PDA

View Full Version : Whites, Blacks, view Bonds HR chase differently

Punk Ass
08-08-2007, 04:11 PM
More than half of baseball fans are rooting against Barry Bonds as he tries to break Hank Aaron's major league home run record of 755, according to an ESPN/ABC News poll.

The survey found that 52 percent of fans hope Bonds doesn't break the record, while 37 percent of fans want him to surpass Aaron's mark, set in 1974.

In addition, 73 percent of fans think Bonds used steroids, despite Bonds' repeated denials. Bonds has never tested positive for steroids.

However, race plays a unique role. Black fans in the survey are more than twice as likely to want Bonds to break Aaron's record (74 percent to 28 percent), and 37 percent of black fans think Bonds used steroids, compared to 76 percent of white fans.

Blacks are nearly twice as likely to think Bonds has been treated unfairly (46 percent to 25 percent). Why? The survey found that 41 percent of black fans think this is due to the steroids issue, 25 percent think it's because of his race, and 21 percent blame Bonds' personality.

For whites who think Bonds has been treated unfairly, 66 percent blame steroids. Virtually none blame race.

Older blacks (50 and over) are less likely to think Bonds took steroids (29 percent) than younger blacks (44 percent). There is no age difference among whites.

A majority of fans -- 58 percent -- think Bonds should be in the Hall of Fame. That's 10 points higher than a similar poll conducted last summer. Among blacks, 85 percent think Bonds belongs in Cooperstown, compared to 53 percent of whites. Also, 78 percent of blacks think Bonds should be recognized as the home run leader, compared to 53 percent of whites.

Younger white fans are 15 points more likely than older white fans to recognize Bonds as the home run leader as well as putting him in the Hall of Fame.

The ESPN/ABC News poll was conducted by telephone March 29-April 22, 2007, among a random national sample of 799 adult baseball fans, including an oversample of 203 African-Americans. The results have a 3.5-point error margin among all respondents, seven points among blacks.

I thought this was interesting, but also Bonds said he gets death threats everyday on his personal phone, and said he can't count how many times he heard the words" I'm gonna kill you Nigga"

Edit: Here's the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2861930

Thoughts?

eazye76
08-08-2007, 04:51 PM
There will always be racists in the world, but I don't think being black is why a lot of white people don't like Bonds. If it was Griffey or Ryan Howard this country would come to a complete stop and people would cheer their asses off. All the white sports fans I know would love to see Hank Aaron(who's also black) keep the record. I've just heard too many disgusting stories about how Bonds has treated children, armed service members, the media, and the world in general. I'm a white guy, and to be honest I'm waiting on pins and needles for someone to break that record - Black, White, Hispanic... anybody.

Severn
08-08-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm not shocked at all. If anything you can tell how bad it was when he passed Ruth and everyone kept on referring to the homerun record as Babe's instead of Arron's. It goes back more than just Barry Bonds.

eazye76
08-08-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm not shocked at all. If anything you can tell how bad it was when he passed Ruth and everyone kept on referring to the homerun record as Babe's instead of Arron's. It goes back more than just Barry Bonds.
In your opinion, what if it was Ken Griffey jr. breaking the record, do you feel it would be the same as Bonds, or would he be treated better?

Severn
08-08-2007, 07:08 PM
In your opinion, what if it was Ken Griffey jr. breaking the record, do you feel it would be the same as Bonds, or would he be treated better?

He would be treated better because the media likes him more. If Barry was a media darling it would be a different matter but he's not. The steroid accusations are just more fuel for the fire. He's had a bad opinions of the media since he was a kid as he saw how they hounded his dad. Griffey capturing the record would add a totally different vibe to it, he was the golden boy of the league at one time.

When it comes time for A-rod to do I'm curious to see how the meda/public will take it. Right now he's a highly paid hired gun who can't pull it off in the post season. All that can change in a few years so who knows how it will be.

eazye76
08-08-2007, 07:24 PM
He would be treated better because the media likes him more.
You said the key word in this debate - media. I do think Barry has brought a lot of it, if not all, on himself. The American people are extremely forgiving, and if he wanted to he could probably still change his image. Who knows maybe someday we will see Barry on TV selling grills like George Forman.

