PDA

View Full Version : High cholesterol

dan the man 67
08-21-2007, 09:29 AM
I had my first full physical, and everything checked out fine, except that my cholesterol is a little high.

I have cut out egg yolks entirely.

I have been told that eating oats helps. I have also been told that it doesn't matter how much cholesterol your body takes in, it's how your body processes it. And the only way to increase that is by exercising.

Input, suggestions from anyone?

Clint
08-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Egg yolks aren't really that bad. Eating cholesterol has very little effect on cholesterol serum levels.

Fish oils are good to help balance things out and exercise is your absolute best thing to do.

dan the man 67
08-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Egg yolks aren't really that bad. Eating cholesterol has very little effect on cholesterol serum levels.

Fish oils are good to help balance things out and exercise is your absolute best thing to do.

Any particular type of fish oil, or any?

I read on a package of eggs that 2 egg yolks constitute 98% of your daily intake requirements.

Tick
08-21-2007, 10:01 AM
There is alot of good nutrition on egg yolks though so eat one occasioanlly with egg whites.

Other factors to take in, what did you have for dinner the night prior?

If you dont mind me asking, how old are you?

A few years ago (when I was 23) I had a physical and was told I had high cholesterol. Mainly I started doing more cardio, eating smaller portions of steak etc... and ate oatmeal once or twice a week for breakfast. Went back this past february and was clsoe to 100 points lower.

I think the fish oils Clint was referring to is Omega 3, 6, and 9 (but I can easily be wrong)

One other thing I stopped doing was eating fast food and drinking soda. Don't get me wrong I still have the occasional wendys or burgerking meal but it went from once ever week or two to once every 6 months. I dont think the soda effected the cholesterol but for overall health it cant hurt.

That is just my experience with it, hopefully there is something there you could find of use.

Clint
08-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Any particular type of fish oil, or any?

I read on a package of eggs that 2 egg yolks constitute 98% of your daily intake requirements.
no brand but just look for some enteric encoated fish oil capsules and take about 6 a day. If you don't get the enteric encoated ones you will get the nastiest fish burps ever.

Clint
08-21-2007, 10:07 AM
There is alot of good nutrition on egg yolks though so eat one occasioanlly with egg whites.

A few years ago (when I was 23) I had a physical and was told I had high cholesterol. Mainly I started doing more cardio, eating smaller portions of steak etc... and ate oatmeal once or twice a week for breakfast. Went back this past february and was clsoe to 100 points lower.

I think the fish oils Clint was referring to is Omega 3, 6, and 9 (but I can easily be wrong)

One other thing I stopped doing was eating fast food and drinking soda. Don't get me wrong I still have the occasional wendys or burgerking meal but it went from once ever week or two to once every 6 months. I dont think the soda effected the cholesterol but for overall health it cant hurt.

That is just my experience with it, hopefully there is something there you could find of use.

Yeah eliminating soda won't help but it's terrible for your health. If you want soda atleast drink diet, the artificial sweeteners are much better than the HFCS

dan the man 67
08-21-2007, 10:09 AM

I am 40.

I really don't eat a lot of fast food at all, hardly ever.

I'll have red meat once or twice a week. Fish at least once a week. I am making an effort to eat more salads.

I know I need to do some cardio..............I have a Nordic Trac Elliptical trainer in the basement, full of dust. I need to get it in front of a TV, so it wouldn't be so boring!

I will also check into the fish oil.

The doc said it wasn't to the point where he'd recommend any kind of medication, just something to watch.

dan the man 67
10-03-2007, 12:48 PM
What is it about oatmeal that affects cholesterol?

Rufio
10-03-2007, 03:15 PM
What is it about oatmeal that affects cholesterol?

Hm, perhaps the fiber? I may be wrong, but I recall hearing that fibers helps with cholesterol problems.

Frasedog
10-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Hm, perhaps the fiber? I may be wrong, but I recall hearing that fibers helps with cholesterol problems.
Soluble Fiber
Soluble fiber appears to reduce LDL cholesterol by reducing cholesterol absorption in the intestines. Soluble fiber binds with cholesterol so that it is excreted.

Soluble fiber can be found as a dietary supplement, such as psyllium powder, or in foods such as:

Oats, barley, rye

Legumes (peas, beans)
Some fruits such as apples, prunes, and berries

Some vegetables, such as carrots, brussel sprouts, broccoli, yams

Five to 10 grams a day of soluble fiber has been found to decrease LDL cholesterol by approximately 5%.

The FDA allows soluble fiber products to indicate on the label that they are "heart-healthy".

You are correct.

southsider
10-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Yeah physical activity would be one the most important factors, expecially cardiovascular exercise.
Eat lots of vegetables as it has been mentioned, skimmed milk, using olive oil.
Also, look up on spirulina and chlorella supplements.

Noob
10-24-2007, 08:28 AM

Fiber binds to cholesterol and pulls it out of the body in waste.

A small thing that you can do that helped me. I had blood work done for about a year ago and it came out that I had very slightly raised cholesterol levels. I take a slow-release Niacin pill twice a day, take it with my multivitamin.

You have to hunt to find something in the right dosage, and it takes a while to get used to having that much Niacin in your body at one time.

It's not for everyone, but it's an idea.

dofking
10-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Lipitor!

Noob
10-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Lipitor!

:dbanana:

kokaine
12-30-2007, 01:11 AM
man i eat eggs everyday. I better go get checked because im afraid eggs solely might give me bad cholestrol problems in the future