PDA

View Full Version : What do you eat before training?

Palma
08-23-2007, 08:27 AM
I have had a hard time getting the right diet down before training.

I lift and run, but I am fine with what ever I eat before as long as it's not right before I work out, but I have BJJ on Thurs at 6PM and Sat at 10AM and I feel like I am going to puke for the most part. I used to try and eat as little as possible and tried drinking more protein shakes but that made me feel worse.

So far I found this works the best as far as having energy and not feeling like shit for practice:

On Thursdays I eat
-1/2 a cup Oatmeal or 2 eggs and a flour tortilla for breakfest
-around 11 AM I will eat half a turkey sandwich (or a hard boiled egg)
-around 2:30 PM I will eat the other half (or a small salad)
-around 4:30 I eat a handfull of cashews and blueberries
-and I drink 1.5 liters of water throughout the day
(I don't drink any coffee or energy drinks those days)

On Saturday morning I will eat either a handfull of cashews and blueberries or half a protein shake, but I am considering not eating anything at all as I feel like I am digesting while I am rolling...no bueno!
(I try not drink the night before if I can deal with it<come on it's friday!>)

I could feel like shit because I am older or I simply just am not in the shape I need to be, but I feel like my diet is what has the biggest impact.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be greatfull for the advice.

Warchief
08-23-2007, 09:29 AM
You eating well...just add some suplliments like Vitamins/ Multiminerals and antioxidant, that's a good combo for diet before training...especially to the senior citizens.

Palma
08-23-2007, 09:07 PM
You eating well...just add some suplliments like Vitamins/ Multiminerals and antioxidant, that's a good combo for diet before training...especially to the senior citizens.

That's why I drink Ensure you dick! lol...

Palma
08-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Don't forget your Depends.

I gave up on Diapers years ago...I have a Colostomy bag now.

Rufio
08-23-2007, 11:57 PM
Try finishing your meal an hour before training so it has time to digest. I can eat a meal replacement bar and be ready for training 15 minutes later, but I usually need close to an hour to digest whole meals or I feel like shit.

matto
08-24-2007, 01:17 PM
yes never eat a lot before you workout, run, strike, or roll. iv done it before and with all of those and usually throw up. you should eat an orange and a cup of butterscotch pudding before you leave.

dudefella
08-24-2007, 11:44 PM
My pre-workout meal is usually:
2 scrambled eggs, 1 piece multigrain toast
bowl of shreddies (whole wheat cereal) w/ plain yogurt
some oatmeal

At the moment, I work out in the morning. Once I can work out later in the day again, that'll change. I'd rather train on a little bit of whole wheat pasta and extra lean ground beef.

Frasedog
08-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Try finishing your meal an hour before training so it has time to digest. I can eat a meal replacement bar and be ready for training 15 minutes later, but I usually need close to an hour to digest whole meals or I feel like shit.
Agree with the protein or powerbar. That is what I usually do. Also rather than water, I drink Gatorade or Powerade, prior to training. Gets some good energy without a lot of food in your stomach.

brucebruce
09-01-2007, 08:27 AM
I always eat 1/2 cup of oatmeal and 2 eggs about an hour and a half before I roll. Also, I take a digestive enzyme before I eat this particular meal. It really helps with speeding up digestion, and breaking down your food more effectively. This means that you get more of the nutrients and protiens out of the food.

I like this one:
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2134091&cp=2618598.2109035&parentPage=family

krayven
09-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Canned tuna and OJ about an hour before I know I have to be in class.

Also I down tons of water throughout the day.

Noob
09-05-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm the same way. I can eat a normal meal and then lift weights, run, do whatever. But I have to be very particular about what I eat before BJJ otherwise I'm nasueous and it's not pretty.

I had to kind of play around with my diet until I found something that worked. What I finally found worked well was to eat either oatmeal (the more plain the better) or some other kind of complex but easily digested carbs.

Milk was kind of iffy for me, as I liked it because it gives you energy over a longer period of time but the digestion can be tricky. For me, usually two hours or a little more before working out and I'm okay.

The other thing that really ended up working well for me, especially after a few months of eating plain oatmeal and growing sick of it, was eating Lean Cuisines. Sounds kind of retarded, but they taste pretty good (I was surprised), as frozen food goes they're better for you than most other alternatives, there are enough different kinds of them that it's harder to burn out on them, and they're easy to eat and digest.

Hope any of this helps. How's the training going, by the way?

kokaine
09-06-2007, 01:57 AM
man it sucks sometimes I have nothing at home but a heavy meal ... which delays me going to the gym for an additional hour ... that's why I go early in the mornings now so I can eat freely

Afro
09-06-2007, 01:59 AM
Better then me

I eat a fiber bar

then I go to work and at lunch usually eat chinese, or some kind of wrap from wendys, maybe subways or firehouse

then dinner

or I just skip breakfast, sometimes lunch depending on my scheduel and eat dinner

I dont eat enough at all