Metalhead
08-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Hank Aaron was black so I'm sick of everybody saying it's a race thing.

Punk Ass
08-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Hank Aaron was black so I'm sick of everybody saying it's a race thing.

But Hank Aaron got shit worse than Bonds, and I'm sure it wasn't Black people that were threatening Bonds. We just don't get down like that.

jesusatemyhotdog
08-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Barry Bonds is a fucking asshole. And I personally couldn't care, as long as he keeps hitting dingers. At this point it is pretty much a foregone conclusion that he juiced, but that is MLB's fault for not having a steroid policy in the first place. With or without roids, Barry is one of the all - time greats.

TriangleChoke
08-08-2007, 09:36 PM
I thought this was interesting, but also Bonds said he gets death threats everyday on his personal phone, and said he can't count how many times he heard the words" I'm gonna kill you Nigga"

Edit: Here's the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2861930

Thoughts?
doesnt surprise me a bit...I'm not really for or against bonds surpassing hank's record...bein from georgia i'm all about the braves, but bonds was a BAD ASS baseball player, so regardless of race (bc i dont see color) ppl should give bonds the respect he deserves. Steroids or not, he's clean now and he's come back from injuries and he's still crushing the ball...you got to hand it to him. and if he has never tested positive, then what can anyone really say accept for congratulations barry, for being the greatest hr hitter of all time..? :confusedsmilie:

Punk Ass
08-08-2007, 09:41 PM
doesnt surprise me a bit...I'm not really for or against bonds surpassing hank's record...bein from georgia i'm all about the braves, but bonds was a BAD ASS baseball player, so regardless of race (bc i dont see color) ppl should give bonds the respect he deserves. Steroids or not, he's clean now and he's come back from injuries and he's still crushing the ball...you got to hand it to him. and if he has never tested positive, then what can anyone really say accept for congratulations barry, for being the greatest hr hitter of all time..? :confusedsmilie:

Truer words were never spoken, rep'd

Metalhead
08-08-2007, 09:52 PM
It's not a race thing. That's what really bugs me is that people claim it is, but it's not. The guy is a dick that's why nobody likes him. If he was white and had the same attitude he'd get the same reception. The media is playing up the race card. They plant the seed and it spreads like wild fire.

sandywh
08-08-2007, 10:17 PM
As far as the Bonds issue goes, I think its more of a, "What kind of baseball fan are you" issue. Casual fans think Bonds should be suspended for roids. Baseball purists believe that he should have an * because of the differences in the game (season length, balls, mounds, bats, roids), true baseball fans don't seem to give a damn, cause they know that 60-80% of the league was on Roids and that there are still 20-30% on them. So why care Bonds did what he had to do to remain the elite player he is/was (thats if you beleive he was juiced). Bonds is a nasty person. He is chippy and an asshole, but he's been that way since grade school, so for him to change that wouldn't be him. Bonds has not been convicted of anything nor suspended for failling any test. Until he does he should heralded as the baseball hero that he is. And Damn Bud Selig for not being there. He should have his league stripped away from him for not acknowledging the greastest record in sports history. And double Damn the talking heads at ESPN for not even letting Bonds complete his homerun trot before talking about the steroids again. Two faced sons of bitches.

Metalhead
08-09-2007, 01:21 AM
I may be naive but I really have no opinion if he has anything to do with roids. Yes, his numbers went up after suspicion of juicing, but, maybe that's the time when he learned how important physcial conditioning is. It's possible that he naturally put on some muscle. Maybe he knew his career was coming for an end so he decided to hit the gym. Doesn't mean he took roids.

