PDA

View Full Version : MY bulking routine

dudefella
08-30-2007, 12:03 AM
I wrote this out for a friend that was asking for my routine... figured I'd post it here, since I don't like the look of adonis' routine (no offense, you seem to know what you're doing.. everyone's different :grinsmile26: ).

I wouldn't recommend this to everyone, but if you're an experienced lifter and really want to kick your own ass, this'll get the job done, lol. Anyways, here it is:

Day 1 (Monday) - Back
Pullups: 2 sets to failure at bodyweight, 3 working sets with an additional 25lb
-
Lat pulldowns (using the bar w/ palms facing eachother): 5 sets
-
Bent rows: 1 warmup sets, 3 working sets, 1 drop set
-
Upright rows (the cable machine thing.. every gym has one): 3 sets
-
Deaflifts: 1 warmup set, 3 working sets (pyramiding weight), 1 set at 2 rep max (every other week), then a drop set
-
Dumbbell rows (if I'm up to it.. not necessary to do this!): whatever I feel like, this week I didn't bother, last week I did 2 sets to failure at a lowish weight

Day 2 (Tuesday) - Chest
I start off by warming up my delts with something really light to avoid straining them.. not necessary, but I've had shoulder problems in the past, and pressing movements can aggravate them

Incline bench: 1 warmup set to failure (I shoot for something I can do 14-16 reps with), 3 working sets, then a drop set
-
Flat DB presses: 3-4 sets, usually same weight for each.. drop set if I only do 3 at a working weight
-
Cable crossovers: I do these with my torso parallel to the floor... it HURTS! ..5 sets
-
Leaning-forward dips: 4 sets to failure at bodyweight
-
Incline or Decline DB presses: 2-3 sets, then a drop set

Day 3 (Thursday) - Legs
Nothing set in stone... always do front squats (my body HATES rear squats) and barbell lunges, other movements and reps/weight depend on how my knees are feeling. Pretty easy to get a good leg workout, just make sure you get squats and some calf work in there.

Day 4 (Friday) - Arms
One-arm DB tricep extensions (behind the head): I pyramid this.. start off light, keep raising the weight.. 5 sets. I don't go too heavy, easy to hurt your shoulder with this. I follow it up with 2-arm DB extensions so I can go really heavy for one set
-
Close-grip bench: 1 warmup set, 4 working sets, 1 drop set
-
4-6 sets of any 2 unilateral tricep movements (pushdowns, supinated pulldowns, etc etc)
-
Preacher curls: 1 warmup set, 3-4 working sets
-
Straight-bar curls: 4-5 working sets
-
Alternating DB curls: 4 working sets, 1 set at a heavier weight where I have to cheat a little
-
Hammer curls (across the body): 3-5 sets.. depends how I feel

Day 5 (Saturday) - Shoulders
quick warmup with some of the little pink rubber DB's
-
Power cleans: 2 warmup sets, 4 working sets
-
Side laterals: 4-5 sets
-
Military press, DB or bar: 3 sets (I probably won't do MP every week)
-
Front laterals: 4 sets
-
Bent (rear) laterals: 3-4 sets
-
Shrugs (DB's): whatever I feel like... my traps are disproportionately big as it is lol

-----------
I don't like to stay out of the gym for more than one day at a time, so I only rest Wednesday/Sunday. I don't want my body getting too comfortable and used to resting! :cruzifiedmotherfuck I keep the intensity as high as I can, and don't rest much between sets. The amount of sets on here is just what I'm aiming for... you can't be 100% every day, so sometimes a little more, or a little less is ideal.

When I say "working sets" I mean a weight where I hit failure in the 6-12 range. Personally, I grow best with 8-10; everyone's different. "Drop sets" are just sets with a lighter weight... I usually use my warmup weight, give or take. Oh yeah... if you're not eating properly or getting enough sleep, you'll probably injure yourself doing this routine regularly if you're working at high intensity and high weight.

NEVER SACRIFICE FORM FOR A HEAVIER WEIGHT!!

Metalhead
08-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Seems good but I do have a bit of a smart ass comment.

Why do guys find a need to spend a whole day on arms, one of the smallest muscle groups in the body?

dudefella
08-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Seems good but I do have a bit of a smart ass comment.

Why do guys find a need to spend a whole day on arms, one of the smallest muscle groups in the body?
I don't have the energy to work biceps at the end of a back workout, or triceps after a chest or shoulder workout. Simple. I can't add any mass on my arms without giving them their own day, and it also serves as a bit of a "rest" day since there are no heavy compound movements.

Metalhead
08-30-2007, 04:28 PM
I guess that actually makes sense.

Pythonfighter14
09-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Arms are extremely important!! Probably even more so than your chest muscles (But definitely not your back or shoulders.) in MMA or Combat sport (At least thats what my Wrestling coaches told me:ahh: