PDA

View Full Version : "NASCAR is NOT a Sport" Hm?

Noise Chopped
08-24-2007, 10:17 PM
What do you guys think about NASCAR?

I'll be honest here - I stick NASCAR on the same tier as checkers and poker when it comes to it being a bonafide sport. The only reason I don't go so far as to not call it a sport is because the term can be so generic.

Hell, if I typed at a quick enough pace, for a predetermined period of time - I'd be as much an "athlete" as Tony Stewart.

I just don't get it. Am I alone here?

2mcgrath
08-24-2007, 10:38 PM
its one of those things that would be hell of alot of fun doing, but sucks to watch

evilkane165
08-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Yeah I watch it when im visiting my cousin, but not on my own time lol. It's a good reason to drink and it goes long enough where u can get pretty trashed watching it :grinsmile1:

killerinstinct
08-24-2007, 11:25 PM
Watching people drive laps around a track 600 times can be a bit boring, but going to the races can be a little fun. I go every now and again and you can feel the cars fly by you and it can be fun. I never stay the whole time though and I only go during the night time when it's cooler outside and I don't go very often, but it can be a cheap way to spend your time every now and again and there's usually a crash where I go. With all that being said it's definitely not a sport. Also you compared it to poker, but in my opinion poker takes a lot more skill than racing.

((Also what ever happened to the moster truck shows they used to have on TV??? Those were much cooler than racing. I wasn't really a big fan of the monster trcuk races, but I used the think the freestyle monster truck competition was badass.))

Thaistylist
08-24-2007, 11:53 PM
I do not enjoy Nascar and rarely watch the races. However, to put the sport on the same level as checkers is ignorant. I am guessing that few people, if any, have been in a race car. How can a person judge it without actually trying it? The skill needed to maneuver a vehicle at 180+ mph is determined by hand eye coordination, hand speed, and balls. Also, driving a stock car isnt like driving a cobalt. It takes alot out of you and prior to power steering it was even harder. Like I said before I do not watch Nascar and in fact used to say the same shit as you but if you only know certain facts i.e. its level of boredom caused, you cannot make a fair judgement.

Noise Chopped
08-25-2007, 12:39 AM
I do not enjoy Nascar and rarely watch the races. However, to put the sport on the same level as checkers is ignorant. I am guessing that few people, if any, have been in a race car. How can a person judge it without actually trying it? The skill needed to maneuver a vehicle at 180+ mph is determined by hand eye coordination, hand speed, and balls. Also, driving a stock car isnt like driving a cobalt. It takes alot out of you and prior to power steering it was even harder. Like I said before I do not watch Nascar and in fact used to say the same shit as you but if you only know certain facts i.e. its level of boredom caused, you cannot make a fair judgement.

I hear that point being made time and time again - And I just find it to be so flawed. To criticize it, you have had to try it? A drivers license, then. The skill needed to drive a car. Don't you need all those things to just drive on the freeway? I mean, literally - It's a difference of speed. Power steering or not, it's the same thing Granny's doing on her way to bingo night.

I just...Don't see it. I mean, it's a sport all well and good - But to me it's just a novelty. About a rung above chess without the megalomaniac corporate sponsorship and the same sitting-stamina. Hope the flavor wears off and ESPN makes room for the aforementioned MONSTER TRUCKS - I remember that shit too! GRRRRRAVEDIGGER > Jeff Gordon.

TheBonger
08-25-2007, 12:44 AM
lets just get one thing straight Poker is not a sport, it is a game IMO the best game ever thought of but it is a game. It tests your mental capabilies not your athletic ability. Whoever said poker was a sport is a dumbass, it is a game obviously.

As far as nascar, I don't think there is any question that the drivers are athletes. It takes a helleva lot of athletic ability too do what they do week in and week out. The question really comes down too, do you consider any form of racing (besides track and field) too be a sport? Horse racing,Auto Racing, Chariat racing whatever the case personally I just don't see it being a sport in the truest sense of the word if some third party object or animal is just as responisble for winning as the human. Whether it be a automobile or horse it definitely takes away from the purity of sport and I would consider it a highly athletic competition but not a sport.