Punk Ass
08-09-2007, 01:40 AM
I may be naive but I really have no opinion if he has anything to do with roids. Yes, his numbers went up after suspicion of juicing, but, maybe that's the time when he learned how important physcial conditioning is. It's possible that he naturally put on some muscle. Maybe he knew his career was coming for an end so he decided to hit the gym. Doesn't mean he took roids.

I agree

jesusatemyhotdog
08-09-2007, 01:56 AM

Read 'Game of Shadows'.

There is actually an excerpt here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/magazine/03/06/growth0313/

And the afterword:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/02/27/shadows.afterword/index.html

Mac
08-09-2007, 06:01 PM
The race card is getting real old, it seems some use it as justification to why someone gets persecuted (sp?). People didn't want Bonds to break the record because he's an asshole and he used steroids. It's the same thing with Vick, people are using the race card on that situation as well.

What are we supposed to do? I have a 12 year old and I'm sorry but I don't want him to celebrate the fact that someone broke a major record while on performance enhancing drugs. I stated in another thread, my son also had a Vick jersey that I spent $50 on at Christmas. I told him I didn't want him wearing it and he said he didn't want to and threw it away. It made me proud of him.

This isn't about race, it's about right and wrong. Mark McGwire had first balot hall of fame numbers but didn't get in. Guess what, he's white. There is no proof that he ever did steroids but everyone thinks he did, including me, so he's not in.

rivethead
08-09-2007, 07:34 PM

rhetorical question: So is it also racist that you can't spell Aaron's name correctly and he's black?

Considering the amount of shit Aaron had to deal with vs. the shit Bond's has had, I think race is overplayed with this issue, and doing so undermines the staggering amount of genuine racist sentiment and behavior in the US today. Playing the race card for this makes it easy for people who don't want to acknowledge racism to write it off as something that was "fixed" in the 60's.

Agreed. I feel sad for Aaron, but that's just because I'm a braves Fan. I'd feel just as bad if anyone else broke it.

Not a Braves fan, but I feel also sad for Aaron...if you reduce a player to just pure statistics as an individual, Bonds is a better player than Hank, but there's a lot more to being on a team than individual stats. I just wish it was broken by someone who was as good a player and a better person.

I think America still want's heros and role models, ultimately. And rock stars and athletes aren't filling the bill.

rh

eazye76
08-09-2007, 07:36 PM
I agree that we can't be sure if Bonds is/was on roids, but keep in mind:
-there is not testing for human growth hormone, which is IMO what made his head so big.
-The good stuff is undetectable, like the cream, which is a steroid that Bonds admitted to using(unknowingly).
-He HAS tested positive for a banned substance - amphetamines.

And let's not forget that his trainer is currently in federal prison indefinitely for refusing to talk about Bonds to a Grand Jury.

I will say again that nobody knows for sure except a few people - but the results of the George Mitchell investigation will come out at some point, so then we should know a lot more.

strife
08-09-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm sick of everyone turning something into a black/white debate if the focus of attention is an African American (or black skin color). People don't like the guy because of his character, not because of his skin color. Most people except for the really deep southerners that still believe the Confederacy never lost don't even view people on skin color anymore. It's the actions that define the man, and his being a shit person is what defined him. I'm not rooting for or against him because it's so controversial.

nezlam1
08-10-2007, 01:14 AM
Bonds was a jerk way before the steroid issue came into play and blacks tend to defend there own no matter what they did. (Except michael jackson )Not saying that is a bad thing, just the way i see it

The record will be broken my A Rod anyway

Punk Ass
08-10-2007, 01:19 AM
Bonds was a jerk way before the steroid issue came into play and blacks tend to defend there own no matter what they did. (Except michael jackson )Not saying that is a bad thing, just the way i see it

The record will be broken my A Rod anyway

Your right. I'm black and I'll be the first one to tell you that every black person I know was cheering there asses off when OJ was let off the hook.

matto
08-10-2007, 02:36 AM
wow im not likeing the catagorization, whites and blacks. as if they dont have mixed opinions and all think the same. its hard to say but he does come off like a dick sometimes and a lot of people think that he used roids but when he is proven guilty ill then be upset, even though i already have suspecions.

