PDA

View Full Version : Help Work out plan and diet

808botz
08-21-2007, 04:46 AM
Well in the past 6 months i droped 20 lbs of bad wt. I train MMA 4 to 5 times a week. But im trying to get back to lifting wt also but im having a hard time getting my power up there. I feel like im eating good. Brown rice chicken etc. So im trying to get back some bulk without losing my carido. Any tips on lifting and eating. Ps i cant do heavy wt on chest because my AC Joint is fucked. Pops out and cracks all the time. (and rehab Ex Also) THanks

Clint
08-21-2007, 07:39 AM
What does your training schedule look like? Like what days and how long, I'll see what I can put together for ya.

Ezekiel
08-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Not beeing able to lift heavy weights in a problem. As I personally lift pretty much pure strength = 5x5x85% of my maximum.

So a program could looks like this:

Day 1:
Benchpress 5x5x85%
Triceps 3x8x~70%
Shoulders 2x8x~60%
Squat 5x5x85%
Sit-ups with extra weights 4x~10 reps

Day 2:
Deadlift 5x5x85%
Sit-ups with a twist 4x~10 reps with extra weights again (5 on each side that is)
Calfs 4x~8.. I don't train them hard atleast, but I guess they are good if you want to have a strong guard (I favor the open guard).
Clean 5x5x85%/Pull-ups with extra weights 5x5
Biceps 3x8x~70%

This programme I do for 6-8 weeks. After which I do a 3-4 weeks programme of explosiveness.

Meaning the same moves but the reps are 4x6 and I reduce 10-15% of the weights. The main point is to do those big muscles clean andexplosivly. If you want to improve your explosivity avoid also beeing so tired that you get lactic acids in your muscles.

Then it's very good to train stamina after MMA/BJJ/Kickboxing/Whatever- training with high intensity and alot of lactic acids involved :) Take like 40lbs weights and do all kinds of workouts. You can always ask your trainer for tips.

PS. My own programme doesn't look like this as I have to compensate alot of moves with other ones due to my back problems...

Ezekiel
08-21-2007, 09:54 AM
Oh sorry, forgot that you wanted help with your diet aswell. The days you go to the gym you need to eat alot more protein as you problably know. So you should get your supplements sorted first. I have pretty much pure protein that I take on gym days. (I'm really not some sorts of expert about dieting like some bodybuilder problably is, but this has worked just fine for me and lets you eat normally)

This is how I eat:

Gym day:
07.00 Curd with berries
09.00 Cup of coffee and a banana/fruit + glass of milk
11.30 Lunch, alot of sallad (or other vegetables) and put alittle olive oil on them. Chicken, fish or red meat with as little fat as possible and then alittle rice, potatoes or something else with carbs.
14.00 Banana or some other fruit and a cup of coffee and a glass of milk
16.00 Proteinshake that I sip on while at the gym or if I have time just before the gym (I prefare to drink it before)
18.00 7 oz of low fat minced meat/some other meat with dark pasta/rice or something similar, not THAT much carbs. Glass of milk.
21.00 I'll have a little snack with good fats and high on proteins, could be peanuts or something like that.

Good 7-8h of sleep!

MMA/BJJ/Kickboxing day:
Is pretty much the same, but I eat less protein and more carbs. And change that proteinshake to a recoveryshake after training which will be around 17.00 and 20.00 pretty much depending on the day. If training starts around 17 and 18 I will eat that snack I had the day before around 16.00, peanuts or something like that. If training is lateer in the evening I will eat that dinner around 16.00 and then take that recoverydrink after training and then have the snack before I goto bed.

You will have to check how much your body consumes in order to adjust the amount that you eat. Remeber, fat is that all bad! You can eat soft fats, ofcourse not too much. But your hormones won't work properly if you cut out alls fats from your diet.

Frasedog
08-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Go as heavy as you can without pain. And eat, eat, eat! Good clean meals, and suppliment with whey protein, glutamine and creatine. You need to up your caloric intake. How much depends on you. I have a formula in a book at home. I'll try to find it for you. Basically you plug in your weight, activity level, etc and it tells you the approx. numbr of calories you need to maintain yourself now. Then add about 1000 cal per day and you should gain.

