PDA

View Full Version : Putting on Weight, while maintaining Cardio

NixHex
08-28-2007, 03:23 PM
As some of you know i've been training BJJ for the past few months. Everything is going great and i'm excelling at a very fast rate. I've started cross training in Muay Thai (wasn't positive I should do 2 things so soon but i've been able to absorb all info), and i'm coming along very well in there as well. The only problem is that I weigh about 150, and that would be too small to fight at 155... so does anybody have any methods of gaining & maintaining weight while still doing your training 4-5 times a week? Any help would be appreciated, i'm wanting to get to about 165+ if possible.

Thanks

Clint
08-28-2007, 03:33 PM
What you are going to have to do is keep up the training, lift heavy when you can (maybe one or twice a week) and eat like a motherfucker.

If you just eat PLENTY of meat, veggies, good fats, and good carbs (in that order of preference) and train hard/lift hard you will keep your cardio while putting on muscle.

dudefella
08-30-2007, 05:28 AM
If you're going to be doing a lot of cardio while trying to bulk up, you're going to have to eat a LOT. Without cardio, you'd want at least 2000-3000 calories above your basal metabolic rate (bodyweight x 12 for an approximation) to put on mass at a reasonable pace. With a lot of cardio, you'll need that, PLUS you'll have to make up for all the calories you're burning with your cardio. So, for someone your size, doing an hour of very high intensity cardio per day... I'd say 5000 calories per day is a good starting point. You'll probably wind up overtraining if you keep at it too long.

Pythonfighter14
09-02-2007, 02:45 PM
You could have a couplte Big macs. Those things have 36 grams of fat per Burger! A couple years ago my Dad brought me to Mcdonalds after Wrestling season. At first i didn't want anything but then my Dad said that i proabably was'nt going to gain anything anyway and that i should just be a kid (i was 9) , seeing as how I had not eaten anything good ina while I had 8 Big macs. needless to say I threw up that night and the next day.

Anyway just a funny story that came to mind.