CM PO
08-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Its not a race issue. Its a black man breaking another black mans record. Of course blacks are more likely to wanna see Bonds break the record, who doesnt like to see their own race succeed? The reason passin Ruth was made a bigger deal cuz its Babe Ruth. 1 of the 3 most known names in sports history(ali n jordan being the other 2) Steroids or not, hes HOF. Never failed a test. Even if he did, howcome people arent booing players WHO GOT CAUGHT with roids? I dont see asterik signs being made for them. Give the man his respect.

killerinstinct
08-10-2007, 10:23 AM
http://r_harrison.tripod.com/Agonist/BarryBonds.jpg

The man juiced.

Legend
08-10-2007, 02:31 PM
I find it funny how some ppl are always trying to turn things into racial issues or try to break down how different races differ in opinions on things like this. It's just stupid and pointless imo but apparently some people care about such things.

http://r_harrison.tripod.com/Agonist/BarryBonds.jpg

The man juiced.

You know he probably did but until he is caught then you really can not definitely say the record is tainted.

Omoplata
08-10-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm hispanic and my view is that he did it (broke the record)... good for him. If he cheated, he wasnt caught. If he gets caught then he'll pay the price, but if he didnt do anything wrong it's all good.

The sad news for him is that the record wont be his for long. If A-Rod stays healthy he'll smash the record in about 6 or 7 yrs.

yeomans
08-10-2007, 11:00 PM
roids, roids, roids. shit who hasnt cheat on baseball from the 80's up
bonds was jerk before and after roids, yeah he broke the record so what.
A-rod is gona smash that record any ways in about 6 years or so.
this is not abut racism or whites VS blacks. its about MLB leting this happen no body blames mcwire or sosa or palmeiro shit even canseco made a book about it and proudly named everybody who was on roids on that time.
its about MLB making smaler stadiums, fixed baseballs and leting people cheat, why? because baseball its fucking boring compared to NFL and NBA.
boring game = no fucking profit and money.
yea lets blame bonds for the whole roids era, nobody likes him, hes a jerk and hes about to brake the sacred record of all records, so lets blame bonds for all MLB mistakes and errors.
wasnt baseball "AMERICAS FAVORITE PASSTIME" but they fucked it up or did BONDS?
:fingersmilie: fuck MLB bunch of cheaters

Severn
08-11-2007, 01:50 AM
Your right. I'm black and I'll be the first one to tell you that every black person I know was cheering there asses off when OJ was let off the hook.

I was on campus when it happened and everyone of color cheered. Lot of crying white girls to, but honestly I wasn't really "feeling" those tears. Innocent men, women and children get killed daily and yet they cried over Nicole (and the dude) as if they were saints or something. Might be kinda mean for me to say but I was ticked when I saw that.

Metalhead
08-11-2007, 02:13 AM
The race card is stupid. NOBODY seems to remember, if Macguire didn't break Maris' record, SAMMY SOSA did and he's not white. Sosa got as much attention as Macquire. Race has dickall to do with anything in sports. Get out of here with that shit. Anything negative happens to a black man BANG racism.

mattc25
08-18-2007, 08:30 AM
...just look up bonds slugging percentage,batting average,hits and average home runs per year between 98 to 2005 and compare them to the rest of his career. He did not hit over 50 home runs till the late 90`s. Bob Costas did a great special on baseball for HBO people should check it out,some very telling things about BALCO and Bonds stats. Apperantly Hank Aaron was really pushed by a lot of people to do the video m/s after Bonds broke the record,I really do feel bad for Hank as I am life long braves fan. This era in baseball will always be questioned,I bet money that Clemens juiced at one point,he is what 43 years old still throwing heat.