Ezekiel
08-23-2007, 06:50 AM
That's utter BS man! What's the difference if you bulk up with 1000 kcal extra per day or with 300kcal? Does the body notice a significant difference because you eat your head off? Nah, it doesn't! If you don't want to be fat and muscular forget everything he said. Oh sure it's nice to eat all the time, but too much is too much. I eat close to 3000 kcal a day, and I'm 175-180 lbs right now. My fat % hasn't been measured for awhile now... but it's definatley under 10%. Eat smart and train hard. That is the most essential part.

Oh yeah, I do know that many bodybuilders bulk up off-season. But are you ready to diet for 20 weeks in order to get down to a lean body? And then gain all the weight again? Unless you are a professional bodybuilder forget bulking up. Eat enough, but not too much! Eat smart, high protein the days you work out.

You don't have to make it into nuclear physics. It's just 1+1=2. Eat smart (no pizzas and 5-6 meals/day) + train hard = Good and healthy body.

808botz
08-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks alot to everyone who helped me. But bad news. My shoulder gave out yesterday at training. Dont no what happend. It was kinda like a Manny injury. Went for a double leg and when i drove foward my shoulder gave out. Now i can't evan wash my fucken hair. Im going to the doc on monday hopefully its nothing serious. But the pain traveled to the rear delt also now plus i have a burning feeling in my shoulder. Well see what the doc says. When i feel better i will post somemore Questions about workout plans.

Frasedog
08-23-2007, 11:06 AM
That's utter BS man! What's the difference if you bulk up with 1000 kcal extra per day or with 300kcal? Does the body notice a significant difference because you eat your head off? Nah, it doesn't! If you don't want to be fat and muscular forget everything he said. Oh sure it's nice to eat all the time, but too much is too much. I eat close to 3000 kcal a day, and I'm 175-180 lbs right now. My fat % hasn't been measured for awhile now... but it's definatley under 10%. Eat smart and train hard. That is the most essential part.

Oh yeah, I do know that many bodybuilders bulk up off-season. But are you ready to diet for 20 weeks in order to get down to a lean body? And then gain all the weight again? Unless you are a professional bodybuilder forget bulking up. Eat enough, but not too much! Eat smart, high protein the days you work out.

You don't have to make it into nuclear physics. It's just 1+1=2. Eat smart (no pizzas and 5-6 meals/day) + train hard = Good and healthy body.
If he is going to increase his activity level by lifting more, then he will need to take in aditional food to maintain his current weight. 1000 cal was an approx. number. Maybe for him, or you it would be 500 cal or 300 cal. Personally I have a high metabolism and have always been a hard gainer so I tend to go to the extreme. But as long as he is eating clean and doesn't stop working out he won't get fat from this. I didn't get that formula, I didn't have time, sorry. But it certainly isnt "nuclear physics" as you put it. When I did this for myself it gave me a figure of like 2500 cal to maintain what I have, and I tried to add 1000 good cal to that. Do you think 3500 cal a day is too much for a 180 lb active man?

Frasedog
08-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks alot to everyone who helped me. But bad news. My shoulder gave out yesterday at training. Dont no what happend. It was kinda like a Manny injury. Went for a double leg and when i drove foward my shoulder gave out. Now i can't evan wash my fucken hair. Im going to the doc on monday hopefully its nothing serious. But the pain traveled to the rear delt also now plus i have a burning feeling in my shoulder. Well see what the doc says. When i feel better i will post somemore Questions about workout plans.
Sorry to hear about the shoulder man. Injuries suck, just try to stay positive. Good luck.

Ezekiel
08-24-2007, 06:07 AM
If he trains (trained? :angrrry: ) MMA 4-5 times a week I don't think he needs to add another 1000kcal to his diet :confusedsmilie:

I'm 5'10-5'11 (178cm) and abit under 80kg (under 180lbs). I consume 2100-2200kcal without working out. I consume 800-900kcal on average in training => 3000kcal approx per day. Plus that I have a cheatday once a week, when I problably go up to 4000kcal with less smart food. So I think I'm in good balance. My weight does fluctuate alittle between 175 and 180 depending on many things.

800-900kcal is the average of weightlifting, bjj, mma and kickboxing. I train 5-6 times/week MA and twice weights. When lifting weight I only consume 300kcal. MA everything from 700-1200 kcal. Added with the cheat day I think I personally have found a good balance.