PDA

View Full Version : Training for my job

jamesg2323
08-08-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm in pretty good shape and do cardio/free weights/some machines regularly but it doesn't seem to be translating to what I need for my job. I currently work security at a hospital.
I majority of the time is spent sitting(in a vehicle) or walking the hospital and grounds. When called for an emergency it usually involves running full speed for 2-3 minutes(sometimes running stairs 1-8 flights) then fighting/restraining someone.
I've tried to adjust my workout routine to more closely mimic my work routine: After warm up I do 3 min full speed on eliptical machine followed by either free weights/wrist roller/pullups followed by eliptical again then wrights...alternating between cardio and weights. After doing this for almost 1 month it seems like I am not only not improving but getting worse.

Any suggestions on a better routine, especially cardio focused on short distance sprints, would be appreciated.

Clint
08-08-2007, 10:39 AM
I would say try to emulate that as closely as possible for example take a sandbag to the track and run one lap as hard/fast as possible and then immediately shoulder the sandbag 25 times(or clean and press the bag) or run the lap and then do 25 burpees.

Edit: To expound on this I don't quite think that running on an elliptical is quite the same as running and the free weights depending on the exercise isn't quite like wrestling a dude to the ground. Naturally nothing is going to be like wrestling except wrestling but something unbalanced like a sandbag would be a closer fit.

matto
08-08-2007, 12:00 PM
to be honest you might not need much cardio. usually security dont get into fights they just have to take somebody down, and a lot of their work to subdue the guy is pressure points. my brother used to be a security gaurd and learned a bunch of shit from him but you def wouldnt be able to do it in mma. certain pressure points can make even the toughest wince in pain.

jamesg2323
08-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the tips. I know the eliptical dosen't fill in for running....but I just hate running so much. I'm not the kind of guy who can get up in the morning a run a couple miles. I try to bike and roller blade when there is no snow.

We get pretty extensive training in joint manipulation, presure points, take downs, restraint holds where I work and we use them in situations quite often. Controlling the situation when I get there usually isn't the hard part...running to the call and not being tired is what i'm striving for.

Clint
08-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the tips. I know the eliptical dosen't fill in for running....but I just hate running so much. I'm not the kind of guy who can get up in the morning a run a couple miles. I try to bike and roller blade when there is no snow.

We get pretty extensive training in joint manipulation, presure points, take downs, restraint holds where I work and we use them in situations quite often. Controlling the situation when I get there usually isn't the hard part...running to the call and not being tired is what i'm striving for.
Distance running isn't what you need anyways, just sprints. You should be able to knock a sprint workout out in 15 minutes if you are going full power.

pillow
08-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Maybe it would be better to switch up the split of your cardio and weight training, so that you can focus all the way on one.

Maybe do your cardio in the morning, and lift in th afternoon for example.

Or simply warm up for 10 minutes with cardio to get the blood flowing and ready to pump to your muscles, lift for 45 minutes-1 hr or however long you're jonesin' for, then do more cardio after. I would keep your lifts to mostly compound movements for just general strength.

Or try a workout like this (http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=guy.wisdom&category=life.lessons&conitem=de42ad5c08450110VgnVCM10000013281eac____")

I think either of these options would be better than running back and forth from lifting to the elliptical. Plus, one needs to change their workout every 4-6 weeks (unless you powerlift, and even then you need to mix it up). I think this is the root of your lack of results.