PDA

View Full Version : Just stepped in the ring for the first time and...

Strikknucklez
08-07-2006, 09:59 PM
I fucking suck!!!!

I gotta lot of potential and I slipped under a couple of his punches and countered but I still got a lot to learn...

anybody out there got any tips for...

*defense-what's the best way to defend yourself from a jab, straight right, hooks, uppercuts etc

*focusing in the fight- I kept getting too nervous and wasn't really thinking about anything

*footwork- I just couldn't get my punches to connect or even reach the guy most of the time

*remaining calm- i kept getting too wound up and ended up throw wild punches and not keeping my eye on my opponent (i.e closing my eyes and swinging blindly or just taking punches to the head as means of defence lol)

Like I said I know I gotta lot to learn and I think I'm just gonna have to find a good boxing gym but any help would be great

Strikk

Alvin
08-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Mate, EVERYONE does what you did!

The best way to avoid the punches (it's a cliche) is to bring your hands up & move your head from side to side. A moving target is a lot harder to hit & to aim at.

Move your head & throw a jab, but again most early amateur fights start with the right tactics, but one punch lands & it's windmill city as the punches flail everywhere.

A little story of one of my early amateur boxing matches:

I was once in a fight & came out with a rigid high guard & moved towards my opponent thinking I got his number. He stuck one jab in my face that connected & fucking wailed on me for a minute solid. Most punches hit my arms, but a few got through. Now I can take a punch, however the ref stopped him & gave me a standing 8 & asked if I was OK which was expected (it's an amateur fight after all. I looked across the ring & saw this SOB draped over the top rope dying. I gave the ref the nod & he waved on the fight. I'm not kidding this guy could barely stand. We met in the center of the ring & I gave him one left hook (I'm southpaw). He went down & the ref waved the fight over. I got in ONE FUCKING punch! My arms were black & blue for days after.

Luis Cruz
08-07-2006, 11:00 PM
I fucking suck!!!!

I gotta lot of potential and I slipped under a couple of his punches and countered but I still got a lot to learn...

*defense-what's the best way to defend yourself from a jab, straight right, hooks, uppercuts etc

*focusing in the fight- I kept getting too nervous and wasn't really thinking about anything

*footwork- I just couldn't get my punches to connect or even reach the guy most of the time

*remaining calm- i kept getting too wound up and ended up throw wild punches and not keeping my eye on my opponent (i.e closing my eyes and swinging blindly or just taking punches to the head as means of defence lol)

Like I said I know I gotta lot to learn and I think I'm just gonna have to find a good boxing gym but any help would be great

Strikk

I won't even attempt to try and help you on here. If i seen you in person i could probably do a lot for you but i need to actually see you to pinpoint mistakes and make adjustments to your style. There's a lot of different techniques and it's different for everyone because people are more comfortable in different ways and doing things a certain way. There is the basics to boxing of course but that's not going to help you get to where you need to be, it'll help you get started though. When i start training this 20 year old guy, i'm going to record it one day and put it on my myspace account in the video section so people can check it out. This is what i was meant to do, i know it! lol

Matt Boone
08-07-2006, 11:26 PM
I can't explain it either, it's hard. Anything I do just is instinct, and no bullshit I got great boxing instincts. My footwork would dazzle ya'll. I'm light on my feet. When I spar with friends, usually just body-boxing, I can avoid being touched period. My style isn't favorable to casual fight fans, I dance circles around ya and just unload whenever I see the opening - which is only in spurts. I'd be a point fighter. This is all against nobodies though, in a ring with a pro on the other side of me I'm sure it'd be a totally different story.

Afro
08-08-2006, 04:10 AM
Practice.

Anthony
08-08-2006, 06:49 PM
I fucking suck!!!!

Strikk

http://static.flickr.com/23/88456523_56da7bd500_o.jpg

YOU LACK DISCIPLINE!!!

JK.... you have to perfect your technique, so that way when you get tired your not stumbling all over yourself and doing anything stupid.

Strikknucklez
08-08-2006, 08:20 PM
thanks everybody

I started sparring again and I did better for myself but I keep looking away when I get punched lol! pisses me off but I think I'll get better

Afro
08-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Do onto others before they do onto you

Afro
08-11-2006, 01:45 AM
I just got 1 question, theres one thing I cant remember from boxing

when you move from side to side like if your jab hand is your left hand, when you move to the left your suppose to step with your left foot and slide your right foot back into your boxing stance

when moving to the right which foot do you lead with? im getting my football and boxing mixed up here, im not sure which one your not suppose to ever cross your feet in but im 90% sure its boxing.. I just wanna be 100% sure on this.

Luis Cruz
08-11-2006, 02:13 AM
I just got 1 question, theres one thing I cant remember from boxing

when you move from side to side like if your jab hand is your left hand, when you move to the left your suppose to step with your left foot and slide your right foot back into your boxing stance

when moving to the right which foot do you lead with? im getting my football and boxing mixed up here, im not sure which one your not suppose to ever cross your feet in but im 90% sure its boxing.. I just wanna be 100% sure on this.

yea you definately don't want to be crossing your feet in boxing. lol

Afro
08-11-2006, 02:37 AM
yea you definately don't want to be crossing your feet in boxing. lol
ya I figured cuz balance is a big part of boxing, but stepping with the right foot is difficult.

ahh damn it just dawned on me, I know what to do now.