Thaistylist
08-25-2007, 11:08 AM
I hear that point being made time and time again - And I just find it to be so flawed. To criticize it, you have had to try it? A drivers license, then. The skill needed to drive a car. Don't you need all those things to just drive on the freeway? I mean, literally - It's a difference of speed. Power steering or not, it's the same thing Granny's doing on her way to bingo night.

It is no where near the same as driving a car on the freeway. It takes tremendous upperbody strength to drive a stock car. I'm not trying to flame you but your argument is stupid because you have know knowledge whatsoever of the sport. It was like me awhile back talking shit about soccer...as soon as people with any knowledge came to its defense I could see that I was wrong. In this case you have no idea what you are talking about, only what you perceive as boring and exciting.

Also, Bonger I would say it is a sport because a team works on your car and each car is held to specific standards. I could see if one person could go out and buy a something real fast and another person is screwed and has to buy something slow but everyone is on an equal playing field. The car is merely a piece of equipment such as a baseball bat or a hockey stick. I can, respect your argument, because it does make sense. I can see how people think the automobile assisting a driver ruins it as a sport. But each team gets team points along with driver points and they, too, are recognized in post season awards.

twankydawg
08-25-2007, 11:35 AM
I think poker takes more skill than driving a car. I play pool and that's more of a sport to me than Nascar. Nascar is full of hillbillies!

Legend
08-25-2007, 11:52 AM
I somewhat consider NASCAR a sport. Golf on the other hand is not a sport. And I get tired of it being called one.

twankydawg
08-25-2007, 12:15 PM
I somewhat consider NASCAR a sport. Golf on the other hand is not a sport. And I get tired of it being called one.

Have you ever played Golf? It's very demanding physically and takes ALOT of muscle memory. It's harder than hitting a baseball.

killerinstinct
08-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Golf is a sport and is way better than nascar. Golf takes great accuracy and strength and is much more challengy than Nascar. Pretty much anybody can drive a car around a race track, not everyone can sink a 30 ft put or drive the ball over 300 yards consistently down the center of the fairway.

JTS
08-25-2007, 03:22 PM
I agree that NASCAR is boring to watch. However, I do not agree that anyone can do it.

Don't you need all those things to just drive on the freeway? I mean, literally - It's a difference of speed. Power steering or not, it's the same thing Granny's doing on her way to bingo night.

Pretty much anybody can drive a car around a race track

Going 60-70 down the freeway is nothing compared to going 175-200 with only a foot between cars all around you. There are schools at different tracks around the country (E.g., Vegas) that you can pay to ride along in a NASCAR car. You can even take the course that will allow you to drive solo. I can guarantee you will change your mind after doing it.

I think poker takes more skill than driving a car. I play pool and that's more of a sport to me than Nascar.

I agree that poker and pool take a lot of skill to do well, but the skills you're comparing are like apples to oranges.

Buryme
08-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Poker doesn't take a lot of skill. It's like 70 percent luck

thumper
08-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Dictonary.com defines a sport as:

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

So by the definition? Nascar is absolutely a sport.

But I think the real problem here is that people have a misconception that you just get in and drive around. It's nowhere near that easy. there is a tremendous amount of physical strength required. The drivers are at 4g's in the corners. hell the muscles in their necks alone had to be super strong to hold their head up for 500 miles (there's one 600 mile race). Now they've built braces all the way around the driver's head to protect him which means they can lean against that.

On the other hand, the problem i see is that peole mistakenly define a sport as something that compares completley physical strength against another person or people. That's just not the case. That's one TYPE of sport.

Is water skiing a sport? They don't run like hell across the water to get going? they're propelled by a motor vehicle. Is motocross a sport? etc.

I do understand the point about not seeing it as a sport, but based on the definition it's without question a sport.

The hillybilly statement is a stigma it's always had. Nascar started fro moonshiners competeing against each other in the back woods. It's primarily a southern state sport and since the events can have as many as 160,000 spectators it's a huge event.

The money involved in the sport is unbelievable. i think the nextel cup is a 75 million dollar season and Bush is 50 million. Those don't look like hillbilly numbers to me. If I remember correctly the guy that comes in last place even gets like 3 grand. lol

Noise Chopped
08-25-2007, 06:14 PM
It's a difference of speed. If Nascar is a sport, what makes the drivers on the autoban in Germany? The minors? Collegic Nascar?

