mma fighter? what weight class would u fight at? what martial arts are you taking? when do you project you pro debut to happen?

Ezekiel
07-31-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm not planning on becoming a professional MMA fighter. I'm planning on a more stable career. But I will fight amateur MMA in the future for sure and possibly some pro-bouts if I have to time to prepare properly and do well in my amateur fights.

Right now I'm more of a submission wrestler. I compete in 76kg (169lbs) and BJJ at 82,3kg (183 lbs with the gi and groinprotection). I used to do Muay-Thai for some time aswell. Now I'm cross training everything, kickboxing and MMA to back up my SW. I know I should train wrestling aswell, but at this level I just don't have time. So I train

Monday BJJ
Tuesdays MMA
Wednesday Kickboxing and Weights in the morning
Thursday SW
Friday Kickboxing/MMA/SW
Saturday SW Weights later in the evening

I do alittle weights twice a week aswell, wednesdays I train my legs and back and on saturdays i work more on my upperbody. Just basic moves and plain strength. After the other workouts I rest 10 minutes and then do different strength and endurance workouts for 10-15 minutes. I still haven't competed in MMA as I mentioned earlier as I have a longer background in wrestling and submission wrestling (I used to wrestle on a hobby level when I was a young kid and got back to SW when I was 18, I'll turn 23 soon).

matto
07-31-2007, 01:42 PM
good idea going for some ameature fights. i train in sambo, judo, muy thai, kickboxing, boxing, bjj and wrestling. i really wanted to do sub wrestling or catch wrestling but no where to go around me that teaches it. hopeing to get down to 205 eventually but might fight at hw, dont really know yeat. what are the ameature fight rules and guidelines?

matto
07-31-2007, 01:44 PM
I'm not planning on becoming a professional MMA fighter. I'm planning on a more stable career. But I will fight amateur MMA in the future for sure and possibly some pro-bouts if I have to time to prepare properly and do well in my amateur fights.

Right now I'm more of a submission wrestler. I compete in 76kg (169lbs) and BJJ at 82,3kg (183 lbs with the gi and groinprotection). I used to do Muay-Thai for some time aswell. Now I'm cross training everything, kickboxing and MMA to back up my SW. I know I should train wrestling aswell, but at this level I just don't have time. So I train

Monday BJJ
Tuesdays MMA
Wednesday Kickboxing and Weights in the morning
Thursday SW
Friday Kickboxing/MMA/SW
Saturday SW Weights later in the evening

I do alittle weights twice a week aswell, wednesdays I train my legs and back and on saturdays i work more on my upperbody. Just basic moves and plain strength. After the other workouts I rest 10 minutes and then do different strength and endurance workouts for 10-15 minutes. I still haven't competed in MMA as I mentioned earlier as I have a longer background in wrestling and submission wrestling (I used to wrestle on a hobby level when I was a young kid and got back to SW when I was 18, I'll turn 23 soon).

you should shoot for going pro and have something to fall back on. u seem to do a lot of martial arts during a week and should go for it. how long have you been doing all of that for?

Ezekiel
07-31-2007, 03:36 PM
you should shoot for going pro and have something to fall back on. u seem to do a lot of martial arts during a week and should go for it. how long have you been doing all of that for?

Hehe, nah man! My stand-up is so shit :grinsmile1: Amateur rules vary abit... You can have semi-contact fights to full contact fights including all strikes etc.

In the semi-contact fights you get DQ for knocking your opponent out :confusedsmilie: And also no ground striking allowed and much thicker grappling gloves. In these fights you wear a boxing helmet and shinpads (not as thicks as the ones you train with).

Then there is the next step: Everything is the same besides that you are allowed to knock your opponent out.

Third step: you can fight without any protection (besides the obvious gloves :grinsmile1: ).

Then the toughest rules allow the same stuff as in a pro bout, but you only go for 2x 5minutes. Those other amateur fights go 2x3min or 3x3min (I'm not 100% on those).

