PDA

View Full Version : “The Ultimate Fighter 6″ Will Include Small Rules Change

Warchief
08-23-2007, 09:47 AM
http://ufcjunkie.com/2007/08/23/the-ultimate-fighter-6-will-include-small-rules-change/

The upcoming sixth season of Spike TV’s popular “The Ultimate Fighter” reality series debuts Sept. 19, and the show’s producers made a small change to the way fights were arranged.

In seasons’ past, if a coach’s fighter won his bout, that coach earned the right to pick the following episode’s fight. Essentially, the process allowed a coach to assure his top guys easy fights by picking off the opposition’s weakest talent.

The problem was no more apparent than last season, when Jens Pulver’s team beat B.J. Penn’s fighters in the show’s first four episodes.

”(Pulver) got to pick the first fight by wining (the coin toss),” Spike TV Senior Vice President of Sports and Specials Brian J. Diamond told UFCjunkie.com (www.ufcjunkie.com). “Team Pulver put their coach on a winning streak, and it made it very hard for B.J. to come back from being stuck in that rut.

“Now, what we’ve done is this. With the coin toss, you pick the first fighter or you pick the first fight. But if you pick the first fight, it only means you get to pick that one matchup because after that, it alternates.“

In other words, a coach can’t go on a winning streak and play matchmaker for an extended period of time.

“We wanted to make the whole process a little more balanced going forward,” Diamond said.

“The Ultimate Fighter 6,” which debuts after UFC Fight Night 11 on Sept. 19, will feature current UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra and former champ Matt Hughes as coaches. The series concluded filming last month.

For the latest news about “The Ultimate Fighter 6,” including a list of rumored cast members, check out the UFC Rumors section of UFCjunkie.com.

Jellypig
08-23-2007, 11:53 AM
I like that new rule. Makes everything less lopsided. And why is Matt Hughes a coach again? I don't have any animosity for the guy but I find it odd.

Warchief
08-23-2007, 12:10 PM
And why is Matt Hughes a coach again? I don't have any animosity for the guy but I find it odd.
He is the #1 contender in WW division, againts Serra...could be.

DarKnight
08-23-2007, 12:29 PM
He is the #1 contender in WW division, againts Serra...could be.
the rule change sounds good, awesome sig by the way

Warchief
08-23-2007, 12:41 PM
the rule change sounds good, awesome sig by the way
Thnx. :grinsmile1:

bigdog887503
08-25-2007, 01:50 PM
This is off the topic I know but.....why is Serra going so long without defending the title?

Warchief
08-25-2007, 02:22 PM
why is Serra going so long without defending the title?
They have to finish the reality show first...so it will take too long, before Serra depend his title againts Hughes...lucky for Serra.

Slinky
08-26-2007, 11:54 AM
i like this way better

thanks for posting:grinsmile1:

Warchief
08-28-2007, 09:41 AM
i like this way better

thanks for posting:grinsmile1:
You Welcome, I do what i can. :wavesmile:

da one enigma
09-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Definitely a good idea on the producers' parts. It was becoming a consistent kink in the TUF's flow of things, and it's definitely gonna make things a lot more interesting this time around with that tweak. It'll definitely make things a lot closer.

And as for Serra, he got lucky with this show. He gets to keep that belt nice and shiny for a longer than average time before Hughes comes to claim it. Dana just loves his Welterweights to a fault.

Jellypig
09-09-2007, 08:44 PM
It looks like, based on the previews we were given that this will be a great season of TUF. There were all kinds of wild shit going on in the preview, I'm gonna enjoy it.

m_babyface_g
09-11-2007, 08:18 PM
And as for Serra, he got lucky with this show. He gets to keep that belt nice and shiny for a longer than average time before Hughes comes to claim it. Dana just loves his Welterweights to a fault.

Serra is going to give Hughes a war, end of story. As for Dana loving his Welterweights to a fault, I don't blame him! The welterweight division is CRAZY good right now, and as far as I can see the future of the division looks even more competetive than it is now.

tattoo13
09-15-2007, 09:56 PM
I hope this season is better than last one, I like the show a lot, but last season was bad.
I also hope Serra wins, just to shut Matt up.