PDA

View Full Version : Mods this is just a request!!

Ubermensch
08-09-2007, 03:27 AM
This sight is looking a lot Like SherDog the last few days and I thought that was what we were trying to set our selves apart from. Why are you guys not Banning these Trolls IP's I don't care if it is a regular member under a different name thinking they are Cute or funny trying to get under peoples skin or even stir the Shit. It is still trolling and is uncalled for.

This place was once a great place and I still believe it can be. Instead of putting you emphasis on some of the members debating some points and calling them flame wars how about going after the immature posts from these Trolls and make our sight one worth talking about again.

Bullock
08-09-2007, 03:39 AM
This sight is looking a lot Like SherDog the last few days and I thought that was what we were trying to set our selves apart from. Why are you guys not Banning these Trolls IP's I don't care if it is a regular member under a different name thinking they are Cute or funny trying to get under peoples skin or even stir the Shit. It is still trolling and is uncalled for.

This place was once a great place and I still believe it can be. Instead of putting you emphasis on some of the members debating some points and calling them flame wars how about going after the immature posts from these Trolls and make our sight one worth talking about again.

The main pages haven't looked much different than they normally do.

And from what I've seen most of the flaming has gone on in the hole.

But I agree the trolling can get old.

We do the best we can, but the only way to make sure they are never around is to monitor the boards 24/7.

2mcgrath
08-09-2007, 04:35 AM

i agree.the whole hypergit/parp/mr.peru should be enough to get you banned if the ip's matched.even though he is a regular member thats more than enough reason for him to know better than doing shit like that

Clint
08-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Problem is that he is using a goddamn proxy server so his IP is different every time he shows up.

Gmunit
08-09-2007, 10:15 PM
are we talking about ALL jokes and what not?? because I know I am guilty of that from time to time, but honestly do take a moment or 2 in order to TRY to word my jokes properly, and amusingly

I think that there should be some leniency on kidding around, however I have noticed attempts at being funny are borderline trolling

just wondering....

matto
08-10-2007, 01:49 AM
just a quick question.
why wont it allow me to post in the newbie section? everytime i go to make a thread there it says that im not allowed to.

am i just too cool to post in the noobie section?:grinsmile1:

Clint
08-10-2007, 02:17 AM
just a quick question.
why wont it allow me to post in the newbie section? everytime i go to make a thread there it says that im not allowed to.

am i just too cool to post in the noobie section?:grinsmile1:
I made it so that only newbies can threads post in the newbie section. It makes it easier to see who deserves out of Nobbieland for making good threads.

matto
08-10-2007, 02:55 AM
good idea but i dont want to post every therd that seems not to be that good or interesting in the general forum. thx anyways.

Howie
08-15-2007, 07:38 PM
im pretty susure there is a way to ban the proxy. im not sure how though. when i am at work i use a proxy for things and when i go to thte sherdog forums i cant look at them because it says the IP is banned

Ramma
08-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Good points Uber.

I gotta say... and this is the truth..

the whole min rep to enter the videos section has brought a lot of trolls. 100s of users are coming out of the woodwork who joined in 2006 and trying to get enough rep to post in the videos section and stuff. And new people are doing all they can to get some rep.

I am not saying we should change it back.. just pointing out what I observed.

Clint
08-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Good points Uber.

I gotta say... and this is the truth..

the whole min rep to enter the videos section has brought a lot of trolls. 100s of users are coming out of the woodwork who joined in 2006 and trying to get enough rep to post in the videos section and stuff. And new people are doing all they can to get some rep.

I am not saying we should change it back.. just pointing out what I observed.
Yeah I am hoping as the old members get in or get pissed and leave it will die down. The new members don't know the bounties of the pic/vid forum so they shouldn't be as much of a problem.

valheruking
08-15-2007, 09:07 PM
^^^If im not mistaken, new members cant even see that there is a pics/vids forum as it doesnt show up if you are new, so i dont think they are too much of a problem, altough gaining rep in itself is probably an insentive for them to seek it.

thumper
08-15-2007, 09:22 PM
im pretty susure there is a way to ban the proxy. im not sure how though. when i am at work i use a proxy for things and when i go to thte sherdog forums i cant look at them because it says the IP is banned

There is a way to ban them, but it's theoretical, and it doesn't really work.

Any time a user comes from a proxy Apache is able to tell based on the incoming client where it's coming from. There are tell tale signs that it's a proxy. You would write a script that rejects those users. I've done it before. But here's the real problem.

Most of the proxies are anonymous. Fuckwads putting them up (frequently by hacking a weak server) then sharing the URL with a list of groups. Those proxies intentionally remove all hints of the proxy, and if that's the case there is no way to block them without a TON of work. And even if it were done there are thousands of new proxies every day.

that being said, one thing you can do is install a hack I used which would tell me whenever someone used a different account name with an existing IP address. Frequently the dummies doing the browsing aren't bright enough to be unique ALL the time, and you'll catch them often.

The most probable issue is that sherdog has a bunch of people inputting proxies to ban. But they aren't catching all of them. No way.

Ramma
08-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Yeah I am hoping as the old members get in or get pissed and leave it will die down. The new members don't know the bounties of the pic/vid forum so they shouldn't be as much of a problem.

I hope you are right. But it is mostly old members. A lot of Aug 2006's and such with 8 posts lol

Noob
08-15-2007, 09:58 PM

That was my thought on the whole thing. I knew it would cause an uproar for a while but I figured it would die down as people gained access to it or were banned in the process and new members came on board that didn't know about it.

I think that has held true so far, things have calmed down from that hectic week or so when it was first implemented.

Ramma
08-15-2007, 11:03 PM
That was my thought on the whole thing. I knew it would cause an uproar for a while but I figured it would die down as people gained access to it or were banned in the process and new members came on board that didn't know about it.

I think that has held true so far, things have calmed down from that hectic week or so when it was first implemented.
lol, I remember that week.. 200 threads saying "Videos and Pics section gone/not working/etc"

Noob
08-15-2007, 11:31 PM
lol, I remember that week.. 200 threads saying "Videos and Pics section gone/not working/etc"

That was such a pain. I immediately though it might have been a bad idea, but thank god it calmed down after a while. That really sucked. That and all the debates about how unfair it was to the lurkers.

thumper
08-15-2007, 11:34 PM
I thought it was funny.

Mainly because I didn't have to do any of the work to fix it :p

Noob
08-15-2007, 11:46 PM
I thought it was funny.

Mainly because I didn't have to do any of the work to fix it :p

Lol, sometimes that's the best place to be.