But as said, I don't trust my stand-up enough to take on a fight yet. But soon I will, hehe! Will be great, I can feel the adrenaline pumping in my veins!

edit. I started wrestling when I was like 9 or something. But I only did it for fun, never competed or anything. I didn't take it that seriously. I wrestled for like 3-4 years. then I was about as unatlhetic one can be for a long time :) Started Muay-Thai at 18, trained awhile... 5months maybe. Then changed to BJJ and SW. Now 18 months ago I started MMA and added kickboxing to it 10 months ago. So I've been grappling for 4½ years or so.

matto
07-31-2007, 03:45 PM
ah i see, so basically what your saying is that im the next fedor?

Ezekiel
07-31-2007, 03:50 PM
good idea going for some ameature fights. i train in sambo, judo, muy thai, kickboxing, boxing, bjj and wrestling. i really wanted to do sub wrestling or catch wrestling but no where to go around me that teaches it. hopeing to get down to 205 eventually but might fight at hw, dont really know yeat. what are the ameature fight rules and guidelines?

Do you train them all? Or have you been disciplin hopping? Man if you do BJJ you will do just as good on the ground as if you trained SW. Ok, I can say that if i train for a BJJ contest (only gi training for 6 weeks) and return to no-gi I'm alittle lost. But it all comes back really quick. The only real differences are that it's abit easier to get stuck in submissions in BJJ (but also easier to catch someone in a submission :) ) and you can utilize your guard more effetivly as you can hold on to the gi so much.

You seem to have a good background to start fighting. You just would need to spar MMA alittle and I'm sure you'd do good! Look at GSP, he trains everything separatley and he is doing really good :afro:

ah i see, so basically what your saying is that im the next fedor?
Umm.. lol! What? You lost me here :)

matto
07-31-2007, 03:55 PM
ya there are actual mma classes that help you put it all together. i really like the ground and striking, i cant decide weather i want to be a grappler or striker. when i start throwin them leg kicks, somebody is getting hurt.

Ezekiel
07-31-2007, 04:35 PM
ya there are actual mma classes that help you put it all together. i really like the ground and striking, i cant decide weather i want to be a grappler or striker. when i start throwin them leg kicks, somebody is getting hurt.

Hehe, well I would love be to really well-rounded. But right now my instincts tell me to get close and go to the ground instead of just measuring the other guy and trying to exchange with him. Ok, it's not easy to compare training to a real match as I know who will outstrike me and who will out grapple me. So I will always fight according to that. But as I said, I need to gain more confidence on my feet and then move on to amateur bouts :grinsmile2:

The biggest problem with beeing more a grappler is the fact that I get rather confused when grappling and getting punched by the other guy. It totally changes the game. But I guess that's exactly the same thing for a stand-up fighter as well! They are always open for the takedown so they can't hit and kick like they would in a kickboxing bout. That would problably be the beauty of the sport :devil:

wgasa
08-04-2007, 07:24 AM
This thread hasn't had much activity in a few days, but I'll throw my info in. I currently train in catch wrestling but am about to start also doing BJJ. My weight is currently around 180ish but usually fluctuates between 175 to 190, so I'll either fight welter or middleweight. As far as going pro, I'd really love to, but I have to be realistic. I've only been training for a few months, I'm shooting to start fighting in amature bouts at the end of 2008 or beginning of 2009. If I do well, then turning pro will follow shortly there after. By then, I will have had a good 2 plus years training, which I still don't think is enough, so it may be longer than that before I go pro if I do.

matto
08-04-2007, 02:26 PM
rofl at ur sig.:grinsmile1:

Afro
08-08-2007, 02:41 AM
Im the same as Ezekiel, once Circuit City opens here and I got a consistent scheduel ima hit up this martial arts school in town but dont plan on a career.. just wanna hit some people.

Bullock
08-08-2007, 02:51 AM
I don't think I'll ever actually fight in an MMA competition but training is fun.

ufobydeath
08-08-2007, 03:20 AM
I'm currently sparring at home with two of my buddies until the end of August when I'll start training shooto. From there I'll get at some amateur competitions and fill in the gaps as I go along.
I've trained in BJJ, Judo and Greco, I'm learning Catchwrestling right now (as best I can with instructionals :\) and I'll probably be training some muay thai, boxing and folkstyle. That's the plan anyways!

