PDA

View Full Version : I was penalized for voicing an opinion and I find that very confusing.

Shax
09-03-2007, 04:32 AM
I voiced an opinion recently regarding the GG and Randy fight and it was a less than popular opinion regarding the way the fight turned out. I was slammed but multiple members for various reasons but it became an issue with me when one of your administrators restricted my access to the forums. I never broke any rules, I never used any kind of foul language and I never slung any kind of insults around. I simply voiced an opinion and got shit on by one of the admins and thrown "in the hole". If this is a common practice on a FORUM where people are expected to voice opinions whether openly accepted/acknowledge popular or otherwise than I will simply find another MMA forum/website to visit daily.

As a fairly long standing reader of this site and an occasional contributer I find it disheartening that this kind of conduct is permitted. I consider this a fairly professional website that I up until today held to a pretty high standard. Hopefully this was simply a bad judgement call by an individual and doesn't reflect on the websites policies. Abusive administrators are probably the single most damaging thing you can have as apart of your staff.

neonatural45
09-03-2007, 04:33 AM
you badmouthed randy couture, what can I say? I wasn't there when you said it so Im not sure how serious it was but I advise you to let it go

2mcgrath
09-03-2007, 04:36 AM
if you are talking about not being able to get into vid section.they changed the rules on it for everyone.you have to have a rep of 50 to get in there

valheruking
09-03-2007, 04:38 AM
I think the fact that it was pretty certain that the head clash was accidental, along with the fact that it was Randy caused whatever reaction.
I dont agree with sending you to hole or anything because of it though.

if you are talking about not being able to get into vid section.they changed the rules on it for everyone.you have to have a rep of 50 to get in there
lol, did you even read his post

Shax
09-03-2007, 04:38 AM
I did let it go, the thread is about 4 pages long I made my original post and 1 follow up response. That's it. I was under the impression he got headbutt and images produced showed it was more of a self inflicted injury than a headbutt. That resulted in my forum access being reduced.

neonatural45
09-03-2007, 04:41 AM
I did let it go, the thread is about 4 pages long I made my original post and 1 follow up response. That's it. I was under the impression he got headbutt and images produced showed it was more of a self inflicted injury than a headbutt. That resulted in my forum access being reduced.
but did you not make another thread to bitch about how you were treated?

Submissionist
09-03-2007, 04:51 AM
Seriously, I saw the fight and the headbutt in question appeared intentional. Asterisk next to that win imo.

I really don't give a damn how hurt your feelings are because that statement is very ignorant. No one is saying that you can't argue that GG's nose broke due to a head butt (clearly it wasn't) but to say that it was intentional is very disrespectful and this forum has a lot of Randy fans. The highlighted portion of your post pissed of 95% of the posters not your arguement.

Bullock
09-03-2007, 05:05 AM
I guess the lesson you should take from this is that people will neg you for staying stuff like that.

And none of the admins did anything to you.

Noob
09-03-2007, 06:05 AM
I voiced an opinion recently regarding the GG and Randy fight and it was a less than popular opinion regarding the way the fight turned out. I was slammed but multiple members for various reasons but it became an issue with me when one of your administrators restricted my access to the forums. I never broke any rules, I never used any kind of foul language and I never slung any kind of insults around. I simply voiced an opinion and got shit on by one of the admins and thrown "in the hole". If this is a common practice on a FORUM where people are expected to voice opinions whether openly accepted/acknowledge popular or otherwise than I will simply find another MMA forum/website to visit daily.

As a fairly long standing reader of this site and an occasional contributer I find it disheartening that this kind of conduct is permitted. I consider this a fairly professional website that I up until today held to a pretty high standard. Hopefully this was simply a bad judgement call by an individual and doesn't reflect on the websites policies. Abusive administrators are probably the single most damaging thing you can have as apart of your staff.

Your argument was poor and baseless. Claiming that the headbutt was intentional without any proof or even a plausible hypothesis was a poor choice.

You can argue for yourself as much as you want, none of the mods did anything to you and the slams you received were mostly deserved. It's not what you want to hear, but it's reality.