It`s sad about the race issue,now it`s starting to show some lite with the Michael Vick case. I hear black friends of mine at work defending Vick,saying shit like "well there just dogs." There are a lot of white people that are into dogfighting too. There was special about it on "real sports" the other day,some real sick mothefucker`s out there.

neonatural45
08-18-2007, 08:33 AM
IMO its all becuase he is such a dick, not the steroids or the race

interesting read

Palma
08-19-2007, 12:23 AM
The race card is stupid. NOBODY seems to remember, if Macguire didn't break Maris' record, SAMMY SOSA did and he's not white. Sosa got as much attention as Macquire. Race has dickall to do with anything in sports. Get out of here with that shit. Anything negative happens to a black man BANG racism.

Sammy Sosa was getting death threats as well when he was in the single season HR race. So did Hank Aaron. If you don't think racisim isn't a factor in situations like this then you make be a white guy who lives in a white town... If Barry was white I gaurantee you that he wouldn't have half assholes breathing down his neck as he does now.

Why does the media leave Jason Giambi alone when he was not only part of the Balco scandal with Barry but he also tested postive for steriods twice? Do you really think Giambi just gets along with the meida that well?

...just look up bonds slugging percentage,batting average,hits and average home runs per year between 98 to 2005 and compare them to the rest of his career. He did not hit over 50 home runs till the late 90`s. Bob Costas did a great special on baseball for HBO people should check it out,some very telling things about BALCO and Bonds stats. Apperantly Hank Aaron was really pushed by a lot of people to do the video m/s after Bonds broke the record,I really do feel bad for Hank as I am life long braves fan. This era in baseball will always be questioned,I bet money that Clemens juiced at one point,he is what 43 years old still throwing heat.

Bonds allegedily did performance enhancing drugs (ones that were legal at the time btw) in the 2000 season so I don't see exactly how one season counts for 2 years before and 5 years after. Besides, Barry led the leauge 4 times in HRs before the 1998 season so???

scottsec
08-19-2007, 05:34 AM
Sammy Sosa was getting death threats as well when he was in the single season HR race. So did Hank Aaron. If you don't think racisim isn't a factor in situations like this then you make be a white guy who lives in a white town... If Barry was white I gaurantee you that he wouldn't have half assholes breathing down his neck as he does now.

Why does the media leave Jason Giambi alone when he was not only part of the Balco scandal with Barry but he also tested postive for steriods twice? Do you really think Giambi just gets along with the meida that well?

Bonds allegedily did performance enhancing drugs (ones that were legal at the time btw) in the 2000 season so I don't see exactly how one season counts for 2 years before and 5 years after. Besides, Barry led the leauge 4 times in HRs before the 1998 season so???
If you look at Barrys stats he only really had one year where his hr increased dramatically..that was when he broke the record. I think he did roids but i also think he wouldve broken the record of alltime hrs steroids or not.....the guy is an incredible ball player.

Severn
08-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Bonds has now 760 Homeruns... I'm pretty sure He'll reach 800 when his career is over.

mattc25
08-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Bonds allegedily did performance enhancing drugs (ones that were legal at the time btw) in the 2000 season so I don't see exactly how one season counts for 2 years before and 5 years after. Besides, Barry led the leauge 4 times in HRs before the 1998 season so??? you must be a bonds nuthugger. It`s the steriod`s era,I`m not singling out bonds a lot of player`s in this era are possibly guitly. Yes they were legal and yeah he allegedily took HGH or the clear,but in my mind he still cheated to break the most hallowed record in baseball,and if you really think he did not take anything to gain an advantage then your blind. I did mention in my previous post that I think Clemens took some sort of performance enhancing drug and I don`t think Giambi should get a pass,but he did not break one of the greatest records in sports did he?....so if you want to look at bonds through rose covered glasses then fine that`s your opinion. Fact is Barry is an ego maniac,when he saw big mac and sosa going of in 98 he said damn I need to do something. What I really find funny about Bonds as well,is when he got off the shit he started getting injured and his production dropped of dramtically.....and as neonatural stated prev,if Bonds wasn`t such a dick unlike clemens he would prob be much more liked as player and a person.

mattc25
08-21-2007, 07:39 AM
If you look at Barrys stats he only really had one year where his hr increased dramatically..that was when he broke the record. I think he did roids but i also think he wouldve broken the record of alltime hrs steroids or not.....the guy is an incredible ball player.....your right,but that fact is the juice kept him injury free so he could beak the record,Bonds is great player and was with the pirates and there is no doubt in my mind even without the juice he one of the most feared hitter`s of all time,he is just such a prick though. It`s so funny how he and Gary Sheffeild say they did not know what they were taking,it was "flaxseed oil" :lmfao: ....you guys should really check out his interview on "real sports"....it`s prob still on hbo on demand as well Costas special on baseball.

