PDA

View Full Version : Got a gym membership

Metalhead
08-08-2007, 01:59 PM
So I pretty much have to go to the gym now. I've had nagging tendonitis in my shoulders for about 6 months now, been seeing the chiropractor and it's definatly coming along so weight training is possible now. I'm looking to gain strength and I guess mass would come with that.

Now my train of thought is for the first month, go two days a week doing basic excersizes on machines. Chest press, shoulder press, row, lat pull and leg press. The reason I think this way is to get my body used to pushing weights before I really go all out with like 4 days a week or so. Using the machines to get some base strength before free weights. Is this a good idea to take it slow at first or should it be balls to the wall right off the bat?

Clint
08-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Definitely ease into it but I wouldn't really use the machines. I would just do like the 5X5 program in the stickies (great for strength and mass) and just start out with light weights and make sure your form is good (When I'm of for a while my form drops) and then start adding more weight again.

Metalhead
08-08-2007, 02:47 PM
One thing I find at the few gyms I've gone to over the years is that the free weight area is smaller with less stuff, whereas more machines are available. Like I said, with the machines it's a little easier to ease into, and less chance of hurting my shoulders. I really don't know how much weight I can handle so I dont' want to grab too much for something like the bench press and reinjure myself.

BTW, I went yesterday for the first time, and some of the ladies there were incredibly hot. Just thought I'd point that out :grinsmile26:

Metalhead
08-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Oh and call me computer illiterate, but where is that sticky you recommended.

Clint
08-08-2007, 02:50 PM
One thing I find at the few gyms I've gone to over the years is that the free weight area is smaller with less stuff, whereas more machines are available. Like I said, with the machines it's a little easier to ease into, and less chance of hurting my shoulders. I really don't know how much weight I can handle so I dont' want to grab too much for something like the bench press and reinjure myself.

BTW, I went yesterday for the first time, and some of the ladies there were incredibly hot. Just thought I'd point that out :grinsmile26:
It's just that alot of machines don't follow a correct plane of motion for many exercises so you end up getting hurt because of it.

I have noticed that though that most gyms don't have shit for a free weights section. That's why I didn't even bother to sign up anwhere here in VA because all of the local gyms are crap.

pillow
08-08-2007, 04:41 PM
I think it's nearly impossible to get a good workout by simply using machines. A lot of strength and mass comes from growth of the slow twitch- stabilizing fibers in your muscles that free weights, particularly dumbbells, provide.

If you're wanting to ease into lifting, I would suggest just light free weights and a lot of "own body weight" resistance lifts (dips, pull-ups, push-ups, and if you are particularly ambitious lunges, sissy/single-leg squats, squat thrusts).

Make sure you aren't one of "those guys" who just does chest and arms! Do a leg day, and don't neglect your back, shoulders, and traps. If you're wanting to look broad, those last three are the quickest.

Plus free weights are a lot more fun and are a generally more satisfying experience. You'll learn the fun part of lifting and be able to impress the hot girls at the gym after 3 weeks or so. Stick with it for a little beyond three weeks and you'll start to see results, and you'll never stop after that. :)

Ubermensch
08-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Do more Dynamic type workouts I have had problems in my left shoulder and inner elbow area for ever because of JJ. However i have noticed rapid Strength gains and less problems when I do dynamic workouts sure it is slower to gain mass but who gives a shit. Also If you are going to use a machine use the Cables you can get a good resistance workout with them, and you can also combine by putting the Elastc bands on the ends of your Bar (that you are lifting with lighter weight than you normally lift) to you or your feet to get more of a natural muscle response from the work out too.

Metalhead
08-09-2007, 12:39 PM
What do you mean by dynamic excersizes?

Mass is kind of on the important side, strength moreso. Also at the moment cardio is not my problem.

matto
08-09-2007, 01:28 PM
make sure to always shower, and try to disinfect the seats everyonce in a while. when i do cardio i usually wear a sleevless and shorts. but it is a good idea to wear more so taht u dont catch anything at the gym. you can get rashes and shit from the gym.

Ubermensch
08-09-2007, 07:30 PM
What do you mean by dynamic excersizes?

Mass is kind of on the important side, strength moreso. Also at the moment cardio is not my problem.

you doing it to fight or look good???

Metalhead
08-10-2007, 12:04 PM
you doing it to fight or look good???

Strength and looks I guess. I want to be a cop so I want to add some size. I'm a natural athlete with a high metabloism so the cardio thing isnt' that important right now.

Metalhead
08-10-2007, 12:07 PM
It's actually a pretty decent gym there but the one thing I notice that kinda sucks is there's 2 squat racks, naturally guys like doing stupid shit in there like bench presses and shit so it's always busy. That woudl be ok, but they dont' have any other straight barbells. Squats may be an issue there if I dont' want to use dumbbells.

Ubermensch
08-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Strength and looks I guess. I want to be a cop so I want to add some size. I'm a natural athlete with a high metabloism so the cardio thing isnt' that important right now.
I never said Cardio I Said Dynamic workout's it is not about Metabolism building it is about working out your smaller stabilizer muscles while you do your work out. Isolation workouts will get you bigger faster but you are more likely to have problems with your body or be more prone to injury because of them.

Metalhead
08-10-2007, 03:34 PM
By "dynamic" what exactly do you mean?

Ubermensch
08-10-2007, 05:39 PM
That is like saying what do I mean by "Isolation" or "resistance" "Dynamic" workouts are like doing Push-ups with hex dumbbells in your hands while on the extension you raise the dumbbell (like a dumbbell row) to work your back, or Doing heavy dumbbell flies on the Pilaties ball instead of using a bench, or when doing a one handed tricep extension you do a curl with the other arm. You get it??? There should be books about it if you need to understand it more in-depth.

Metalhead
08-10-2007, 06:14 PM
I do like using the ball alot so I get what you're saying...thanks.