Maybe censor yourself a bit next time.

killerinstinct
09-03-2007, 06:15 AM
I thought you got off easy. If I was an admin I would've banned you for life.

TravelinMonty
09-03-2007, 05:03 PM
I really don't give a damn how hurt your feelings are because that statement is very ignorant. No one is saying that you can't argue that GG's nose broke due to a head butt (clearly it wasn't) but to say that it was intentional is very disrespectful and this forum has a lot of Randy fans. The highlighted portion of your post pissed of 95% of the posters not your arguement.

The only reason it pissed people off was because it had to do with the glorious randy couture

TravelinMonty
09-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Your argument was poor and baseless. Claiming that the headbutt was intentional without any proof or even a plausible hypothesis was a poor choice.

You can argue for yourself as much as you want, none of the mods did anything to you and the slams you received were mostly deserved. It's not what you want to hear, but it's reality.

Maybe censor yourself a bit next time.

Down with censorship!

The kid was respectful and asked an honest question. I went back and read it again. It really wasn't that ridiculous.

Noob
09-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Down with censorship!

The kid was respectful and asked an honest question. I went back and read it again. It really wasn't that ridiculous.

It may very well have been honest, I don't doubt that. But it was complete speculation, and a baseless accusation.

I don't think he should be banned for it, but the fact that he caught some flack from other members doesn't bother me. He didn't lose a terrible amount of rep, he is still close to having sufficient rep for the vids section, and other than a little pride he suffered no great injury.

Submissionist
09-03-2007, 06:10 PM

So you think accusing Randy Couture of intentionally head butting his opponent is respectful? :angrrry:

And no I didn't flame him or give him negative rep.

Warchief
09-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Who ate my damn green eggs and ham?
I know who did, i will send you a PM. :grinsmile1:

Noob
09-03-2007, 06:25 PM
I know who did, i will send you a PM. :grinsmile1:

Lol.

2mcgrath
09-03-2007, 06:36 PM
I think the fact that it was pretty certain that the head clash was accidental, along with the fact that it was Randy caused whatever reaction.
I dont agree with sending you to hole or anything because of it though.

lol, did you even read his post

yeah i guess i misunderstood what he was saying.because at the time i didnt notice they put him in the hole.lol,i guess im just used to all the guys under 50 rep bitching about the vid section

leelandk
09-03-2007, 07:46 PM
His thread wasn't that bad. Alot of people have been here for awhile and have alot of MMA knowledge. So when a relative noobie comes on here and doesn't know exactly what he is talking about or posts an opinion that is out there, some of these arrogant bastards jump on their ass and neg the shit outta them. It gets fucking ridiculous sometimes.

Severn
09-03-2007, 07:56 PM

http://www.realisticdrawing.com/loyalist/art_supplies/kleenex.jpg

People need to get some tough skin. I've seen people get really, really fucking flamed on other sites that are sexist, racist and anything you can think of. Considering this is an MMA board, full of young testosterone filled men you got off pretty lucky. This board does like to have it's fun but it does govern itself fairly well.

Dork8503
09-03-2007, 08:17 PM
I threw him in the hole. I'll admit that i did it.

He was in their for maybe an hour or 2. So whats the big deal, I usually ban people but i just made you have a nice stay in the slamer for a little bit.

travilingmonty . I mean you say he did nothing wrong but he tryed to say Randy cheated when their was no need to say something stupid like that.

I mean if you dislike the the way i do things take it up with someone in charge, oh shit wait thats me. So if you do not like it i can make you have a nice stay in the hole and can go find someone that you can talk to in their.

I guess you see nothing wrong with someone saying someone else cheated with no proof.

But i shouldnt expect much from you seeing you have a crack head as a AV.

Antiprez
09-03-2007, 09:08 PM
The only real problem I have with all this is that I've never seen the kid do anything else wrong before, so maybe throwing him in the hole, no matter how short of a period of time seemed highly excessive. Now instead of someone simply explaining to him what he did wrong so he can change and look for ways to improve as a poster on this forum he is going to take this incident as personal, and probably take nothing away other than he was treated "unfairly" or "flamed."

Oh and you were no where near flamed. Not at one point did any of the renowned flamers of this forum even show up. Flaming is having someone relentlessly hounding you for days, if not weeks afterwards.

