PDA

View Full Version : Kongo wants winner of Couture/Gonzaga

The Iceman
08-12-2007, 05:01 AM
Credit To:www.nokaut.com

Nokaut.com: How did you feel when the UFC announced you would be facing Mirko Filipovic, who is a huge name in the MMA world?

Cheick Kongo: I felt nice and serene. Iím coming to fight the top fighters.

Nokaut.com: Are you going to Big Bear to prepare? And who are the main guys that you will be training with?

Cheick Kongo: I started my training in France with the Tuff Team on boxing & wrestling. Now Iím training at Big Bear and preparing in Juanito's Camp. The main guys there are Quinton ďRampageĒ Jackson, Brandon Vera, Mike Bisping, Greco, Box, Rocco, Junior, Zack and many more guys.

Nokaut.com: How long will you be there to train?

Cheick Kongo: Until my fight... [laughs].

Nokaut.com: How have you improved since your last fight in Manchester at UFC 70, defeating tough Brazilian fighter Assuerio Silva?

Cheick Kongo: Like usual, I work on my weaknesses, making me better each time.

Nokaut.com: There have been talks that Mirko is bringing guys like Pawel Nastula, Gilbert Yvel, Sergei Kharitonov, Ricco Rodriguez, and Remy Bonjasky to prepare for the fight. It looks like he is taking this fight very seriously. What are your thoughts on that?

Cheick Kongo: Nothing! I don't care, we will see on the day (with much respect...).

Nokaut.com: Looking at the guys Mirko is possibly bringing in to train with, it could mean "Cro Cop" wants to take the fight to the floor. How is your ground game coming into this fight?

Cheick Kongo: Like usual...

Nokaut.com: Are you bringing any one similar to Mirko's style of fighting?

Cheick Kongo: "Cro Cop" could change his style anytime, I do that every time.

Nokaut.com: What is your prediction of the outcome of the fight?

Cheick Kongo: I come for the belt after [Couture vs. Gonzaga], who [ever will ] be the winner.

Nokaut.com: If you are successful at UFC 75 do you think you will be next in line for the title?

Cheick Kongo: I hope so...

Nokaut.com: Do you have any last words and any one you would like to mention?

Cheick Kongo: I like to thank God, my family, friends, the fans who support me to give me the faith and to be real

Link:http://www.nokaut.com/?id=38&solo_news=983&lang=e&cur=eur

^^I don't think that Kongo will get past a pissed Cro Cop and I honestly don't think he is anywhere close to ready for Gonzaga or Couture IMO

Ramma
08-12-2007, 05:04 AM
Kongo is years away from Couture IMO

Legend
08-12-2007, 05:11 AM
Both Couture and Gonzaga can take him down at will and pound him out.

The Iceman
08-12-2007, 05:12 AM
Kongo is years away from Couture IMO
Same here. His takedown defense is terrible. Randy would dominate the whole fight. I think there would be a little stand up, then just takedown after takedown

Ramma
08-12-2007, 05:15 AM
Same here. His takedown defense is terrible. Randy would dominate the whole fight. I think there would be a little stand up, then just takedown after takedown
Even if Couture decided to stand with him. He will push him into the cage and break him down mentally, much like he did with Vitor.. and that will be that.

2mcgrath
08-12-2007, 07:35 AM
i like how he is looking past cro cop.kongo is gonna get his brains kicked out.this one will end 1st imo.and cro cop will get a high light reel head kick ko

Submissionist
08-12-2007, 07:43 AM
1. He isn't going to win.
2. Even if he does, there are other fighter ie big Nog that will get a shot sooner than him.
3. Kongo will never be champion.

Dork8503
08-12-2007, 08:15 AM
With Kongo training where he is now, he is going to get much better. I still hope he beats Mirko.

Randy and Gabe would both beat him because his crap take down d. But like i said training with guys like Rampage an so his take down d is going to get much better, im glad to see him training with those guys.

Anyway if Randy stands with kongo he will get knocked out.

evilkane165
08-12-2007, 08:42 AM
If Kongo is looking past Cro cop he is going to get his head kicked off into the direction he is looking. I hope he is ready cause i want a war between these two.

Noob
08-12-2007, 09:16 AM
If Kongo wants the winner of Couture v. Gonzaga, then Kongo must want to lose.

That really doesn't make a whole lot of sense for him. He is still quite a way away from title contention. It's good that he's confident, but I think he might be taking it a bit far with this particular declaration, imo.

leedogg900
08-12-2007, 12:12 PM
if he wins

kongo vs aa plz

TheBonger
08-12-2007, 12:41 PM
if he wins

kongo vs aa plz

sylvia would be a good matchup for him at some point also.

Warchief
08-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Kongo will never win.

matto
08-12-2007, 05:13 PM
nice find. too bad he couldnt get cc to overlook him like he did to gg. now he is really in for it.

The Iceman
08-12-2007, 09:33 PM
nice find. too bad he couldnt get cc to overlook him like he did to gg. now he is really in for it.
HA HA lol! I must agree. If he isn't KO'ed in the 1st round, he's in for a terrible night.

Kimuras"R"Us
08-13-2007, 03:34 AM
Nokaut.com: Looking at the guys Mirko is possibly bringing in to train with, it could mean "Cro Cop" wants to take the fight to the floor. How is your ground game coming into this fight?

:blink: So terrible then?

evilkane165
08-13-2007, 04:26 AM
That could also be Kongo bluffing hell if my ground game was that ugly I would lie about improvements to hope to catch someone. But I still doubt it's really that improved.

Gmunit
08-13-2007, 07:38 PM
LOL @ Kongo, he is SO Noob Jack City

*all threads containing Kongo material should be posted here*

eazye76
08-13-2007, 08:30 PM
if he wins

kongo vs aa plz
I think this would be a good match-up for Kongo win ot lose.

I understand that athletes go into every fight/game thinking they can win, but Kongo does seem to be looking past CC. I don't think Mirko is a guy you want to motivate, espicially if your name is Cheick Kongo, and you have no ground game (as of his last UFC fight).

Unreal
08-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Credit To:www.nokaut.com

so that means if cro cop takes it to the ground kongo is done. hes ground game is far behind the average mma fighter, how does he think he can take on either randy or gabe right now?? i hope the guys at big bear helped him out with takedown defense and basic BJJ, if he doesnt improve that he has no chance in the ufc.