PDA

View Full Version : Maskaev stops Rahman in 12th round to win WBC heavyweight title

Matt Boone
08-13-2006, 12:04 AM
The following is off the AP Newswire:

Maskaev stops Rahman in 12th round to win WBC heavyweight title

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer
August 13, 2006

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Oleg Maskaev stopped Hasim Rahman in the 12th round Saturday night with a dramatic last-minute rally to win the WBC heavyweight title.

Maskaev (33-5, 26 KOs) seemed headed for a narrow defeat in an entertaining fight until he sprung to life in the final round, knocking the champion into the ropes with a series of heavy blows.

Rahman (41-6-2), obviously hurt after setting the pace early on, desperately tried to hold on until the final bell, even grabbing Maskaev's leg as he stumbled to the mat -- but referee Jay Nady stopped the fight with 43 seconds left after one last beating.

Rahman was the only U.S.-born heavyweight champion left in a division long dominated by Americans -- but Maskaev is a naturalized citizen who lives in Staten Island. Three Eastern European champions hold the other significant belts.

Their 1999 fight went down in highlight history, thanks to Maskaev's stunning eighth-round right hand to Rahman's head. The punch knocked Rahman out cold and sent him tumbling through the ropes, over the broadcast table and onto the apron around the ring.

Salvy_Mic
08-14-2006, 02:01 AM
So the Red Curtain runs across the Heavyweight Division.... Not to worry, once Valuev faces anyone with real talent and power, he's done for. Then again, Don King is his manager, so he might be fighting cupcakes for a long time. The winner of Toney/Peter gets a shot at Maskaev, either of whom will enter the fight as a heavy favorite. I don't know too much about Liakhovitch, except he won a close exciting fight with Brewster, and I think they're fighting again. That can go either way. However, everyone pales in comparison right now to Wlad Klitschko.

I guarantee you two of these four major champions will fight each other, and that fight ought to happen somewhere in the former Soviet Union, probably either Moscow, St. Petersburg, or Kiev.

Matt Boone
08-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Unless any of them get Wlad into deep water. Then it's not a guarantee, but it's definitely going to be a gamble.

Salvy_Mic
08-15-2006, 03:03 PM
It kinda sucks, because none of these champions have any thing to excite the common boxing fan. Wlad is good, but he won't captivate anyone. Valuev's just a freak show and no one's heard of Maskaev of Liakhovitch. If Ivan Drago were champion, everyone'd be excited though. He was exciting.

Matt Boone
08-15-2006, 06:02 PM
I think Wlad is exciting. He's got the Fedor thing going where he shows no emotion in his facial expressions, and when he's on he's damn good. Not boring either in my opinion. Just iffy-iffy once the fight gets rough and dirty and later in the fight when stamina comes into play. If he could patch that up permanently, I think he'd be an acceptable clear-cut Heavyweight champion. That's if he takes the fights that would conjure up that credential.

Salvy_Mic
08-15-2006, 10:55 PM
I just wish there were a few Mexican heavyweights around. Believe me, that would be instant excitement. Anyway, as it stands, I simply haven't been too interested in heavyweight fights. Too many fat guys, and I do appreciate the fact that Wlad keeps himself in shape. He ought to fight Valuev in order to take that title off of him and restore credibility. The other two, though, seem to be good champions. I still say Ruiz got robbed against Valuev.

Greenish
08-16-2006, 07:52 AM
only mexican HW I know about, Javier More, just had his big win over Kirk Johnson changed to NC by commision

Don King isn't Valuev's manager, he just has options on his next 2 fights

Luis Cruz
08-20-2006, 10:18 PM
only mexican HW I know about, Javier More, just had his big win over Kirk Johnson changed to NC by commision

Don King isn't Valuev's manager, he just has options on his next 2 fights

The heavyweight division blows and its not because it's owned by all non american fighters, i could care less about that. I'm anticipating the Peter/Toney fight to see whose gonna step up to make a real challenge for a champ.

Mora isn't any good. That Johnson fight should've been a NC from the door, i almost fell off the recliner after them saying TKO win for Mora and was telling my girl it was bullshit. Now they finally make it right.