It situations like these where we need a forum approved flamer. Someone who talks a lot of smack and is praised for his constant asshole abilities.

But where could we find such a man?

twankydawg
09-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Grow up dude......... http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/7267/690280te0.gif

baba
09-03-2007, 11:03 PM
I threw him in the hole. I'll admit that i did it.

He was in their for maybe an hour or 2. So whats the big deal, I usually ban people but i just made you have a nice stay in the slamer for a little bit.

travilingmonty . I mean you say he did nothing wrong but he tryed to say Randy cheated when their was no need to say something stupid like that.

I mean if you dislike the the way i do things take it up with someone in charge, oh shit wait thats me. So if you do not like it i can make you have a nice stay in the hole and can go find someone that you can talk to in their.

I guess you see nothing wrong with someone saying someone else cheated with no proof.

But i shouldnt expect much from you seeing you have a crack head as a AV.

LMAO. Monty and his AV are uber-tools.

Highlander
09-03-2007, 11:14 PM
I think throwing him inthe hole was retarded, regardless of the amount of time that he was sent there. People are telling Shax to grow up, but there's a bunch of Couture nut huggers that get all bitchy when the possiblity of couture cheating is brought up. Saying he deserves what he got because he accused a fighter of cheating is bullshit. It's who he accused. If it were Tim Sylvia or Koscheck, people would have joined in and called them poopy pants and a blanket. Having certain fighters that can't be speculated is complete bullshit.

Noob
09-03-2007, 11:30 PM
I think throwing him inthe hole was retarded, regardless of the amount of time that he was sent there. People are telling Shax to grow up, but there's a bunch of Couture nut huggers that get all bitchy when the possiblity of couture cheating is brought up. Saying he deserves what he got because he accused a fighter of cheating is bullshit. It's who he accused. If it were Tim Sylvia or Koscheck, people would have joined in and called them poopy pants and a blanket. Having certain fighters that can't be speculated is complete bullshit.

I would have called him out on the thread no matter who the fighter was. Baseless speculation is irritating, and I think those threads are always foolish, regardless of the fighter.

Highlander
09-03-2007, 11:42 PM
I would have called him out on the thread no matter who the fighter was. Baseless speculation is irritating, and I think those threads are always foolish, regardless of the fighter.

So, you don't think sending him to the hole is overboard? Regardless of the amount of time he was there.

If he would have said the same about sylvia, most people woud have jumped on the bandwagon, with maybe 5 people disagreeing.

Noob
09-03-2007, 11:49 PM
So, you don't think sending him to the hole is overboard? Regardless of the amount of time he was there.

If he would have said the same about sylvia, most people woud have jumped on the bandwagon, with maybe 5 people disagreeing.

I didn't send him to the hole, so I'm not the person to ask that question. There was nothing in my post that suggested I thought he should have been put in The Hole

I don't know the particulars of the situation, I came into this a day late I think.

Howie
09-03-2007, 11:52 PM
IMO, with the rep system we have in place one should expect to be neg'd when they make a stupid remark.

if people like what you say you get positive rep. if they dont u get neg'd. the concept is simple and i'll never be able to understand why people get so cranky when they get neg'd. deal with it.

PS. i do have to disagree with him being tossed to the hole because of that comment. its legit. if thats how the dude feels its how he feels. i love randy couture as much as the next person. but i dont get pissed when ppl have an opinion about him

TravelinMonty
09-04-2007, 05:21 AM

I totally agree. That's why I got pissed about it. It was only because it was Randy. And that's lame.

Clint
09-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Damn I apparently missed some drama over the weekend. Looking at the initial thread, it does come across immediately as at best ignorant and very possibly trollish.

The problem arises from accusing that the headbutt was intentional, which amounts to calling a fighter a cheater when it was obvious that the headbutt was not intentional.

It was also trollish to go about your explanation blaming randy when if someone should be blamed for how the headbutt issue was handled, it should have been the ref.

Bullock
09-05-2007, 02:19 AM
IMO, with the rep system we have in place one should expect to be neg'd when they make a stupid remark.

if people like what you say you get positive rep. if they dont u get neg'd. the concept is simple and i'll never be able to understand why people get so cranky when they get neg'd. deal with it.