After that I'll be doing amateur until I feel that I've got the skills to compete pro.

matto
08-08-2007, 06:02 PM
yes training at home is very good and not just at a gym. for heavy and speed bags, weighlifting, cardio, grappling dummies and slambags.

Pythonfighter14
08-15-2007, 02:30 PM
I've been doing Wrestling for years and just this year did i decide to train for MMA. Ive been making some money teaching younger kids Wrestling so Ive been training in BJJ and traditional boxing. Iv've studideed freestyle folkstlye and Greco Roman wrestling so if I ever do go pro (my goal right now) that'll be my base.

Unfortunately im a very small guy (130 lbs 5 ft 7 going into 12th grade) Hopefully ill be able to get some more height and size before i graduate .:confusedsmilie:

matto
08-15-2007, 02:36 PM
wrestling is a great great base. iv been in submissions and striking and wish i had better wrestling. you should be too bad off, youll grow a littl bit, get natural muscle and add some muscle and get ripped and bantomweight should be a perfect fit.

Ezekiel
08-15-2007, 02:57 PM
It's very good if you have a possiblilty to train at home. But the most important thing is that you have a coach who will correct you when you do something wrong. Say you train 4-5 time a week at a gym it's great to have to opportunity to work on grappling dummies and a a bag at home. But without a coach it's not that effective, unfortunatley.

Ofcourse it's better than nothing :)

matto
08-15-2007, 03:01 PM
grappling dummies are great, especially the ones that you can strike and slam down. they also make a good teddy bear and they also can be a good friend in bed if you gf is gone and you cant find your blow up doll.

Pythonfighter14
08-16-2007, 10:44 PM
[matto]grappling dummies are great, especially the ones that you can strike and slam down. they also make a good teddy bear and they also can be a good friend in bed if you gf is gone and you cant find your blow up doll.

lol

Another training ive been doing is to take the bag put it on your back and run, you quite obviously get much more tired than usual!

:stewie:

matto
08-17-2007, 12:16 AM
[matto]grappling dummies are great, especially the ones that you can strike and slam down. they also make a good teddy bear and they also can be a good friend in bed if you gf is gone and you cant find your blow up doll.

lol

Another training ive been doing is to take the bag put it on your back and run, you quite obviously get much more tired than usual!

:stewie:

yes or run with it on you shoulder like your about to slam it.

Pythonfighter14
08-17-2007, 03:50 PM
[matto]yes or run with it on you shoulder like your about to slam it.

Thats actually what I meant when I said run with it, i should have verified that. i'm so stupid :banghead:

Frasedog
08-17-2007, 07:23 PM
I train bjj gi and no gi twice a week I mix in some stand up here and there. I will step that up soon. I compete in grappling tournaments locally. My weight ranges from 175-185 lbs so I have a few choices for weight classes. I do plan to fight some day. My goal is to have an amature mma bout by next spring. There are a lot of orgs in my area. Reality fighting, Mass destruction, Combat in the cage, etc. Lots of opportunity, and I know quite a few fighters who are well connected. Just have toget the skills where they need to be.

matto
08-18-2007, 06:25 AM
I train bjj gi and no gi twice a week I mix in some stand up here and there. I will step that up soon. I compete in grappling tournaments locally. My weight ranges from 175-185 lbs so I have a few choices for weight classes. I do plan to fight some day. My goal is to have an amature mma bout by next spring. There are a lot of orgs in my area. Reality fighting, Mass destruction, Combat in the cage, etc. Lots of opportunity, and I know quite a few fighters who are well connected. Just have toget the skills where they need to be.

that is cool that u are fighting that soon. ur lucky that u have local organizations in your area.

Frasedog
08-18-2007, 07:43 PM
that is cool that u are fighting that soon. ur lucky that u have local organizations in your area.
Yeah I know. I live in Vermont. You wouldnt think there would be a lot going in this area, but I'm not far from NY, NJ, MA, and NH, all of which have MMA orgs.