And there's the point of a motor being involved. An actual motor - I mean, how in the world can one get past that? A motor. Not just your bicycle pedal and chain, but a whole engine. I just...Can not for the life of me get passed that. Hell - A PIT CREW. Mechanics posing as third base coaches or something. That is NOT football equiptment, haha. That's not a helmet and pads and some cleets - BUT A WHOLE ENGINE. A gas tank! Oil and gas do not qualify as...Just equiptment.

Upper body streangth in Nascar to do what? Steer. A car. Break pads. Steroids in Nascar would be...Cruisecontrol.

Again, I can't bring myself to go so far as to not call it a sport because...Anything could be deemed a sport if it's explained thoroughly enough, really. But what I can do is call it a piss poor gimmick pushed by corporations to sell their crap. It's nothing to do with my believing it's boring - Soccer is boring, but it's a sport with athleticism worthy of the praise it gets around the world.

eazye76
08-25-2007, 06:49 PM
The fucking NASCAR race is in Bristol this weekend which is 20 min away from me. I can't wait for it to be over - it sucks. I personally hate racing and don't consider it a sport. The drivers are in great shape and obviously very skilled, but there driving a car - to me a sport is done with a ball, a puck, gloves, etc..., not a ton of metal with an engine in it.
Is the car they drive an athlete, because that is just as big a part of their performance as their conditioning and ability.
Plus most, if not all the drivers come off as hillbillies - it's hard to argue with that.

Severn
08-26-2007, 03:29 AM
What? Yeah Nascar is a sport. I don't care for it much but it's a sport.

Poker is a whole different thing.

matto
08-26-2007, 07:55 AM
not a nascar fan. a lot of people say that competitive gaming for money is a sport. it is a competition just like a chess, poker, or whatnot tournament. stead ur playin a game on a console or pc.

Afro
08-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Nascar is a motor sport, anything involving competition with a set of a rules can be considered a sport.

plus there is some physical attributes needed in Nascar, like Endurance.

He-Man
08-26-2007, 09:40 AM
I have first hand experience in driving a race car. Let me tell you I hated NASCAR up untill Dale E. died, that's when I started watching it and have been a pretty big fan of it thus far.

The words "NASCAR IS NOT A SPORT" came out of my mouth more than one time during the years I despised it.
About a month ago I did the Richard Petty Driving Experience in Orlando, as a driver not a passenger, I was behind the wheel. The tremendous amount of heat produced from the motor is bad enough, combine that with a drivers suit and helment and you have conditions that will make any out of shape fat ass pass out. Just enduring those conditions is bad enough.

Now for the actuall driving part of it, it's not like taking your sports car out for a spin, with the ac on and your ass sitting on a nice soft 6 way power seat, not even close. 5 point harness, HANS device, a lightly padded metal racing seat. Now the cars do have power steering, but you can't tell because the tires are so wide and grip the track so well. The car feels heavy from this. When going into a turn the right side of you body is pinned to the seat and your turning to the left, it takes a lot of strength.
Now do that for 500 miles 4 turns per lap at 190 mph with 40 other cars trying to pass you. I did it for 8 laps, when I was done my pectoral muscles were sore and i'm in pretty good shape. If they let me go for as long as I wanted I probably would have to stop around lap 50.

eazye76
08-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Nascar is a motor sport, anything involving competition with a set of a rules can be considered a sport.

plus there is some physical attributes needed in Nascar, like Endurance.
In my opinion the standards to call something a sport need to be a little stiffer than just "anything involving competition with a set of a rules...". If that is the case all sorts of things are sports, ie - Micheal Vick's favorite pastime.

Afro
08-29-2007, 12:57 PM
In my opinion the standards to call something a sport need to be a little stiffer than just "anything involving competition with a set of a rules...". If that is the case all sorts of things are sports, ie - Micheal Vick's favorite pastime.
ummm Dogfighting has a set of rules? ya there rule is, the dog that dies didnt win.

Bullock
08-29-2007, 01:12 PM
NASCAR is boring

twankydawg
08-29-2007, 01:26 PM
My favorite sport is fucking, much more exciting than Nascar.

Mirko
08-29-2007, 01:48 PM
My favorite sport is fucking, much more exciting than Nascar.

The best way to burn some calories.

scottsec
08-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Its a sport.

yeomans
08-29-2007, 11:09 PM
i dont give a rat ass about nascar :angrrry:
waching cars going in circles like four about 6 hours is not a sport is a fucken punishment and oh yea all those 873 laps to win the race and drink MILK jajajajaja yea MILK.........NICEEEEE :grinsmile1:

dan the man 67
08-31-2007, 11:38 PM
NASCAR, as a motorsport, is equivalent to WWE wrestling as a combat sport.

Afro
09-01-2007, 08:55 AM
NASCAR, as a motorsport, is equivalent to WWE wrestling as a combat sport.
How in the fuck is that equivalent?

dan the man 67
09-07-2007, 02:25 PM
How in the fuck is that equivalent?

It's a bullshit racing series. Just like WWE wrestling is a bullshit combat sport.

In NASCAR, it's more about the show than the competition. They will modify the cars according to how they want them to perform. They'll give illegal edges to some drivers when they want them to win, or place highly.

CEVANS
09-07-2007, 02:32 PM
not going to read this whole thread because it most lickly just like nascar BORING nothing fun about watching a car turn left

He-Man
09-20-2007, 10:27 AM
In NASCAR, it's more about the show than the competition. They will modify the cars according to how they want them to perform. They'll give illegal edges to some drivers when they want them to win, or place highly.

What is this information based on?

dan the man 67
09-20-2007, 01:03 PM
What is this information based on?

I once read a story in one of the car magazines all about this. It was a few years ago at least. It was either Road & Track, Motor Trend, or Car and Driver.

thumper
09-21-2007, 03:02 AM
You should read a lot more about it before making that statement.

I have first hand experience in driving a race car. Let me tell you I hated NASCAR up untill Dale E. died, that's when I started watching it and have been a pretty big fan of it thus far.

The words "NASCAR IS NOT A SPORT" came out of my mouth more than one time during the years I despised it.
About a month ago I did the Richard Petty Driving Experience in Orlando, as a driver not a passenger, I was behind the wheel. The tremendous amount of heat produced from the motor is bad enough, combine that with a drivers suit and helment and you have conditions that will make any out of shape fat ass pass out. Just enduring those conditions is bad enough.

Now for the actuall driving part of it, it's not like taking your sports car out for a spin, with the ac on and your ass sitting on a nice soft 6 way power seat, not even close. 5 point harness, HANS device, a lightly padded metal racing seat. Now the cars do have power steering, but you can't tell because the tires are so wide and grip the track so well. The car feels heavy from this. When going into a turn the right side of you body is pinned to the seat and your turning to the left, it takes a lot of strength.
Now do that for 500 miles 4 turns per lap at 190 mph with 40 other cars trying to pass you. I did it for 8 laps, when I was done my pectoral muscles were sore and i'm in pretty good shape. If they let me go for as long as I wanted I probably would have to stop around lap 50.

I think there are some changes here though. For instance, the guys like petty, earnhardt, yarborough, waltrip etc were bad asses, but today is much different. For instance, those hoses you see in the top of their helmets are blowing cool air in to cool the driver, and some of the drivers actually have little tubes running through their whole suit that circulate coolant like a radiator.

I think it's really changed. This is also the reason all the new young kids are able to do so well. you don't have to be a badass to handle a car like you use to.

Do'nt get me wrong, I'm not minimizing the sport at all. I'm just saying it's really changed. Especially in the last 10 yeras.

Noise Chopped
09-21-2007, 07:39 AM
And that dirty little secret of drivers pissing and shitting all over themselves, pee-yoo! NASCARR stinks, :afro:.

dan the man 67
09-21-2007, 04:32 PM
The biggest reason why I say NASCAR is a bullshit series is because it is predominantly run on ovals. I am not saying that driving at that kind of speed is easy, but it is easy compared to doing road courses. On an oval, or tri-oval, you have 3 or 4 turns, and that's it - always in the same direction. Passing is done by getting a tow in a draft, and slingshotting by.

On a road course, there is far more skilled involved, since there is an infinite amount of styles of curves that exist. It's not a curve-straight-curve-straight sequence. The type of driving style does not vary immensely from one oval to the next. Road courses tend to be completely different from each other.

The best example I can think of is when Nigel Mansell, a Formula 1 World Champ made the switch to CART, a series that did have many ovals in a season. The guy won his very 1st ever oval race, and he did it by using lines through the curves more akin to how you would do it on a road course. He went on to win the Championship. Now I know that is not NASCAR - I am just comparing skill level of oval racers versus road course racers.

Mac
09-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Nacar is sport in the way of it being a competition. It is not however an athletic competition.

Steel
09-22-2007, 01:53 AM
I just can't get into it...and I think this the first time I have ever posted in this section of the forum..is there a wet bar here?

jollyDV
09-22-2007, 11:22 AM
The biggest reason why I say NASCAR is a bullshit series is because it is predominantly run on ovals. I am not saying that driving at that kind of speed is easy, but it is easy compared to doing road courses. On an oval, or tri-oval, you have 3 or 4 turns, and that's it - always in the same direction. Passing is done by getting a tow in a draft, and slingshotting by.

On a road course, there is far more skilled involved, since there is an infinite amount of styles of curves that exist. It's not a curve-straight-curve-straight sequence. The type of driving style does not vary immensely from one oval to the next. Road courses tend to be completely different from each other.

The best example I can think of is when Nigel Mansell, a Formula 1 World Champ made the switch to CART, a series that did have many ovals in a season. The guy won his very 1st ever oval race, and he did it by using lines through the curves more akin to how you would do it on a road course. He went on to win the Championship. Now I know that is not NASCAR - I am just comparing skill level of oval racers versus road course racers.
As to the ovals not requiring the skill needed for road courses, then why has Juan Pablo Montoya not done well on the oval? Along with the left turns, there are different levels of banking, road surface difference, ie contrete vs. asphalt, speed levels, different tire makeup for different tracks, drafts, debris, etc. I think all these things make every race a different race, and have to be approached as such. It takes years of practice, experience, and talent to be able to compete on the NASCAR circuit. Physical endurance is key as well. As a female, I believe that is why there is not a female racing in Nextel Cup now. Maybe someday..that would be great, but as for NASCAR as a sport, it is. The driver that gasses on lap 450 of 500 is not gonna win, no the driver that can no longer focus mentally, just like any MMA fighter whose cardio or mental strength fails, they lose the match. A driver may also depend on mechanics to get to victory lane, but that is only one varible. I guess you could compare it to a training camp/coaching staff. Compared to say bowling, skeet shooting, archery, I say it is a sport. If it requires skill, mental and physical endurance, and is in competition against others then why not?

eazye76
09-22-2007, 12:47 PM
As to the ovals not requiring the skill needed for road courses, then why has Juan Pablo Montoya not done well on the oval? Along with the left turns, there are different levels of banking, road surface difference, ie contrete vs. asphalt, speed levels, different tire makeup for different tracks, drafts, debris, etc.
In NASCAR I don't think left turn should be plural, it's actually just one long drawn single left turn. J/k - sort of.

dan the man 67
09-23-2007, 10:35 AM
As to the ovals not requiring the skill needed for road courses, then why has Juan Pablo Montoya not done well on the oval? Along with the left turns, there are different levels of banking, road surface difference, ie contrete vs. asphalt, speed levels, different tire makeup for different tracks, drafts, debris, etc. I think all these things make every race a different race, and have to be approached as such.

All of things you mentioned apply to road racing as well....maybe not as much banking and more elevation changes, road surfaces - everything. They are just not as emphasized in road racing because they are not the only things that CAN be emphasized. Setting up a car to be neutral for racing on a road course is far more challenging than setting up a car to turn in only 1 direction.

I am a fan of Montoya, but have not really watched him in NASCAR. I loved him in F1 and Champ cars, but don't like him enough to watch NASCAR - to me, it is a waste of his talents in NASCAR. Same thing applies to Villeneuve, and now Scott Speed. Regarding Montoya - is he not performing well above a rookie's expectations? And wouldn't this be due to his many year's of honing his skills in road racing series?

Also, how would you account for drivers who are in their 40s, and perhaps even into their 50s, being able to be competitive in NASCAR? I don't know if that is the current situation, but I do know that has been the case in the past. You will never see that in Formula 1.