PS. i do have to disagree with him being tossed to the hole because of that comment. its legit. if thats how the dude feels its how he feels. i love randy couture as much as the next person. but i dont get pissed when ppl have an opinion about him

Pretty much sums the situation up IMO.

But I will always back an admin when they make a call like this, b/c that what admins are supposed to do. Admins were given the power to use it. Are we perfect? No, but we do our best.

Noob
09-05-2007, 03:21 AM
Pretty much sums the situation up IMO.

But I will always back an admin when they make a call like this, b/c that what admins are supposed to do. Admins were given the power to use it. Are we perfect? No, but we do our best.

Agreed. I tend to always side with the other admins and mods. Just for the sake of a united front.

Jza
09-05-2007, 03:27 AM
well in my slightly biased opinion I think he was right for doing it.
Ok it's not gonna affect randy that you called him a cheater but if you were saying it about a lesser known fighter and a promoter saw it it could affect their bookings.
I can't see how it is acceptable to accuse him just because he's famous.
But yea as I said probably a biased opinion on my part

Boo
09-08-2007, 05:11 PM

You've pretty much summed up my opinion on this Howie.

I've seen a ton of unsubstantiated slamming of fighters that I haven't appreciated. The difference is that they aren't popular like Randy. If you are going to punish people for having an opinion, then be consistent about it, whether you personally like the fighter or not.

Dork8503
09-08-2007, 09:35 PM
I have already told him sorry an that i went to far, so its all cool now

Steel
09-08-2007, 10:15 PM

I agree with Insano. Unless your last name is Couture and you were discussing the "Big Plan" to headbutt around the 4th of July barbecue, stating you know it was intentional will get you flamed to the point that admins will have to step in just to save you from the rest of the community.

Noob
09-09-2007, 01:29 AM
I agree with Insano. Unless your last name is Couture and you were discussing the "Big Plan" to headbutt around the 4th of July barbecue, stating you know it was intentional will get you flamed to the point that admins will have to step in just to save you from the rest of the community.

And not only that, but making a thread to complain about the treatment you've received makes you seem whiny and immediately takes away some of the sympathy I am going to feel for you.

Just because you are voicing an opinion does not preclude you from being an asshole. I'm not saying this guy was being an asshole, but as a general rule this statement is true.

evilkane165
09-09-2007, 02:29 AM
And not only that, but making a thread to complain about the treatment you've received makes you seem whiny and immediately takes away some of the sympathy I am going to feel for you.

Just because you are voicing an opinion does not preclude you from being an asshole. I'm not saying this guy was being an asshole, but as a general rule this statement is true.
Exactly what i think of the whole thing, but I was too nice to say it. Honestly a 2 hour stay in the hole may seem harsh but damn he has the power to send u away for ever be glad he didn't.

Noob
09-09-2007, 02:42 AM
Exactly what i think of the whole thing, but I was too nice to say it. Honestly a 2 hour stay in the hole may seem harsh but damn he has the power to send u away for ever be glad he didn't.

People get too upset about being sent to The Hole. I'm not sure if it's a pride thing or what. So you got sent to The Hole, grow up. The mods are here to keep the site clean, and if you're interfering with that then you're going in.

Besides, the percentage of people that get tossed in The Hole that deserve to be there has to be around 98%. It's not like we send that many people there in the first place. It's rare that someone gets sent there if they don't deserve it.

And if it's just for a few days, deal with it. I'm tired (it's 3am here) and I've had to deal with a few people today. When I get tired I have so much less tolerance for this stuff.

I'm cranky, can you tell?

Bullock
09-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Abuse of power! Abuse of Power! Truant! Truant!

LebenTysonTank
09-09-2007, 10:55 PM

lol Bullock sounding like a cop giving a speech after Rodney King...you damn mods are like the Bush administration!!! :smileflag:

Clint
09-09-2007, 11:02 PM
lol Bullock sounding like a cop giving a speech after Rodney King...you damn mods are like the Bush administration!!! :smileflag:
Hey whenever you question the admins, the troll win. :ahh: