PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder press vs Military press

Metalhead
08-31-2007, 12:24 AM
What the hell is the difference....thanks guys.

dudefella
08-31-2007, 12:39 AM
This will probably depend on who you ask, but they're basically the same movement. Shoulder press is with dumbells, military press is with a barbell.

matto
08-31-2007, 01:32 PM
do both, i like them both but would perfer the shoulder press, it feels better and i almost got fucked up doin the military press, luckily there was somebody there to help me. shoulder press is done by sitting on a bench and lifting the bar above your head and back down pause at your chin and back up again. the military press is like the shoulder press only behind you head. i think anyways.? :blink:

Clint
08-31-2007, 02:07 PM
lol shoulder press or overhead press could be a ton of different things.

Military press is done standing with your feet at about a 45 degree angle like standing at attention.

I personally prefer standing overhead press, where you stand with your feet about should width apart and press the bar from your chest above your head.

matto
08-31-2007, 02:49 PM
lol shoulder press or overhead press could be a ton of different things.

Military press is done standing with your feet at about a 45 degree angle like standing at attention.

I personally prefer standing overhead press, where you stand with your feet about should width apart and press the bar from your chest above your head.

yes some people do their should presses to touch their chests and then back up and it can work the upper pecks. i like the standing overhead press and do that as well, but there are more ways to cheat on that then the sitting shoulder press.

Clint
08-31-2007, 03:00 PM
yes some people do their should presses to touch their chests and then back up and it can work the upper pecks. i like the standing overhead press and do that as well, but there are more ways to cheat on that then the sitting shoulder press.
yeah I usually turn it into a push press when I can't do the weight strict any more.

Metalhead
08-31-2007, 06:10 PM
can i get videos of both, i'm confused. I youtubed it and got videos of the same thing.

Ubermensch
08-31-2007, 07:46 PM
I like arnold presses when you hold the dumbell to your chest palm in and then push up and twist the dumbell to a palm forward when extended.

dudefella
08-31-2007, 09:42 PM
can i get videos of both, i'm confused. I youtubed it and got videos of the same thing.
There'll be videos of them on bodybuilding.com in the 'exercises' section.

Metalhead
08-31-2007, 10:03 PM
Ha, they're the same thing.

adonis
09-01-2007, 03:41 PM
The only differnce between a Military press and traditional shoulder press is your posture.

For the Military press, the torso remians erect, the feet shoudler width apart, shoulder width grip on the bar.

You will need to retract your chin a bit further (than traditional press), and simply stay as tihgt postuarrly as you can and press.

Ideally you would always look like a soldier standing at attention.

Dumbbells, barbells, kettlebells, bands, those are all jsut other impliments toperform the same movement.

I like to add Military press in sometimes because it requires an extreme amount of abdominal bracing (static).