Palma
08-21-2007, 07:51 AM
you must be a bonds nuthugger. It`s the steriod`s era,I`m not singling out bonds a lot of player`s in this era are possibly guitly. Yes they were legal and yeah he allegedily took HGH or the clear,but in my mind he still cheated to break the most hallowed record in baseball,and if you really think he did not take anything to gain an advantage then your blind. I did mention in my previous post that I think Clemens took some sort of performance enhancing drug and I don`t think Giambi should get a pass,but he did not break one of the greatest records in sports did he?....so if you want to look at bonds through rose covered glasses then fine that`s your opinion. Fact is Barry is an ego maniac,when he saw big mac and sosa going of in 98 he said damn I need to do something. What I really find funny about Bonds as well,is when he got off the shit he started getting injured and his production dropped of dramtically.....and as neonatural stated prev,if Bonds wasn`t such a dick unlike clemens he would prob be much more liked as player and a person.

I must be a nuthugger because you are completely subjective with your posts while I actually read "Game of Shadows" and have followed this debacle closely?

You don't have any facts, just your opinions. Of course he did something, but if it was legal at the time then how is that Cheating?

What is they banned creatine? That makes everyone a cheater?

Your whole argument is flawed. You are basically saying that Bonds is a cheater because he broke a record and because you don't personally like him eventhough the only rule he broke was lying to a congression hearing committe and not doing illegal performance enhancing drugs.

mattc25
08-21-2007, 09:40 AM
....okay Palma your right he did not technically cheat,I just wish Bonds would come clean and say yeah I knowingly took performance enhancing drugs,and I would be fine with it,because they were not banned at the time. I think he may as time passes once he retires. I really respected Bonds a lot when he was with the Pirates,but in my opinion he could have broke the record without the drugs. I am life long braves fan and it really disapoints me the way this whole thing went down,ya know Barry said about 3 or 4 years ago that he was gonna retire and had no interest in breaking the record.

I think A-Rod will face some of the same questions if and when he breaks Bonds record,apparently Canseco is coming out with new book claiming he has evidence against him,he is such a dumbfuck.

Palma
08-21-2007, 09:54 AM
....okay Palma your right he did not technically cheat,I just wish Bonds would come clean and say yeah I knowingly took performance enhancing drugs,and I would be fine with it,because they were not banned at the time. I think he may as time passes once he retires. I really respected Bonds a lot when he was with the Pirates,but in my opinion he could have broke the record without the drugs. I am life long braves fan and it really disapoints me the way this whole thing went down,ya know Barry said about 3 or 4 years ago that he was gonna retire and had no interest in breaking the record.

I think A-Rod will face some of the same questions if and when he breaks Bonds record,apparently Canseco is coming out with new book claiming he has evidence against him,he is such a dumbfuck.

Well, it comes down to "did he know" or not. According to other trainers' tesimony, Bonds didn't know until the Balco raid that he was even taking the Clear. Bonds' trainer got paid based off his progress and results and he told Bonds that he was giving him a supplement after each workout but he didn't tell him what it was. I personally think Bonds knew that it was some sort of performance drug and that he didn't want to know what it was, which doesn't excuse him for doing it.

I agree that it would be admirable to come clean, but the punishment at this point would be too much to bare for him. He would certainly face prison for lying to Congress, and that is why the whole situation is so fucked up and that is why I think that race is a factor to some extent.

The government and the media have turned the steriods use into a "which hunt" and Barry is the perfect target for them. Of course they don't go after McGwire, who obviouslly used something as well and testified to Congress that he didn't; and they don't go after Palmero who testified that he didn't as well and then tested positive of anabolic steriods just a few months later. They go after the one who is still breaking records and has been unfavorable since day one.

It really doesn't seem right to me.

mattc25
08-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Well, it comes down to "did he know" or not. According to other trainers' tesimony, Bonds didn't know until the Balco raid that he was even taking the Clear. Bonds' trainer got paid based off his progress and results and he told Bonds that he was giving him a supplement after each workout but he didn't tell him what it was. I personally think Bonds knew that it was some sort of performance drug and that he didn't want to know what it was, which doesn't excuse him for doing it.

I agree that it would be admirable to come clean, but the punishment at this point would be too much to bare for him. He would certainly face prison for lying to Congress, and that is why the whole situation is so fucked up and that is why I think that race is a factor to some extent.

It really doesn't seem right to me.

....yeah I agree it is a witch hunt at this point,it`s sad really. Bud Selig said to Skip Bayless that he knew dirty shit was going on when McGwire broke Roger Maris single season record,but he was going against the most powerful labor union in sports and there was nothing he could do about it. Pretty lame cop out,but it`s true. The diference is Bonds will make the hall fame because he was clean throughout most of his career and the sports writer`s know that.......but McGwire prob juiced about 60 to 70% of his career. Palmero has no shot to make the hall along with Sosa. All three of them looked like fools that day. If Barry didn`t break the record he most likley would not be facing this pressure,Selig really should have put a stop to this back in 98 TBH,he is the one really to blame imo.

Afro
08-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Walk into the real world much?

Severn
08-21-2007, 08:22 PM
....yeah I agree it is a witch hunt at this point,it`s sad really. Bud Selig said to Skip Bayless that he knew dirty shit was going on when McGwire broke Roger Maris single season record,but he was going against the most powerful labor union in sports and there was nothing he could do about it. Pretty lame cop out,but it`s true. The diference is Bonds will make the hall fame because he was clean throughout most of his career and the sports writer`s know that.......but McGwire prob juiced about 60 to 70% of his career. Palmero has no shot to make the hall along with Sosa. All three of them looked like fools that day. If Barry didn`t break the record he most likley would not be facing this pressure,Selig really should have put a stop to this back in 98 TBH,he is the one really to blame imo.

Also the context of the McGuire/Sosa run was that baseball hadn't recovered from the strike and their HR chase was what brought the fans back. There was a lot of incentive for MLB and the writers to turn the other eye when this was happening.

sandywh
08-22-2007, 07:49 AM
I'm sure that there are several guys here that played competative sports on at least a college level, hopefully you can back me up on what I'm about to say.

When I was playing football in college (D1 SEC School) we had several unmarked bottles of "suppliments" on the training table at the back of the locker room. Whenever we asked what they were, we were told that they were suppliments. If we asked what kind, we were told again, "They are Suppliments!" We all got the point. I'm sure the same thing went for Bonds.

All these pundits that say that Barry had to know what he was taking are fools. I'd be willing to bet my house that Barry purposely did not know. Its deniability. The less you know to be true, the safer you are. Did Bonds know he was juicing? I'm sure he had figured it out. Can anyone prove that he knew what he was specifically taking? Very, very unlikely.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z270/sandywh/Sakuraba2.gif

mattc25
08-23-2007, 04:53 AM
...yeah he may not have what he was taking ,but he damn sure knew they performance enhancing drugs. It`s a bit differn`t comparing D1 college football kids to pro athlete`s. You need to watch Shefields interview on real sports it`s fuckin halarious the excuses he makes saying he did not what the clear was :ahh: :lmfao: ........so do think Mcguire and Canseco did not know what they were taking when they played for the A`s ?....or when like three player`s from the raiders got busted about 4 years ago taking HGH. I think 2 were Bill Romanawski and Dana Stubblefield